Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Lola!! I know what you mean! Amazing, the power of our avatars!

Fin, great job on surfing over that crave wave! It's hard at first, but once you tell your head NO, HELL NO...it does get easier. Great going!!

PF, it's a habit....and you will fall into this one, just as we fell into the last one. I am so happy for you...your posts sound totally different than they did 45 days ago. You are kicking it down, girl!!

Lav, I hope your chickens can float! We're getting drenched down here in Carolina!

Stay strong today, make it an AF Wednesday no madda what and no madda who!!! B
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

stumpy;1386776 wrote: I am having major problems sleeping. The last four nights I might have slept a total of 10 hours, 8 of them last night. When I try to sleep, my body gets really itchy, whats up with that? The non sleeping part has been going on for three weeks but the icthy part has been the last few nights. Is this normal when your body is trying to clean itself?
      I almost want to drink just so I can sleep. Has anyone else gone through this during detox? I didn't think detox would/could last this long.
      Have you tried any sleep aids? I take Tylenol PM. Also - maybe your itching isn't from detox. Maybe you are just noticing it more now? You could be having allergies. Or - if you're in a place where the seasons are changing, itching from that? Try some itchy lotion! Lots of products proclaim they help with that!

Or is it itchy nerves? I get restless leg syndrome.
      I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Stump -

Yes - couldn't sleep worth a CRAP. I can take Melatonin but it wasn't enough. My body was totally screwed up. So - here's the rest of the Prairie - I WILL SLEEP GD IT cocktail. (which works btw) Magnesium/Taurine/Inositol (all singles and store branded - can get either Vitamin Shoppe or GNC) PLUS Valerian/Hops/PassionFlower or Chamomile combo AND L-Theanine (kind of expensive - get Suntheanine version) L-Theanine is actually shown on brain scans to soothe your brain waves to a calmer pattern in half an hour. You put that mix in all at once and you will be CHILLIN. I defy you to be awake actually but if you can - I stand in awe. I add melatonin to that and my little sleep meter shows I move to deep sleep - instead of a normal 1.5 hour cycle - for 6 hours straight. That's called - stand on top of me and yell fire. I'm not going anywhere. I'm literally - dead to the world for 4 times the normal sleep cycle length. The brain goes AWWWWWWWW. Heal me.
        That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
        Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
        AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

hey prairie do you have a ZEO?
          ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Stumpy,

I have started using the Calm Forte the program recommends. I take 2 half an hour before bed, then start reading until my eyes get heavy. You might add this to some of the other ideas - it is homeopathic, and completely benign. I also take it sometimes during the day - it helps with heavy anxiety. That's what disturbs my sleep at night - the 3:00am racing mind and racing heart.
            "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am anything BUT a newbie but am on day 7 of my final quit and heard there was a full moon rising... hint hint... a little birdie told me to visit the nest to see it..

Because I am a senior member, I have laid low around this thread but wished I could be part of it.

Is there a criteria for being here?

Do old timers post here?
              Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
              ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Newbies Nest

Coping with exhaustion

Looking for your guidance on how to cope in the early days.

It's day 2. I didn't plan this commitment on the practical side - right in the middle of a busy work week. I did sleep last night, but am so spacy and exhausted. I am not *sharing* this journey with my work colleagues, so need to be on the job. How do you fake it till you feel better?
                "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tipp!!! 7 BIG DAYS DOES get you a full moon!!!!!!!! :moon: I am SO proud of you! There is always a place for someone to help another person here!!! I'll scooch over, sit by me, me, me!!! I'm so happy for you! :goodjob: Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters!
                    I am back with a new Avatar (so as not to confuse anyone -since my old one has been used by someone else now). And I also have a new plan!
                    I have continued to lurk here daily for months and months, but with the best of intentions have not been able to get past day 3 or 4 in quite some time (with one exception of 6 days, last month). I learn so much from all of you each and every day and am determined to make it 30 days this time (and forever after that). I have been using this site for about one year now and truly feel like I personally know some of you (Byrdie and Lav, Lola and K-9 to name a few that I know have been on here daily!)
                    I started over on Oct. 1 and today is Day 3 for me. I feel good today. I have also weaned myself off all my (depression) medications- and am proud of that, although it is very hard.
                    My plan includes sticking close to the nest. I think I will use ?super-glue? rather than Velcro, this time. I am following a high protein, low carb diet and make sure I eat plenty! I am journaling daily. I am keeping myself well-hydrated with plenty of water and herbal teas. I treat myself to tonic and lime or Perrier water in the evenings. I get plenty of rest.
                    I think I have finally gotten to the point that I HATE AL!!! It has been a source of sadness, hurt and anger for me for almost my entire life and I am ready to get it out of my life for good! I know I can?t repair all the damage it has caused, but I can put a stop to it!
                    Today is one of my daughters? birthday. My plan for after work is to fix a nice dinner for her and have a nice family evening ?one I will remember tomorrow. Will check in tomorrow and let you all know how it went. Thanks to each and everyone of you for your posts. Like Byrdie says- we are all in this together- We can do this!
                    :hStar
                    :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

The Noise

Catbuddy;1386805 wrote: it helps with heavy anxiety. That's what disturbs my sleep at night - the 3:00am racing mind and racing heart.
                      From the book There's More To Quiting Drinking Than Quiting Drinking By Dr. Paul O.

Furthmore, while my computer gives off a rather pleasant, mild, steady hum, my brain commonly puts out ceaseless chatter of varying intensity. Before I realize what was going on, this drove me to drink.

In sobriety I?ve come to realize that my mind talks to me. It talks all the time, day and night, it doesn?t do any physical work, it just talks. Talk, talk, talk, talk. And by its talking , it controls my thinking, my feelings, my actions ? my life.

In years past, I tried to control the talking with chemicals. Today I avoid all mind-altering substances. Even a mild drug like caffeine stimulates the talk to talktalktalktalk, and at bedtime when my body wants to go to sleep, my mind insists, ?No, let?s lie here and talk awhile. After I get to sleep, around 3:00am it sometimes shouts, ?Hey, wake up! We?ve had an emergency meeting up here and we need to talk to you. You know that situation you handled so well today? Well, it wasn?t like that at all! People are really upset with you Wait till morning. You?ll find out!?

I decide not to listen to such nonsense. I roll over and go back to sleep. Just as I?m about to lose consciousness, I think, ?Boy, I?m sure glad I?m not thinking about that anymore.? But my mind hears me thinking and calls out, ?Oh, I?m glad you?re still awake. You know, that?s not the only dumb things you?ve done. You did the same things about six months ago??.. In fact, you?re about the dumbest people we?ve ever met.?
                      ?????..
                      ?????.
                      ?????.
                      ........my day is ruined even before it started. Evening meetings come too late in the day to take care of this problem. So I convinced my friends to help me start a meeting the first thing in the morning, seven days a week.

We call them ?Attitude Adjustment Meetings.? The format includes the statement ?This is not a meeting devoted so much toward reliving the past as toward developing the appropriate attitudes for living this particular day successfully.?
                      I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Roll Call Day 2!

I flippin' made it to day 2 and my god, how good it feels. Too many good little details to share from last night to this AM to share. All I can say is AF is absolutely the way to go.

Please-please give me the strength to continue...
                        Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                        Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone!

Starfish1 welcome back. I'm a lurker like you. Not that i don't want to post. It's just by the time I get done reading I'm either too tired or out of time!

Well, I accomplished my 7 day goal...barely. Sunday night was a going away party for one of my bfs. It was at a club so didn't start until 11pm, I had my first drink at 12:01am. Barely making the goal. But I dodge some really big obstacles including a pitcher of Bloody Marys and wine tasting/ shopping. So, I'm going to give myself a win.

Yeah...; if it could only end there. And I hear the angels singing right now, "But it can!"

However, I'm stubborn...I guess...Monday woke up with a huge hangover. Only had 4 drinks, but I guess after not drinking a week?

I can't believe it's only been two days...Monday, Tuesday and now it is Wednesday morn. In this short time of drinking again I have managed to talk myself out of 2 meetings at work and sleep through tennis plans with a friend. Leaving him at the court calling my phone while I was passed out. And now it is before noon and I'm having a drink.

Yes, this is why I hate AL. I know I need to get it out of my life, but I feel as though it needs to be on my terms. Went a month earlier this year, but it was a Whiteknuckle event. Now I'm listening to the hypno cds and reading Allan Carr's book and really feeling a shift in my thinking.

I'm truly learning to enjoy my AF time. Even giddy, "Hey, look at me! 10pm and driving!"

I'm not sure were I was going with this. I don't even want to re read because I might not have the courage to post, so forgive my grammatical errors!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Fin, I have been following your posts, Way to go on day 2. I'm about 8 days into this again lol. I will not slip a sip again, it's not worth putting my body through the detox. You can do this, I know you can.
                            AF since 8/29/12 Goal 30 day-screwed up on day 9
                            AF since 9/9/12- Goal 30 days
                            STUMPY IS A LADY!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Starfish1;1386813 wrote: Hello Nesters!
                              I am back with a new Avatar (so as not to confuse anyone -since my old one has been used by someone else now). And I also have a new plan!
                              I have continued to lurk here daily for months and months, but with the best of intentions have not been able to get past day 3 or 4 in quite some time (with one exception of 6 days, last month). I learn so much from all of you each and every day and am determined to make it 30 days this time (and forever after that). I have been using this site for about one year now and truly feel like I personally know some of you (Byrdie and Lav, Lola and K-9 to name a few that I know have been on here daily!)
                              I started over on Oct. 1 and today is Day 3 for me. I feel good today. I have also weaned myself off all my (depression) medications- and am proud of that, although it is very hard.
                              My plan includes sticking close to the nest. I think I will use ?super-glue? rather than Velcro, this time. I am following a high protein, low carb diet and make sure I eat plenty! I am journaling daily. I am keeping myself well-hydrated with plenty of water and herbal teas. I treat myself to tonic and lime or Perrier water in the evenings. I get plenty of rest.
                              I think I have finally gotten to the point that I HATE AL!!! It has been a source of sadness, hurt and anger for me for almost my entire life and I am ready to get it out of my life for good! I know I can?t repair all the damage it has caused, but I can put a stop to it!
                              Today is one of my daughters? birthday. My plan for after work is to fix a nice dinner for her and have a nice family evening ?one I will remember tomorrow. Will check in tomorrow and let you all know how it went. Thanks to each and everyone of you for your posts. Like Byrdie says- we are all in this together- We can do this!
                              :hStar
                              Starfish! Great going! Great attitide.

Comment

Newbies Nest

stumpy;1386845 wrote: Hi Fin, I have been following your posts, Way to go on day 2. I'm about 8 days into this again lol. I will not slip a sip again, it's not worth putting my body through the detox. You can do this, I know you can.
                                Nice, Stumpy! 8 days is awesome. I'm chasing you so don't let me catch you, ok?
                                Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                                Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Working...
                                X