Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Wow Allan. That is great! Not an easy thing to attempt.

No wonder typical boozers don't like sober people...LOL!!!

Fin it actually feels a little bit surreal for me to be saying it too. Never did I think I could do this. :-)

Goodnight everybody! Gotta go upstairs and see why everybody's so quiet already!
    ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

:H:H YOUR 15TH COLONOSCOPY BYRDIE??? REALLY??? :H:H
      I'm sorry - just glad you are home safe & sound tonight.:l

Anyone heading out to a party or other booze fest - please, please plan ahead (like Daisy just mentioned) & have an early exit strategy (headache, early appointment, etc). If you feel yourself in danger of slipping, then just get the hell out! Protect your quits at all costs

I can't believe how early the sun is setting these days. I hope everyone has a safe night in the nest - will leave the porch light on!!
      Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lav...it's not nice to laugh at people who have to get 15 colonoscopies....it's a Karma thing.....Bwahahaa..

Allan, I'm so proud of you...I really am. I don't know what J20 is, but I usually just get water with lime and I don't ususally get charged at all....therefore, no one expects me to pick up a round or a check...they holler out, OH YOU JUST GOT THE WATERRRRR. then they look at each other, and say ,she can't pay, she just got the water? So I ride free. Sorry you had to pay....might need to work that a little there. Nonetheless, it took guts to go....after that first little bit of awkward time when ordering, it smooths out and itsn't bad at all. Glad you were saved all the I love you man's at the end of the evening. This was a big moment for you.....so you know what to expect next time....well played. these letters are jumping around a bit...think it's time for bed...I feel a great sense of peace here tonight.....all is good. Night nesters.....love to all. B
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Allan - :goodjob: - well proud of you mate. I really don't think i could do a whole evening in a pub right now - especially with ol' drinking buddies. I still harbour the very romaticised view of the pubs i used to drink in - old fashioned ones, with a roaring fire and a small group of mates deep in conversation over a few Guinness. But 3 Guinness was rarely enough for me... and I'd be wanting to do that every night, not just once or twice a week.

Anyway, I'm proud of you. And as Byrdie says - sorry about having to fork out for the rounds. That's a bit shite really. Similar to B, at work last night i ordered a pint of soda and lime and the barman just wavered it, so i got two 'pints' for free!

Your story has inspired me to get through tonight, which i see as an equivalent to your evening last night. I posted on the October Sober thread about reasons (for colleagues and friends) why I wouldn't be drinking tonight:
          1. Got the car
          2. Got a cold (sadly, true ... )
          3. Got in to the habit of not drinking since giving up for 2 weeks prior to the marathon, and worried that if i have just one, i might keel over and make a fool of myself. (OK, i exaggerate... BUT if i did have one, and then a second, and then a third... then eventually i might keel over and make a fool of myself)

My exit strategy i reckon will be early-ish. The 'party' begins at 8pm and rocks on until midnight. Will let you all know laters.

In the meantime - MORNING NESTERS! :woot::woot: It's a SATURDAY! Hope you all have a sexy, spiffing and simply stupendous Saturday.
          RC

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all,

RunningCourage, I thought of you tonight. I walked to my local store tonight to pick up a few items. Tonight was a wine tasting night, with music, food, great wine, outdoor seating and all my neighbors. People I really like and have not yet found my way into their social circle. I almost cried, but walked home without saying hi or taking this great opportunity to socialize with them. It would have been very bizarre to stay - not even any non AL beverages available. In No California, wine is the thing, and everyone drinks it, including the men. I flashed on Scotland, and thought about pubs and mates and how much a part of the scene that is. I bet you've felt that pain too.

This story has a happy ending. My triatholon mate came in to spend the night (we have a two hour drive to the event in the morning). We watched tv, drank OJ and sparkling water, stretched and found out we have a mutual love of musicals and reality tv! It was so great to connect and feel clear-headed. YEAH. Lose some, then win some!

Byrdie (sp??), god bless you for sharing your story with such hilarity.

:h Catbuddy
            "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Catbuddy;1388297 wrote: This story has a happy ending. My triatholon mate came in to spend the night (we have a two hour drive to the event in the morning). We watched tv, drank OJ and sparkling water, stretched and found out we have a mutual love of musicals and reality tv! It was so great to connect and feel clear-headed. YEAH. Lose some, then win some!
              Ah! You do triathlons? I was thinking of joining a local tri-club. I run, but thought if i were to do swimming and cycling that would benefit overall health... Have you been doing triathlon's long? Really interested.

Well done, Cat, on last night. Knew you could do it ... and for that, i will endeavor to get through this evening. Well, this weekend actually. Really, i just want Monday to come and then i can breath easy again :H

RC

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

No triathlons for granny Lav but chasing three toddlers comes fairly close :H :H

About to experience a big change in weather around here so I need to drag in some firewood, fluff up the nest boxes for my chickens, etc., busy, busy

Wishing everyone a great AF Saturday, Good luck & best wishes to our nest runners
                Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Newbies! Wow we are all doing so well. At my AA mtg yesterday most of the discussion was about how being in situations where there is alcohol, since it is all around us, effects us. Gazing at the cold glass of Pinot grigio on the next table over and thinking how good it would taste. How we continue to think about it long after we've left the table. We are a drinking society. It's in the movies, on tv, at nearly every restaurant. Our friends make comments about drinking, our families have wine with dinner every night. we also talked about avoiding those situations and missing out but agreed it was better to be sober than down the rabbit hole again.

Well that discussion was what I took away from the meeting yesterday. It was a Step One meeting. I have no problem with admitting I have a life long issue with alcohol and I need help. I do refuse to whack the AA frying pan over my head and constantly call myself an alcoholic. I refuse to say that I have to give everything up to a HP. I find it so depressing to hear these women say that they have to give up all control over their own life and their decisions because they are pinning all hope on a program that was started for men in the 1940's. And sober. It's always sober which sounds depressing. Somehow alcohol free seems so much brighter to me.

Hey! I think Nesters will be my Higher Power! You give loads of support and encouragement, cheerleaders moons and hats, a place to vent, ideas on how to deal with difficult situations and reminders to just TTDP. Yup, you are def my HP.

Have a fantastic AF Saturday and thanks for always being there.
                  ~nurdl
                  Working on the next 30 days
                  :notes:
                  we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Newbies Nest

Roll Call Oct 6th, 2012

Roll Call for Oct 6th, 2012

Fin - Day 5 (feeling great!)
                    Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                    Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks

Thanks for staying strong, Allan. Us first week'ers need the kind of leadership you showed last night. Very well done and thanks again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Have a bottle of rare bottle of 45% wine staring at me... My friends brought it over from Europe and thought it would be a good present LOL. So what do I do with it? I dont have a desire to drink it or throw it away. Dilema !

ALLAN
                        AF since 1st Sep 2012
                        NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin, I'm just beaming for you!!! 2 more days and Allan's gonna MOON you!! I am pulling for you!! I KNOW you can do it....every single day you rack up gives you more strength and clarity!

Allan and Cat, (really, all nesters)....there will be a day that you can go to these great pubs and restaurants and such and NOT feel deprived!! Do I wish I could join in like everyone else? Sure I do, but I don't feel deprived at all. It's a little awkward at first, but then it is just fine. This took some time to happen...I went thru the hermit stage...then was thrown into a couple of business conventions where I white knuckled it...but then I found my self again...my inner self. The one I thought only came out with the aid of AL. I'm still in here...and I don't need AL to bring it out. You will find your way....I promise. I don't feel deprived at all....I feel free. Well done to you for keeping yourself out of harms way.

It's a great day to be alive!! Love, B
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

allankay;1388500 wrote: Have a bottle of rare bottle of 45% wine staring at me... My friends brought it over from Europe and thought it would be a good present LOL. So what do I do with it? I dont have a desire to drink it or throw it away. Dilema !

ALLAN
                            One word, "Re-gift"

Comment

Newbies Nest

Allan, I made a great cake for a neighbor's birthday party...and they gave me $180 bottle of wine!!! I told them that I would cherish it...and I did, until I gave it to another friend who would really enjoy it. Don't keep it around, it will grow heads and start yelling at you....don't listen, it's a trick! B
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dottie day 6...feeling good!
                                Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Working...
                                X