Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Fin and Byrdie, thats some solid advice. I will give it to my neighbours. Thanks guys

ALLAN
    AF since 1st Sep 2012
    NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

Roll Call for Oct 6th, 2012

Roll Call for Oct 6th, 2012

Fin - Day 5 (feeling great!)
      Dottie - Day 6 (feeling good!)
      Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
      Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

rooniferd - Day 6 (also feeling good!)

Comment

Newbies Nest

Has anyone on here tried or know much about Paleo Diet/Caveman? Sounds awesome!

AK
          AF since 1st Sep 2012
          NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yes I have read about the diet and it tries to mimic what we should eat based on how our bodies were designed and that our bodies are not equipped to deal with the onslaught of the modern day diet. I think anything that improves your knowledge of nutrition is very helpful.
            ~~My problem is anxiety and alcohol cools it off and then the next day it is 10x worse. Such a trap. I have been trying to get day one in again and know from experience if I can get a week or two in my body starts to calm down and it becomes easier.
            I have been doing a lot of reading to get my mind right so I can get a few AF days in, no luck so far. There are a couple of links that I think some might find to be worth taking a look at. One is an anti anxiety diet``The Anti Anxiety Diet
            The other is from a guy who was a pro triathlete,Brendan Brazier, and has several vegan based books that I found to be very helpful, especially if you are into exercise.
            Amazon.com: thrive diet: Books ~~Here is the link to his website with some good articles official site of Brendan Brazier
            Well, let me see if I can get 1 AF day in, I will keep trying until it happens. Feels good to come back to this place and express my feelings, thanx

Comment

Newbies Nest

allankay;1388533 wrote: Has anyone on here tried or know much about Paleo Diet/Caveman? Sounds awesome!

AK
              I've been mostly Paleo for three years now. It works for me and I"m leaner because of it, but I do add some carbs for the endurance running, cycling and crew rowing I do. It's also super popular with the CrossFit community but like anything, take what works and leave the rest. And Allan, time for you to post to Roll Call. Ha.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hypernova! Welcome back....dig your heels in and get thru this Day 1! Every single one of us had to go thru it get move forward...we are right by your side! Tomorrow you will be able to post to Fin's tally board!!

Fin, your progress is phenominal! I'm so happy for you! Everyone is doing is GREAT!! Stay the course! Hugs to all, B

As Scarlett O'Hara might say, (or Lav) Sattidy is JUST anotha day (with finger pointing towards the heavens!)
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

:happy:

Cat - you got through Friday night, and I got through tonight! Spent most of it dancing, well moving my body to wonderful Balkan music.... not sure whether it can be ever described as 'dancing' :H

So, come the evening and everyone's getting their pint in, I ask the barman for a soda and lime and screws up his face as if to say, "What, the - ? You no want a pint?" I say, nah, I;ve got the car. He says, "Yeah, but you can always leave the car and get the bus, no?" and I says, yeah, but i don;t want to. He says, "eh...what?". And then, I says, "Look, i gave up booze for the two weeks prior to the marathon, and just now I'm liking it, ok?" And he looks at me and smiles and says "Wow, that's good. No, really, good for you."

Yup. Even the student barman who likes to go out regularly (4 or 5 times a week) and get lashed (and i do mean lashed) on booze is actually impressed when someone he knows says, 'hey, I'm doing ok right now without the need for AL'. Makes me wonder whether more might think this... that more peeps might actually look positively on those who abstain, or who are trying to cut back or quit. Like with cigarettes. Maybe because AL is so prevalent in our cultures and with how it drips and bleeds into so many aspects of out, that it is much harder for us all to to acknowledge that it can be so damaging, that it is a drug that is potentially lethal, because how could something so lethal be EVERYWHERE - every high street, every movie, every advert, every tv programme, every restaurant, every home, every fridge, it's as if every person has some where some booze. It has become ubiquitous. Like it was with cigarettes. And, like it was with cigarettes, it MIGHT be that in decades to come there is a little more understanding, awareness, compassion and support for those who decide to lead AL free lives, more care for the damage it can do to folks, less greed from governments who see it as one huge source of income: Promote booze, so people booze, so Parliament bags a booty of cash... or something like that.

Rant over Sorry - no idea where that we rant came from!

RC

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just checking in from phone so this will be brief - day 6 done and dusted! Felt great all day except for horrid allergies. Change of weather I guess. So very proud of everyone. Proud Of me too. Found 2 cold beers in fridge just a while ago. Guess Dh left them there last night. I had no idea. Very tempting for me but I said No-Hell No AL- and so they shall sit in the fridge waiting for Dh to get home and enjoy after his long hard day of work. I am OK. Thanks to my nest buds!
                    :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Boy today was really hard..imp in full tilt....but we did not stop at the deli, good thing dh was driving so I couldn't veer off the path....day 6 done
                      Bought myself a whiz bang vacuum cleaner today..old one just couldn't keep up with all the fur babies hair...this one is much more quiet and the headlight work.....more than I wanted to spend but this will be the last one I ever buy I would guess...
                      Have a great evening all,
                      Dottie
                      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well done RC! Allan said very early on in his quit..."Sober is the new drunk". I think he's on to something. It is amazing after you are able to step away a while and see it. It IS everywhere and accepted! Nothing like quitting smoking or dieting...no, there's a stigma. So proud of you tonight!
                        Star, showing us how it's done! Allan best be in his prize closet tonight getting all those moons ready! The nest is humming.

ToMyHealth, I was happy to see your post...I was a bit out of it yesterday...I'm so glad you are a colon cancer surviver! Tough stuff, you are a winner!
                        Hugs to all nesters today! Stay strong! XO, B
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

At home tonight making a broccoli casserole and watching TV. Had a friend call me earlier to complain about his massive hangover. Not me! Getting a lot of stuff done, and feeling good.

Who needs alcohol anyway? NO ONE!

Have a safe night in the nest. Byrdie, so glad your ordeal is over and that you're back to watch over us :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

rooniferd - Day 6 (also feeling good!)
                            Catbuddy - Day 5 (feeling tired!)
                            "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all,

What a day, so glad I have you all to share with. I'm thinking the intensity of early sobriety makes me very chatty!

I did the triathalon as the runner on a 3-woman team. Long story short, we won second place among relay teams! Yeah! And we were given prizes to celebrate, a red ribbon, and .............. a bottle of wine.

I accepted with a smile, but with fear. Would this derail me? Then the onslaught continued. The first place team, who happen to also be our friends, popped the champagne to go with a gourmet cheese/bread/meat picnic. I declined their gracious (and repeated) offers. Then my team went to lunch at a beautiful restaurant in Napa Valley, with dozens of wines by the glass. I offered to be the designated driver. At this point, one friend asked, "what's up, why aren't you drinking?" I told her I am working to improve my health, and not drinking is part of that. She accepted without further question. But for me, my heart was racing as they ordered that lovely white wine, exchanged tastes, and so on. Based on Allan's advice, I decided to buck up, be the life of the conversation, laugh and show that my good company does not depend on my AL intake. The social part was a big success. But as we left I thought, when I get home, that bottle of wine is going to break me.

So after I did in fact get home, tired, sore and alone, I took a quick bath, took some supplements and most importantly came here to connect with you guys. I read the post about "that bottle of wine is going to grow heads and start screaming at you" and laughed hysterically, because it is so true. So I ran to the kitchen, uncorked it, and POURED IT DOWN THE DRAIN. And kept laughing.

Enough said. I love you guys.

:h Catbuddy
                              "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Way to go, Catbuddy...way to go. Think about what a loser you'd feel like if you hadn't made the good choices you made today. That's awesome.

Me? I'm having my own moment of glory with just my boy and I at home tonight. My wife and daughter headed to Aspen for a gymnastics meet which would normally give me license to pour on the IPA big time. Not so tonight. We're about to seattle in and watch Wali and I'm 100% AF and present for him. Love it...

Be good everyone. Good night,
                                -Fin

Comment

Working...
                                X