Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

hi guys, yes i will cancel and make up an excuse as she doesnt really think she has an issue but i definitely know i have one, so i will cancel and just have some me time - yes my girls are in bed by 7.30pm each night, they are great, so i will just head up to my room and work away on the computer and keep track of you guys, to be honest i am looking forward to not fighting with myself all the time, i feel like i have been in a really bad relationship (alcohol being the partner) for ages and i am about to break up - i am excited and scared but i know its for the best! i think i was meant to find this website i honestly literally stumbled across it so i think someone was looking out for me to help me start.

Comment

Newbies Nest

so hear i go - fin what are IPA'S

Fin - Day 9 (committed)
      Nurdl - Day 35 (committed)
      Catbuddy - Day 9 (grateful)
      Daisy - Day 35
      Rainyday - Day 1 (not going to explain myself, just going forward)
      AllanKay - Day 40
      Hitting 40 - Day 1 (nervous)

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hitting 40...(the newbie, not Allan, who just hit 40 BIG DAYS)....
        I led a double life, too! A businesswoman, community leader, 'Mary Tyler Moore' Type. So my drinking was almost an escape from myself...I couldn't even live up to me! First things first...Lead yourself NOT into temptaion...if you are going to walk with your friend...tell her beforehand that you are 'reinventing yourself' and not drinking for a time. And to help YOU, it'd help if she didn't bring it up, just like if you were dieting...If you have a really good relationship with her and a wicked sense of humor...when she brings it up, go 'Bup! and point your finger'. She'll say another word and you go "Bup, Bup!!" We said we weren't going to talk about that! Maybe I can get away with that...but you get the idea. We are not Mother Theresa...we will yield and it doens't take much to derail us in the very beginning. GET your story together on what you are going to tell people as to why you aren't drinking. This is part of the PLAN that you will hear us talk about. Having a strong plan includes your excuse, it includes surronding yourself with foods you love, it also includes getting all the AL out of your house (or your access to it). If you are going it alone in the beginning, can you ask Hubs to at least put it somewhere else so you can't see it? If not, it will grow heads and start speaking to you. It's like the oxygen masks on a plane...secure yours first, and then help others...I am hoping that he will follow your example. I've seen that happen many times here and it happened with me, too. Please read back a couple weeks here....we have folks in the very same stage of quitting as you! We are glad you've joined us!!

RC, you almost made me wet my pants!!! I am loving the Big Sober!! You are just killing me!!

Lola: 'Byrdie, let's put MOCHA in the cupcake frosting!'
        Byrdie clutches her heart as if she were Fred Sanford (Sanford and Sons)...MOCHA!!??
        Lola: 'Yes, Bydie, it'll add a little kick...it'll be fun!'
        Byrdie falls into a pile on the cold, hard floor of The Big Sober House.....mumbling...mocha?.....mocha......
        Final image is of a beautiful chocolate cupcake piled high with mocha frosting and Lola smiling wickedly behind it (one eyebrow raised).....Bwahahahah.....YES! MOCHA!!

The Sober days are piling up! I'm so happy for everyone! Catbuddy...WELL DONE!!!

Happy AF Wednesday to everone!!! MindPeace!!! XO, B
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Bryd, you are wise. Your advice is really good.

RC, yep, that story is taking on a life of its own. Nicely done.
          Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
          Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Wednesday, nest-mates.
            Day 10 here and feeling great! So happy to see everyone plugging along. I missed a lot of posts last night. Still struggling with a wicked cough so I just took it easy and went to bed early.
            I do want to say to Cat, that I am so sorry you had a bad day yesterday, but as folks around the nest say ?You never have 2 bad days in a row? ? so I will bet today will be much better for you- I sure hope so! :l
            Also, want to welcome ? Hitting 40? and ditto what Daisy, Lolab, Fin and Byrdie said. And I definitely would cancel, if I were you, too. You are just like the rest of us, so please settle in and enjoy your new home. You can do it!
            R.C.- Oh Wow?..can?t wait for the party- this is gonna be good. Just to let you know, though, I don?t have me singin? voice right now with this bad cough and all- so please don?t put me on the entertainment roster. I do make a pretty mean burger though. My secret ingredient is MOCHA (bahaha- byrdie)

:chef:
            :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin - Day 9 (committed)
              Daisy - Day 35
              AllanKay - Day 40
              Prairie Fairy - Day 51 (Hola all - and TTDAP)
              That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
              Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
              AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin - Day 9 (committed)
                Daisy - Day 35
                AllanKay - Day 40
                Dottie Day 10
                Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin - Day 9 (committed)
                  Daisy - Day 35
                  AllanKay - Day 40
                  Dottie Day 10
                  RunningCourage - Day 24 (tired - forgot to take my vits this morn...!)

Comment

Newbies Nest

How many athletes do we have here? I'm surprised. AL does not discriminate.

RC, here are some marathon events I've done:

Pikes Peak x 2 (11K of vertical - very big hill indeed)
                    Steamboat Springs x 2
                    Imogene Pass x 6
                    Mosquito Pass
                    Vail Ultra 100 (mt bike)
                    Canyon Lands
                    Fire Cracker 50
                    Triple Bipass

I don't think I'll be running anymore, however. Currently swimming, yoga and CrossFit have been a good mix for me. I have a CF workout coming up in about an hour and I'm stoked to be going in so fresh and energetic. The fog has been lifted.

Turn and burn (and be good),
                    -Fin
                    Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                    Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

roll call

Fin - Day 9 (committed)
                      Daisy - Day 35
                      AllanKay - Day 40
                      Dottie Day 10
                      Almost Free - Day 2 (still shaky)
                      AF since 12/2/12
                      http://hamsnetwork.org/taper/

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin;1390180 wrote: Fin - Day 9 (committed)
                        Daisy - Day 35

Cool...Cat and I are aligned as are Nurdl and Daisy. Cat, we need to get to 35!
                        I'm with you, Fin. So much easier to make a journey with company! And I would love (per Big Sober house) to be singing along your music!

Interesting morning I'm having. I dreamt last night that I cancelled attending a conference this morning, as I might have during my drinking days, being too tired to get up at 5:30 and make the two hour drive there. I did in fact get up, leave the house, hit terrible traffic, and went to the wrong location. So, one hour late, I texted my boss to say I was skipping it (he is there, and ALWAYS on time. Of course, it is 20 minutes from his house). So, even sober, I appear to my boss as someone who needs to get their sh*t together.

I stopped at a cafe to eat a healthy breakfast (hunger is a huge trigger for cravings, right?), and get online with my buddies. But the best part, No strong self recrimination. Just how it goes sometimes. And for once, I don't blame myself.

Hoping everyone is having a smoother day
                        "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin;1390180 wrote: Fin - Day 9 (committed)
                          Daisy - Day 35

Cool...Cat and I are aligned as are Nurdl and Daisy. Cat, we need to get to 35!
                          Absolutely, Fin. I'm with you, drafting in Nurdl and Daisy's wake.

And per the Big Sober House, would love to be singing with you, too.

Catbuddy
                          "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin;1390275 wrote: How many athletes do we have here? I'm surprised. AL does not discriminate.

RC, here are some marathon events I've done:

Pikes Peak x 2 (11K of vertical - very big hill indeed)
                            Steamboat Springs x 2
                            Imogene Pass x 6
                            Mosquito Pass
                            Vail Ultra 100 (mt bike)
                            Canyon Lands
                            Fire Cracker 50
                            Triple Bipass

I don't think I'll be running anymore, however. Currently swimming, yoga and CrossFit have been a good mix for me. I have a CF workout coming up in about an hour and I'm stoked to be going in so fresh and energetic. The fog has been lifted.

Turn and burn (and be good),
                            -Fin
                            Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fin - you've done LOADS of marathons! I've just completed my first - Loch Ness. My plan is to do 2, maybe 3 before next summer - i have my eye on Barcelona as the next one. Plus Hadrians Wall which is a 63miler....

Hoping to join a Tri-club very soon though, so more swimming and cycling.

CrossFit is recommended for runners - any advice with this? Hope you good CF session bud.

RC

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin - Day 9 (committed)
                              Daisy - Day 35
                              AllanKay - Day 40
                              Dottie Day 10
                              Almost Free - Day 2 (still shaky)
                              Star- Day 10 ()

I posted this earlier, but somehow got dropped We'll get it right one day
                              :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all; sitting at home. 2 hours ago went shopping. While walking up the aisle my ex-husband phones my daughter - he asked her if she had spoken to her brother recently. She said no and mum hasn't spoke to him since last week. He then informs her that my son is at home in Ireland with him.
                                My son has lived with his dad for 4 years, since he was 17. Ex remarried last year which brought up a lot of issues with him and his dad and the new wife into the equation. Long story short, about 7 wks ago they had a massive row and dad threw son out. He came here and of course was welcomed and stayed a couple of weeks. Then got a job in Scotland and was doing well. I was glad because I would rather he made it on his own; since living with him, I have found him taking on so many of my ex's traits which I can assure you, you would not want your child to have. My son came home only 2 weekends ago for his dads birthday and that is the first they seen one another from the day he left. Then back over the water to his job. Last week my son needed help with phone calls and paperwork and I spent hours that day sorting things out. He seemed happy at his work.
                                He has been back in Ireland since last Thursday and not one thought to inform me - I am just so hurt. My ex said he thought I knew - bullshit! Rang my son - asked him why he hadn't told me and he went into one, cursing at me. Still no answers - I had to put the phone down. It is ok to contact me when the shit hits the fan but no respect. His dad is such a bad influence, judging people with no good reason, looking down his nose. I left him many years ago mainly through emotional abuse and now feel I have lost a big part of my son to the same.....
                                I left him to get away from it all and feel like since my divorce, I have had my ex hanging over me; my life has never been my own, with him continuously interfering and me feeling like he still has power over me.
                                I am angry, hurt. I never tell anyone about it because I have a loyalty to my son and I don't want my family of friends criticising him. He is a good boy but he reminds me such much of his dad. So it must be ok to live with his dad again - no idea. But I do know when it all goes wrong that it is me that both him and his dad come running to to sort things out - so, so sick of it all. I really have enough going on....
                                Feel like I have spent years just keeping my head above the water. Just feel like right now my whole emotional world is crashing in on me......I wish sometimes that someone would tell me its all gonna be ok....
                                So sorry, you probably know I don't post stuff about myself normally but I just don't care any more.
                                IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                                Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Working...
                                X