Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi, Iama:

Thanks for the heads up on Day 2! I guess I am being too optimistic, thinking if I could do day 1, Day2 would be easier, etc.

Today, I'm happy to at least embark on this journey. But I could see Day 2 getting kind of old and boring, and Day 30 even more so. Hmmm... I don't know if I'll be able to keep this up but it feels good right now..... My brain is on a natural high of "no alcohol high." I hope I don't crash!

Alcoholic
    Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
    A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Alcoholic;1392936 wrote: Hi, Ima! Kuya!and Almost Free!

How are you all doing today?

I'm on my day 1 and so far, doing well. 6 hours of no drinking.

Ok. if I want to calm down, and really want a drink, what is the one thing you could take or drink or do that is not addictive but can make you feel great like a drink can?

Alcoholic
      I am going to pull you on this for a moment. Right now, for an alcohol dependant , ONLY alcohol feels like alcohol.
      Get your mind round this....... This is VERY important. Alcohol DOES NOT feel great, it just takes away the CRAVING for alcohol. Ethanol, a liquid suitable for running engines,not bodies, has been running your body. Many chemicals and enzymes in your body have changed to accommodate this abnormal fuel

After time your body adapts to running on the wrong fuel. You have literally succeeded in turning your body into a food/alcohol hybrid! When you stop putting alcohol in the tank, your body is confused, stutters and doesn't run well for a while. This is what we call withdrawal. The 'pleasure' of alcohol is because it attaches to GABA receptors.

At the moment NOTHING replaces alcohol. Glucose mimics it, sugar helps short term but accept that, for a while, your amazing body is having to convert back to running only on food ....... Like a normal mammal.

Try to patiently accept that all those bad feelings are actually good feelings. They are your body learning to use only the correct fuel. When you have a terrible day, the next day is always better cos you have made a biochemical leap in repair.

Eat good food,and plenty of it and try to rest. Allow your body to heal.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Alcoholic: At least you have taken the first step in realizing you have a problem. Try hard and spend as much time as you can reading other posts. It's humbling to know that you are not alone in this struggle!
        One day at a time, no matter how many times I fail, I will get this monkey off of my back!!! :confusedmonkey:

Comment

Newbies Nest

It's three pm, do you know where your voices are? I do, there right here in my head right now. Off to take some L-glut, eat a cookie and some pop corn, drink a soda and watch Ellen.
          ALL I HAVE TO DO IS GET THOUGH THIS DAY AF

Comment

Newbies Nest

Star - that is an awesome find. One of the best, most absorbing, most eloquent, most uplifting, most inspiring posts i have read here.

Most bodacious indeed. :thanks: no, BIG :thanks:

I'm glad there is no max on how many times we use a word, as there is for emoticons. I'd be out of mosts...

RC

Comment

Newbies Nest

Second that, Star. Thanks for that one. It spoke to me too.
              Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
              Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

PF - I'm SOOO jealous of your SMOKIN' HOT guy story....I was just as the grocery store and the only interesting thing that happened was I had a dollar off coupon for dog food. What am I doing wrong? Please advise.

Boy howdy, the Nest has been busy! I haven't even caught up yet. Hope you're all doing ok...welcome to Alcoholic and other newbies that I'm probably forgetting to mention. Stick close to us, you'll realize you are NOT alone in this battle.

Lav - Give Stella a big kiss for me. She doesn't need a costume, she's adorable AS IS!

Byrdie - Thanks for being the voice of wisom (as usual). Whenever I get the stinkin' thinkin' thoughts I picture you with a baseball bat in your hand saying "No madda what, no madda who!" :h

Hi RC, Kuya, Ima, Odat, Starfish, Fin and everyone else! Happy MONDAY

K9
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Glad you enjoyed it RC. I thought it was "stellar" myself!
                  :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone,
                    Im off to get me some l-glutamine powder. Maybe that will help. I think I will drink some of my organic 'green' drink, too. Tastes terrible, but I always feel better after I drink it. I've tried to cultivate a habit of green tea with lemon, just for the many benefits it gives your body. It helps in detoxing, etc. If I really need a treat, I'll make a mug of hot chocolate.

I actually had two years sober, a couple of years ago. I started, right away on a no white stuff: (white bread, white flour, white sugar, white rice, potatoes, pasta, etc. No fruit either) diet. I got this from Seven weeks to Sobriety. A big dark, leafy green salad everday is great for you, too. All of this stabilizes the blood sugar nourishes your body and helps with cravings. I also dropped 30 lbs in two months, which really lifted my spirits. Took a lot of vitamins and supplements, too. I sure hope to get back that kind of sobriety again. So tired of the constant failure.

So, Odat, Iama, paulywogg, alcoholic,(and me), are all five of us on day 1 today? This last weekend seemed to be an especially difficult one for everybody, not just us. Well, good luck to us all and lets all stay close for support. Have a great day everybody!
                    AF since 12/2/12
                    http://hamsnetwork.org/taper/

Comment

Newbies Nest

almost free;1393012 wrote: So, Odat, Iama, paulywogg, alcoholic,(and me), are all five of us on day 1 today? This last weekend seemed to be an especially difficult one for everybody, not just us. Well, good luck to us all and lets all stay close for support. Have a great day everybody!
                      Sounds about right unless there's anyone we're missing. It was a rough weekend but we're all back here and ready to fight again! Day 1 is almost to a close and I've made it without a craving. Tomorrow will not be so easy. I spent basically all day on here today and plan to do so again tomorrow. You guys are all fantastic!:happy:
                      One day at a time, no matter how many times I fail, I will get this monkey off of my back!!! :confusedmonkey:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Prairie - I gotta go shoppin' in your store girl! mmm-mmm
                        :notes:
                        we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Newbies Nest

:jumpin:Great post Starfish. Thank you. I'm doing ok tonight. A few whispers in my head but no real possibility of being able to go anywhere, so that helps. No point listening to the voices if I can't do anything about it!

When work was over I changed into my walking clothes before I had a chance to think about it. I went home, hooked up one of my fur babies on a leash, had a friend meet us and went for a nice long walk. Beautiful day, good company, felt great!

Came home and started in on my house. I am amazed that I am able to keep up with my house as well as I do while drinking. It's not good, but I'm not drowning in disorder yet. I was folding clothes in front of the tv and realized that my favorite shows were coming on in a little while. When I'm drinking I get so excited about my favorite shows or a good movie with my wine! Funny thing is, after the first glass, my mind is off and running in total chaos! I play the tv shows or movie, but I can't focus cause I'm on FB awhile, I'm texting awhile, I'm flipping chanels...flip, flip, flip. I may open my book and try to read, but you all know how that goes!

Tonight, I'm going to watch my favorite shows from beginning to end and I may even read a little when they are over! Being sober is great. It's like having control of my mind a little!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dogwood! That's the stuff! I'm so happy to hear about your night of kicking AL's toukus.
                            Stay strong everyone! Don't let the Beast back in! Shut the door and lock it tight!
                            B!
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters,

Starfish1, thank you for posting the 7 Monkies article...boy, I needed that! For today, I am back to day 1, which has proven to be successful. Onwards to tomorrow and my sober life. I need to stick with it this time or else face a life of AL doom, which as we all know is hell on earth. Completely awful. No more.

Hi to everyone who is on tonight and also who may remember me over the last few years. I hope you are all well. Good to see some familiar names (hi Lolab and PF!) and some new folks I look forward to getting to know. Best wishes to everyone here!
                              Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
                              :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just wanted to fly by to say I have not succumbed to the AL. Thanks for the support, especially Byrdie, Lav and Prairie (Love ya too!). I am still waiting for answers, but it is so nice to have a clear head, especially this morning, when I had to make a bunch of phone calls to set up appointments, etc.

To the new newbies, it really is worth it to be AF. And very few if any of us make it on the first try. I came here for the first time on Oct. 24 2011. I was searching for a way to stop drinking, as I did not believe I could do it on my own. I did not think stopping was even possible, outside of extreme measures. I did not know HOW to stop. That, my first quit lasted over 30 days, and then there was the usual Holiday games I played with myself...in early January I was heading back, full swing, down that rabbit hole.

After all this time, I still can't think about being AF forever. Some people can, some can't. I just know that I'd much rather NOT drink today. We went out to dinner last night with another family, and it is so easy now to order my fave drink, 1/2 and 1/2 cranberry juice and club soda...with TWO lime twists. I really need to come up with a catchy name for that drink. And nobody batted an eyelash about it.

Much love, thanks and courage to all of you.
                                BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Working...
                                X