Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Iama - hey, how you doing today? So, Dick Head reared his ugly puss and persuaded you to have a drink. Yeah well, he's a crafty fellow. We here all know that. We all have our own Richard Head. But today is a new day.

Sit up. Take your time. Breath.

Now, first - Forgive yourself. Please. Don't whatever you do beat yourself up - that's Richard Head's calling card to let himself back in.

Gently think. What all do you need to do today? List them. What all can you do today, or would want to do today, now that you will have the time due to being AF today? List them also.

Eat something. Even if you don't feel like it, just a morsel of toast is better than nothing.

Wash. Freshen up.

Start the list.

And periodically, throughout the day, check in here. We are all here to help you. PM someone if you want to talk through stuff in more privacy.

Finally - here's a :l for ya Iamaquitter. You are your namesake

RC

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi guys. Just checking in, since I got my internet back on Sunday. Man, the past week has been a rollercoaster, with moving and working like a dog and stressing over money and finding out my new (not-cheap) apartment has cockroaches and my new Ikea bed arriving broken and clashing over future plans with the SO. My student loans are coming home to roost one-by-one, and my monthly payment come January is going to be over $800/month...seeing as how I only make about $2000/month at my entry-level career job, things are going to be squeaky tight. At least I am not spending any money on AL!

20 days...and the friskiest things I've been drinking are my no-calorie Blue Sky sodas and my daily detox smoothie. Speaking of which, if y'all ever decided to incorporate smoothies into your routines, and decide to use psyllium powder as one of the ingredients, do not—I repeat—do NOT put the psyllium powder into the blender with the rest of the items. I tried adding it for the first time today, and that was the most ridiculous blender mess I've ever had to clean up! Tomorrow, I'm going to try just stirring it into the already-blended mixture.

This thread has moved way too fast for me to even hope of catching up, and I'm probably going to be super busy for the next few days as well...I just wanted to pop in so no one worried about me!

I got really depressed for a few days there, but didn't cave and it passed. I was having really, really dark thoughts, wondering if my life was ever going to not feel like I was fighting my way upstream with a bag of rocks on my back. I almost broke down and cried, and except for at movies, I'm not a crier...but the dark mood has passed, and I am refusing to focus on the negative. I'm almost taking some of this as penance, like, OK, bad stuff is happening, but I have done so much awful crap while drunk, that I'm getting off easy if these rough patches are all I have to endure. It could be so much worse.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Limonada you got some real positive attitude there! You are so right - there's much more crap being done by ourselves when we're drunk. But if you are down, feeling black, then do come in here if you can. It's warm and cosy and folks love you for who you are.

Good to hear from you!

RC

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

The sun is up, time to get a brand new day going

Limon, sorry about your moving & new apartment problems. How great that you are handling it all AF

Greetings RC & everyone!

How are you this morning Iamaquitter?

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF hump day!
          Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi guys

I haven't posted on here for a while - been hanging with the barmy army !!!

I just wanted to say how much I admire and respect you all - from the oldies (no offence ) to the newbies (like me, still) and appreciate all the words of wisdom and advice that you share with us all.

I've only read abck a couple of pages and it's like me blinkers have been peeled back (again) !!!

I'm doing ok - sort of - lots of day 3's and then a relapse, but I know my defence mechanisms are a hell of a lot stronger than they used to be - all through the time I've spent here, lurking, reading, listening to, and laughing with you guys.

You are all truly, truly AWESOME !!!!!!! Thankyou once again,

Questy xxxx
            Trying again from 22nd September 2014 Keeping it simple. Keeping it real.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning all! Well, I feel like crap today but I'm ready to start this thing over again. day 1, here we go! Maybe I can make it past day 2 this time. I'm so mad at myself but I'll get over it. Lolab, you were so right about the sleep. I drank last night and slept worse than I did sober the night before. Have my daughter home sick today so I know today will be an easy one as I don't ever drink when she is sick. Thanks for being so supportive last night everyone. Have a great AF day all!
              One day at a time, no matter how many times I fail, I will get this monkey off of my back!!! :confusedmonkey:

Comment

Newbies Nest

good morning questy - nice to hear from you...

hey Lav - I see you survived the Stella war. Wait, does that mean.......? shudder
                ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Great job Fin - Limonada - everybody's cruising along!

iama - I'm glad you're still here - take some time today to reflect on what made you go down that path - and how you can avoid it in the future....:-)

Lots to accomplish today - so I'm gonna run!

RC - I did absolutely LOVE the Richard Head episode. You are so witty, yet so insightful. I do think I've met him in each of those forms. :-)
                  ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ima:

I drank last night w my friend but just 2 glasses of wine instead of a whole bottle.... I am taking supplements. Have you thought about taking kudzu and topamax and the other stuff the others suggested? They seem to help me... Even if it's placebo it's still helping me! . I'm embarking on day 1 again today...

Come on, lets redo this together. I bought kudzu at vitamin shoppe. I think it did reduce my drinking. Consider it, ok?

Good luck and don't give up!!!!
                    Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                    A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Alcoholic! I'm sorry that you slipped last night as well! Well here we go again, we'll start the journey again today TOGETHER.
                      I did try Kudzu but I felt like it was making my cravings worse. weird I know but I had to stop taking it. I bought L-glut yesterday so I am going to try that today I just need to find out what the dosage and how often I should be taking it. I'll let you know if it works. As far as Topamax and all the other meds, I'm afraid to take them. I'll pour vodka down my throat like it's going out of style but won't take prescription meds, LOL. I'm afraid of side effects. Go figure!
                      Good luck to you as well. Let's do this!
                      One day at a time, no matter how many times I fail, I will get this monkey off of my back!!! :confusedmonkey:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well, I'm starting Day 5. I do hear some whispering in my head but it's not loud or overpowering yet! I have been hitting the working out and running. My plott hound is loving me again cause I'm making time to walk her! I heard someone say they didn't know how they found time to drink. I feel like that today. If I do what I need to do, I don't have time either and I'd love to have that money stay in my account.

Iama....so sorry you had such a rough day. I'm hoping you will take care of yourself today and your daughter.

Better get busy. Here's wishing everyone a great AF day!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I know there is LOTS more info here somewhere but for a start, here is the link to prairie fairy's thread on supps. It talks about L glut.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...ere-53531.html
                          ~

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mornin' Folks,

I can't begin to express how [expletive] good I feel on Day 16. RC, to answer your question, last night was pretty effortless. There were beers all over the place and I'd be a fool to tell you I wasn't tempted, but only very briefly.

All I had to do last night was think back to the night before quitting 100% where I only had two, albeit strong IPAs (7.5% AL). Those two beers made me feel like shit about ten minutes after I pounded them. I was all tired and irritable and I DID NOT WANT THAT. Normally I'd just pound 4 more and then I'd forget about it. Ha!

Anyway, you're right. Had my drinking self been there I would have stayed much later drinking any additional ability to play away for no good reason. Instead, we hit the back of the venue and had one of the most amazing spontaneous jams out in the alley. We had this guy ripping on claw hammer banjo, our guitar and fiddle player and myself. After about 20 mins, we were all totally stoked and agreed that we had to get together again as there was "chemistry".

I can guarantee you that opportunity would have never happened all fucked up on AL. Excuse my language, but we're all adults here and I'm just pissed that I've wasted so much time and energy with my head in a bottle. Anyway, last night was perfect. Stayed just long enough, but not too long as to wear it out and eventually black it out.

Yeah and again, there were moments of wanting an IPA pull, but they were few and fleeting -- thank god.

Have a successful day, everyone.

Be good,
                            -Fin
                            Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                            Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

hey fin, that was an amazing post - very inspiring!

And I know what you mean - about getting angry about time wasted - but I honestly believe that we wouldn't find the wonder and awe in today if we hadn't seen the gloom and despair of yesterday.
                              ~

Comment

Newbies Nest

lolab;1394244 wrote: hey fin, that was an amazing post - very inspiring!

And I know what you mean - about getting angry about time wasted - but I honestly believe that we wouldn't find the wonder and awe in today if we hadn't seen the gloom and despair in yesterday.
                                Amen, Lolab.
                                Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                                Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Working...
                                X