Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Dogwood Blossom;1395619 wrote:
    Somewhere along the way I have to make it me standing on my own against the alcohol, but right now, I'm not ready. I feel like I'm hiding and resting.

Thanks to everyone in the Nest! I may never meet any of you, but my heart goes out to each person in the nest, new or "older" and I love you all!

ONE WEEK DOWN, THE REST OF MY LIFE TO GO!
    Hi Dogwood,

I just wanted to respond, I think the nest is here for us to rest. Put down our burdens, cry for a while, and not expect to fix our lives on our own. I do not believe I would have made it these past few weeks without this place; really, my salvation when I was out of days to not be saved So I hear you, I echo you, and I love you all too. (ESPECIALLY that amazingly cute avatar you have chosen. Whenever I see it, I smile.)

Catbuddy
    "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Guys... Gotta go try out a human touch 6.0 message chair. I tried it at my local Costco, felt so good. Had to buy it. But even if u don't buy it, go back and get a few free messages by trying it out. I've been sitting in my chair now for 1 hr!!! Totally awesome!!! New way to pass time and away from drinking.
      Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
      A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Newbies Nest

TIMPIN,

Bravo! Fantastic! Inspirational. As K9 says, this site saves lives. Your life sounds worth living!

Catbuddy
        "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey first Dottie you are doing GREAT! Just quietly cruising along and you have 20 days?!? Wow!

Second (on phone) sorry... But here is something I posted 3-7-2011. I poured some vodka in a glass yesterday... nobody was around and there is an open bottle in the freezer. I just couldn't help myself. As I was getting ready to water it down, I smelled it and said "I don't even 'want' this..." and I dumped it down the drain. sooooo big temptation #1 - I passed....we'll see how I do with the next one. One day at a time.

I was pretty pleased with myself.

This is what Lav posted back to me.
          lolab, congrats on your decision to dump the vodka!
          Why do you have vodka in the freezer may I ask? Is it for a spouse or someone?
          I'm all for a refrig in the garage or some place where that stuff can be kept out of sight & out of mind

It pissed me off. (Sorry lav! LOL!!). But I just wanted to say that I was about 2weeks into my first quit on MWO and looking back -which I've done many times since-I can see exactly how overly sensitive I was. I'm so thankful that I didn't over react -I just told her it was my husbands- which it was.

The point is she had every right to ask that question... And while everyone else was saying 'way to go! Great job!' She asked the 'tough' question...

So yeah sometimes we can sound like we're preaching... But it's only out of passion and caring so much...AND sometimes the most obvious questions seem ridiculous and mean to us when we're early into sobriety mainly because of that hypersensitivity. It really is a good idea to sleep on something sometimes before we reply...especially in those first few weeks...the true intent might be more clear in the morning...alc-I'm extremely impressed by your ability to see this.. I know I didn't! I'm just glad I didn't tell lav off like I wanted to ! :-)
          ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Alcoholic;1395844 wrote: Guys... Gotta go try out a human touch 6.0 message chair. I tried it at my local Costco, felt so good. Had to buy it. But even if u don't buy it, go back and get a few free messages by trying it out. I've been sitting in my chair now for 1 hr!!! Totally awesome!!! New way to pass time and away from drinking.
            I try and get a massage every two weeks. If I had that chair I fear I would be found as a shrivel led balloon two weeks from now! :H:H

Comment

Newbies Nest

It's even more ridiculous looking back today! The only reason that pissed me off was because it was striking a chord! Having that vodka in the freezer was something thaT DID have to change before I got totally serious.

Ok this phone stuff stinks! G'nifht LOL. G'night all!
              ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lol kuya... Might have to look into that chair!
                ~

Comment

Newbies Nest

Some quick notes, all echoes of prior posts, but such is the fate of the west coast nesters.

Allan, congratulations, and enjoy that AF rush of a new job and be affirmed!

K9, Happy Birthday. And by the way, you save lives, not just MWO.

Fin, you are totally awesome. Your gift to K9 was such a class act.

RC, your investment in care and laughter for the people here is wonderful.

Byrdie, Lolab, Kuya, your wisdome is awesome. Thank you for the time you spend to help us.

18 days AF now. In these past 2 1/2 weeks, my unexpected challenges have been exhaustion, short temper, emotional sensitivity, loss of interest, brain fog.... it's been almost as bad as when I drank. Damn. It's a good thing I walked into this process so naive. And a better thing that I found you. So here's looking forward to a great weekend, leaving these withdrawl dynamics behind us day by day.

Catbuddy

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey cat
                    Some quick notes, all echoes of prior posts, but such is the fate of the west coast nesters.

Also the fate if east coast nesters still battling a head cold! Lol

18 days AF now. In these past 2 1/2 weeks, my unexpected challenges have been exhaustion, short temper, emotional sensitivity, loss of interest, brain fog.... it's been almost as bad as when I drank. Damn. It's a good thing I walked into this process so naive. And a better thing that I found you. So here's looking forward to a great weekend, leaving these withdrawl dynamics behind us day by day.

LOVE THIS!!! Oh boy though... You just KNOW it gets better...LOTS better...:-)
                    ~

Comment

Newbies Nest

lolab;1395858 wrote: Hey cat

LOVE THIS!!! Oh boy though... You just KNOW it gets better...LOTS better...:-)
                      Oh, Lola. I sure hope so. I'm having a really tough time. I forgot to mention crying. I am hanging on, no question, but out of fight.

Head colds are really miserable; you are getting better, right? With my mom hat for a second, a good old fashion humidifier really helps me at these times. Hope it breaks this weekend. :l

Cat

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Catbuddy;1395854 wrote:

18 days AF now. In these past 2 1/2 weeks, my unexpected challenges have been exhaustion, short temper, emotional sensitivity, loss of interest, brain fog.... it's been almost as bad as when I drank. Damn. It's a good think I walked into this process so naive. And a better thing that I found you. So here's looking forward to a great weekend, leaving these withdrawl dynamics behind us day by day.

Catbuddy
                        First of all, congrats on your 18 days, this is awesome.

May I add to your observation on the process and ask you to look at it the other way round.

If you had known where it led, would you ever have started drinking?

But you are over the worst physically. There are ways to manage the brain fog, good food, plenty of sleep when you can and light exercise ( BTW I am AWFUL at the last one!)

Also write things down cos your memory will be bad for a little while.

Whenever I feel pissed off at the crappy symptoms of recovery I remind myself how long I drank. If you reckon on about 10% of that time to recover it kinda feels fair doesn't it?

Talking of fair, I have been reading how an AF life feels too much and unfair.

Another take on this may help to readjust the feeling of unfairness ....... Work out how many units of alcohol you drank per week then for women divide by 7 and for men divide by 14. Take that number and multiply it by the number of years you drank. This will give you the number of safe 'normal' years you have ALREADY had.

I drank approximately 12 times the safe limit for 23 years, therefore I have had 276 YEARS of 'NORMAL' safe drinking!

After the calculations are you still feeling like it is unfair? Or maybe you have had your fair share! :H:H:H

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Kuya,

Thanks for the response. I should reword my thought. I'm GLAD I walked into this process so naive, because I did start it and otherwise would not have. If I had known about the withdrawl symptoms, I would have probably delayed to a less intense time at work. I'm in the middle of closing a venture debt round, raising equity capital, and merging our company with an acquisition target. So bad timing to be going through this. GOOD commitment long-term; crushing dynamics short-term.

I'm not feeling it is unfair at all, no worries ( on that front. I really get that my chemistry is wired to fail at moderation. I'm okay with that. I remind myself that I'm also not living on the streets of India in dire poverty. As rolls of the dice go, I got a great hand.

I'll share a *reveal* a few members here know. This is the first time I have quit AL. That's why I'm naive about withdrawl; I have never done this before. I am also committed to it being my only.

Cat

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cat, that post was not at you, or just for you. Although if it helps fine.

This is only my second quit and like you the timing is ghastly, am facing the possibility of bankruptcy and homelessness, neither caused by alcohol but dealing with it will not be helped by it either.

There is NEVER a good time to quit, I know, I spent 23 years waiting for one! LOL

There are so many new people at the moment it is hard to keep to one topic, cos then you have an idea and forget it.

Being in New Zealand means I am often posting when most are asleep in the northern hemisphere so I post my thoughts and hope they may help.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kuya, I am so sorry to hear you are facing such frightening risks. I will keep you in my prayers.

Cat

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

hi everyone! day 1 for me - back to the drawing board so to speak. did nearly three months and have sneaked right back into old habits too easily. was in denial that i had a problem - complacent that three months was sooo easy. but here i am. trying to resist the urge to berate myself too much am trying to be positive and see the slip up as part of my journey to being tea total!

1st goal: 100 days
                                2nd goal: 1 year
                                ultimate goal: forever

Comment

Working...
                                X