Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

DB...because we run from unpleasant things instead of dealing with them. It's easier to hurt ourselves than to rock the boat....just numb up. If I ever write a book, I have the title....'Numb and Numb-er'. Just make it go away! It takes a while to learn how to sort thru these things...you are doing great!! Just gotta get thru this day! I will be thinking of you...B
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dottie: what do you do for a living and what is your supervisor doing to you?
      Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
      A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi PJ and welcome! Pull up a nice comfy branch and stay a while...you'll like it here!

DB - Everything used to trigger me...a day off, or a Monday...didn't matter. As recently as last week, my boss took Friday off, and I actually had the thought on Thursday night that I'd like to drink since Friday would be an "easy day" with her gone. Mind you I am 300+ days into this journey and I still have that crappy thought?!! The good news is that it only lasted about 10 seconds and then poof...gone. Thoughts will come and go, it's what we choose to do with them that matters. Sweep those urges away...each time it will get easier, I promise!
        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dottie Belle;1398176 wrote: Why does going back to work tomorrow create such a trigger and urges start forming.....frustrating...
          Dottie
          Dottie, really glad you posted this, cos it happened to me with smoking! I quit for 9 days and had no problem then BAM! as I got dressed to go back to work for the first time the cravings were HORRENDOUS!!!!

It is the triggers, the return of habit, the Dick Head brain saying 'aww work, now everything can get back to normal, she will stop this silly abstainance thing and give me what I want'.

Today is your big test, say NO today and the greatest statement will be made to your alcoholic brain. Tomorrow it will really KNOW you mean it!

Stick it out Dottie!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1398180 wrote: DB...because we run from unpleasant things instead of dealing with them. It's easier to hurt ourselves than to rock the boat....just numb up. If I ever write a book, I have the title....'Numb and Numb-er'. Just make it go away! It takes a while to learn how to sort thru these things...you are doing great!! Just gotta get thru this day! I will be thinking of you...B
            I agree - and Mr Richard Head always makes the excuse, that "tomorrow is another day, sort it out tomorrow...and tomorrow...and tomorrow..."

For me, DB, AL was the long-term bad habit of just dealing with the day. Any tiny wee iota of a negativity was an excuse to consume. Byrdie, thanks for writing this reply - short and sweet, but it hit home a wee bit... I don't know if i'm running form anything in particular right now, or whether i should be rocking any boat, but I have been having wee waves of feeling a bit "heavy" (if that makes sense) ... which in turn is an excuse for Mr Head to reach for the megaphone and shout a bit louder..."boooOOOOZZZEEE"

And i shout "Bleh".

And he shout BOOOOOOOZZZZEEE"

And I shout "Bleh".

And he shout BOOOOOOOOOOZZZZE"

And I shout "Richard you sound affa like a ghostie."

And he shout "Boo!?"

RC

Comment

Newbies Nest

Man, that Dick Head must have gotten the shaft from all of you, because now he's here bugging me!

My friend texted a while ago to see if I wanted to have a drink after work. God, I really wanted to. It's been "one of those days" at work, and dammit, I deserve a chance to relax with my friend over a cocktail and shoot the shit. The weather is perfect here today, so we could sit outside on the deck at the Tap Room. Ahhhhhh......

I couldn't have drank, even if I had wanted to. I have Antabuse in my system from last night's dose (I take it at night because it makes me sleepy). But dammit, if I had not taken the pill, I am pretty darn sure that I would have given in.....

I know exactly what's happening. The Beast is putting those thoughts of deprivation in my head. But that is false information! I'm not being deprived of anything by not drinking! Wait, yes I am. I'm being deprived of guilt, shame, remorse, extra calories, wasted money, the strong possibility of getting a DUI, and an awful hangover tomorrow. I can live WITHOUT those things!

Now, I'm going to spend the rest of the evening thinking about all the reasons I can be thankful that I didn't drink today. Too many to list here!

Have a good night, everyone.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 37 in the Big Sober House

Day 37. 11pm. The housemates are welcoming their new houseguests, Ginger and PJ, with Pug, Chi, and Charlie all doing their doggie assessments of them (sniffing of legs, general tasting and chewing of cuffs, and assessing ability to navigate in between their legs swiftly). Meanwhile in the Coop, Stella's skyping her chook buddies downunder to see if they can, in anyway whatsoever, send over surreptitiously, and unbeknown to the house's human inhabitants, some cheap booze for the cooperttes.

Outside, Mr Richard Head and his partner in crime, a small, scruffy unkempt cretin by the name of Trigger, are assessing their chances of getting into the house

TRIGGER: We could use the door.

MR HEAD: The door? The DOOR? The BLEEDIN, FECKIN DOOR? Wot are you? Stoopid? The door... Pah! For chrissake.

TRIGGER: Well we need a way in.

MR HEAD: Yeah, but use yer 'ead Trig'. Use yer 'ead.

TRIGGER: Am trying Mr 'Ead, I'm trying. Just, like, 'I don't 'ave much of an' ead. Know wot a mean?

MR HEAD: Wot's your name, son?

TRIGGER: Trigger.

MR HEAD: Exactly. Now wot do we need to find to let 'em pafetic banch've dry-outs let us in?

TRIGGER: Chocolate?

MR HEAD: Chocolate?!

TRIGGER: Well, yeah. Oi mean, fink abat it - everyone likes chocolate don'they? If we git sam chocolate, then 'at's it. They let us in.

MR HEAD: Chocolate aint a trigger, Trig.

TRIGGER: Oh... Really?

MR HEAD: Yes. Your name, Trigger, is Trigger...

TRIGGER: Yes sir.

MR HEAD: So we will need to....?

TRIGGER: Need to...?

MR HEAD: Need to... Tr - ?

TRIGGER: Try a new plan?

MR HEAD: Need to... Trig -

TRIGGER: Ehh...Trigonometry!? Learn it!

MR HEAD: No...need to trigger -

TRIGGER: A revolution!

MR HEAD: FINK! FINK ABAAT IT! Chroist! Look, wot oi suggest is that we shout obscenities frew the letta box, right? Make 'em feel oppressed. Oi will also lower this little microscopic speaker down the chimney, there, right? And this speaker will let out subliminal messages... that will make them desire a drink. Then, you, moi dear fwend, will be waitin' in that there van there ready to sell all the booze they can get their grabby little mitts on.

TRIGGER: Then wot?

MR HEAD: Woddaya mean, "then wot?!" Then they will've started drinking again and out job will be done.

TRIGGER: Ohhh... And then we can have a pint?

MR HEAD: No. No pints.

TRIGGER: Why not?

MR HEAD: Cos i said so, that's why. Alright?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rooni...I have one word for you.....EUPHORIC RECALL.

Ok, I know it's 2 words...but ain't it fittin? All we remember is the 'Relaxing', 'Romantic', 'Refreshing' ( 3 R's of drinking) aspects. This is Addiction Head at his best! It hasn't been relaxing for me in YEARS. NOTHING about drinking was relaxing!!! It was a stressful exercise in every way! Don't fall for it...it's a trick! A trick by Dick. We know better!

RC, you are absolutely killing us all with your dialog!!! I can just hear you saying...'Bleh'. What a word...it says it ALL!

Hang on nesters...Don't give in no matter what or no matter who!!! Byrdie
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

RC...Dick Head and Trigger!!! Priceless! And those cheesy accents!!!!!!!!!!!:H:H:H:H:H
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rooni: Go you for sticking with it and remembering all of the negatives of drinking!! There really is nothing relaxing about drinking. Have a cup of tea and watch your favorite TV show. Now that's relaxation!!!

RC: That was a really good one. I highly enjoyed that skit!!
                      One day at a time, no matter how many times I fail, I will get this monkey off of my back!!! :confusedmonkey:

Comment

Newbies Nest

The accents floored me...Chroist!!!
                        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am in IT and I work for a woman who has not liked me since I was "assigned" to her...if I were a fellow she would have like me a whole lot better...I went to HR and they were NO help at all...she is making my life a living he@@ so I will quit...life is too short for this so I will oblige her sometime next year....she has been there since dirt so I have no hope of getting any help from anyone...
                          This is the short version...
                          Dottie.
                          Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9Lover;1398187 wrote: Hi PJ and welcome! Pull up a nice comfy branch and stay a while...you'll like it here!

DB - Everything used to trigger me...a day off, or a Monday...didn't matter. As recently as last week, my boss took Friday off, and I actually had the thought on Thursday night that I'd like to drink since Friday would be an "easy day" with her gone. Mind you I am 300+ days into this journey and I still have that crappy thought?!! The good news is that it only lasted about 10 seconds and then poof...gone. Thoughts will come and go, it's what we choose to do with them that matters. Sweep those urges away...each time it will get easier, I promise!
                            Hi K9!!
                            You' re Girl - Legend for me!! Complimenti!!

Just read your post. Yes, this Demon is chasing us for the rest of our lives..300+ days and still..But you' re great!!
                            The time for action is now. It's never too late to do something.
                            /Antoine de Saint-Exupery/

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

Busy, busy here, huh?

Hello & welcome PJ. Congrats on your 3 AF days - you have a great start!

Welcome back Ginger! Stay close this time, we're here to support everyone

Appraently Dr House & I share the same Zero Tolerance for Bullshit Philosophy :H :H
                              I can totally see/hear him doing that on the show. My special brand is what I like to call
                              Lavan-ittude :H

Greetings & good night wishes to everyone. Granny Lav had a long & somewhat irritating day with two grandsons.....
                              Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                              Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dottie:
                                I had a crappy job when I first moved to ca and I started looking for another job right away. So start looking for another job because you are right, life is too short to waste your life working w a crappy manager. She can make you want to drink and your health is more important.
                                Hope you find another job soon!
                                Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                                A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Working...
                                X