Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Kuya...I had never thought of our situation quite that way before. Wow. It is amazing that any of us have success given the fact that it's not only everywhere, it's encouraged! I have a new respect for my fellow journeyers.

I hope we hear from Lav tonight...we are still getting gusts here in the 30 mph range so I feel for those to the North. Even Stumpy's hair would be a mess in this wind!!

Dottie, my dad is 89 and is falling just about every week now. It's almost as if we know how this is going to end....just not when. It's awful to see him hurt himself and then claim that he is ok. He still wants to DRIVE and he can barely walk. He has so much pride and it is hard to see him struggle. Seeing your parents age is heartbreaking...but at the same time, we still have them. Every day is a gift (I try to tell myself).

I hope everyone has a safe, AF night. Dig your heels in and don't give in no matter what and no matter who. Nothing is more important to me that my quit! Warm hugs from me!! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

kuya;1401806 wrote:

Reading about Fin made me REALLY think about this, and for the first time it has hit me how very,very STRONG recovering alcoholics are. We are fecking amazing, and I will now tell you why.......

:H:H
      Kuya, what a great post. I will carry that thought daily. We are strong. And we are brave. And we are humbled by a degree of self awareness that many never reach.

And from what I have experienced here, towards others we are.......forgiving, supportive, patient, encouraging, humorous, insightful.....

Seems like recovery brings out the best in us.

One final thought. A friend told me recently (since I quit AL) that she would not date a particular man because he had substance abuse issues in his past. This is a guy who is self-made wealthy, fit, intelligent, and funny. When she mentioned the substance abuse, she said it in a soft voice, the way people used to refer to cancer sufferers. I remember thinking, boy I am not going to share my giving up AL, and I'm afraid at what others will say when this inevitably comes up. Now, I'm thinking, even if the average person doesn't understand, I'm going to remember that in fact we are awesome.

Catbuddy
      "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kuya, most excellent post and thanks for the kick in the pants. I felt that all the way from New Zealand.

I'll be back tomorrow and the next day and the next, etc, etc...

Be safe all you Eastern Seaboard commards,
        -Fin
        Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
        Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Here I am avoiding work again! Must get started as soon as I get off. This is day 7 for me, I quit on a Monday, though I started quitting last sunday w/a 2 beer taper. Sunday was the hardest day. Monday I had hope, and today I have hope too. Picked up some more leaves. My bff is considering quitting too and deciding whether to quit cigs or booze first. She doesn't drink nearly as much as I did and I think cigs are more important to her.

Sorry about your slip, Fin, I try to think of it as 3 weeks of practice at staying sober. I'm doing progress notes at home tonight and I'm not going to drink tonight. There's only one challenging event coming up this week, and LGBT event I helped organize, there will be a cash bar. I'm thinking I won't take any cash, and since I'm there in an official capacity and really want to represent for my people, I can get through this. So many times after I drink I spend the next morning wondering if I hurt anyone's feelings, went too far, was a fool, etc. I'm going to look forward to knowing, not wondering, the next day. And think about what a better rep for my people I can be sober. Thank you all for being here. Take care.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dorothy Free! Congratulations on you 7 Full Days AF! On behalf of the nest, please accept our major award: :moon: Yes, you have kicked AL's Arse for one week! I am so happy for you! You will never be sorry for any day you remain sober! Well done!

Catbuddy, I find that it is nobody else's business about my relationship with AL. I do not feel inclined to share this with anyone for the reasons you mentioned. I don't want my name to be spoken in hushed tones. It is amazing to me that there is still such a stigma associated with this disease, but there sure is. I had a coworker that was a heavy drinker and finally succombed to it at the age of 46. I had a heck of a time finding out why he died. When I finally did, the person said, "David fought with his demon for a long time and it just caught up with him". Alcohol poisoning. I don't want, nor do I intend, to go out that way. I'm going out kicking and screaming and sober!! My friends here are the only people that need to know my struggle. Even hubs doesn't know the extent of the hell I was in. He, of course, knows the hell I put him in. The ripples we make reach far beyond ourselves.

Thanks for listening to my ramble....but Cat's message sure reminded me of my coworker.... I am honored to be on this journey with all of you. Byrdie
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

"Even hubs doesn't know the extent of the hell I was in. He, of course, knows the hell I put him in. The ripples we make reach far beyond ourselves."
              I can so relate to the above...
              Dottie
              Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 43 in the Big Sober House cont'd

Sandy sits weeping with Matilda

MATILDA: What is it Sandy?

SANDY: (sniffles) Nobody loves me Matilda! They all hate me Matilda! I'm just gonna leave Matilda!

MATILDA: But Sandy, nobody thinks anything of the sort -

SANDY: Sure they do. That's what they've all been saying this past week, "Oh dear, here comes Sandy" and "When Sandy's here, it's sure gonna be the worst experience these Easter Seaboard States have seen in a generation" and "Batten down the hatched - here comes Sandy!" "Yes, Sandy is one huge FrankenMutt"... Waaaaahhhhhhhhhh. Nobody loves me. Nobody cares...... (sniffles)

MATILDA: You don't seem to understand -

SANDY: Sure i do -

MATILDA: No you don't... let me explain.

Matilda explains about Sandy the FrankenSTORM, as opposed to mutt

SANDY: Oh. Really? (Matilda nods)

Just then, as if on cue, Fin enters riding horseback, with his Mandolin.

MATILDA: Whatcha doin' Fin?

FIN: 'Am back on the saddle here, Ms Matilda.

MATILDA: Why, did ya fall?

FIN: No, just tried temptation at an Inn back there... But this here ol' horse, well, he just buckaroo'ed me right back on him. So here I am, riding and a musin' and a singing a song.

MATILDA: Whatcha gonna sing, Fin?

FIN: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrkThaBWa5c[/video]] This...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Great post Kuya; I also drew some strength from that.
                  After coming back on day 1 today, a neighbour called in to ask me down for drinks tomorrow night. I could already feel the 'pull' and mind games starting - on day 1!!!!!!
                  It won't mean any more or less to them whether I am AF or not, but it means everything to me. My eyes are puffy and I look worn out. I have so much work to get through this week and it can only be done sober.
                  I think this is where I make sobriety a priority and just say no and not worry what others have to say.
                  IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                  Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

daisy45;1401888 wrote: Great post Kuya; I also drew some strength from that.
                    After coming back on day 1 today, a neighbour called in to ask me down for drinks tomorrow night. I could already feel the 'pull' and mind games starting - on day 1!!!!!!
                    It won't mean any more or less to them whether I am AF or not, but it means everything to me. My eyes are puffy and I look worn out. I have so much work to get through this week and it can only be done sober.
                    I think this is where I make sobriety a priority and just say no and not worry what others have to say.
                    I think that is why we are sooo vulnerable in those first days. The alcohol just begs to be topped up. It is not the same when we later decide to risk it, then it is just poor choice, for you now it is chemical. I would suggest not going.... Pull a sick one and cry off today. There will be PLENTY more days to be tempted, rest assured!:H

And the same to you Fin, give yourself THREE days in hiding to clear the alcohol, the call back is strong. I know this only too well. I just didn't have you lot back then!

Comment

Newbies Nest

You know, that is so true. The first week is the biggest pull back. I really want to get it together now. I know that the longer the delay, the harder it is. I just have no time for alcohol. Such a waste of time and energy!!!
                      I feel angry at myself, angry at alcohol, blah, blah, blah........
                      IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                      Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kuya,

Your post was great. When you quit heroin (or cigarettes even) you are hailed as a survivor, someone of amazing strength. When you quit alcohol you're weird (?). Plus, my "heroin" is always on sale it seems. AND I could buy it in the same place I pick up my Antabuse. The pharmacy is at the back of the store, right next to the coolers full of beer.
                        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/...ps302092af.jpg

trying to post a pick of Annie the pug/chihuahua
                          Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

DB, you did it!!!! SHE is adorable!!! AWWWWW, and she's all dressed up for Trick R Treating!!!
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9Lover;1401914 wrote: Kuya,

Your post was great. When you quit heroin (or cigarettes even) you are hailed as a survivor, someone of amazing strength. When you quit alcohol you're weird (?). Plus, my "heroin" is always on sale it seems. AND I could buy it in the same place I pick up my Antabuse. The pharmacy is at the back of the store, right next to the coolers full of beer.
                              If an alien visited from outer space we would be blasted to oblivion for being such a dumb species. It's only when you are sober that you realise the emporar really is just naked!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening all,

Just thought I'd drop in now because while the power is on
                                Crazy wind howling out there!

Dottie, cute but scarey looking doggie pic :H
                                Glad you are OK.

K9, I feel bad that most of you have to deal with beer/wine sales in supermarkets. There are still no sales in this portion of the state - we have to go to state run stores to buy booze. Glad I'm not dealing with that anymore.
                                I hope everyone has a safe & cozy night in the nest! I'll be back when the power gods restore the power that I know is going to disappear any moment

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X