• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Cat -

Brilliant post.

And let me raise a

to your new AF days and ways and long may they continue...

(And there's nothing i love more than lying on my back staring in sublime awe and wonder at the night sky... )

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cat 'twas a lovely post and I identify with how you feel, cos I felt the same. And someone, like me, told me what I told you, and one day soon there will be someone in this nest that you will tell what I told you, and we will pull each other out of this dark well one after the other. And if someone slips other hands will stretch out to grab them........that's how this works :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

kuya;1403435 wrote: Cat 'twas a lovely post and I identify with how you feel, cos I felt the same. And someone, like me, told me what I told you, and one day soon there will be someone in this nest that you will tell what I told you, and we will pull each other out of this dark well one after the other. And if someone slips other hands will stretch out to grab them........that's how this works :h
        KY that brought a tear to me eye...........

And well done Cat on your 30 days hun xxx:goodjob::l
        Trying again from 22nd September 2014 Keeping it simple. Keeping it real.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Great post cat.....and yep - I'll say it again...in the grand scheme of things - the 30 day marker is really early on. Things are still hard - like you said - not so much as the first week - but still vastly more difficult than it is at 3 months which is that much more difficult than 6 months....and the same with a year. I read it, I heard it - and I thought I "got" it - but until I lived it, I didn't know.

it's funny - I've been getting regular exercise all along...this whole year - treadmill - walking the dogs - nothing too "routine" though....and a few years ago I did a rigorous routine for 6 months straight (P90X) WHILE I was drinking. I distinctly remember logging in vodka calories into my food log...and I also remember getting close to the end of my workout and thinking that I could then go up and drink. Anyway. I haven't done the workouts on any regular basis for years, and I did one yesterday. I was shocked at how well I did - my energy levels stayed up - no fatigue, and I did well. I honestly felt more fatigue doing them back then - even after months of doing them every single day - with alcohol in the picture.

I wanted to say this for two reasons...first - that I thought then - that I could balance the drinking out - by doing well and trying so hard with everything else. I worked soooo very hard to keep the house together - to do good things for my family - my health (working out and taking supplements) so that I could drink. It just made no sense at all....and to see that while I thought I was doing fine - things did catch up eventually - I started lagging in all areas....I can now see that those workouts were fighting an uphill battle as long as there was alcohol always in my body.

Second, I just wanted to say that it has taken me a year to get here. To where I feel like I've caught up enough in all these areas of my life so that I CAN tackle a workout routine again. I know that for some, it's a key factor in their success early on - and definitely getting up and getting moving is...but I do think that sometimes we go whole hog in the beginning - "I quit drinking - I'm going to workout for an hour every day - I'm going to "fix" everything that got messed up while I was drinking...." and we neglect taking that down time that we need to do some healing of our body and our soul. In my case, at least - slow and steady wins the race - in this recovery game.

lola
          ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Thursday morning Nesters

CONGRATS on your 30 AF days Cat!
            I remember how hard that first month was but I take pride & am comforted in knowing I will never have to go through that again. That was & still is my decision, the right one for me

Wishing everyone a terrific AF Thursday!
            Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Made it through Halloween AF. Nice. That's another link in the addiction chain that has been broken. At day 4, this quit has been so much easier than the first time around. That said, I'm sad not to be celebrating 30 with Cat. Oh well. I WILL get there this time around and beyond.

Be good everyone,
              -Fin
              Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
              Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lolab - just go and be oor guru. You just keep spouting the most wise, thoughtful, apt stuff.

Slow and steady wins the race... It does. But we are - I am - often blind to it. I'm an impulsive wee shite and need to learn from those who know that running isn't always the way forward.

RC

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone - would it be OK to join you all in here? Day One for me today - 1st day of the month and a great opportunity for a fresh start!!
                  Never put off to tomorrow what you can achieve today!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Snap! You're always welcome here. Good luck on your first day. We've all been through it and know what you're feeling. Have a look around, read the posts, ask for help. Someone will post a link to the toolbox for you. Most of all you're hanging with the right crowd here.
                    Good thoughts to you.
                    ~nurdl
                    :notes:
                    we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello snapdragon! I love snapdragons!

Hope you have a successful first day and enjoy the mwO community.

Nurdl: you sound better than yesterday!

Hope everyone have a good AF day.
                      Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                      A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning, Snap!! You are right, the first of the month is a most excellent start! Makes it easy to count. I remember you, so I imagine that you know where things are located...but in case you need it, the Tool Box link is in my signature line below. You have come to the right place if you are ready to take that leap of faith with those of us who thought we couldn't live ONE night without AL. Please pull up a twig and catch up with us.

Cat, what a beautiful post. You really can't see it until you are able to get away from it and get some distance. For us, drinking AL has a very high price. For me, it was about to take all...sounds like you were there, too. I thought it was something I had to have in order to get thru the day...looking back I just shake my head. What I was willing to lose in order to drink is FRIGHTENING. That morning of Jan 20, 2011, my hubs looked me in the eye and said 'it's me or AL' and I had to honestly THINK about it? THAT is the power of addiction. I am so glad you are here with us. The victory truly is sweeter when it's been hard fought. You don't realize how good life can be until you've had to fight to get it back. It IS worth it.

Lola, as always, your posts are so thoughtful. I remember posting at around the year mark and I was worried that it had taken me so long to get the obsessive thoughts out of my head. I saw people posting at 6 months what I was just now feeling at a year! Your words are so true....it is an individual path. It isn't a race at all....it is a journey that is done one small step at a time. I found that I follow where I look, and I am choosing to look forward. I am forgiving myself for 25 years of liquid coping. I am pickiing up where I left off all those many years ago and moving forward. And the best part is...I don't need AL to do it.

It is an honor to be here with everyone...if you are here, you want support and together we can do that for each other. NO, HELL NO!! AL will not take one more day of my life! Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

:welcome: Snapdragon!

So happy to have you join us! Like Byrdie said, the first of the month is a great time to start. I jumped into the nest on Oct. 1 and now have 32 days alcohol free. You will get loads of support from everyone here. Just strap yourself in and take notes, because there will be tons and tons of wisdom and good advice from people who have been just where you are now and understand what you are going through. We are so glad to have you join us!

:h Star
                          :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Snap, saddle up with a post to Roll Call - Day 1! I'm not far ahead of you on Day 4, so let's ride...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Go forward boldly today...

"Never falter in this daily, steady persistence. Go forward boldly and unafraid." - p.47 Twenty Four Hours a Day

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all,
                                Cold here in ohio...bbbbbbbbbrrrrrrrrrrr not liking this...
                                Working from home and managing to get things done....eye is still blurry but if I take little breaks I am ok.
                                Hope you all are having a great sober day...
                                is there a gadget somewhere that will help me count the days??
                                Also where do you all get the cute smiley faces??

Welcome snap!!

Dottie
                                Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Working...
                                X