Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

AF......those years aren't lost, just punctuated.

Your return and posting inspires and teaches others.

I also read and followed the 'seven weeks' method and really rate her approach. Her ' typing' was spot on for me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Dottie,

Just wanted to say how much you are in my thoughts and prayers. I don't know how you have been able to deal with this overwhelming situation. And in addition to battling AL. Not to mention your 'wonderful' work situation. I'm sure many, many of us are sending our thoughts and prayers your way. Stay close and let us know how you are doing. Hugs to you!
      AF since 12/2/12
      http://hamsnetwork.org/taper/

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dottie Belle;1413639 wrote: Picked up a few things from my dads...I am NOT ready to start going through all the stuff in that house just yet...they moved there in 1959. Going to be a lot of work and when I am ready we will take one room at a time....I will of course have to look through the stuff and also plan to take a shredder.

Cleaned out the tomato beds today. Looks good for the winter. going to plant differently next year. I do like to garden...retirement hobby...also plan to take some courses on horticulture.

dottie
        Ho, Dottie, come Spring let's exchange gardening stories. For the first time in ten years, I couldn't get my act together last Spring to plant a garden (one more proof point it was the year of the end). I'm very excited about executing the new raised beds and irrigation plans I have had for years. Truly, now I feel well enough and am not drunk on weekends (!) so will have energy to garden.

Funny (or sad), we had one lonely volunteer tomato plant come up on its own this year. It was a lovely orange mini tomato, lots of delicate fruit and tons of production. It was at the far end of the row that usually houses about eight plants. I hope it comes up again next Spring, and finds all the new row mates!

Cat

P.S. I've lost 14 lbs since my quit. I celebrated by buying new workout clothes today (I've been wearing shorts and running pants that are more than ten years old....) Feel good in my new clothes. Finally.
        "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Almost free: thanks for the information. I'm taking milk thistle but not sure what's a good brand and what's not. I'll check out the Jarrow brand next time I go to vitamin shoppe.
          Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
          A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Kuya, for all of your kind and encouraging words. They really mean a lot to me. And thanks to everyone else here, who have welcomed me back without judgement and only kindness. Hope to do better and, please God, not have to start over, ever again.
            AF since 12/2/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

[QUOTE=kuya;1413600]Everybody needs to find this out for themselves.......AF is just easier IMHO...... and WHY would you wanna drink poison anyway?

Try and put your words into a story where it was heroin addiction...... What would you say to someone who tried to moderate their heroin? [/QUOTE

Thank you Kuya. Love you. love your posts.
              http://baclofentreatment.com/
              http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org
              http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org/f...or-alcoholism/

Comment

Newbies Nest

Choosing Supplements

:goodjob:Hi all,

Almost free, you've inspired me too; thanks for sharing re the nutritional issues.

There is a website to help in choosing brands: consumerlabs.com

It's a paid membership (don't remember how much), but the organization does an extensive and credible job in testing supplements. My doctor recommended it to me years ago. Omega-3 from Fish Oil, for example, can be contaminated with unacceptable levels of mercury from the fish. This website helps you choose.

I also use Whole Foods brand pretty extensive - really like their B complex line, for example. It always passes the quality and safety tests. Contrast that with Costco - their Omega-3 brand failed when I checked a few years ago.

RC
                , well done avoiding temptation when all alone at your parents cottage. You asked us to remind you about getting depressed when you drink; that setting sounds like a place ripe for it. Stay strong, and come home.

Cat
                "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sunday evening & all is well

Congrats to the moon recipients today

Byrdie, Mick is going to the Canary Islands - now aren't you jealous?? I know I am!

I think anyone who loses weight when they quit drinking is really lucky.....
                  I didn't lose an ounce then I gained 13 lbs a few months later when I quit smoking
                  But, I have lost that now & would love to see another 8 or 9 lbs disappear. We shall see!!!!!

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Cat, great information to have. I will check them out.

RC, good for you! What's really scary is how close we can come to doing it all again, following so soon on the heels of the last 'lesson'. Truly a cunning, baffling, powerful disease.

Lavande, when I adopted the 'no white stuff' diet, (no white flour, bread, rice, sugar, pasta, potaoes) when I started the 'seven weeks' approach, I dropped a pound every other day. Thirty pounds in 2 months and went on even further to drop another 19. Forty nine pounds in total.

I was so excited to get the quick results, it became an obsession in itself. A good one. I was excited to get up every morning just to weigh myself. I went from a 165 lb.' bag lady',(having let myself go) to 116 lbs, slimmer than I had ever been in my life. Most of the weight came from drinking, which would also trigger horrible 'black out' eating. I'm well into middle age, with three kids behind me, in other words, no spring chicken. Didn't even exercise, either!
                    AF since 12/2/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

p.s. lavande, I meant no WHITE bread. I did allow myself one (or two, some days) pieces of whole grain bread, to make my half turkey or peanut butter sandwich.
                      AF since 12/2/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

DAY 17

Day 17 under by belt. Spent the day with my daughter. We went and saw The Nutcracker Ballet. It was beautiful. There were actually times in the day when I didn't think of Al!

There is hope. But....I go back to work tomorrow. I have been off for two weeks. to get healthy.

Good night everyone.
                        AF Since 11/02/12 :wings::bananacomputer::lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

As lav told me pick q day to tomorrow's is the day. Did over 40 days and I can do it again. Stress is bad bu t wine is not helping.
                          Dottie
                          Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Luck Dottie, we are all pulling for you.
                            AF Since 11/02/12 :wings::bananacomputer::lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks to u all for the support. And to top it all off dh was diagnosed with prostate cancer last year at this time. Hard, rough year to say the least. But I am still standing and ready to stand up and fight it all
                              Dottie
                              Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

almost free;1413705 wrote: p.s. lavande, I meant no WHITE bread. I did allow myself one (or two, some days) pieces of whole grain bread, to make my half turkey or peanut butter sandwich.
                                I am going to try your 'no white food' approach as my weight has spiraled in the last ten years. I have indulged whilst not drinking but am now feeling more stable blood sugar wise.

I will let you know how it goes.

Good luck Dottie. I know it doesn't feel like it ATM but all your problems will be so much easier to deal with sober.

My quit, this time, was forced by how ill I was feeling but it coincided with the WORST work situation from which I still don't know if I will lose my home AND my business. Quitting has allowed me to deal with the problems in an orderly way and I know if I had been drinking there would have been a distinct possibility that suicide may have been contemplated.

I am not being melodramatic, this is the honest truth, and is the sad reality for many alcoholics overwhelmed by life events. Quit now, while it is hard and you make yourself 'bombproof' in the future.

Comment

Working...
                                X