Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Dottie Belle;1413955 wrote: Morning all,
    Off to a care meeting at the LTC center. I am so overwhelmed. I have to take control and not let so many things get to me. Easier said than done...
    Dottie
    Dottie, I find the overwhelmed feelings come from not breaking things down into manageable steps or lists. If I write things down and give some order to them and check them off as I get them done, I feel less overwhelmed. It's as if the list is holding the responsibility for me while I tend to ONE thing at a time. I used to keep a notepad and pen by my bed so if I woke in the night concerned or worried, I'd write it down so I could forget about it until the next day. Maybe this will help.

Moni, it's normal. Remember that thought is only a thought until you act on it. Keep slaying it down with the truth and don't let it lie to you. Fake it till you make it if that is what is needed. My first go around I made the thoughts and AL into an evil enemy and actually visually slayed them down. It made me feel like I was doing something with the thoughts and put them in the role they deserved...destructive enemy!!!
    Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi moni. Great work on getting to day 5! Just a couple more days and you will have one whole week under your belt!
      Can you figure out a way that you will not have to stop at the store this afternoon? I also had trouble going "straight home" from work. If I could just make a "non-stop" run to the house, I had half the battle won because then I could get busy doing some non-alcohol related things around the house. Don't cook if you can get out of it. Maybe you could even change clothes and take off your makeup (if you wear it) or wash your hair so you won't be tempted to go back out. Anything to get thru these next couple days!
      :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Slay...I don't think I'm the one with the hormones. I sort of cheated my way thru that, I took BC pills non stop for 2 years...then when I stopped taking those, I realized I was thru M. The night sweats I had been having for years that I attributed to M stopped once I quit drinking. I mean stopped! AL was the problem there, too. (go figure)

Hey Moni! So glad you are here...5 days is HUGE in our world...in my opinion, you are over the worst of it. Well done! The others have heard this a million times, but early in my quit, a nestmate was going shopping with her sisters and afterwards, they were going to stop for lunch and a glass of wine. She said, "Besides, what's ONE glass of wine going to do for me anyway?" I can't tell you why, but that became my mantra. We say what we'd give for just ONE glass, but the sad reality is that ONE glass, hells bells, one bottle isn't going get us where we want to go. This is the power of addiction. Whatever you are doing is working! So rinse and repeat! We are so glad you're with us! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1413936 wrote: I sometimes fear that someone will hand me a drink with something in it and I'll taste it by mistake. I have thought of a contingency for this....yes, this is part of MY plan....I will spit it back into the glass (like a lady, but spit, nonetheless). I do not want to give Dick Head ONE opportunity to say that it was ok.
          This is just plain brilliant. Friends, to me this is the difference between planning for success and "hoping" or "wishing" to remain AF. Is my plan this good? No it isn't, not yet. I am stealing this and taping it to the bottom of my plan. Byrdie, thanks for this today. Stuff like this is the reason I love to check in everyday.

DorothyFree, congratulations on your AF time!

Lolab, that's good news about the workout! I just took a week off from work a little bit ago and I worked out hard for about 90 minutes per day (which is more than I typically get to do with my work and family schedules). It was great and I felt tired and happy. I'm happy for you!

Hi Moni and congratulations on your 5 days. It sounds like the dangerous point is going to the grocery store. Can you make a plan to get you through that event the way YOU want to? The thoughts can be strong right now, but you can starve them over time. I would intentionally eat a snack before going shopping.

I hope everyone has a great AF day.
          "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
          AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1413568 wrote: Fin, I just checked back in to see that you have posted to the roll! On behalf of the Newbie's Nest, please accept this small token of a job well done! :moon: We all know what a big task this is. Winning awards may not be your biggest incentive to be AF, but keep in mind at 30 days you get a hat! I am so happy for you!
            Thank You. Here on Day 8 and feelin' good. I also have the full green light to pursue the Grand Canyon trip. Now I'm nervous.
            Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
            Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, Fin! I am excited for you getting the green light on the Grand Canyon trip! What's to be nervous about. I guess that shows how much I know about getting prepared for something like that! And Big congrats on day 8!

08-13-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Starfish1;1413992 wrote: What's to be nervous about?!
                BIG WATER, Class V rapids. Class VI are considered unrunable. One of the things that's helping me keep it in perspective is thinking of the likes of Laird Hamilton who surfs the largest waves on the planet. These big wave guys don't wear helmets, or life jackets and their waves are 100X more powerful than what's found on The Grand. That said, both environments are extreme.

Comment

Newbies Nest

HOLD on then MR. Fin- I don't think I'm gonnal let you go then, young man!!! This is the mama speakin here and that sounds mighty dangerous!

08-13-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Starfish1;1413995 wrote: HOLD on then MR. Fin- I don't think I'm gonnal let you go then, young man!!! This is the mama speakin here and that sounds mighty dangerous!
                    I hear you. To calm these fears I, also consider the numbers. It's something like 95,000 folks floating a year w/o incident. Last river death was in 2008 -- old guy heart attack.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh okay then. We know you are young and energetic, so we have full faith in your capabilities. Go for it with our blessings - I'm sure you needed our permission :H

08-13-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin! That is both wonderful and SCARY! Now I'm nervous! That guy's advice to you was pretty dang solid...You ride the waves when you get on them.
                        Are we gonna be able to keep up with your journey? Will you have a way to keep us posted? Are you taking your mandolin? Gosh, I have more questions than answers, but I am happy for you (I think!). Are you a good swimmer? B
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1414004 wrote: Fin! That is both wonderful and SCARY! Now I'm nervous! That guy's advice to you was pretty dang solid...You ride the waves when you get on them.
                          Are we gonna be able to keep up with your journey? Will you have a way to keep us posted? Are you taking your mandolin? Gosh, I have more questions than answers, but I am happy for you (I think!). Are you a good swimmer? B
                          Mandolin is definitely going. There will be a handful of other musicians on the trip + an ER doctor. I can swim, yes...and I row crew with a local club where I live. I have 8 months to train which I'm really looking forward to. I'll be ready. Getting ready is almost as fun as the trip itself.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin;1414012 wrote: Mandolin is definitely going. There will be a handful of other musicians on the trip + an ER doctor. I can swim, yes...and I row crew with a local club where I live. I have 8 months to train which I'm really looking forward to. I'll be ready. Getting ready is almost as fun as the trip itself.
                            Which ER doc ya taking, Fin?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Star has 50 days - woot!

:woot: :woot: and :yay:

Go STAR!!!!!!

Congratulations on 50 days AF

Inspirational. Really, Star, it is.

RC

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, R.C. that almost slipped up on me! I just happened to take a peak at the Roll Call and noticed you have a BIG SOBER SEVEN DAYS and you know what that means-

A BIG SOBER :moon:

Congratulations, R.C. !

08-13-15

Comment

Working...
                                X