Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi Willow, and welcome! I noticed you are in the UK. Is there any possibility you can get a prescription for some valium? Through many, many helllish withdrawals, I had nothing. The last one, and once, years ago, I was prescribed some 10mg valium to take 3 times a day for a couple of days. It was miraculous in its relief! An absolute miracle. I've never been into pills and didn't even take my third day's worth, but I'll never forget the relief it gave me. Hope you can get some relief today.

Oh, Lolab, what a terrible development! It's so hard when you have family undermining your heroic efforts. I used to attend an early morning Thanksgiving Day AA women's meeting, just to give strength to all those women who generally drank all day, WHILE they were cooking the dinner. I was seriously panicking at the prospect of cooking all day, without my all-day companion, AL! The meeting was packed! Stay close lolab. We are here for you.

Slay, we did have to kick him out in the past, before he was diagnosed and we believed it was all related to drug abuse. At that time he still had a friend to take him in. There was also an attempt, later, to rent him a room, but that ended in disaster, as it was at that time, due to a major meltdown, that we started to realize that something was seriously, mentally wrong. He ended up on the street for a short time, freezing, hungry, totally delusional and unable to help himself. I can't tell you how heartbreaking that was.

The problem with a group home, with supervision (my preference) is that they won't consider it unless he goes back on those horrible meds. They seemed to resent that he was doing much, much better than all the others in his group on the alternative (non-drug)treatment we were pursuing. They said that others may be 'influenced' to go off their meds.

According to their 'protocol', they automatically keep everyone on the meds for two years, and if all goes well, then they will slowly take them off. I found out that there is an 80% relapse after weaning off, (IMO because they are not addressing the central problem outlined by Dr. Hoffer). So basically, their way meant a lifetime of drug dependence and never being able to function normally, ending up on the street, in a downward spiral. Not to mention the horrific side effects from the meds. I wanted to give him a chance for a normal life, before giving up.

Well, enough about that.......thanks so much to everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers. I'm praying for some way to reach him (including my own sobriety as an example) to help him give up the pot.
    AF since 12/2/12
    http://hamsnetwork.org/taper/

Comment

Newbies Nest

I just had a close call myself, Lolab :upset: This is not easy :upset: A couple of things saved me- recalling the Rabbit hole saga and thinking about all of you. This is scary! Stay strong :l
      :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone, I just joined and am on day 3. Not doing too bad so far but days 4 and 5 are always the ones where I fall so I'm psyching myself up for the challenges ahead. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and helping each other through this. For now I'm taking it one day at a time as looking any further ahead has always been my downfall.

Moni, I just wanted to say I think you are being very sensible getting groceries delivered - I won't be going anywhere near a supermarket during the witching hours for a very long time... it means I have to get up early to do my shopping in the morning when it's 'safe' but if that's how it has to be then that's how it has to be!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome, Red and congrats on your 3 Alcohol Free days - Great work! Good strategy for planning ahead and recognizing certain danger zones and times, such as the grocery store and the witching hour. Have you had a chance to look at the MWO toolbox yet? You can access it by using the link in my signature line. Stick close to the nest, use the tools provided, read and post and before you know it you will have a whole AF week under your belt! We are so glad to have you here with us!
          :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Red Riding, and welcome! I'm starting out (again!), too. Counting this as Day 4, (instead of 5). Not sure I can count last Friday, since I was drinking into the wee hours of the morning, but didn't drink from 6am on. Why does this matter to me?! Guess I want credit for that difficult day. Me, the person who was no longer going to count days! Whatever......

So glad you are here! Hope we all get through the ever-challenging Thanksgiving Day. Everyone, please stay close so we can rely on each other during this especially difficult time.
            AF since 12/2/12
            http://hamsnetwork.org/taper/

Comment

Newbies Nest

Red Riding Hood, I got through day 4 and 5. I just had to remind myself that if I caved in that was it. I'm just ahead of you, on day 6. I won't deny I'm finding today very tough. I'm waiting on my groceries and praying he doesn't bring me somebody else's by mistake with a great big bottle of wine in it. I'm so consumed with wanting a glass right now but know it would be disastrous. I even went to the fridge on autopilot to pour myself one. I have so many juices and cordials coming with my groceries. I just need to hang in there now and have one of those.
              I didn't think this was going to be so difficult so soon.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Red, glad you found the nest and well done on your AF days. First week the hardest. Stay close. :goodjob:

Almost Free.......I so relate to the pot smoking son. My son started smoking pot at 14 and is now 23. It arrests emotional development. My son's drug problems are a direct result of my drinking, I was too canned to address his emotional needs at the correct time. We are healing that now, but it is slow. He will only stop drugging when he sees his mum tackling and dealing with life without drugs. I also have done a lot of apologizing, not in an enabling way, just because the truth was I loved booze MORE than him for a long time, painful to admit,but true nonetheless.
                Whilst he does not suffer schizophrenia, he does not have a medical condition to excuse his failure in life to date, so his self-esteem is on the floor. He is in a relationship with another pothead, she has worse esteem issues, sexual abuse by grandfather, so they are VERY codependent.
                Try and separate the schizophrenia from the pot. Could you go to counseling with him? There may be issues you can address which will help you both.

Moni......well done you, tis good to have plans.......empowering. For weeks I ensured I had NO reason to leave the house in the evening and really stocked up to avoid shopping. A sign of change last night was to realise at 9.00 pm that I was out of coffee and went to the store with NO fear of the alcohol aisle. What a difference in only a few weeks...... I wish we could bottle it and give it to people starting out!

Lola......sorry your SO was so insensitive. Do you think there is something behind this passive aggressive behaviour?

Hi Slay, hope you can put your marriage on a better footing, don't sacrifice yourself again though, you are more important as you well know.

Without YOU there is no US....... Another motto perhaps????

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Moni and Red. Welcome. Sorry about the relative Lolab. That sounds tough. I was looking forward to no company....but DH asked today if he could invite some people. Oh well. They probably won't stay long. Never been a big shopper, but thinking about promising the girls a shopping trip. The stores are open here Thursday night...which I hate....but it would keep me on the straight and narrow. Maybe just a run out for one fun thing...dh will probably put his foot down.

Anyway, taking a break, Tea and knitting.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Nesters...been traveling today to visit the family. 6 hours in the car with a chihuahua.....I am reminded that as recently as 2 years ago, I'd have been plastered by now. Drinking at each rest stop and gulping it from bottle hidden in the lining of my suitcase when hubs when out to get ice or walk the dog. What a prison I was in. I am so thankful to be 22 months AF today! I have a lot to be thankful for. Is everything perfect, absolutely not, far from it...but I am being the best me I know how, and that makes up a lot of ground. I wish I had longer to respond, my thoughts are with everyone here, this place IS a lifeline.
                    I need to find the @#$%^&! Thread again, because my family is FECKING NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay stong everyone...the holidays are going to test us, but we can all do this! IF I CAN DO IT, I KNOW YOU CAN!! XXOO, Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1414642 wrote: Hey Nesters...been traveling today to visit the family. 6 hours in the car with a chihuahua.....I am reminded that as recently as 2 years ago, I'd have been plastered by now. Drinking at each rest stop and gulping it from bottle hidden in the lining of my suitcase when hubs when out to get ice or walk the dog. What a prison I was in. I am so thankful to be 22 months AF today! I have a lot to be thankful for. Is everything perfect, absolutely not, far from it...but I am being the best me I know how, and that makes up a lot of ground. I wish I had longer to respond, my thoughts are with everyone here, this place IS a lifeline.
                      I need to find the @#$%^&! Thread again, because my family is FECKING NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay stong everyone...the holidays are going to test us, but we can all do this! IF I CAN DO IT, I KNOW YOU CAN!! XXOO, Byrdie
                      Nice! I know I can just to get here next July

Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                      Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin, my word, how calming....I needed that. I don't think anybody in my family owns a wrist watch or a pencil. Supposed to go to my brother's house tonight for dinner and he forgot to tell his wife!!!!!!!!!!!!! (not feeling the love). Glad I have you guys!!!! Love to all, and lord help me not to strangle anybody til I get home on Thursday night! XO, B
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 6 almost over. Too late to buy alcohol now and in my pyjamas sipping on sparkling water and cranberry cordial
                          Start day 7 tomorrow.
                          Spent the evening studying my part-time course.
                          Time to update my tracker now i know I'm out of the woods for another day.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening nesters.

Fin - that image left me speechless. Awesome.

Byrdie. Well, well, well, 22 months eh? Not bad, not bad at all! Soon you'll be 2 whole years. Wow. To say :goodjob: isn't enough. Bloody brilliant it is.

Nout much to report here. Dr Richard Head keeps popping by, but he's gone for tonight.

Just been doing my tax accounts which is really, reallyzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzaaa..choo.. .zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1414642 wrote: I am so thankful to be 22 months AF today! I have a lot to be thankful for.
                              wow, that is some achievement! I can't wait to be speaking in months and not days (and sometimes hours!) :goodjob:

Comment

Newbies Nest

moni;1414663 wrote: wow, that is some achievement! I can't wait to be speaking in months and not days (and sometimes hours!) :goodjob:
                                I know how you feel but ODAAT, next week I can say THREE MONTHS. It has gone from 30 days soooooo quickly and is starting to feel normal.

Hang in there Moni, the slow passage of time ATM is an illusion CAUSED by alcohol. Now my days go by much too fast.

Comment

Working...
                                X