Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Way to go Kuya and Byrdie. Yes please let's resurrect the $&@! thread. It's so helpful for the holidays. It's really lovely to see all the Christmas lights up in London. Very festive. Good thoughts to all in your holiday preparations.
    ~nurdl
    :notes:
    we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Newbies Nest

nurdl;1414686 wrote: Way to go Kuya and Byrdie. Yes please let's resurrect the $&@! thread. It's so helpful for the holidays. It's really lovely to see all the Christmas lights up in London. Very festive. Good thoughts to all in your holiday preparations.
      ~nurdl
      Have a great time Nurdl.....don't spend too much! takes loads of piccies to show us.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Once I get back someone with mad posting skills will
        have to walk me through the art of posting pictures here.
        xoxo
        ~nurdl
        :notes:
        we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Newbies Nest

PHOTOBUCKET nurdl :H
          You will have to open a free account & load your pictures in there, post a link here for us. Hope you are having a great time

I am wiped out after 2 solid days of watching grandkids. Tomorrow I will rest up while house cleaning, catching up with my business & doing some prep work for Thanksgiving dinner :H :H

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest. Byrdie, don't let the relatives get to you......you should have taken Stella with you for protection!!!!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello, nesters:

Been lurking. Kind of obsessed w new book I'm reading but I check the posts once in awhile.

Almost free: sorry about what you are going through w your son. It's hard whether you are dealing w dementia or schizophrenia or any mental illness of a family member.

Thanksgiving in USA. Glad to be free of alcohol this year and I'm going to have the first alcohol free thanksgiving in 20 years!!!!
            Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
            A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone,

Checking in after a long day. Thank you all for your support to me and AF - it was a deep "conversation" we had last night, and I'm the better for it. Someone posted that I need community help - you are so right. And I can do better at getting that arrange. My ex does a good job getting his needs met, but there are some big areas I am still responsible for. It struck me tonight how much bullshit it is that his family helps not at all. But that stems from the original trauma. His mother and sister wanted to let him die - I had to fight to get a feeding tube put in. So now, both have said "he is your responsibility. Now he is a long way from that terrible time, and his needs are now more re transportation, bill paying, money management, errands. But the sentiment remains. Sad for them.

It's a bit scary to hear how much pressure our oldies are going through. Byrdie, I'm so sorry your relatives are nuts. Your brother dropped the ball, for sure. Hope Chi was okay in the car; King Charlie gets sick. Funny story. KC refuses to go poop outside when it rains. This morning, I took her out in her raincoat, carried her to the grass, and held an umbrella over her. Yes, I know this is ridiculous. Tonight, she was pacing around the carpet in front of me, then started to squat down. OH NO YOU DON"T. Picked her up, next trip outside while it is dumping rain, some pee, no poop. So she has got to be pretty uncomfortable by now. I carry her in, she manages to projectile poop once we're in the doorway; immediately she goes into her kennel. She's been growling from there ever since. I'm ignoring her. Yes, this is the cutie pie dog in the picture with my son. So begins our annual rainy season war.

I'm having a quiet Thanksgiving here; I'll check into MWO to lend support.

:l Cat
              "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Cat, that was me who mentioned the community support for you & your husband. It is a shame & a disgrace that his family chooses to be so selfish & useless. Reminds me of when I was caring for my parents. My three brothers never lifted a hand until it was time for me to write checks dividing the parents estate. My brothers are pretty much history to me.

I have a full day ahead so i'm going to pour myself another cup of coffee & get going.
                Sober Holidays Rock everyone....I promise

Have a great AF Wednesday!
                Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

quick check in! I'm sending lots of love and support to everyone this Thanksgiving week.

He never brought anything home last night - he must have gotten the message. I'm going to chalk it up to the fact that he had just gone to see the new Bond movie....so maybe was feeling like a martini. I guess we all know how THAT goes. stupid suggestions all around us.

Anyway...I had my moment - yesterday - I'm over it. It's gonna happen...gotta just get used to it, expect it and look at it and say WTF?

Byrdie, I hope you're doing ok....we're all there with you in spirit.

Gotta run!
                  ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nesters. I'm drinking coffee and just finished a double chocolate chip muffin for breakfast. I suppose I best stay away from the sugar free thread. I'm just not ready obviously. I'll have to push a little harder in my workout today. Not sure about an extra walk as it's so foggy outside right now, I'm not sure how the weather will pan out. They were off yesterday on the forecast, so I'm not so trusting today.

Slay, we did have to kick him out in the past, before he was diagnosed and we believed it was all related to drug abuse. At that time he still had a friend to take him in. There was also an attempt, later, to rent him a room, but that ended in disaster, as it was at that time, due to a major meltdown, that we started to realize that something was seriously, mentally wrong. He ended up on the street for a short time, freezing, hungry, totally delusional and unable to help himself. I can't tell you how heartbreaking that was.
                    I truly empathize with your heartbreak. As moms our hearts can easily be broken in two with our children's pain and suffering. I tried to get my daughter help several times when I was married to her father, but his religious beliefs were always in conflict with medical help, so it was an ongoing war. He, also, didn't want others hearing what had been going on. He wanted to keep his behavior hidden from the real world. After I left him, I tried as she became suicidal and he would make bargains with her to not get the treatment. IT WAS A NIGHTMARE! He even allowed her to get her tongue pierced against both our wills to keep things silent. Meanwhile, the problems continued and I fell apart dealing with it. Today, I have learned I must not neglect my own needs or the results are I fall apart and the drinking was one of the results. As Kuya says, we aren't superwomen even though we may sometimes appear to be or try to be. We have our limits.

Byrdie, I think every family is a bit crazy these days! :l Just love the fact that the husband didn't tell his wife. Maybe you should all go out to eat on his tab? I don't want to be in the room between them later. The sex nazi says, "no sex for YOU!" lol

Lola, sounds about normal. lol For the past two days, my husband has been telling me just don't drink during the week. If you just go out on Friday or Saturday or get hammered on special occasions like bombfires, events, etc. that's fine. I told him I don't think I would be able to control it after that. Those without the problem don't understand it so well. For them, it's easy. I'm trying to compare it to an addiction he has, but I think he may be thinking how my not drinking will effect our social life going forward.

Kuya, I hear ya! I'm working on me a lot these days. However, I know my drinking and resulting behavior has been a problem, so considering I am a different person without alcohol, it needs another chance. The latest issue is my daughter asking if we can get a bigger place and she can move in again. Really? Has that worked in the past? Do you ever follow through on your promises to me? She is living in a toxic environment and wants out, but she is soooooooooooo self absorbed, my heart may say yes, but my reasoned mind is saying, "ARE YOU CRAZY?" Back to the serenity prayer...I'm responsible for me. YOU are responsible for you. Ugh! Parenthood...a lifetime role that requires boundaries. Listening to your heart is often not the best issue. I don't care what those songs say. Hah!

Good work to you newbies on your first days. Those are tough ones both physically and mentally. Hang tough and you'll be so happy and proud you did.

Love,

Slay
                    Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

These signs, I came across during my walk, reminded me of AL...CAUTION!!!

Attached files [img]/converted_files/1988126=7162-attachment.jpg[/img] [img]/converted_files/1988126=7163-attachment.jpg[/img]
                      Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin, that is a calming sight. I LOVE nature. There is something it brings to my spirit that nothing else does.

This was in my news today.

Grand Canyon Flood Underway to Rebuild Beaches - Yahoo! News

I've wanted to take a 'trip', not a 30 day boat extravaganza, to the Grand Canyon. Hopefully before I get too old to really enjoy it.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Cat...Don't worry about me.. Thoughts are just thoughts! I am NOT going to act on them! It passes!
                          I forgot to mention that as soon as we got in our hotel room, the dog peed on the carpet....
                          This morning we got up and was getting ready when we realized they hadn't changed the clocks from Daylight saving time...so we have an hour to kill. Just when I made the crack about my family not wearing wrist watches!!!!!!!! KARMA!
                          I hope everyone has a happy day! Dig your heels in today and don't give in no matter what and no matter who!!! Hugs, Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Slaythefear;1414870 wrote: Fin, that is a calming sight. I LOVE nature. There is something it brings to my spirit that nothing else does.

This was in my news today.

Grand Canyon Flood Underway to Rebuild Beaches - Yahoo! News

I've wanted to take a 'trip', not a 30 day boat extravaganza, to the Grand Canyon. Hopefully before I get too old to really enjoy it.
                            Yeah, they're blowing it out. The flows will go up to around 40,000 CFS. When we run it next July the flows should flux between 8,000 to 16,000. It varies every day with releases so you have to time your runs on certain rapids.

I just put in the final order for my boat. She'll be called “Gray's Reef” in keeping with the tradition that these Briggs boats be named after some natural area negatively impacted by man. She'll be a 16.9' long and 48'' at the beam. She'll be a double-ender like the one in my avatar (pointed stern). She'll be done in March. Yahooooooo!

Happy Thanksgiving all. Much to be thankful for -- namely you all of recent months.

Be good,
                            -Fin
                            Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                            Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

hi all. last minute preps for thanksgiving. waiting for college boy who is stuck at airport to board his plane. what did they do before cell phones? I am sending someone else to go out to the airport to get him. And to do last minute shopping. Too many giant liquor stores en route. It is tough for me to hand over control as I love to the grocery store to double check and get exactly the right thing. But a sober mom and mac and cheese is better than a feast with a someone slurring as the turkey is carved.

RU leaving lovely NJ for the holidays Nurdl? Lucky you!

All the dog talk made me laugh as I call my dogs dumb and dumber.

Slay, I will keep those signs in my head the next few days.

Visiting family over the weekend. If you remember, I have a brother with terminal cancer. He is a great guy and it is really hard to see. Alcohol wont make it any easier and will make me feel like crap afterward.

Have a good day all!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Today's encouragement

The Power of Thoughts

Thoughts are powerful magic
                                Destruction in a moment's rage
                                A soft touch on someone's page
                                Hope swallowed from a future's day
                                Love extended through action's way
                                Misery shared with words of gloom
                                Caring exhibits made to groom
                                A fit thrown in broad daylight
                                A flashlight beaming in the darkest night
                                Suicide that takes a precious life
                                A piece of hope that eliminates strife
                                Negativity creates cold spite
                                Positivity brings sunlight
                                Thoughts are powerful magic

*Rule your mind or it will rule you.

Comment

Working...
                                X