Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Yoga, sorry to hear about your brother. My father died of cancer this year. He had only been diagnosed a few months previous. Didn't stand a chance, brain cancer.
    And you're right, alcohol didn't make it any easier.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone!

Well...I had an amazing, riveting, inspirational message all typed out and I was adding a cute attachment, and bam! it all disappeared. Okay so maybe it wasn't all that amazing after all. LOL

In a nutshell, I'm wishing you all strength over the next few days. I know it can be hard, but remember the best gift you can give your family is a sober YOU! I have been having those stinkin' drinkin' thoughts too...so I am vigilantly taking the Antabuse EVERY day...no "forgetting"!!

Stay strong and stick close to us...we can do this together.

Now for the cute attachment that that derailed me last time. lol Attached files [img]/converted_files/1988168=7166-attachment.jpg[/img]
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi friends,

I just want to check in and wish everyone well. Congratulations and good thoughts to anyone who is early on in their quit and about to face the holiday season head on. It really isn't hard if you have made a plan. You'll be so proud of yourself on Friday morning! This year, I am truly looking forward to the holidays in a way I never did when I was drinking. That is because I am AF, and that is the way my life wants to be lived now. Happy Thanksgiving, friends!
        "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
        AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

oh k9, that brought tears to my eyes....we are always talking about what our little girl's life was like before she came to us....and she is such a lovey, I can just imagine her laying there saying that....
          ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters...just popping in to say Happy Thanksgiving to all those that are in the US. I'll just reiterate what others have said...that an AF Thanksgiving is really worth it. 2 years ago I barely remember the dinner at all. Somewhere between putting the turkey in the oven, and waking up the next morning, I went on blackout autopilot. I sure hope the turkey was cooked through! :H Apparently everyone survived.

Last year was my first sober Thanksgiving, and how rewarding it was. Unfortunately after Thanksgiving I started allowing myself bits of wine here and there for "special occasions" like trimming the Christmas tree, etc. It all seemed controlled and innocent, until I swigged vodka out of my parents' pantry (or was it gin?) at Christmas. Nearly got caught too. The slide started big time until mid January when my brother busted me over the phone and I lied to him. Haven't had a drop since.

I guess I am posting this to remind myself what a little innocent drinking can do. And to bolster my plan to keep AF in this "festive" and stressful season. Best wishes to all of you to get through this Holiday Season as the best you can be.

:h
            BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Belle & everyone,

I don't think there is such a thing as 'innocent drinking' for the majority of us Belle.
              Let's all plan to ride out the entire holiday season AF with our heads held high & great memories
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

lolab;1414998 wrote: oh k9, that brought tears to my eyes....we are always talking about what our little girl's life was like before she came to us....and she is such a lovey, I can just imagine her laying there saying that....
                Same here Lola! I have many pictures of my little gal laying in that exact position. At least I hope she's saying that and not "How the hell did I end up here?" LOL :H
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Belle: thanks for the warning. I plan to have the first AF thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years in 20 years!!!
                  I found a receipt in my car buying 3 bottles of wine from 7/ 11 in July 2012!!!! Glad those days are over.... I hope! I want to continue to read cautionary tales from this site so to prevent from sliding. I have stopped taking kudzu and haven't noticed much return in cravings. I think I may reduce l glutamine slowly just to see. Gosh, i have not bought wine personally for almost 2 months!!! . I'm so very happy!
                  Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                  A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Can I just ask what vitamins and supplements any of ye are taking and how you find them? Have any been particularly useful? I'm not on anything at the moment but today found my energy levels drop big time (possibly due to lack of sleep the past week too)

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Moni- I am traveling but just noticed you have 7 days! Congratulations!!! I am unable to add smileys from my phone, but will give you a proper mooning as soon as I able to. Until then, please know how proud we are of your monumental achievement!
                      :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nesters, all sounding good this morning.

I have some bug so in bed feeling sorry for myself.

Slay, I know you would want to help your daughter but you know where it goes. I have sometimes felt, in the past when I have tried to clean up my act that my ex deliberately created problems to disturb me and prevent me trying or cause me to slip. The same with my middle child.....it may be subconscious but......

The wonder of the openness we are having here is that it allows us all to see that we ALL suffer problems, ALL have coping mechanisms of which we have previously been ashamed. And by the example of the longer time abstainant, we can ALL get and stay sober.

I am not an American but we should ALL be giving thanks for this community.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Starfish while you are away......

..IN RECOGNITION OF SEVEN LONG AND BRAVE DAYS, WE AWARD YOU, MONI THIS COVERTED AWARD! :moon:

Comment

Newbies Nest

moni;1415067 wrote: Can I just ask what vitamins and supplements any of ye are taking and how you find them? Have any been particularly useful? I'm not on anything at the moment but today found my energy levels drop big time (possibly due to lack of sleep the past week too)
                            Most people take milk thistle and VIt b to support the liver, Glutamine and kudzu to reduce cravings, various remedies to help with sleep ( 5http, valerian , trytophan, melatonin) fatigue and sleeplessness are the big problems......they pass off slowly

Go to the holistic healing section for more info on supplements......I have taken a variety to get me through but it depends on your symptoms and needs.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kuya - thanks for that info.

And thanks for the moon!

Just got the results back of my first assignment in Uni (I'm back part-time as mature student). I submitted it the other night under immense pressure as I'd been in hospital for 3 days.
                              I did really well. 69% and a raving report. This week is looking up already!

Comment

Newbies Nest

moni;1415113 wrote: Kuya - thanks for that info.

And thanks for the moon!

Just got the results back of my first assignment in Uni (I'm back part-time as mature student). I submitted it the other night under immense pressure as I'd been in hospital for 3 days.
                                I did really well. 69% and a raving report. This week is looking up already!
                                Awesome......and in your first week. Imagine how much you will achieve when fully recovered .... Keep trucking

Comment

Working...
                                X