Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

I have not, but will look it up. Thank you. Sadly, I just figured out how to find the most recent posts (I think). You have to go to the "last page", I guess? Sorry to be asking tech questions when I have bigger problems, but I suppose I can't benefit from the dialogue and support if I can't find it, eh?

Seven weeks to sobriety sounds pretty good. At this point, I can't imagine ever being able to stop this stinking habit. I suppose that is negative self talk, but I have failed over and over and over again - though on some level too, I have never really tried or been fully committed.

Who knows. I am tired, but can't sleep (I know this is caused by alcohol! I fall asleep for abut 3 hours, then I am awake for 4+, then I get so sleepy. By then it is morning and I usually have to get up).

Anyway, thank you for your prompt reply and the book recommendation. I am really looking forward to connecting with folks here and hope, at some point, I can even be a help to others.

Comment

Newbies Nest

kuya;1417298 wrote: Oh Quest..... Your dream is a doozy. YOU are the premature baby! The adult you is trying to care for the new you which your subconscious knows is not quite ready (at term). This is why you keep slipping. The premature, sober, you is kissing ( thanking) you for allowing it to be born and for caring for it.

Wow, girlfriend, you are now READY for this !
      Goosebump moment
      Trying again from 22nd September 2014 Keeping it simple. Keeping it real.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all,

Today is my 10th day AF. Double figures. I've never gotten anywhere near double figures of sobriety before.

However, when I reached a week AF the other day, I was feeling elated, strong and hopeful. Not so much today. The happy vibe seems to be diminishing and the stress and anxiety is starting to creep back in and pushing me down a bit. Trying my best to divert these thoughts, but I'm not feeling so optimistic about an AF future now as thoughts of alcohol keep sneaking in and my daft head keeps telling me how good it would be to have even 1 glass of vino then I become fixated on that thought, obsessing over it, craving...

After feeling so bright and happy, the way I'm feeling now is a bit of an anti-climax as if I've crash landed with a bang. But, I'm gonna try n focus on getting through it without lifting a drink.

Been reading lots in the Toolbox thread which has been given me tips, have ordered the Seven Weeks to Sobriety Book, have been taking various vitamins and am going to my 2nd AA meeting tonight . Figured I'll try various things to find the right balance for what'll work for me in keeping me sober. Hopefully things start to look brighter again.

xxxx

Comment

Newbies Nest

JJ - congrats on double digits! Fantastic job.

Embracingit - well, you asked for it. You've got a whole team of cheerleaders here! We will share what works for us, and help you try to figure out what works for you. Don't worry too much about the picture to go with your name yet - there's plenty of time for that...(or someone else will tell you the details - LOL!) Visit the toolbox : https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html - it's important to come up with a plan to succeed...At first this involves figuring out diversions just to get through the day....later it moves on to how to deal with unavoidable temptations - there are so many things we can prepare ourselves for. This is possible. I'm 48 - and a year and a half ago, was drinking pretty much 24/7. I was in a hole that I couldn't figure out how to climb out of....and couldn't see the light of day. I no longer live with the guilt of wasting my life away - just sitting in that hole drinking.

Read around a bit - you'll figure out the site soon - and in the mean time, keep posting, and sharing and asking for help, OK?:l
          ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Raining over my portion of the nest, better than the snow that was predicted!

Hello & welcome Embracingit!
            Make yourself comfortable, lots of room here
            Be sure to visit the Health store here on the site & download the MWO book. It's full of good info for you.

JJ, CONGRATS on your 10 days AF :yay:
            Focus on gratitude now - it helped me so much, still does!
            That 1 glass of wine you mentioned will do nothing positive for you but it would awaken the AL beast. You really don't want to go there, do you?

I have a full day of watching my grandsons today so I will be busy!!
            Wishing everyone a terrific AF Tuesday.
            Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1417684 wrote:
              JJ, CONGRATS on your 10 days AF :yay:
              Focus on gratitude now - it helped me so much, still does!
              That 1 glass of wine you mentioned will do nothing positive for you but it would awaken the AL beast. You really don't want to go there, do you?
              Thanks. Yip, I know that the 1 vino will awaken the AL beast (good way to put it!), my head keeps trying to convince me otherwise though, grrr.

I'm sure I'll be fine tho. Heading to a fitness class straight from work and then over to my 2nd AA meeting. Not sure if I'll stick with AA in the longer term, but the 1st meeting seemed to help, so hoping this one will too.

Have a good day all xxx

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cat, your post touched me very deeply. To think of the time I've wasted being glossed over. It's a crime, really. But I can't proceed to the future carrying the burdens of the past. Today is the day I am concerned with, and I'm going to make every minute (84,600, is that right Slay?) count! I am so happy that you are here with us now and finding your way out. This place sure saved me...

Embracing it, so glad you found us. Like Kuya said, being around like-minded people is just what the Dr. ordered. WE KNOW what The Voices are saying and how they want to drag you back to the pit. We know that when we promise to 'be good' that it's a losing proposition. When I hear that one of us is 'doing better about his/her drinking' that tells me one thing... he/she is still drinking. We have a disease and thank goodness there is a cure. You wouldn't believe how many of us fight that cure. We deny that it even exists! We don't believe it!! Anything on Earth but THAT! The cure for our disease is to stop drinking. NONE. This does seem impossible at first, that's just what I thought almost 2 years ago. How can I get thru one night without drinking, let alone 30 days, or a lifetime??? You approach it as if you were eating an elephant...one bite at a time. I believe this so much I put it in my byline below. All I have to worry about is this day, and I can do that. If Oprah offered you $350,000 to stay sober tonight could you do it? You dang Skippy you could...unfortunately, she isn't giving money away to us right now, but if I could promise you self-esteem, a clearer head, a simpler life, and a big dash of HOPE, would that be worth it? That bottle equals DISPAIR. It is simple, but it's not easy. Is it worth it? Absolutely or none of us would be able to do it!! Surround yourself with things you love to do and eat. Keep your belly FULL. I mean FULL! As if, 'I can't eat another bite' full. Stay well hydrated...distract yourself. When you get a thought, change it immediately...recite the Lord's Prayer, say the Pledge of Allegience....name off your cousins, do whatever you have to do to get that thought out of there. Thoughts lead to actions. Do not allow that thought to take root and grow. Whatever it takes get thru the evening even if you have to go to bed at 8 o'clock. With Day 1 down, rinse and repeat. Like Kuya, I have been a heavy drinker for 25 years, if I can do it, I know you can, too! Stay close to us here...we can get you thru the 15 minutes. We understand the struggle that is going on inside your head.

Jingle....your emotions will be all over the place for the next couple weeks, but if you are having a bad day today, I will bet my lunch money you'll have a good day tomorrow. You will never have 2 bad days in a row! Get yourself to Day 13, that's the day that clicked in my head that this was something I really COULD do! It was a game changer for me...hang in and see if for yourself!
                Kuya, yes, I promise the indifference to AL will come. I HATE it, too, and that's a good thing. I hate it as I would hate vemon from a rattlesnake. It IS out to get me. One bite it all it takes, too. Don't fall for it, ever. It IS a trap! Indifference is a great place to be and I think I finally got it at around 9 months...I know that's a long time, but trust me it is worth it. I look at AL as just something that other people use. When I see an ad on TV, I think, gosh, I bet that bottle cost $25-30 bucks! It is a 'thing' to me, not an obsession, thank goodness.

Lola, I hope you don't kick my arse with all your muscles...

Everyone is sounding great! Stay the course and you will never regret it! The holidays of 2012 will be spent sober and full of hope!! Hugs, Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1417697 wrote:
                  Jingle....your emotions will be all over the place for the next couple weeks, but if you are having a bad day today, I will bet my lunch money you'll have a good day tomorrow. You will never have 2 bad days in a row! Get yourself to Day 13, that's the day that clicked in my head that this was something I really COULD do! It was a game changer for me...hang in and see if for yourself!
                  Thanks - I'm hopeful for a better day tomorrow Think today's low mood and obsessive thoughts about alcohol caught me out after having what seemed to be a good few days feeling upbeat and happy. I guess I'm gonna have to expect a few ups and downs and be prepared for them x

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Dear Friends :l

So glad everyone is doing so well and working to stay so positive. I am battling a stomach virus this morning so this will prolly be a lame post, but just wanted to fly in and say hello

Welcome, Embracing it, we are so happy to have you here with us, and welcome back, Jenniech- we missed you!

Kuya- I LOVE the dream interpretations. This is very interesting. Several weeks back, I kept dreaming about having babies. I am not sure exactly, but this may have been when I first quit drinking. I could not figure out why I was doing this, but now I know- thanks to you! I am going to try to remember more of my dreams and let you interpret them, this is great! Also, your post in which you said "If this helps even one of you, this waste of a life will have been worth it" brought tears to my eyes. I have been struggling very much with feelings of guilt and worthlessness over the past few weeks. I hate to even mention it in the nest because I am so thankful for my sobriety and have many reasons to feel happy, but just can't shake the guilt.

Cat- you are doing GREAT with your attention to your son. I so wish that I had been able to quit drinking when my children were younger. The fact that I could not haunts me. You are a great mom!

Slay, thanks for all your positive posts- I get some help from them everyday.

Jingle- congrats on 10 days! Like Byrdie says, for the first couple of weeks, your emotions will be all over the place. You are nearing the magical day 13, when, for many folks, things turn around and you realize you really can kick the beast for good!

Dear Byrdie- Thanks so much for my TWO HATS. They made me smile. I am wearing both of them today and standing extra tall

Lolab, Allan and Fin- y'all rock with your fitness talk! My daughter has the P90x video and I am telling you what- that looks near impossible to me- you youngsters just go for it and I'll have to yell "Uncle" on that and just try to start walking a little bit here and there.

Hugs to Alley, Dottie, Moni, Lav, Hitting, Mick and Questy

Hope everyone has an awesome day:l

:h Star
                    :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

LOL, Byrdie and I cross posted to Jingle about those emotions being all over the place-

I told you Byrdie would say that, Jingle!
                      :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters and a special welcome to JingleJo and EmbracingIt!

We are so glad you've found us. As you've noticed, the nest "moms" have already given you great advice, so I just wanted to jump in and let you know I am here to support you too!! My internet was down all day yesterday so I'm sorry to be late to the party. Please stick around and keep reading and posting. You'll find that no matter what you've been through or are feeling, there is someone here who can totally relate.

I hope everyone has a great day...I've got a lot of catching up to do!

xoxoxoxo
                        K9
                        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Today's encouragement

Morning Nesters.

Scars don't heal when you keep cutting. (guilt)
                          - Me

?I don't know if I continue, even today, always liking myself. But what I learned to do many years ago was to forgive myself. It is very important for every human being to forgive herself or himself because if you live, you will make mistakes- it is inevitable. But once you do and you see the mistake, then you forgive yourself and say, 'well, if I'd known better I'd have done better,' that's all. So you say to people who you think you may have injured, 'I'm sorry,' and then you say to yourself, 'I'm sorry.' If we all hold on to the mistake, we can't see our own glory in the mirror because we have the mistake between our faces and the mirror; we can't see what we're capable of being. You can ask forgiveness of others, but in the end the real forgiveness is in one's own self. I think that young men and women are so caught by the way they see themselves. Now mind you. When a larger society sees them as unattractive, as threats, as too black or too white or too poor or too fat or too thin or too sexual or too asexual, that's rough. But you can overcome that. The real difficulty is to overcome how you think about yourself. If we don't have that we never grow, we never learn, and sure as hell we should never teach.?

Maya Angelou

You can't start the next chapter of your new life if you keep re-reading the last one!

If you don?t rid your life of the things that impact you negatively,
                          how will you make room for the good things to come?

Forgive yourself: 6 Things You Should Forgive Yourself For | Purpose Fairy

Love,

Slay
                          :l
                          Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

New here.

Hi!

I'm new here. I finished detox about a month ago. It's been really hard but I'm beginning to see the light!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Embracingit, I too have sensitivities to perfumes and chemicals. This is a great place to get support, advice and tools to accomplish a plan for a better life. In no time at all you'll figure out the tech. side of working these boards. If you get lost, just ask.

Jennitech, as you know many here fall, so don't feel embarrassed or out of place. It helps us all to know we are not alone in our struggles to improve our lives and weed out the nasty things that destroy it.

Kuya, I took a quick look at the book you recommended. Joan has one on depression free naturally as well. I'm going to do some additional and current research around the concepts and possibly purchase the book/books. I do think I need some nutritional help and a plan more specific to my needs. I want to work on my health issues by the new year regarding my depression and anxiety and medications a I take. I will start with research on nutritional needs. Thanks for mentioning the book. I think you have before, but I didn't pay much attention. The timing wasn't right until today. Those repeated messages fall on one's ears when they are ready. TY, love. It's not a new area for me, but I do need some refresher research and a more pointed approach to today's issues. I feel these mental issues are keeping me from fully reaching complete abstinence/sobriety. We need our minds to work properly.

Byrdie...great post as always!!!!

:l:h
                              Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome Kimberly!!

You're in a great place. Congratulations on getting through detox. It will get easier, I promise! Stick close to us. You CAN do this, and we can help!

K9
                                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
                                X