Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi, Billy, Welcome!!!! I hope you find helpful ways to get off of alcohol. I drank for 20 years and now at age 40, I wanted to quit but didn't know how until I started on the supplements and they have made all the difference in the world. Good luck!
    Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
    A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nest! I am a newbie. I haven't read the book yet but it is ordered and I've spent a few hours today going through the website and looking up the supplements and meds etc. I am hopeful. Talk to you soon.
      :earth: Tree23

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello, tree! Good to see another newbie. There's definitely hope!
        Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

Newbies Nest

Post #1. Here goes nothing. I've drank everyday for 18 years, Minus maybe 40 days mixed in randomly. Went 11 days in a row once, 9 days another time, the rest were 1 and two day stints. I know I need some serious help which is how I found MYO. Been browsing through the threads and decided to dip my toe in the pool. It is amazing how so "alike" we all are and you all have provided a sliver of hope to kick it.

Like all of you I have a complicated story and "reasons" for drinking and will share as I get acclimated to this wonderful site. I look forward to the family like feel here as I am afraid to talk with my real life family. They all know of course my problem with alcohol, but my abuse flies under the radar.

I have so much to live for, a 15 year old son, a wonderful girlfriend, great family (minus communication regarding my alcohol disease), and a chance to salvage my business that went down the tubes.

There we go, "pat self on back", post #1.

Billy

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Billy and Tree, nice to have you here --- this place works!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome new nesters. I wanted to share with you what I love about the nest.

Top ten reason why I love the nest: :welcome:

10. They are here 24 hrs for me to type what I am thinking.
              9. Everyone here is going through the same thing wheather they are on day 1 or year 2.
              8. I can post with or without pants! :shocked:
              7. I can be truthful because I am not going to run into to someone tomorrow and have to feel embarrassed or weird around them because of what I told them. :blush:
              6. I can get out what I have to say without being interrupted.
              5. No judging!!!!
              4. Noone looks at you funny when you tell them that you have an Amaryllis Sober Buddy named Stella. :what?:
              3.Captive audience. (That could have been # 1 but I am saving that spot)
              2. All the success stories are very motivating and comforting. I can do this!
              And the #1 reason I love this place...........

1. THEY HAVE THE BEST SMILEYS :banana::bananacomputer:

Enjoy and keep checking in, especially the first couple weeks.

From Nanette and Stella.
              AF Since 11/02/12 :wings::bananacomputer::lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

to reiterate what Nanette said..... keep checking in and posting. writing it down does so much more than thinking about it. plus you have a record for the future.

you can be more open here than you have probably ever been in your life. this is so cathartic and heals.

also if you are feeling tetchy and peed off we have a FUCK IT thread to vent on.....always great to let it rip sometimes

Comment

Newbies Nest

Billy and Tree, welcome! You have landed in the best possible spot if you are serious about getting this monkey off your back. We have all been where you are, and we all started with Day 1. If you haven't yet, please visit the Tool Box, there's a link in my signature line below, there are 100's of tips and coping skills to help you get thru the very challenging first few days and hours. Surround yourself with things you love to eat and enjoy doing. Keep hydrated. Distract yourself, distract yourseld, distract yourself. Go to bed early if need be....just do whatever it takes to get Day 1 down and dusted. We are so glad you found us...we have LOTS of success here! Welcome! Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome Billy and Tree. Good to see you here. I can tell you that this place works if you stay close and get involved where and as much as it makes sense to you.

Me? Now back to practicing my mandolin without AL. What a miracle.
                    Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                    Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Such a BUSY day in the nest ~ great

Welcome to the newest newbies, please settle in & make yourselves comfortable.
                      It's hard to believe it's been almost 4 years since I found MWO & I'm still hanging around

MinStar, hello & congrats to you on your one year! Awesome!!!! So glad things have worked out for you.

A good plan & extreme self-care is what we need to succeed! Be a little selfish, focus on your quit & protect it at all costs, you'll never be sorry

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!
                      Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

nanette,
                        I never thought about posting without pants until now. There's is something new to think about here every day.
                        :notes:
                        we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Newbies Nest

Baby steps

Thank you to all who welcomed me to the Nest. The last few hours I had to try to stay away from the nest just to build anticipation to logging back on. I've been on many a message board in my trade, but never for this marathon I am scratching the surface on. I will for sure check out the "tool box" and hope to learn once I have time.

My first issue is sleep time. The few times I have stopped drinking I can't sleep. I've tried lifting weights, eating lots of carbs, eating right before trying to sleep, ect.... I'm afraid of sleeping pills as I feel i will get hooked on those as well. My Doc put me on anti depressant pills and that made it worse.

Next rookie question: Is "campral" the answer? It sounds to god to be true? I understand it comes down to "me" and commitment, but this drug sounds legit. Lack of sleep and the shakes lead me to quick fixes to avoid losing my job.

Sorry for being such a rookie at this.

Billy

Comment

Newbies Nest

billy_D;1418139 wrote: Thank you to all who welcomed me to the Nest. The last few hours I had to try to stay away from the nest just to build anticipation to logging back on. I've been on many a message board in my trade, but never for this marathon I am scratching the surface on. I will for sure check out the "tool box" and hope to learn once I have time.

My first issue is sleep time. The few times I have stopped drinking I can't sleep. I've tried lifting weights, eating lots of carbs, eating right before trying to sleep, ect.... I'm afraid of sleeping pills as I feel i will get hooked on those as well. My Doc put me on anti depressant pills and that made it worse.

Next rookie question: Is "campral" the answer? It sounds to god to be true? I understand it comes down to "me" and commitment, but this drug sounds legit. Lack of sleep and the shakes lead me to quick fixes to avoid losing my job.

Sorry for being such a rookie at this.

Billy
                            Hi again Billy, firstly everyone is a rookie once ..... Soon YOU will be advising rookies! :H

Insomnia is the primary cause of people slipping. There are many ways to deal with it. I used a mixture of trytophan and melatonin. Some use 5http and valerian, some Benadryl . But if you have nothing to hand remember this 3 hours sober sleep is worth 8 hours coma drunk sleep. I am only weeks sober and now use nothing and fall asleep easy ( provided I don't eat late) for the FIRST time in my life.

You will be a little tired but no where near as useless as you are hungover. DO NOT use this as an excuse. It IS annoying but it will pass.

As to other medications you can ask on the meds threads or post a search of the threads for discussions..

KY

I forgot to mention the end of my insomnia here cos it is like having a cold ..... One forgets to be grateful when it goes!

Also check out the nutrition link in my signature below. It will help you to understand and guide you with food choices

Comment

Newbies Nest

Billy:
                              Agree w Kuya about the sleep med recommendations. Also reading a BORING book in dim light is a great, natural way to fall asleep. Read any boring textbook puts me right to sleep.

Do you know where the search button is? Use it to look up campral. I used to think it wasn't that effective but some people here found it quite effective... Just not realizing that it helped until they stopped taking it. Read their experiences! That's what's great about this site! I've learned so much!
                              Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

Newbies Nest

Slaythefear;1418020 wrote: Evening all. Hang tough and don't forget to bring your bats or swords!

Kuya, I ordered the Depression Free Naturally book by Joan Larsen today. I bet it touches on self medicating with alcohol. Anyway, I just found the two books for review on google books if anyone wants to take a look at them. I haven't yet, as I just found them. Should have done this before I ordered the book. lol

Seven Weeks to Sobriety:

Seven Weeks to Sobriety: The Proven Program to Fight Alcoholism through ... - Joan Mathews Larsen - Google Books

Depression Free Naturally:

Depression-Free, Naturally: 7 Weeks to Eliminating Anxiety, Despair, Fatigue ... - Joan Mathews Larson - Google Books

Looks like I'll be getting my wallet back out soon. From what I hear in the reviews there are a ton of supplements and diet changes. I better go eat something sickening sweet before I read.
                                Okay, I'm crazy behind having travelled today, but Slay, I keep wanting to respond to your posts. I am on meds for depression, have been for years, and if there is a natural way to deal with this, I am all in! I just want to be very careful how I make changes, as going off the meds has been very dangerous in the past.

Please let me know, post about your journey, and I'll start researching with you.

Thanks, Slay!

Cat
                                "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Working...
                                X