Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Alcoholic;1418365 wrote: Slay:
    I'm in mental health business and yes, lots of self medicating going on. In fact, I'm pretty sure I'm a fellow self- medicater. I'm in denial of what my true mental illness is though (my husband thinks I have bipolar, he's probably right, but I'm not ready to admit to it yet!). I have no family hx of drug/alcohol addiction, but lot of anxiety in the family and many undiagnosed possible bipolars. My aunt could talk until you ripped your ears in front of her, my workaholic family: dad is 74 still working 6 days a week, lots of famous artists, architects in the family. And I go on huge spending sprees. Bought a 20,000 piano when I play at 2nd grade level.
    But anyway, instead of seeing a therapist, you may want to see a psychiatrist who can play around w your meds and find the best for you. Find a good one though. There are many crappy ones out there.
    Sorry I missed this, Allie. I don't always see everyone's posts, so when I miss something I hope no one takes it personally. It's just a time or attention issue.

Find a good one? lol I've seen some real bozos in the past. Much of the medical profession has turned into a three ring circus motivated by profit only and time is short. When I saw a doctor this week, she just handed me a sheet with all the psychologists listed from this center and said give them a call and see who you can see. There were about twenty of them on the list. lol In my area, it is hard to see a psychiatrist...limited availability I assume and they will only see you for initial diagnosis then pass you on to a psychologist. Everyone has problems today. The doctor said she would work with the psychologist and since I do so much of my own research, I figured I could live with that. (My regular doctor retired just like that. No longer available.) I, also, feel that if I see a psychologist, maybe they can arrange for a psychiatrist if the need arises. They don't dole out those cards easily around here. It's like an inefficient production line. It's not my first crazy go around with the medical establishment. I've learned to look out for myself by doing my homework. I will miss my doctor because he trusted my judgement and would do things to work with my research. Back to the drawing board for me.

In the past I saw one psychiatrist twice who I absolutely loved, but she had a family issue pop up and had to stop her practice and move. However, it was interesting to listen to her say it's like playing a little game with patients. We do a lot of practicing trying to figure out how to label a person for insurance, etc., but it's often about just finding what works for that patients symptoms. There is so much overlapping. Look at all the labels they have today for kids. I think insurance companies have ruined medicine. I often wish they would have been non profit organizations. I, also, think there are many many people with undiagnosed issues. They self medicate to cope. Many don't want the stigma of a diagnosis and others have other reasons.

Personal responsibility has never been so valuable!
    Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1418884 wrote: Wow, Slay...remarkable list. Thank you for posting that. We all do have commonalities. Each of those action items bleeds into the next, so great to see them all together. It is 90% of half a PLAN! (I am so screwed up with that saying, thanks, MOM).
      I've had several people comment to me about the vibe of the next at the moment...it IS a fantastic place...we really do have people at every stage of his/her quit. In 30 years, we will look back and say we all started around the same time!! It is a privilidge to be traveling with you all! B
      We're a rockin group! :l
      Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

Slay: couldn't agree w you more about the way medical profession has become... Sad! There are non profit organizations out there, just not many.
        Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
        A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you B, Kuya, Star, Fin and everyone on Newbies Nest.

I cant quiet believe that it has been 90 days. Today my predecessor had a leaving party. We went to a pub for drinks, followed by dinner in China Town and finally for Mojitos at a Salsa Bar. Had a great time, people thought that I was a bit coy for not dancing but I am happy to be thought as a bit coy than overly confident when I drank.

Overall great experience and also I have noticed that I kept count of every drink other people had. And a couple of them raked up a big number. I dont think anyone else noticed. Do any of you count the amount of drinks other people have when you are out?

AK
          AF since 1st Sep 2012
          NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

FOUR WEEKS :yay::wd::thumbs:

The time has flown! I feel very healthy and happy. I also feel very proud.

Stella wants me to give a shout out to Stella(Chook). Haven't heard much about her lately. How is she? :chick::egg:

Well that is it for now.

Have a good morning, afternoon or night depending on where you are on this planet of ours.
            AF Since 11/02/12 :wings::bananacomputer::lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wait hold the applause. Today is only Thursday. Tomorrow will be four weeks. Oh well close enough?
              AF Since 11/02/12 :wings::bananacomputer::lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nanette, pride is an awesome feeling. I have experienced it for the first time in many many years just after 30 days sober.

Well Done!

AK
                AF since 1st Sep 2012
                NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nanette. I will start "warming up" for tomorrow's applause right now! Great job, lil lady!
                  :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

After breezing through 30 days without a hint of a craving I now have been hit twice with cravings.

Watching The Real Housewife's of New York City doesn't help where every scene seems to have a glass of champagne in it - in fact I think that's what triggered it but I watched that all during the 30 days too!!!!

For me the more days I tot up the more I forget the pain - I must be more diligent each day in immersing myself in the misery of remembering where I was and thanking god for where I am now!!!!
                    Honour Thyself

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good for you, Nanette!!
                      Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
                      A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Emily. I think it's normal for us to still have cravings for a WHILE after the 30 days. You are lucky that your first 30 days went by so easily. I still have cravings when I see others drinking ( like on TV) or even listen to stories about it. I just try to limit those opportunities. You are correct in thinking about realizing how much better your sober life is trying not to forget all the rotten parts about drinkIng. Also be sure and be mindful of triggers such as hunger, anger, loneliness, boredom or just being tired.
                        You are doing great, Emily! Keep up the good work!
                        :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

allankay;1419079 wrote: Thank you B, Kuya, Star, Fin and everyone on Newbies Nest.

I cant quiet believe that it has been 90 days. Today my predecessor had a leaving party. We went to a pub for drinks, followed by dinner in China Town and finally for Mojitos at a Salsa Bar. Had a great time, people thought that I was a bit coy for not dancing but I am happy to be thought as a bit coy than overly confident when I drank.

Overall great experience and also I have noticed that I kept count of every drink other people had. And a couple of them raked up a big number. I dont think anyone else noticed. Do any of you count the amount of drinks other people have when you are out?

AK
                          What I notice is people find it harder to stay 'merry' and the slide to morose is pretty fast! This is when I say nunights

I dance sober, not a great sight in either condition :H:H

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nanette and Star...... I look at those peeps on TV and in my mind now they are mainlining heroin. If you can alter the way you perceive it you really won't want it.

If your kid picked up a miniature bottle of vodka and was glugging it back how quickly would you sprint across the room to grab it out of their hands?

Now ask yourself why?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Allan, I am also the AL-Police. I keep track of how many people are drinking. Are the light wieghts finishing theirs? Are the heavys drinking as much as I did? Yes, I do it too....just to compare everyone to what I was doing. I haven't found any one yet who has outdone my track record....unless they are hiding it too...like I did. B
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

CONGRATS to Allan, Nanette & everyone else celebrating milestones today
                                This journey may seem a bit tough at times but when you consider where we would be if we hadn't quit - Oy!

Emily, you mentioned needing to immerse yourself in the misery of remembering drinking - I don't do that because it seems like self-abuse. I focus on all of the positives, all I have gained since I quit Develop an attitude of gratitude, forget beating yourself up every day!

Allan, since I quit I've noticed that the people around me drink a whole lot less than they used to drink. I think I have unknowingly influenced my family - go figure

Wishing everyone a safe & warm night in the nest - very chilly here. Nanette, Stella is fine but I'm not getting many eggs since the weather turned cold - guess they need their energy to stay warm.

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X