Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Milly, reading and posting are a couple of the best things to do. The soul searching is good too, but please don't beat yourself up too badly. When you spend time with us, you will realize that we are all a lot like you- yes, we have problems with Alcohol, but we are still good people- just like you!

Baking Christmas cookies and getting inspiration from your daughter sounds like a great plan for the day. Take care of your back!

Try, just for today, if need be, to think happy, positive thoughts. Get in the Christmas Spirit, and try to enjoy the time with your daughter- baking, visiting and having fun. Enjoy smelling the cookies, eating the cookies, feeling the warmth of your kitchen and of your daughter's company. Make some yummy warm drink like cocoa or cider, listen to Christmas music, do anything to make it a great day and before you know it, you will be on day 3!

XOXO Star
    :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Afternoon all,
      Friday is half way over....hate to look at days that way but it helps me get to the weekend....
      Going to dads this weekend to look for some paperwork...No clue where to look but we need to find it or I will have to request replacements.
      I am reading and posting here so I feel pretty good..not perfect but good...
      Gym was great yesterday and I have booked it on my calendar for the rest of the year.....
      Glad u all are here.
      Dottie
      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

What is pushing me to stop

Hello all. I appreciate all your posts and sharing your challenges, endeavors, encouragement and humor! Today is day 4 of another attempt to stop drinking my daily 1/2 - 1 bottle of wine. It's very difficult because I live in france and good food and wine is such an important part of our lives. My husband drinks a bottle with every dinner and when I so bravely try to stop he doesn't accompany me... until this time! Now we are drinking milk-thistle infusion with our dinner. Last night I surely would have failed if he were not there to prevent me.
        What is pushing me to stop are a several things...
        1- After doing some blood tests, my doctor very diplomatically suggested that I cut my wine intake by half (liver). I've been drinking since some 30 years, and seem to be unable to do that!
        2- Our lives are falling apart financially and the challenges ahead are so daunting I'm sure we'll have a better chance at fixing things if we are more clear headed.
        3- I'm ashamed of myself for having become so dependent on AL.
        4- I'm hoping my health will improve and will feel more positive and energetique.

I'm taking lots of supplements... Vit C, B, D, selenium, L-glut, lysine, epsom salt baths, sleeping tea, etc.
        It's 6pm and getting close to that really difficult urge-hour so I just took 2 kudzu's.
        I can't wait until this becomes easier, it takes so much effort and concentration!

Andrew, courage... I know you can do it!
        Milly, I'm looking forward to counting the AF days with you, we're at about the same point and can do this together!
        Starfish, Nurdl, Alcoholic, Kuya, JingleJo, CatBuddy, SlayTheFear, AllanKay, and all the rest of you, have given me so much inspiration.

Lavande, Birdlady, Lolab, thank you so much for the encouragement and support (I miss K9) !
        Go as far as you can see.
        When you get there, you'll see further.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mywayin:
          What a great name. Seems like you know people here already. The supplements really help me. I have determined so far that the l glut reduces my cravings within 15 minutes, also helps me concentrate much better, and while taking kudzu, I can't drink too much on it.

Packing to go to Vegas tonight. In the past I would have packed wine plus wine opener, but this time I'm packing kudzu and l glut and water to mix the glut in!!!
          Alcoholic (or Ally)

"Only a fool knows everything.
          A wise man knows how little he knows."

Please feel free to block/ignore my posts through your control panel.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome Milly. Pull up a seat. Together we're gettin' this done...

Friday is Avatar change - this new one is Martin Litton rowing the Grand at age 86! If that isn't inspiration enough not to drink, I donno what is. Anyway, Martin is a legend in the American Southwest for his conservation efforts.

Be good this weekend,
            -Fin
            Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
            Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin: at 86, I want to be sitting in a rocking chair, not doing that! . That looks pretty dangerous especially for a non swimmer like me.
              Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

Newbies Nest

I know, can you believe it? 86?! What a stud. It looks more dangerous than it is...especially when considering the number of people who successfully navigate the route. For example, there are over 30,000 people / year floating the canyon. It's rather insane. They allow 4 expeditions / day to launch. It's managed pretty well as there's little overlap with other groups keeping the feel very much wild.
                Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh My Gosh, Fin. Your Avatar is as scary to me as trying to "stare down" a bottle of vodka! I would not attempt either one! You and Andrew are Strong Men! Carry on!

:h Star

And Welcome, MyWay :l We are so happy to have you here. As difficult as it seems now, you will be greatly rewarded both in your health and in your bank account for giving up the nightly wine. Since I quit drinking (61 days ago)- I estimate that I have saved $300!!! And that's being conservative. I was able to pay for several Christmas presents with that money rather than have to charge them. Stick close. We will help each other!

:h Star

08-13-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

And I miss K9 too! Where is she??

08-13-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Andrew,

Got to point this out but you seem determined to stop drinking as fast as you can, that's dangerous as I did it and had a fit which would be ok but I crushed 2 vertebra.

Just cut back moderately 10% a week, you work out the maths,:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob: and it's easy.

Keep it up as you're life is going to be so much nicer.
                      It's not what you drink, it's how much!

Comment

Newbies Nest

welcome milly and mywayin! settle in - I believe we're pulling some out of lurkdom. ::l

Mywayin, I can see how much thought you have given this - from reading your post. And having tried BOTH ways, I can tell you how much easier it is (as you know!) having your partner on board. I'm a little worried lately about "keeping" mine there - but I do know that if all else fails I'll come completely clean with him (hasn't been necessary yet-I think he knows but it's never been 'discussed') and I'm sure he will go along with whatever I need.

It does get easier - I can remember those first few days/ or weeks when I was just completely on EDGE....just counting the minutes until I could go to bed and check another day off. Now my days fly by and I never ever have enough time to do all the things I want to do.
                        ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kudzu+AL ?

Alcohol, you mentioned not being able to drink as much when you take kudzu and I was wondering what that does because it has happenned that I took 2 kudzu, with good intentions, and ended up drinking the usual amount of wine. Is there some interaction with alcohol? Well, I mean kudzu + alcohol + Alcohol ...?
                          :thanks:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi MyWay-

Different people have different successes with the Kudzu. Many people find that they don't want to drink as much when using the Kudzu. Personally, I could drink just as much when I took it. It never helped me. I think the best thing to do is just experiment with what works best for you. Many people on these threads use many different supplements (like Kudzu and l glutamine) and many of them have good luck with them. Hope you find something that is helpful. Have you read the My Way Out book. There are suggestions about which supplements to try and in which amounts.

08-13-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mywayin:

My personal experience is that I physically don't want more, And if I drink too much, my body gets sick: heart beating faster, just uncomfortable, not vomiting sick. I read somewhere (this is from my memory so don't quote me) that when you drink alcohol w kudzu, the amount of aldehyde (a chemical related to alcohol metabolism) builds up and I think the high aldehyde level is what makes me feel physically uncomfortable. Hope that helps.
                              Alcoholic (or Ally)

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lurkdom

[QUOTE=lolab;1419537 I believe we're pulling some out of lurkdom. :
                                Yes Lolab, I often "lurk" around getting inspiration and courage from all the posts. I eventually felt very guilty to always be taking and decided it was time to join in and participate.

Comment

Working...
                                X