Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

What a lively place the nest is today!

It is so strange being in NZ, with the time difference, I feel like the night watchman. I always log in at bedtime and catch up on posts. It is quiet and sometimes I really want some company. What I have found, over time, is I often am the first to greet new folk who later come into the nest (Andrew) and feel like that greeting may stop them losing heart and leaving.
    I remember my first posts on MWO went unnoticed and I was very disheartened ....... So if you ever see a new thread with a new person ......say Hi.....one line of welcome may save their lives.

Anyway welcome to Myway and Millie. You are in the best place. The nest is the place where people try to get a good solid amount of alcohol free time to get their heads straight and bodies well again.

My way ...... There is no drug or supplement known to mankind that will stop you drinking alcohol apart from Antabuse which will make you very ill if you drink. Kudzu and Glutamine WILL reduce the cravings but they won't stop you drinking.....I know, I tried!
    You have come here to quit alcohol, not reduce your intake, so take the bull by the horns and STOP !

The first week is hard, but not as hard as you fear. Once you finish it you will wonder why you delayed for so long.

Good luck.....we will all be here and pulling for you :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Starfish1;1419535 wrote: And I miss K9 too! Where is she??
      Me too. I hope she's okay. She has to be...right?
      Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
      Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Andrew_CN;1419332 wrote: ugh..made it to 645..then drank much more than I should have too quickly....sigh...the demons are hard to stare down..but at least I am getting out of the place now for dinner without AL, but I probably shouldn't have drunk so much so quickly after I made it past my deadline...Two steps forward, one step back..but it is still progress, so I remain resolute...just reinforces how much hold this poison has on us! Hope to make sure that when I get home after dinner, I will keep the intake to a minimum.

Hope and warm wishes to everyone on this Friday evening...and for the weekend as well!
        Hey Andrew, I played this game for awhile...pushing the time back before the fist pull. It exercises discipline which is what we need. Soon you'll have pushed back to a point where you can make it a full day / night. Once you have that one day under your belt, then you're on a whole new level with new rewards and sense of accomplishment. Anyhoo, I agree...take victory where you can get it and just keep plowing forward.
        Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
        Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day Two

Hello All.

Well, I made it through yesterday and it is 2:00 p.m. today I just had a craving and an automatic strong thought/plan to drink this evening. I have the booze and the free time to do it and it is what I "do" after all (and don't I deserve it after going, what 44 hours now, without a drink). Aren't we ridiculous.

Someone on here posted the quote - when you are hungry eat, when you are tired sleep. That has helped me some. I know I am tired today because I did not sleep well last night. And, I can't sleep yet because my young son is in my care (but, I can plan for cocktails this evening - again, ridiculous). Anyway, I figured I might be hungry now too, so I am putting food in. High protein. I thought about if first though, because I much prefer to drink on a very empty stomache.

MyWayIn - I was struck by your reasons for wanting to quit drinking. I too am facing TREMENDOUS financial challenges. While I own my own business and work fairly hard, 2012 had, as of two days ago, yielded on 25% of my average and needed business income. In short, no paycheck for me at all this year so far and one mortgage payment behind. This is because all number of deals just did not work out at the end. Not by anyone's fault. All normal things just all in a row and virtually every time this year. Yesterday, I did land a deal which is 99.9% final and which will bring my 2012 income up to 40% of what I need for 2012.

I find, at times, I am so panicked about finances that I cannot imagine not drinking. On the other hand, I know I need my wits about me and my nights to focus on work in order to stand the best chance of financial recovery.

I also put health on my list of reasons I would like to be a comfortable, happy non-drinker.

I am sorry I don't have much in the way of inspiration to offer (I am taking right now). I have very little (none) faith in myself at the moment.

It is nice to see other newbies and to hear the stories of folks who have made it past a week (I can't imagine!), month or year.

I am glad to have found this group and thank you to all who do share and/or offer advice.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Embracing and MyWay...you will find that keeping your belly FULL, I mean FULL those first 3 days will go a long way in helping you get over the worst of it. You know those times that you've said, 'I can't eat another bite!' ...that full! Your brain will be saying what the feck are you trying to do to us?? But that is ok! At least it won't be telling you to poison yourself! Go to bed early if you have to, whatever it takes to get thru this day. I believe that so much I put it in my signature line! We are so glad you've found us! None of us could have imagined one evening without AL, but look! It's being done all around! If I can do it, I know you can too!

Fin, I'm sure K9 is just fine, she was having some computer problems...She'll get in here as soon as she can...

Have a safe night in the nest everyone! Don't give in no matter what and no matter who! Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone. Just got home from Auntie duty. My husband's aunt that is but for some reason the "duty" part falls to me, not anyone in the rest of the family. Fortunately, she really is nice and I do have a good time with her I just lose a full day when she needs me.

Hi new people Embracing and MyWay. Make yourself known. Post post post. We all enjoy the distraction. Since this is the Newbies Nest I have to get this out of my system. I haven't been craving at all lately but after the long day, and just getting home after 6pm I am craving a drink. It would be really nice right now, in my mind that is, but I know that I can't stop with just one. So what do I want? A drink. Can't have it and I really don't want it, that's just my brain talking. I don't want tea or diet coke so I think I'm going to fix myself a tonic with a slice of lime. It will feel like I'm having something special and I can get my thought processes working in a different way.

First though... I'm going to go to the bathroom because Byrdie told me to. lol. Love you Byrdie. :flush:
              Who is on tonight? Keep me company!
              ~nurdl
              :notes:
              we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Newbies Nest

hey nurdl....I got called in....so I'm on duty for a while. ;-) hubby out of town, kid occupied with a sleepover....

so how's everybody doing tonight?
                ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

nurdl;1419693 wrote: Hi everyone. Just got home from Auntie duty. My husband's aunt that is but for some reason the "duty" part falls to me, not anyone in the rest of the family. Fortunately, she really is nice and I do have a good time with her I just lose a full day when she needs me.

Hi new people Embracing and MyWay. Make yourself known. Post post post. We all enjoy the distraction. Since this is the Newbies Nest I have to get this out of my system. I haven't been craving at all lately but after the long day, and just getting home after 6pm I am craving a drink. It would be really nice right now, in my mind that is, but I know that I can't stop with just one. So what do I want? A drink. Can't have it and I really don't want it, that's just my brain talking. I don't want tea or diet coke so I think I'm going to fix myself a tonic with a slice of lime. It will feel like I'm having something special and I can get my thought processes working in a different way.

First though... I'm going to go to the bathroom because Byrdie told me to. lol. Love you Byrdie. :flush:
                  Who is on tonight? Keep me company!
                  ~nurdl
                  Well nurdl we are both enjoying a tonic with a slice of lime together. I also have 4 ice cubes. Oh ya, spoiling myself tonight. Also because the tonic wasn't cold. I just shoveled snow for 45 mins. and I needed something to quench my thirst. I have 4 weeks today and I am very happy about that. I found that when I have a craving my tonic and lime helps. Also salty food helped me. Chips, yummy, mmmmmmmm. I will check in time to time tonight and see how you are doing.
                  AF Since 11/02/12 :wings::bananacomputer::lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Love you, too, Nurdl! Go eat something on the way to the loo! Hopefully, your craving has already passed!
                    Nanners, you rock! How's Stella? XXOO, B
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm doing great Nurdl & Lola

Hello & welcome EmbracingIt & MyWayIn!
                      Very happy to have you join us in the nest
                      We've proabbaly had hundreds of newbies here the past few years....the more the merrier!

Please be sure to download the MWO book from the health store here. It details all the aspects of the program. And of course look in the Tool box for lots of great ideas to help you make your very own plans for success! Get your 30 AF days in before you even consider moderation. You need that time to completely detox & make good clear-headed decisions. You also need that time to learn to be honest with yourselves. As I approached my 30 days I asked myself if I was ready for just 1 glass of wine ~ the answer was NO! 1 glass of wine would never make me happy but it would wake up the beast & I will not go there again

Just found out I am watching my grandsons ALL day tomorrow. Guess I better prepare myself & my house because once they are here all bets are off :H

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the Nest!
                      Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all, and welcome Andrew, Mywayin and Embrace,

Back from my business trip. So glad to be home and in my own bed (even though it is 4:00pm here). Pressure fest of business dinners centered on food and AL. I'm glad it's
                        over, and to share for others, now it feels like a necessary first, but that it won't be so bad next time.

Lola, Nurdl, I'll keep you company on this cold and windy night. Brrrrr.

Cat
                        "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

well, Friday night - the gang's all here...looks like we're having a party in the nest!

:disco:

hurry up - let's have fun! Lately I'm good til about maybe 9 PM???:H:H:H
                          ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Comment

Newbies Nest

hey cat, isn't it funny how ridiculously good your bed can feel nowadays? Glad you're home....snuggle in. You can DJ if your'e too tired to dance.
                            ~

Comment

Newbies Nest

CONGRATS

Nanette,

Congratulations on 30 days! That really is a key milestone. I'll second Star's observation. I found myself flat after that. If those feelings creep in, new goals do help. But for now, bask, bask, bask. Well done! And I love Stella.

Cat
                              "It is easier to maintain than to start from the bottom again. I can't go back there." Byrdie

AF since Oct 2, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

:welcome: :disco:

It's a Newbies Nest Mocktail Party! :woot:
                                :notes:
                                we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Working...
                                X