Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone......cold, rainy day here......just going to stay in and get some chores done today.....and start my 2nd day AF. No temptation last night, as I was so determined. Helped to have gone out to the movies last night....so no alcohol there. And the movie we saw was "Flight" with denzel Washington who,plays an alcoholic pilot .......what a movie to see as an alcoholic.....bit shocking. So it also contributed to me not wanting to our myself a couple of drinks when I got home. As I normally would have. Just went to bed and read for awhile. Did have lots of trouble getting to sleep, even with melatonin and valerian.....but dozed fitfully after 2:00am. Feeling fine this morning and ready to tackle another day!

Comment

Newbies Nest

HI newday - I was curious about that movie...I bet you didn't want to pour a couple afterwards...

Just checking in to say hello. :-)
      ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

New Day;1420558 wrote: Good morning everyone......cold, rainy day here......just going to stay in and get some chores done today.....and start my 2nd day AF. No temptation last night, as I was so determined. Helped to have gone out to the movies last night....so no alcohol there. And the movie we saw was "Flight" with denzel Washington who,plays an alcoholic pilot .......what a movie to see as an alcoholic.....bit shocking. So it also contributed to me not wanting to our myself a couple of drinks when I got home. As I normally would have. Just went to bed and read for awhile. Did have lots of trouble getting to sleep, even with melatonin and valerian.....but dozed fitfully after 2:00am. Feeling fine this morning and ready to tackle another day!
        I went and saw Flight as well a couple weeks into my AF adventure. It really did take on a whole new meaning. Keep up the fight. I have tried to quit so many times as has everyone here. What really made a difference for me this time was I told people that I have a drinking problem and I am quitting. This made me accountable. I only told people that I could trust with my feelings and emotions. I drank after work from 4:00 to 6:00 at home by myself so no one knew how bad it had gotten.

This place has also been a huge part. Keep coming here too.

Have a great AF day.
        AF Since 11/02/12 :wings::bananacomputer::lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

New Day;1420558 wrote: And the movie we saw was "Flight" with denzel Washington who,plays an alcoholic pilot .......what a movie to see as an alcoholic.....bit shocking. So it also contributed to me not wanting to our myself a couple of drinks when I got home. As I normally would have. Feeling fine this morning and ready to tackle another day!
          Morning New Day,

I have been recommending that movie to friends here, everyone should see it. His denial is...well...heartbreaking. The ending, superb. All the nesters and everyone at MWO will share similar feelings. I wanted to see it again with a good friend who definitely needs help but just isn't ready yet. The movie was that good that it may open some people's eyes. Hopefully that's a bit of it lolab without spoiling the plot for you.

New Day, I went out to dinner last night and as I drank my promegrante lemonade, I had no jealousy looking at hubby's glass of fine wine. And when the waitress came to talk to us (chats a lot as we're regulars), I had no worries of "Is my speech slightly off cause I'm a bit tipsy?" As time goes on, you will find how much better you feel when you remain in total control of every situation. And there are a ton of fun "mocktails" out there if you want to peruse the general site for that section. I'll attach it for you.
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...eve-70531.html

Some people have trouble with the least amount of alcohol so caution with near beer and things like that but an Arnold Palmer (ice tea and lemonade) or one of the other recipes you'll see make it a bit more fun when you're feeling a bit down that everyone is drinking but you. Hang in there. You have some great support here.

:l
          Eve11
          "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

NewDay and Embracing....that's just how it's done! One day at a time! I am so happy to hear that you are well underway...often, getting started and taking that leap of faith is the hardest part. How can I live without my crutch??? It is amazing how well you can live without...in fact, it wasn't a crutch at all, it was a dang prison holding you back! Well done....every single day you can put between you and AL is a win! Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

I love mocktails! It feels like I'm having something special than the daily water, iced tea, juice and seltzer. I also enjoy having my "drink" in a mocktail glass like everyone else. I've decided for Christmas eve dinner I'm going to arrive late to the party. Deny the first "what can I get you to drink" be busy putting my things down saying hi, and then go to the kitchen and fix myself something in a pretty glass. Once the family sees me with a beverage in hand they won't think twice. Especially after they have had a few. I'll have to be careful as to the champagne pour for toasts... hmmm... I can switch to water during dinner and use my water glass to toast.
              :notes:
              we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Newbies Nest

CrossPost Eve...I'll have to check out that movie! I used to squirm a bit watching movies about ALK, but today it is a different story. It is a fact of so many people's lives.

I tried a drink the other day made by Canada Dry at a friend's house, it was a ginger ale with cranberry juice. It was really good and festive looking. A seasonal thing they have I think, but I had it in a pretty glass and felt special drinking it. I tried to get a good look at the label, but the information shared is the best I could do without taking a snap of it with my phone!!! I may get a 2 liter bottle of it and take it to some holiday gatherings I will be attending. Your mocktails look delicious! Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you, Nanette, eve, and byrdlady.....I am just grateful that I have the next few days to take care of myself (besides hubby and his demanding mother) before my daughter, son-in-law and grandson return home. I will check in here often to be reminded of the success others have had and the rewards of an AF life.
                  One of my favorite AF drinks is cranberry juice and a little soda. Another (more summertime drink though) is lime cordial and diet tonic with a slice of lime.

Gotta get on with the chores, but I keep getting drawn back here!
                  Have a great day everyone!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning New Day! Glad to see you on here already. Keep busy. Drink lots of water. Good thoughts to you!
                    we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Newbies Nest

This is the view from my window this morning. It is truly a winter wonderland. It kind of looks like the world is in black and white today. It is beautiful. Glad I am not driving anywhere today though.

Today is truly 30 days for me. I have taken out all the applause and congratulations from the box from the other day and enjoying them again.

Thank you so much everyone for being here and reading my silly posts. I have always dealt with everything in a humorous way. It doesn't mean that I don't take all of this seriously, it is just how I deal with things. Attached files [img]/converted_files/1995995=7223-attachment.jpg[/img]
                      AF Since 11/02/12 :wings::bananacomputer::lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congratulations Nanette on your 30 days.....an inspiration to me that it can be done:goodjob:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congratulations Nanette! There are so many milestones lately. It's quite a festive atmosphere.
                          I love your snow photo! I grew up in upstate New York and I miss a good snow storm every now and then.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1420602 wrote: CrossPost Eve...I'll have to check out that movie! I used to squirm a bit watching movies about ALK, but today it is a different story. It is a fact of so many people's lives.
                            You will LOVE his signature statement toward the end of the movie Byrdie. It will definitely resonate with you!! :h

Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

nurdl;1420601 wrote: I'll have to be careful as to the champagne pour for toasts... hmmm... I can switch to water during dinner and use my water glass to toast.
                              nurdl,

Bring a bottle or two of fake champagne that they make now for "the kids" and share with the hostess you're bringing it for the young ones. You pour for the kids and then one for yourself. Looks like the real thing, tastes as good if not better, and you feel great the next day.

Eve11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Today's encouragement

When one is a stranger to oneself, then one is estranged from others, too.
                                ?Anne Morrow Lindbergh

There's a person inside each of us just itching to be known and loved. But if we don't get to know and love that person, how can we expect anyone else to know us?

That's why it's so important to spend time alone getting acquainted with ourselves. And how do we do that? We can sit quietly with ourselves, thinking and listening. Then we can write our thoughts in a journal, or we can draw or paint them. If we play a musical instrument, we can put our thoughts and feelings into music.

When we make the time and effort to know ourselves, it encourages others to want to know us, too. Since everything we do and feel begins inside us, we must feel good about ourselves in order to feel good about anything else. What wonders we are, that we have all the power we need to make our world a happy one!

How do I feel about myself today?

?Your task is not to seek for Love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.?
                                - Rumi, thirteenth century Sufi poet
                                Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Working...
                                X