Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Ambrose71;1421818 wrote: Hey all. I got to over 100 days this summer - then slid back. Last night I had a bender and want to start over again. This time I am going to grow a beard... I don't know why - buy I am. Decem-beard.

Here is to day one of alcohol and shaving free.
    Hello Ambrose! I like it - Decem-beard. Brilliant! You could do like what Nanette;s doing wither her Stella (Flower) and grow it each day you don't have a drink! And well done on 100days AF this summer. I did 7 weeks (my first big quit) back in September then stumbled and fell and rolled and it wasn't too pretty. So, here I am. On day 3. And that's ok. Because I've not had a drink and tomorrow is day 4.

Dottie - AlmostFree, good to read how youse both are doing. And the rest of you here. Lovely to hear you and see new peeps too.

JingleJo - YES, that natural tired feeling... I'm beginning to get it back tonight! And one thing i did remember when I was AF not that long ago was how solid my sleep was. I don't sleep long, but the hours i did sleep i felt my body had really rested. NOT spending the night lying in a drunken coma as my body went "Oh bugger we gotta work extra hard cos there's all this poison in here AND he's got to rest" and all my little cells would be like: :stomper:

True!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ambrose71;1421818 wrote: Hey all. I got to over 100 days this summer - then slid back. Last night I had a bender and want to start over again. This time I am going to grow a beard... I don't know why - buy I am. Decem-beard.

Here is to day one of alcohol and shaving free.
      Decem-beard, I love it.
      or instead of Movember which is just for men maybe the ladies could do something similar and call it Fannuary :H
      (sorry girls)(I'll get my coat):blush:
      AF since october 8th 2012:new

How to get Alcohol free in 6 minutes :H
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Newbies Nest

Patrick;1421884 wrote: Decem-beard I love it.
        or instead of Movember which is just for men maybe the ladies could do something similar and call it Fannuary :H
        (sorry girls)(I'll get my coat):blush:
        :H:H:H:H

Comment

Newbies Nest

Back from the train thingy and going upstairs to watch a little tv. I have a little tablet I use up there so if my typing is a mess that is why...those touch screens are interesting but I like real keys to bang on..
          Glad day 3 is almost over...back work tomorrow...looks like a busy one so it will hopefully go quickly.
          Hello to all the other day 3 folks...we are making forward progress and that is the important thing.
          Dottie
          Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

nurdl;1421082 wrote: Good Morning Nesters!
            It's a beautiful Monday morning here in the states. Another day closer to Christmas so there's lots to do. It's so nice to wake up clear headed and feeling good. I can feel another AF day adding up to my string of days. I thought I might buy myself a charm or something that I could engrave with my quit date on it. That would make my commitment to me even more permanent. Just a thought. I hope you all are having a good day too. Keep checking back. There's lots of love and support to go around. Plenty of butt kicking and velcro from Lav and Byrd if you need a different approach :H
            xoxo
            ~ nurdl
            WHAT a lovely idea as a Xmas present to self :h

Wow it is a busy nest ATM!!! Good to see everyone working hard. Nothing in life worth having comes free

Fannuary.......:H:H:H:H

Comment

Newbies Nest

Patrick - OK I laughed but I didn't get it. Sometimes I just laugh when everyone else does. Fannuary?

Well I have a comment or thought about drinking because we are depressed. This is so true. I believe the term I have heard about 1,000,000,000 times is, "Self Medicating".

However I bet I am not the only one who drank when I was sad, happy, relaxed, up-tight, if I cut the grass, if I shoveled snow, to celebrate achievements, to drown failures, when I was hot, when I was cold, after and during playing of a sport, watching sports on t.v. and my personal favorite.. only on days that have a "y" in them. :sighbubble:

I am sure there are others too. When I thought of it this way I realized that I was drinking because I had to. I was justifying it any way I could. I think we need to realize this or we won't be ready when we are not depressed anymore and still want to drink. Be careful. Be prepared.

The last couple days I have really been struggling because I put my Christmas tree up and I would have normally sat down with a Rum and Egg Nog or glass of wine and enjoy the tree. It has been a real fight, especially since I am having plumbing issues (they will have to dig up my basement to find the problem) no insurance and my husband will be away for 22 days instead of 8 this time. Dick head AL has been trying to convince me that no one would know. You are home by yourself. Just have one and start Day 1 again tomorrow. Well I have been telling him to shut :durn: up. However he is a pretty stubborn guy. I might go to bed early. I will keep checking in here too.

WOW started with a joke and then just starting typing. I guess I needed to get that off my chest. :soapbox:

Thanks for listening (reading) :ear:
              AF Since 11/02/12 :wings::bananacomputer::lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

wow! Some really great posts here. I'll be going back and re-reading some of those pearls!

Day 1. Yesterday I had already had a drink in the morning before I decided with New Day that is was going to happen. Then last night I thought..."I already can't count this as an AF day, so why not?". Which led to one of the many things I hate about AL. Not doing what you say you'll do BECAUSE OF DRINKING.

Even if it's as simple as saying I was going check back in here yesterday and not doing it. I would've if I hadn't been drinking. And that sucks.

Running behind schedule because I couldn't stop reading. Trying to keep as busy as I can until the magic appears.

Comment

Newbies Nest

It's okay Next....at least you did return. We can do this! I too am looking forward to "the magic" I keep reading about. I had a bit of a that "arguing going on in my head" earlier.....but the better side of me won out over the Beast. So far, so good tonight and looking forward to a day 3 tomorrow.

The real test will be after Thursday when my daughter, SIL, and baby grandson return from their week holiday in Florida.....the chaos gets to me. That's why I chose this week to start AF.....it is quiet and I can focus on taking care of myself.

So I look forward to your posts, "Next, please"

Comment

Newbies Nest

hi new day,when you said the chaos of your family coming back i can relate,i feel guilty about it because when the kids all come over the talking and noise gets to me and i feel overwhelmed! and my middle daughters having a baby in feb.i hope i can be strong through that,i havent been around a baby in 15 years,im scared!
                    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi paulywogg.....it had been 30 years since I had been around babies (my own).....I too was scared of how I was going to handle the little one......but boy you catch on fast when they are living with you! They moved back home from out West and are staying with us for a couple of years. Hard going from empty nesters to having 2 more adults, a baby and their 2 dogs (down to one now) move in on you!
                      Have to bite my tongue every now and then, as mothering is done slightly differently than we did...every generation makes changes. But the bonding that I'm doing with my first grandchild is the reward.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just spent the entire day watching my grandsons New Day ~ I know exactly what you're talking about
                        Handling babies was kind of like riding a bicycle for me, it all came right back.

My oldest grandson just turned 4 last week & he's the reason I pushed myself to quit for good!!!!

Hello & welcome to everyone tonight & wishes for a safe, cozy night in the nest.
                        Thinking about you Dottie.

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone...and first of all thank you for your continuing kind support.

I made it through day 1 and now it is noon on day 2 - physically I feel totally strange, the shakes and sweating I am working through and just putting up with it, but I also feel very disoriented. A bit like an out of body experience. Not a good feeling at all, but I am going to try my best.

There is no AL in the house, and although it would only take me 10 minutes walk to get some, I am determined not to do it now. Sort of taking things in hour increments - saying if I can go this hour, then the next hour I will decide etc. Since I am an at-home alone drinker, I have been trying to change my routines etc.

This morning I have turned into a cleaning machine...lol...is this normal?!!! I have started to notice how much I have neglected things and so the home is being turned upside down today as I clean and move things - anything to change the situation and environment...now I just have to get it put in order before tonight when my g/f gets home..but that gives me a plan. I liked the suggestion to change to furniture etc and give a 'new environment'. It is astounding to me how I did not notice how I let things go (Vodka goggles?)...Still feel like a hundred gnomes are banging on my head though.

I did get some propanalol here, which is helping with the shaking and trembling a bit which is good. I also now am continuously hungry...so I am trying to eat healthy and drink a lot of water (with lemon) to be honest, I would rather put on weight if it helps me overcome these few days. Extra weight I can deal with later and get exercise etc, right now it seems the lesser of two evils.

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts....right..now back to folding clothes and cleaning the floors!

Comment

Newbies Nest

RunningCourage;1421606 wrote:

The magic can happen. The magic will happen. Now tell me, who are the magicians?
                            Never question the magic. I'm in.
                            Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                            Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well done Andrew! Stick with it and this will get better. You won't believe how good it will feel to sleep soundly though the night. After you replace the habit of drinking with other things it will become easier to get through a day without thoughts of alcohol. We are here to support you. You are doing great!
                              ~nurdl
                              :notes:
                              we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Newbies Nest

Andrew .... That is odd.....I described it exactly the same...out of body.

It lasted about five days.

The cleaning is also normal.......natural desire to put things straight. Tis really good tho cos you do see what a mess your life has become.

Great attitude with the food, keep full, remember you were drinking you were getting calories that way......I just googled and there are 2 calories per ml so if you drank a bottle it is 2000 calories .......that means a LOT of extra food. Add to that mixers and the fact that you drank more sometimes that is a shit load of food you need to replace.

You are doing grand matey, keep going.

In a few days you won't believe the difference

Comment

Working...
                                X