Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Thanks to you all for your replies - so supportive!!
    Lolab - your comment about Christmas really struck home! We're wrapping presents tonight and I know that I'll be thinking about having a glass of something (won't do it though) - the truth, as you describe, is quite horrendous. Having to have a 'body check' when I wake up - am I hungover or not? Will today be awful if I was? And so on.

Looking forward to a very different Christmas this year - no more guilt and much less fear.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 5 AF...

But it's Friday, that's what worries me. Heading off to work but just a little bit nervous about tonight which is when I'd usually start my weekend binge. Have a good strong day everyone. Thanks for your words Nurdl and Lolab.

Comment

Newbies Nest

that's good, sunny - that you're aware that today might take a little extra strength to see things as they really are...but heck - it's only one day. Just say that you're going to try ONE Friday without alcohol....if it sucks - you can always drink NEXT Friday (but I promise you it won't)

newbeginning - you made me remember last year....wrapping presents was a real nail biter for me.but I did it - and I enjoyed the holidays AF for the first time since I can remember - and it was so so SO worth biting my nails a few times - or taking a calms forte during the day every once in awhile to calm my anxiety. Last year was almost like an experiment - with a great outcome. I am planning a repeat performance this year. :-)

If tonight gets to be too much, have a backup plan, OK? Be ready to tell your hubs that you'd like to switch gears - do something different tonight - and finish in the morning...OR change your wrapping location....perhaps the bedroom??? Make a new tradition.
        ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sunny- Hey Look- You got an A+ yesterday and you can do it AGAIN. I was the exact same as you about planning to get my drinks after work. Forget about that please and plan to do something good for yourself instead. You had a great plan yesterday and I am sure your doggie is looking forward to another long walk this afternoon and I can just about guarantee you that if you decide to drink tonight- you will be so :stomper:mad at yourself in the morning that you won't enjoy that massage. Not worth it. If stopping at the store is a problem for you, like it was for me (too great a temptation to buy the liquor) please try to figure out a way that you don't have to stop. It's tricky, but so well worth it. Good Luck and Plan well! :l

Welcome, New Beginning- we are so happy to have you here with us :l If you have been reading the posts, you are already finding a lot of helpful information. Pay attention to what you are reading because these folks have been through the same things you are going thru (and I include myself). We care about you, are here for you and want to help you!

To all those nearing or having conquered the dreaded DAY 5- I am SO PROUD of you :goodjob: I posted on the Stella thread yesterday about my experiences with Day 5 over the years and it truly is a major hurdle. I had never heard about it being from the effects of the last remnants of AL leaving the body, but that makes sense (Thanks, Kuya!) It is a struggle, but you are doing it!

:h Star
          :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

haha,when lolab said she used to think of alcohol having antiseptic qualities,i had to laugh thats what i always would say"oh i never get sick the alcohol kills all the germs"! what a dumbo
            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Newbies Nest

WOW, just looked at ROLL CALL and Patrick has 60 Days and Matchee has 30 Days!!!!

:wave:
              :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm off to a dinner party tonight with some of our hardest drinking friends - they pound fine wine like it's water. Cocktails are also popular with this group as are craft beers. These friends go all the way back to high school and man do we have a history of raging together. One is a professional acoustic guitar player, so we'll definitely be jamming into the night. The last time we played together was at another friend's wedding and we jammed until 3:30 AM! We were so drunk we could hardly walk. Good lord.

Anyway, I'm 4 days away from my 30-day short term goal. 28 days is my previous record and I fully intend to shatter that mark. My plan? To say I'm in a competition with another friend of ours (which is true) to make it to 30-days. I'm also going to take some Cokes over, or some tasty substitute that I don't normally drink.

Best of luck and strength to you all as well. Be good this weekend, friends.

PS: Happy Holidays - New Avatar is my kids and me with decorated bikes for the parade of lights tour through our town last weekend. Super fun (and sober!)

-Fin
                Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello all,
                  Busy day at work so it should go quickly. Have a meeting tonight until about 10pm so that should be sufficient to pass the witching hour and make it to Saturday.
                  Glad u all are here.
                  Dottie
                  Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin - I'm looking forward to tomorrow to hear about what an awesome night you had. Sober.

We got your back. (And as you always say - be good )

Enjoy your night!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin;1423336 wrote: I'm off to a dinner party tonight with some of our hardest drinking friends - they pound fine wine like it's water. Cocktails are also popular with this group as are craft beers. These friends go all the way back to high school and man do we have a history of raging together. One is a professional acoustic guitar player, so we'll definitely be jamming into the night. The last time we played together was at another friend's wedding and we jammed until 3:30 AM! We were so drunk we could hardly walk. Good lord.

Anyway, I'm 4 days away from my 30-day short term goal. 28 days is my previous record and I fully intend to shatter that mark. My plan? To say I'm in a competition with another friend of ours (which is true) to make it to 30-days. I'm also going to take some Cokes over, or some tasty substitute that I don't normally drink.

Best of luck and strength to you all as well. Be good this weekend, friends.

PS: Happy Holidays - New Avatar is my kids and me with decorated bikes for the parade of lights tour through our town last weekend. Super fun (and sober!)

-Fin
                      Fin:

I want to be you when I grow up!!
                      You are obviously having a great time

:l:h
                      On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                      *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nesters ......... Everyone is working hard, as it should be at the beginning......it gets easier very soon.

Struggles ..... What kicked it off? It is important to find the triggers and methods of avoiding them, remember that 99% is Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired.

Try writing your day down in detail, like RC has on his Stella thread, a trigger may be found, by you or by others reading.

Now, my dear, get back on the horse

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening Nesters.

Quiet here... um.... are you all having a party somewhere else? :H

Struggles - it is. I know. It is your name sake, but nobody got anywhere without your namesake. What's more - don't beat yourself up. FORGIVE yourself immediately - I don't always do this, but I'm learning, and I will, making moving forward be like a hot knife through butter.

This past week, i've gone through the first days of being AF (again). This evening I made the decision to head to my folks, not wanting to chance being in the flat where my flatmates would be drinking ... them drinking is not so much a trigger, but that i want the noise to go away IS. So i can use drinking as an excuse (and have done many a time) to sleep through the noise. Or to drink by myself while watching a movie as the young 'uns would party upstairs. Or another similar excuse.

So I left the flat and drove north. Yet upon leaving - going into different areas, away from the comfort of my room, my laptop, my MWO buddies, my routines - there rises a noise in my head...yup...definitely a noise...yup....getting clearer.... AHA! There it is. A voice. Saying.... "What?! You're not going to drink, like EVER? But It's Christmas time!"

And

"But it's easier to drink because EVERYONE is doing it... and you'll have to find excuses for EVERYONE and EVERY situation. Why bother. Have a drink! YOU DON"T HAVE A PROBLEM! Have a drink. You are not that person. You are not a so-called problem drinker."

I focus on the now. Just now. Not 'forever' that's too big a concept to think about. Just focus on now. Now I wont have a drink. Now I don't have a drink. Now it is OK. And actually, the likelyhood is any situation you fear will be better than you knew it when you were drinking. That's the magic, I'm told. And I believe in real magic (not the Paul Daniels shit).

Have a safe and fun evening folks

RC

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Kuya...we are two days away from triple digits WOOP WOOP my friends

ALLAN
                            AF since 1st Sep 2012
                            NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

RC, I will be here all night may be watching Shutter Island on the side. So if you need someone to talk to I am here...

AK
                              AF since 1st Sep 2012
                              NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Allan!

See peeps? That's what makes here such a great place. Always a friend saying "hey, I'm here."

Comment

Working...
                                X