X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Today's Encouragement

"Even the longest journey must begin from where you stand." ~Lao Tau~

"You already know what you should be doing, so just follow that gut instinct and put your best foot forward."

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence...persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." ~Calvin Coolidge~

"Keep to the road ahead, not the one behind."
    Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie - you said this place has saved YOUR life? Have you ever thought about how YOU are saving so many others' lives? It's amazing to me how someone like you can give so much and not expect anything in return. Also, have you ever thought about compiling some of your brilliant posts into a book for people trying to get sober? It could even be a calendar with thoughts of the day. I don't know - anything! Wouldn't it be cool to see a Byrdie book on the Self Help shelf at Barnes and Noble?

Think about it.....

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lolab, those little crying episodes are gold. We have tried to be so strong, but look where it ends up...in a bottle. I think crying does wonders. Let some of the pressure out. Life can be cruel to the heart at times, so if you don't let some of that pain out, it's no surprise we try to push it deeper with AL. I've noted here that many of us have had years of trying to not cry or hide our pain.

I hope you feel back to your chipper self soon. You are such a great person.

Love,

Slay

Well wishes for a strong AF day to all old and new here in the nest.
        Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

I like the calendar idea! Not like a regular calendar but a Quit Calendar. It starts on day 1 of your quit and then it has Byrdie's posts for days like day 7, trouble day 13, 30 days. With all the hats and moons and fingers and words of wisdom. I think you're onto something here Rooni!
          :notes:
          we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Newbies Nest

... And it should come with packs of stickers to mark off the days, lol.
            we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Newbies Nest

nurdl;1426356 wrote: ... And it should come with pa is of stickers to mark off the days, lol.
              Stella 'Chook' stickers?

Comment

Newbies Nest

YES!!!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

OMG yall!! And nurdls of wisdom!!! Rooni, thank you so much for your kind words. That means so much to me. The pay here stinks but the rewards are great!!! I wish I had the imagination to do something like that!! Chicken stickers!!! Would anyone else in the world 'get that' besides this place??? :H

Sure, the awards are corny...but I think most of us just want to be validated for doing something RIGHT for a change! There ain't many opportunities in life to get a pat on the back for going 7 days without drinking...if the average 'guy' knew how much stregth that took for one of us, well, we'd be getting a lot more than a moon!
                  Thanks again for the nice words.... B
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey, Birdie- SHHH, they ARE getting more than moons, now- Remember- We are giving away those darling lil
                    :catroll:

And, I think the idea about Byrdie writing a book is a pure stroke of genyus!!!! As hilarious as you are, Byrdie and with the true, common sense, no nonsense advice you give, it is guaranteed to be a best seller! You should really think about it. Hey maybe we can even get Roberta Jewell to endorse it

Seriously, Byrdie- you are a life saver and we all appreciate you so much :l

And Nurdle- :clapclap: Congratulations on 100 days!!!! And here ya go :catroll:

The 100 day club- I like that idea and hope to be joining you in early January!!!!
                    :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Star. I'm allergic to cats in real life but here I can have my own kitty!

Comment

Newbies Nest

There's a lot of good vibrations going on here today! Enjoy the ride peeps!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I posted this on the alone thread, but some here may need this.

If you want to enjoy being alone, first you will have to drop all the negative ideas people have given you about yourself. You have to start loving yourself and accepting yourself as you are. If you have been condemned so much in the past, naturally, how can you tolerate yourself? How can you enjoy your aloneness and live with yourself when you have been poisoned by the society from the start?

But know this, every child is born with tremendous love for himself. It is the society, the parents, the environment in which they are born that destroy that love. The child's love for him or herself has to be distracted. He or she have to be conditioned so that their love is always towards an object outside himself, it has to be hijacked and sacrificed for some stupid idea, such as perfectionism.

You have experienced a glimpse. I think that's good enough. Let this be like a seed that starts growing inside you and nourish it. This is your potential, you can learn to be in that state of acceptance and at-easeness your whole life. Then, all misery will disappear and you can finally start enjoying yourself and life again.

So the first step: LOVE YOURSELF.... This can become the foundation of a radical transformation. Don't be afraid of loving yourself. Love totally, and you will be surprised: the day you can get rid of all self-condemnation, self-disrespect, the day you can get rid of the ideas people have given you about yourself, the day you can think of yourself as worthy and loved by existence, will be a day of great blessing. From that day onwards you will start seeing yourself in your true light.

Second thing: drop the idea of perfectionism. The idea of perfection is the root cause of all neurosis. You have not been healthy because of the idea of perfection. You have suffered immensely, and unnecessarily. Erase this word perfection from your vocabulary. Perfectionism means that you reject yourself as you are. This is another way in which society poisons people. This will never allow you to relax, always keeping you in tension between what is and what ought to be. You can never be fulfilled, contented or satisfied. Drop this stupid idea and start living moment-to-moment accepting that life is imperfect. It is an endless evolution. Always opening new doors, new possibilities and new challenges. But it never reaches a perfection. That's part of the beauty and part of the adventure. Learn to enjoy it and take it as a gift, don't turn it into a curse against yourself.

Lastly, once you learn to love yourself, accept yourself and drop all condemnation and ideas of perfectionism, you can finally learn to enjoy your aloneness. Start looking into meditation. It will help you go deeper into your true self. Meditation can give you psychological freedom. This freedom which is far more important than moving away. You can be as free as it's possible to be without going anywhere. The real prisons are of the mind. Meditation can help you find love for yourself and freedom, both of which are essential to your happiness. Don't let anyone take them away from you. They are your birthright.

Love,

Slay

:l:h:l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Star, you are killing me with the cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!:H:H:H
                            Yes, Nurdl, just load up yer cats in yer Barbee car and off you go!

Kuya told me to fly the 21 cats to NZ and she'd take care of them for me. Let me get my pencil...21 cat crates...21 airfares from North Carolina to NZ........carry the 1...the extra baggage fee because all their stuff won't fit in the overhead bins...lunch monies..... HOLY CAT SHITE! :hitme: My family is nucking futs!!!! B
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

meow meow meow- zoom!

Comment

Newbies Nest

LOL Byrdie! You may need to change your name to CatWoman! Also, I am all for the idea of the Byrdie Calendar...with your nuggets of wisdom and humor inserted in the appropriate places...only YOU could actually make quitting FUN! That's why we LOVES US SOME BYRDIE!!! :h

Sorry I haven't been around much peeps...I have been busy trying to get a new job. I went on a "ride along" yesterday to get a feel for it, and it really seems like something I would love to do. No more being chained to my desk all day...I'd be free to roam the streets and look for perps. LOL The downside is that I would be HERE even less...but I will make more of an effort to post in the evenings...

Hope you're all well...I need to spend some serious time catching up. Everyone stay strong and remember, we CAN do this!

xoxoxoxo
                                K9
                                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Working...
                                X