Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Happy Friday!

I have a question for all. I need to raise 2 grand for a charity in about 4 months. Does anyone have any ideas of how to go about it? It is for my London Run to help the homeless.

I mean my friends and family could probably donate about 200 but how do I raise the rest? Anyone with similar experience?

Thanks

ALLAN
    AF since 1st Sep 2012
    NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

allankay;1430525 wrote: Happy Friday!

I have a question for all. I need to raise 2 grand for a charity in about 4 months. Does anyone have any ideas of how to go about it? It is for my London Run to help the homeless.

I mean my friends and family could probably donate about 200 but how do I raise the rest? Anyone with similar experience?

Thanks

ALLAN
      Hi Allan,

Don't know about 2K, but if you set up an account with Justgiving.com or Virginmoney.com, they both are a straightforward way folks can donate money to you PLUS they can give giftaid too, which means you get a wee bit more.... You can then promote the site through Facebook and other social media sites, or email it to work colleagues.

Is it for a race? If so, some half marathon or marathon sites also give their own ideas for raising cash. If i think of anything else will let you know.

Good luck

RC

Comment

Newbies Nest

WHEW! Overwhelming (not really because I won't give in) desire to have a cocktail right now. It has snowed 4 feet since last night, It's my anniversary, Friday, cold, wet, etc. At the moment, I'm just biting my nails. It's that 10 day thing huh? Bastard!

I'm Ok, I'll get through this. You know what it is? I'm at work, 14 minutes to go, bored, excited for the 4 days off......I'm anxious and that is what is causing this desire. I just have to talk myself down. This is when I hit the gym every night for a good weight session or a run. Not tonight but I'll dream about it. I'm already calming.....................breathe............... ....

Don't worry. I'll be fine.

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrd-Maybe the bag is making me hyperventilate? (that was just for you)

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

Comment

Newbies Nest

Overit...I was gonna say find a bag and breathe into it, but you beat me to it...remember the HALT thing? Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired....they are triggers for sure...can you find some loose change and a vending machine and grab a cookie?? Or set you mind on finding some gingerbread men....where can you find some awesome gingerbread men? Setting your mind to another task like that will help. A craving lasts about 15 minutes...dig those heels in and do NOT give in no matter what and no matter who!! B
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Byrd. I'm good now. Really. I don't know what that was! whoo! Good thing for my "little white angel."

AF since 12/26/13

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Overit, just keep distracting yourself & you'll be OK
                Do you really want to let yourself down by giving in to a drinking thought? I don't think so!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest. It's cold & windy here, brrr.
                Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nesters

It is amazing to be in the first few days of sobriety again. Feeling so much better. Funny to be able to remember how I got into bed. What the last thing was I did before I decided to sleep? Amazing!:H

I have lots of energy and want to move about every room in the house. Want to make detox juice and print out inspiring words. But before all that ? a walk in the park again!inkele:

Have a great day Birds!arrot::chick::wings:
                  12-20-2012 AF
                  Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning nesters - tummy rumbling so need to get some top tasty oats into this tummy pronto.

Overit - glad you surfed that urge. Just post here when you feel the need - you are doing SO well.

Steady - innit great?! Now try and bottle those wonderful morning feelings up. I try and remember them especially in the late afternoon and early evening when my cravings and Rick the Dicks voice is loudest... it does help. Why blow an hour with Rick and AL when you can have a motivated, liberated and feel-good-get-up-and-go morning that can last for hours... a whole day even!

I should have had an extra hours sleep when I awoke at 6.30am... feeling like I need an extra 2 cups of joe to get me revving!!

RC

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Could have used an extra hour myself RC but what can you do when the dog needs to go out?

SH, so glad to see you are enjoying the benefits of a few AF days

OK, more coffee for me. Wishing everyone a terrific AF Saturday!
                      Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good to see the early birds this morning. Coffee sounds good, but I'ma traveling today! Headed South (MORE South) to see my step daughter and her hubs, Google...(knows ALL). You'd never guess this, but they have 4 cats! When I come back late tomorrow, I may need to be sedated with some sort of IV, so lets the guards know, ok? Tummy still ain't quite right since my eggs didn't go over quite so easy.....UGG. I need to check roll call, I'm on moon dooties (the visual!) til Star gets back.

Overit....those thoughts comes out of freaking NO WHERE and are strong! Don't let them over take you...Stop in your tracks and change direction and that will help a LOT.
                        Hippy, so good to see you! You are killing it!!! I'm so happy you are here!

Let me go check roll call right quick to see if there are any major awards today.....hugs to all. Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning nesters!
                          I am up early too and wishing everyone a great day. Safe travels Byrdie and thanks eva' so much for taking over the (visual) moon dutie for a few days
                          Everyone is so strong and doing so well!
                          SH- just a couple days ago, I woke up and the first thing I thought about was how great it was to remember what I had done the night before. Priceless!
                          Have a great day everyone. Will be checking in later.
                          :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I was up super early this morning too. It is really so nice to wake up feeling good and remembering everything you did the night before. I had to run a quick errand, and I couldn't find my purse for a few minutes. Reminded me of all the hungover mornings I woke up looking frantically for my purse, keys, and phone. I really hope those days are over!

Like Byrdie, I am also headed out of town for a visit with friends and family. No stopping on the side of the road puking or feeling like I'm gonna die in the car. I made sure to take my little white pill this morning (Antabuse) to make double sure that I don't drink. I'm bringing some NA beer and wine just for the heck of it....

Have a great day everyone, and don't listen to Dick Head!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning. Great day not to have a hangover, which I don't. Thanks for holding my hand Byrd. I'm good.

Have a great day everyone.

AF since 12/26/13

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning all,

I am coming up with a plan but I have a couple of questions and I think K9 can help me with this because I know she has a daughter. I have two teenagers, a boy and a girl, and most days they make me so angry and it hurts so much to see them struggling and not letting me help them with it. The won't listen to my advice, they won't help me around the house. I have begged, cried, yelled, screamed, left the house for 2 or 3 hours and nothing works. Any ideas on how to deal with this without drinking it away? I can ignore it and just do the cooking and the chores myself but what does that really teach them besides if you don't do it long enough someone will do it for you. Anyway, here's my plan.

Protein shake in the morning first thing (I have found it really helps cravings later in the day because of the amino acids like l glut)
                                A big yummy snack at 3pm
                                Sign up for the 5:05 hot yoga class near my work, its only 30 minutes so it won't wipe me out too bad
                                On the way home from hot yoga, it's a 45 minute drive to my house and the drive is my worst time, have a bag of pretzels in the car and stop for a large sonic coke zero.
                                I should get home around 6:15 to 6:30 then I can change and start dinner
                                Here is where the trouble will start, the dishes won't be done or the living room will be a mess or the dogs will still be caged up or the dogs will be out but they will not have been let out so there is pee everywhere, all these things are triggers that I can not avoid. All these things make me loose my mind after 8 hours of work and 2 hours of driving and I feel like if the kids valued me in anyway they would figure out how to take care of all these things for me before I get home. I really don't think that is to much to ask but they seem to.
                                Anyway I would cook dinner, eat, watch a show, go to bed. I sound so simple and I did it for many years but now I find if I'm two drinks in by the time I get home I can handle these setbacks without freaking out on the kids. What I find is, after I have two, I eat dinner, have two more, smoke 10 cigs, go to bed at 11 instead of 9:30 and wake up either drunk or hungover which will pass by noon and by three it starts all over again.

Any advice would be helpful. My goal is to spend the entire year of 2013 sober.
                                ALL I HAVE TO DO IS GET THOUGH THIS DAY AF

Comment

Working...
                                X