Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

ODAT:
    I am coming up with a plan but I have a couple of questions and I think K9 can help me with this because I know she has a daughter. I have two teenagers, a boy and a girl, and most days they make me so angry and it hurts so much to see them struggling and not letting me help them with it. The won't listen to my advice, they won't help me around the house. I have begged, cried, yelled, screamed, left the house for 2 or 3 hours and nothing works. Any ideas on how to deal with this without drinking it away? I can ignore it and just do the cooking and the chores myself but what does that really teach them besides if you don't do it long enough someone will do it for you. Anyway, here's my plan.

WOW! What you have described is probably half of the population. I used to say "If it was just my kids then there wouldn't be so many books and movies about these exact same things." What would you do when you were drunk? Ignore it? Well try that when you are sober?

My children are now 24 and 21. We have talked about this alot since they were teenagers. They have assured me in uncertain terms that they did not notice any of it so they didn't even think
    about doing it or not. I would say you just stepped over that and didn't see it? "No, I didn't even think about it for one second." The other thing to remember is that none of the things that are important to us are important to them at this stage of the game. My daughter will come home and complain how her room mate leaves her stuff all over and won't do her dishes and has a mess everywhere. I respond with the look that says, "Really? Now you know how it feels." She says it is different, you are my mom. I say, "Well it felt the same." My mom did everything for me because she was a stay at home mom. I would eventually clean up after my daughter because I couldn't stand it and she is figuring it out, slowly.

Another good one. Calmly and very matter of factly pick up all their stuff and put it in a box. They probably won't even question it because they will think that you are just cleaning up after them once again. Once this is done and the box is put away tell them, calmly and very matter of factly, they can get it back when they do something. Then walk away, do not engage in the question and answer period that will follow. Every time they leave it out put it back in the box. This box could be kept in your car so they can't just go in the box and take what they want when you are at work etc. Oh my that is a good one, if you are up for it. LOL I would love to be a fly on the wall, to see the looks on their faces, when you tell them you have their stuff.

Well you asked for it. I hope some of these things will help. Let me know how you make out. I look forward to seeing how things work out.
    AF Since 11/02/12 :wings::bananacomputer::lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

P.S. ODAT A friend of mine used to take the power cable and controllers for her sons gaming system to work so her couldn't play when he was home "sick" for the day. this would work for the internet boxes too. Take the whole main box. Chances are if they are like my kids it was TV and gaming online that caused them to not be engaged in life around them.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nanette;1430801 wrote:
        WOW! What you have described is probably half of the population. I used to say "If it was just my kids then there wouldn't be so many books and movies about these exact same things." What would you do when you were drunk? Ignore it? Well try that when you are sober?
        You are so right, I am not the only one and I do just ignore it when I drink so if I ignore it when sober I'm doing the same thing, only difference is my brain is on instead of off. Never thought about it that way. Thank you!
        ALL I HAVE TO DO IS GET THOUGH THIS DAY AF

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening all,

If anyone needs any inspiration/motivation taking your first step or needs will power to stay the course I recommend you watch "Flight" with Denzel Washington. He plays an alcoholic

Why do we need extraordinary circumstances to seek change? I certainly needed the shame/fear that I experienced in my last month of drinking to get sober.

ALLAN.
          AF since 1st Sep 2012
          NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

merlot100;1430893 wrote: Hey everyone hope your all doing well....I'm on day 5 .... I just had some guests over for x mas everyone was having alcohol and I stuck to water the thing I found surprising is no one noticed or at least no one Seemed to. It feels good when everyone's gone to hit the couch sober I guess I'm proud o myself fort little victory against this monster.

Thanks for reading
            No victory is a little victory here. Every victory deserves a celebration. Cue music...:band2: Now dancers...:banana::dancin: Any singers out there.... :anon: That is Overit under there singing. Really.

:goodjob:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Just sitting down for a minute - oy.....long day but got lots done
              My kids are grown now but starting when they were pre-teens I realized the value of actually following thru when you make threats! I always threatened to remove whatever they deemed most valuable at the moment whether is was a bike when they were young or car keys when they were older. Works like a charm, I promise but you have to be willing to do the follow-thru

merlot, congrats on your 5 AF days & I truly hope you see the value of sobriety! Keep going!!
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Way to go Merlot!!! You Rock!!!

:notes:
                we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey all! I took a yoga class this morning and I am already hooked (once I get over the soreness of finding old muscles. Anyway the whole concept about breathing, being good to yourself, gratitude... it just resonated with me. It was kind of like having Lav and Byrdie in the room saying all the wonderful things they do.

Now I'm going to go find some Aleve :H
                  :notes:
                  we are human beings with alcohol problems not alcoholics with problems caused by drinking

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hope you found the Aleve nurdl

I have gotten a lot out of my meditation practice & like to pass the zen along when I can

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest. Snuggle in - it's cold out there!!
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning nesters,

Allan - yes, extraordinary circumstances do help us change. But also so does creeping realisation. Though perhaps with the latter it is harder to maintain the change if we ever begin to think "oh but it wasn't so bad, it wasn't as if I... [fill in the blank]" ... I am fortunate, I never hit a rock bottom, insomuch as I lost my job, mortally embarrassed myself, winded up in a cell somewhere, said or did something that brought the proverbial bricks down around me. But it could have happened. I was just aware of the slow creeping rusting away at what deep down I knew, hoped, believed at what actually was a better life. A more awake life. I must remember what I was doing over the years that eventually brought me here (and the tears before bed time i shared with folks at MWO 3 weeks ago - perhaps that was my wee rock bottom).

Gonna check out "Flight" though!

Nurdie - Yoga = Lav and Byrdie in the same room as you! Love it. We could call it Lavatha Yoga and Byrnyassa Yoga! Lab and Byrdie as MWO Yogi's.

I'll be the Booboo.

RC

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning!

Hi Merlot - glad to see you in the nest.:goodjob: I'm one day behind you!

I have a lot of ideas and plan to do a lot, but I took the last few days VERY slow. Today I should at least do something besides eating, reading and a walk in the park.

Yoga sounds good Nurdl!

I take note of all the kidz talk. Always good to know... I'm at the stage where they simply do not listen! I am background music!! Can't blame them. They are young and most of my mothering was done with a glass of wine in the hand...

Time to do something different! Want to move their room and bought wall stickers to decorate. They'll be back in 7 days!:h

Have a good day!
                        12-20-2012 AF
                        Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Everything that could go wrong did go wrong with my travel plans but I'm on the route now using a different method than planned with a lot less luggage. Had to leave a lot of my AF drinks behind but I'll be there in time to buy more.

A funny thing happened to me yesterday. I was in a store and suddenly realised that one of the sales men was flirtting with me. I was really confused at first because it's been so long since it's happened and even thought I may be mistaken. When I came out, I looked in the mirror of the car (yes, checked myself out!) and couldn't believe how different I looked. I used to avoid looking at the blotchy skin, red eyes, bloated face, dry hair. I actually look healthy and groomed now.
                          Don't worry I won't get the run of myself. Feet still firmly on the ground!

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Moni,

Good to hear pride in your post. it is a great feeling.

I am sure that you look at least five years younger and at least two points hotter. Your new found confidence plays a big part too.

So happy to hear that you are doing well.

Allan
                            AF since 1st Sep 2012
                            NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everybody,
                              this is my 4th day AF .

Comment

Newbies Nest

vickey the hunney bunney;1431017 wrote: Hi everybody,
                                this is my 4th day AF .

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X