Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

A separate post, but adding to NN.

No hangover or regrets the day after Christmas!
    Now isn't that a source of reward in and of itself? I enjoyed my Christmas with some family members and feel so good about the whole process. Just being us and enjoying us together without the alcohol induced state of mind. It's, also, a great time to show forgiveness, patience and just give love. A bit of an awakening taking place lately regarding how important certain people are to me. What should be real and what should not be considered real or important. Where my priorities should be and where they haven't been. Maybe when all the bad I have to go through is over, there will be some added good back as a result of it all. Time spent with others while intoxicated is not real. It doesn't build on the true meaning of relationships.

I hope you all had a nice Christmas in the reality of what life can be instead of hiding behind alcohol from what life has been. If you were alone without family, I hope you still are learning to love yourself and know you deserve a better future. Without alcohol you will be capable of recognizing what that is and how to get it for yourself. Maybe not today, but in time.

Love,

Slay

P.S. - We start a new year in a week. We can start new ways of living that are healthy for us and our relationships. Something to look forward to...a whole new me!
    Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

Slay, great post! 2012 has been a challenge...looking forward to 2013, my lucky number!
      Finally Done!! GREAT to see you!! How've you been???? I will look around for other posts by you...hope all is well!
      Another sober Christmas! This new normal is wonderful! Hope everyone made it thru and next year will be even easier!!
      Taking down the decorations today! We are under a tornado warning at the moment!! This weather is nuts! Hugs to all today! Be strong...let me go see if K9 has a thread started yet...today is a big day for her~!!! XXOO, Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

[QUOTE=Slaythefear;1432328] A bit of an awakening taking place lately regarding how important certain people are to me. What should be real and what should not be considered real or important. Where my priorities should be and where they haven't been. Maybe when all the bad I have to go through is over, there will be some added good back as a result of it all.

Slay, I am so glad you posted this. I have been thinking so much about this "awakening process". When I was very early in this last quit, I found (on this site) and posted a long letter (I believe it was called a Letter to the Seven Monkees). Here is an excerpt from that post.
        ?But becoming sober, becoming real, will be hard and painful. A lot of good things are.
        Becoming sober is like recovering from frostbite.
        The process of defrosting is excruciatingly painful. You have been so numb for so long. And as feeling comes back to your soul, you start to tingle, and it?s uncomfortable and strange. But then the tingles start feeling like daggers. Sadness, loss, fear, anger, all of these things that you have been numbing with the booze . . . you start to FEEL them for the first time. And it?s horrific at first, to tell you the damn truth. But feeling the pain, refusing to escape from it, is the only way to recovery. You can?t go around it, you can?t go over it, you have to go through it. There is no other option, except for amputation. And if you allow the defrosting process to take place, if you trust that it will work, if you can stand the pain, one day you will get your soul back.?
        I have held on to the hope of actually being able to feel again since I read this. And I can honestly say I am there now. And as painful as some of it is, I know it is necessary and I am grateful for it. I am grateful for each moment I have with my family and my friends (and that includes each of you). I am grateful that I don?t waste every waking moment either planning how to get my next drink or regretting my last. Although I still experience guilt and remorse from all the wasted years when I did NOT have my priorities straight, At LEAST, I now have hope (and a strategy-Byrdie!) that during the rest of my time here in this world there will be some added good back as a result of it all (to quote Slay). Now, I think that?s a pretty good way to begin the New Year!

And Lav- I am SO PROUD of you!!!! Four Christmases Sober!!!!

Byrdie - hold on to your hat!!! We had that bad weather yesterday!!! Be safe :l
        :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9, on behalf of the entire Newbie's Nest, I hope you will accept this small token of a huge job....you have logged ONE YEAR today....and here, is your major award: anties: These are your Big Girl Panties!!! You have arrived, my dear! One year is HUGE! I am so happy for you!! Do you have a few words for the folks playing along with our home edition? Thank you so much for all you do here and especially, in the Nest! We LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Byrdie and gang
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

CrossPost, Star! I'm holding onto my hat, allright! I'm in the prize closet waiting out this tornado warning!
            What a great post, Star...it really is a journey of self discovery...I disputed that for a long time, but I was in for an awakening. It ain't all pretty, but it is necessary, and it is GOOD...it makes us whole again. Well done to everyone who made it thru the rough water...it is worth it! Hugs, B
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

CONGRATULATIONS, K9.
              I have been waiting for your party, girl!
              You ROCK!
              We are ALL so PROUD of you!

:grouptrophy:

08-13-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yes, Byrdie- we cross post a lot- great minds and all:l
                Good plan to stay in that prize closet. Glad you found K9's panties in there- hey that didn't turn out right :H:H
                Thanks for all you do to get all of us through our rough waters!:h

Hey, where's Cat!! I miss her posts!

08-13-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9 - WELL DONE!!! WOOHOOO! :goodjob:

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Star, I found that letter posted a while back myself. I put it in the toolbox because it has such an impact for us posters here at MWO. Look it up online and you'll find the story of the author. Somewhere I posted that as well. Very inspirational, honest and we can relate to her. I started counseling Christmas Eve morning as I have some painful things to get through and it may get very ugly and unsafe as well, but I know I deserve better and it's time to make the real changes. Put those priorities in line and execute for those I love and for myself. Painful or not, that letter is absolutely correct. The only way to the other side is straight through it. Until you face it and do what you need to do with action you remain in bondage and alcohol keeps you hiding there not facing it. I've already been working on it, but 2013 is my year to right the wrongs and move the future toward the light and out of the darkness. Big hug, star. :l

Brydie, we can all do this and lend one another hand. How awesome is that? I'm glad to see you have given K9 new panties. She mentioned that she left her other pair on Scottishman's ceiling fan or chandelier. LOL!

Today I feel all warm and fuzzy even though I know I'm going to have some hellish days ahead. I've begun to show those I love that they are more important to me than other things that shouldn't be. There is empowerment that comes from grabbing the power away from AL and taking it back to yourself. Doing the right thing instead of the wrong thing. We may not win every fight we have to battle in life or right every wrong, but we will certainly try and be much more capable without running and hiding in a bottle all the time. A bottle never cured a broken heart, healed a family relationship, offered a strong hand to those in need, or allowed us to put our best foot forward. Into 2013 we go with our best foot forward.

Happy one year, K9. Simply awesome, girl!:bday6:

Love, kindness and compassion to all of you here.

Love,

Slay
                    Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning all! It seems that we have weathered this storm. (still waiting on Byrd though) K9-Congratulations! Are you being shy today? I have to go back and read everyone's posts but....
                      almost-I had that surge come upon me Friday night right before leaving work. I was actually anxious, my heart was racing, etc. But, I finally calmed down. I'm not sure what it was but it was scary.
                      Finally Done-Welcome.

Gotta run.

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Newbies Nest

So that's where my panties went!!! Thanks for finding them Byrdie!

Well I'm not really one for speeches (some of you are probably rolling your eyes...LOL). I really wish I had the "secret" of how I made it one year, sadly, I don't. All I can say is NEVER QUIT QUITTING...it has to be your focus every day. Remember that the AL beast is one sneaky bastard and will try it's hardest to stay alive. It does this by erasing your bad memories of alcohol and replacing them with the romantic version. Believe me, if there was ANYthing good about drinking, I would have found it and hung onto it for dear life, but the truth is, there's NOT.

This past year has been the best year of my life. It didn't magically happen overnight, no..but it DID happen. Once you clear alcohol out, you leave space for good things. I am happy, my daughter is happy and life is good. I'm not saying that quitting alcohol will suddenly make all your problems disappear, no...but it will help you to deal with them.

My two favorite sayings got me through more times than I can remember:
                        -A craving never lasts as long as a hangover; and
                        -Nobody ever woke up in the morning wishing they'd drank the night before

Well I guess that's all my tidbits for now. The most important thing is to always keep trying, the worst AF day is better than the best drunk day.

Thank you so much for all the support I've received here. I couldn't have done this without all of you...Byrdie, Lav, Lolab, MamaBear and SO many others...THANK YOU.

Love,
                        K9
                        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Checking in, OMG its hard today, non stop voices since 5:45am, plus I went to bed with voices, planing, thhinking of the drive home, I have tried to fast foward, it didnt work. Im gonna go get some lglut at lunch. My goodness can a girl get a break please.
                          ALL I HAVE TO DO IS GET THOUGH THIS DAY AF

Comment

Newbies Nest

ODAT-
                            Hang in there! I'm rejoining the journey as well. Fight the urge. I'v failed all week but committed to it now. Be well!
                            Sharky

Comment

Newbies Nest

WOW K9!!!! CONGRATULATIONS.

THOSE TWO SAYING HAVE HELPED ME GET THROUGH SOME TOUGH TIMES TOO.

VERY WELL DONE.

AK
                              AF since 1st Sep 2012
                              NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sharky so good to see you! I wish you luck! K9 congrats! You are my idol
                                ALL I HAVE TO DO IS GET THOUGH THIS DAY AF

Comment

Working...
                                X