Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Since we're on the AB subject, I should say I have tried it in the past, along with various other non-craving meds like Campral and Naltrexone. I have to agree with K9 that AB - and all the others for me - are only a TOOL. If you're not committed to stopping drinking it won't help as you can stop taking AB for a week and drink again. However, it was good to curb "impulsive" drinks for me.

This time I have quit without AB and I'm really focusing on changing my thinking about the whole thing. I have really convinced myself (finally, for some reason!) that I don't want to be a drunk anymore with no energy for anything! Every day I wake up and say a little prayer of gratitude that I didn't drink the night before and during the day I notice how good I'm feeling and try to focus on how great it feels not to be drinking. I have not let my mind go to "I wish I could..." and if it starts, I just quickly change my thinking to something else. So far, it has made this quit relatively easy for me - I'm now on day 10.

So, that's my two cents worth on the subject...hope it helps.
    Life is better without Alcohol. 5/26/13

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9 - do you mind sharing some of your experiences going on and off Antabuse in 2011? What were your reasons for stopping the pill? Did you forget sometimes and start drinking again? Did you purposely stop it on occasions with the purpose of starting it back? Or maybe you just thought you could make it on your own without the meds?

Sorry, I don't want to put you on the spot, but I view you as a leader in this journey (along with a lot of other people), and I want to know how you finally made it work with Antabuse.

Can you think of a particular reason that made you realize that you just had to take it and that was that?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Belles, congratulations on your 10 days. I have to agree that the things you are doing are definately effective techniques. Focusing on the gratitude and placing positive things in your life are huge! Is excercise a part of your plan at all? This is a HUGE help for me, especially if my mood dips down a bit. You sound so positive, and I just want to let you know that I think you are on the right path!

Friends, just go back and read Byrdie's post about putting some time in and just trust that your thinking will change. It HAS to take some time, because we all spent too much time drinking. Healing is a process, in my experience.

Starfish, Rooni, Lolab, Honeysoup, K9, Dottie, Lavande, Overit, (I know I missed a bunch of people, but I read all your posts everyday and I am right here along with you all,) great to see you all.

Have a great AF day.
        "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
        AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Rooni!

I am really hoping 3rd time is a charm here...I had 2 LOOONG responses written and accidentally erased them. I didn't even know that was possible...I guess it's the ESC button or something. Anyway...I do not mind sharing at all. I started "messing with" AB in about 2010. I had this vision that it would be a magic pill...I'd take it and viola! I'd be cured! Yeah...not so much. That's what they mean when they say "dry drunk"...you're sober but you ain't happy about it! See the secret is that you HAVE to be ready to quit. You have to want it more than anything. You have to work on it every single day. You have to think of it above all else, sometimes is can be seen as selfish, but really, drinking was the selfish thing.

As far as my on/off love/hate relationship with AB (lol), I would take it for 2-3 weeks or a month, then I'd decide I wasn't that bad after all, so I'd PLAN to not take it...I'd track the hours and minutes since my last dose until I could safely, or a few times not so safely, drink. A time or two I drank too early and I thought I was going to die. Byrdie described my reaction as something out of Poltergeist...that about sums it up, my head was spinning around and I was projectile vomiting. I seriously have never experienced anything like it. A lesser reaction is "only" a flushed face, rapid heartbeat and trouble breathing...that one ain't no picnic either. And the fact is, you CANNOT get drunk with AB in your system...it blocks the alcohol from being absorbed by your liver. So my extremely long winded point is this: I was tired of messing with it. I got tired of trying to count hours and minutes and taking tentative sips of beer and timing it to see if there was going to be a reaction (20 minutes, tops). I just got flat out tired of it! This is what I mean when I say that I was finally able to quit when drinking became harder than not drinking. I have no plans to quit AB in the forseeable future. I do take it less frequently, but I keep it in my body at all times. I've never had a reaction to anything except, you guessed it, alcohol.

I hope this ramble made some sort of sense. I got a little flustered after losing 2 posts, and then the Mayor called me into his office twice because he is technically challenged. LOL

Let me know if you need more info!
          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie,my thoughts and prayers are with you...your dad should certainly be proud of his daughter :l:l:l
            af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just checking in, as it is my witching hour and I need to make myself strong. Just being here briefly helps. Gotta get the dinner going...everyone is home. Got my cranberry juice/soda going. I will be back in awhile.

I will NOT drink Al! There, I am committed.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Do not drink, New Day! Trust me, you do not want to start over at Day 1 tomorrow. I am on Day 1 today, and I've been having feelings of panic, anxiety, guilt, shame, and remorse all day. I've not done a damn thing at work, and I keep thinking that everyone is on to me.

These feelings are for the birds.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you so much, K9, and I'm sorry you kept losing your post. Hate it when that happens!!

I sure have thought a lot about Antabuse today. I think I just need to work on getting some AF days behind me and get my head straight. I'm a mixed up mess right now, and all I know is that I need to get myself together at work and in my personal life.

First and foremost, my goal right now is to stay as far away from alcohol as I can get. I plan to get another 30 AF free days behind me. Then I'm going on my vacation to California, where I plan to continue being AF.

I feel really confident that I can do this. I just have to!

:thanks:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Holy Crap! I just watched some of the documentary posted in General Discussion "Rain in my Heart" Oh my gosh. I'm going to have to rewatch several times 1) to understand some of the talk, it is a foreign accent to me 2) to wrap my head around it. Holy Crap! I'm just stunned.

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Newbies Nest

I just watched "Rain in My Heart" too. Shocking. So sad. My husband walked in while I was watching and said, "You seem to be very upset." I told him that I am terribly upset. Crap!!
                        Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                        pointed the way
                        with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Rooni......I am determined not to. Coming here helps.
                          Overit....I haven't been to that part of MYO. You've got my curiosity up, but I'm not so sure I want to see whatever you did....you seem a little freaked out by it!

Have my tea and looking forward to watching BIg Bang Theory.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Hope everyone had a good day

New Day, I think everyone should watch the 'Rain in My Heart' documentary - a real eye opener!

Rooni, did you see the link I posted last night? It's a good one.....
                            Handling urges to drink - Rethinking Drinking - NIAAA

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                            Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pinecone;1437624 wrote: Belles, congratulations on your 10 days. I have to agree that the things you are doing are definately effective techniques. Focusing on the gratitude and placing positive things in your life are huge! Is excercise a part of your plan at all? This is a HUGE help for me, especially if my mood dips down a bit. You sound so positive, and I just want to let you know that I think you are on the right path!

Friends, just go back and read Byrdie's post about putting some time in and just trust that your thinking will change. It HAS to take some time, because we all spent too much time drinking. Healing is a process, in my experience.

Starfish, Rooni, Lolab, Honeysoup, K9, Dottie, Lavande, Overit, (I know I missed a bunch of people, but I read all your posts everyday and I am right here along with you all,) great to see you all.

Have a great AF day.
                              Pinecone, I am planning to start my exercise routine Monday. I am also going to work on developing some non drinking hobbies. I am positive, but I am also still keeping my fingers crossed...I know I need to keep my guard up as the Al Beast is very sneaky and can creep up when I least expect it.

Thanks for the ,words of encouragement, I value every bit of advice!
                              Life is better without Alcohol. 5/26/13

Comment

Newbies Nest

Miss you all...and it looks like we picked up some New-Newbies. I'll get back to work here very soon. Looking forward to it.

Happy New Year and thanks for the notes (you know who you are).
                                -Fin

(Cat and so many others - My god, well done!!!)
                                Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                                Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Working...
                                X