Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

The recycling bin story reminds me of my friend Margaret. She went through wine bottles like toilet paper. Whenever the recycling truck came by, she would always go to the window and see if any neighbors were outside to hear the bottles going "chang chang chang!!"

We all laughed about it, but it's really not funny at all, now is it?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Overit...have you noticed fewer bags under your eyes, too? Bahha. Not kidding, tho....my skin cleared up a lot. My handwriting improved and so did my eyesight?! I had to get new glasses because they got better...maybe I was just glazed over when I went to the eye dr...UGG.
      I bumped up the thread, You Might be an Alcoholic if..... Some sad, but funny stories in there...many about our empty's stash, recycling and rotating liquor stores...SAD/TRUE. K9's cellmate, Diablo is mentioned as well. B
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

[QUOTE=K9Lover;1441239]Hi Nesters!

...On the subject of exercising, I used to be the workout queen...

As "My Mood" indicates, I am feeling CHATTY today. Fortunately (for all of you), I am usually quiet and introverted. Though (now that I think about it) I have been chirping quite a lot in The Nest ever since my arrival. I'm not able to understand why.

I started to exercise on my first day of recovery, and this is why: My drinking career took me from 110 pounds to 220 pounds in 18 months. (Just in case anyone out there does not realise this, please know that beer is very fattening, especially when consumed at gallons per hour. :nutso

The reason that I started drinking in the first place was to offset anxiety. So, I could reason that the one thing that would tempt me to take up the bottle again would be anxiety. For me, exercise is a strong antidote for anxiety. I didn't want to exercise. I dreaded the very thought of it!! The only thing I dreaded more was the possibility of taking up the bottle again.

Back in the day, before alcohol and tent dresses, I practiced Hot Yoga. So that's what I decided to do again. Did I want to walk into the yoga studio at 220 pounds? No, I certainly did not!! I knew that all of the thin and beautiful yogis would look at me and judge me hashly. But I told myself that my job was to make them feel even more thin and more beautiful.

I could hardly exercise at all on January 1st. But I knew that 90 minutes of exercise in a room heated to 105 degrees would wring every bit of anxiety out of me. Mostly, I just had to lay on my mat and try to breathe. At first I thought, "I am a fat and ugly pig." But I decided not to think that way anymore. I changed my mantra to: "I am alive. I am in this yoga studio. It is a miracle." That is what I choose to think over and over during class.

I still can hardly do anything in class. But that doesn't matter. What matters is that I control my anxiety. And I get a tiny bit better with the poses each day. I'm not in a big hurry. I spent my life, prior to drinking, as one of the "thin and beautiful" people. It's not that great. When we grow up it is time to put away childish ways, yes?

Okay, I've got to study or I WILL get kicked out of this "institution of higher learning." Actually, the very best education comes from The School of Hard Knocks.

Bye for Now :wavin:
        Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
        pointed the way
        with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

I was the "clang, clang" girl in my neighborhood. My hubs drinks Bud Light in the can, and so does all of his friends. We have to go to another town to recycle so it doesn't seem SO strange when we show up twice a year with 10 huge bags of cans. The bottles would take up too much room so those went with the garbage "clang, clang".

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Newbies Nest

I used to think I was greatest and craftyest in hiding botles than sneaking them to recycle bin wrapped in newspaper and whatnot......wifey would ask how many beers did you have yesterday or while she was away? Oh not many maybe 4-5.... Dumb ass me didn't know she had gone to the recycle bin and counted them! 26 I believe... She knew the answer when she asked. Needless to say my credability is shot with that. Resorted to hiding them and sneaking to trash at work, car wash etc... The guilt finally got me plus I know it is a matter of time when that trick is exposed. Crafty when we are drunk aren't we.
            No more

Sharky

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh yes, seems we all had ways to deal with our empties! I took to buying boxed wine...4litres in a box and much easier to dispose of.....no clang, clang..LOL!

Great job on your 7 days Rooni and Breezy! Keep racking up those AF days! Feeling much better I will bet! I know I do!

Just spent the afternoon at emergency with my father in law.....lots of issues after he had another fall on dec 30. Hopefully they will admit him until he gets strong enough to be able to come home. My MIL is his caregiver and she's 87 years old....getting too much for her
              I'm only explaining this because the stress of today would normally have me running home to a bottle of wine+. NOT going to happen tonight! Had I not had the Nest to fly to, I might have (most likely would have).

Got t get dinner started....so I'll pour that cranberry juice/soda and think of everyone here. Thank you all!

Comment

Newbies Nest

New Day, good for you for facing stressful situations without the bottle!

It's the end of Day 7 for me, and I am sober. And I'm loving it! :dancin:

Comment

Newbies Nest

ya rooni! What's your previous string of days? Mine was 10 once, and 4 twice, since I started drinking 9 years ago.

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey there, Overit! I started drinking back in high school (mid 80s), so I've been at it for a very long time!

The longest sober stretches I've had have been very recent (since August of 2012) - 47 days and then 32 days. But now I can't seem to make it past 10 or 12 days - until now. I am going to beat that 47-day mark and keep going this time!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rooni....I'm older than you (my high school years were early 70s...yikes!). Serious drinking other than party and weekend binges began in the 90s ...when my kids were hitting their teen years.
                      Longest I can remember being Af is the 8 days I did last month. Had lots of 4 - 5 day attempts.
                      So tomorrow will be double digits for me.
                      Overit, I'm glad the Antabuse is working for you. But like you have said, taking it gives you no alternative. Are there any side effects?

Comment

Newbies Nest

New Day-there can be, but I haven't had any. 1) if you drink alcohol, you'll be sorry. Then others have talked about the possibility of any food that contains vinegar and cleaning products that contain alcohol. When I clean I am wearing gloves, taking no chances. Also, there is alcohol (or vinegar) in lotions, hair products, BBQ sauce, Ketchup etc but NONE of it has bothered me and doesn't bother some people. I have used an eye glass cleaner tissue that contained alcohol and was fine. I have not tried the sterile wipes that they have at the grocery store to wipe down carts nor the hand cleaner stuff. Now, I am taking a very low does of AB so I don't know if that has anyting to do with my not having any reactions.

AF since 12/26/13

Comment

Newbies Nest

That's great! Glad it is working so well for you.

Comment

Newbies Nest

All of a sudden I'm feeling my age New Day - I graduated from high school in '71 - ouch!

Regardless of my age I am in as good shape (almost) as I can be at this point. Certainly a lot healthier & happier with the burden of addictions

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                            Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Greetings to All,

Not sure whether to say goodnight or good morning. It's 2:00 a.m. and I'm going to bed for a few hours of sleep.

New Day - Very sorry about your FIL and all of your stress. So glad you are staying away from AL and staying in The Nest!!

Star - I'm relieved that you did not find an old empty in your cedar chest. Whew!!

Overit - You can write legibly again. Hooray! And you are almost at 30 days AF!!

Daisy - So happy to have you in The Nest!!

Kairos, odat, and rooni - You are amazing and you are loved!!

To ALL of my fellow nest-dwellers, stay safe and strong and sober. :goodjob:
                              Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                              pointed the way
                              with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hiya to all the newbies,

Quick check-in, great to see everyone doing so well

Day 14 for me, wish i could say im feeling fantastic, i do not. Still tired and a bit cranky.
                                However, im grateful to have made it this far and willing to stick at it because i do believe no matter how dodgy im feeling now holds nothing to how i would be feeling if i were drinking. I believe things will get better, its just gonna take some time.

Im learning to be more patient and kind with myself.

Be well everyone xo

Comment

Working...
                                X