X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

CONGRATS to sweetpea on 14 AF days :yay:
    You will be feeling better real so so please just hang in there & be sure to maintain that attitude of gratitude

New Day, dealing with aging parents is rough I know. My parents & in-laws are all gone now & it was hard dealing with all that. I'm afraid there is nothing we can do but offer support & take care of ourselves too.

Wishing everyone a fantastic AF Thursday!
    Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sweetpea - congratulations on 14 Days!

I'm now on Day 17 so we're on the same track! This can be a great year for us. I have had my ups and downs this week - but nothing compared to how down I'd feel if I gave up and started drinking again.

New Day - I'm dealing with ageing parents too - and one with Alzheimers. It is NOT easy - but it's part of life. At least I'm out of the fog to deal with it all now.

Have a great AF day in the Nest everyone!
      Life is better without Alcohol. 5/26/13

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Friends, And a big congratulations to all of you for racking up those AL-free days! :goodjob:
        I know we all come in at different stages and progress differently in our physical recovery. At the beginning, some have real sleep problems, some have flu-like symptoms, some are just plain tired! All of this passes with a little time and your life will be SO MUCH better within just a few short weeks, no matter what your symptoms are.
        It's very important, like, Lav says to maintain that attitude of gratitude and try not to compare your rate of recovery with others.
        I know one benefit that I think we all probably share from the very beginning and that is saving a considerable amount of money. This was one "plus" I tried to realize when I felt I wasn't progressing. I estimate that I have easily saved over $500 since Oct. 1, when I consider not only the money I saved on AL, but on the money I blew on buying fast food and other "drunk" purchases and the gasoline money I wasted-taking the LONNGG way home :upset:

Stay Strong nesters!
        :h
        :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nesters...Star, you are so right...this is a battle that takes many phases of strategy to win. The money thing shouldn't be downplayed...it costs a lot to keep up the habit.

There is price, and then there is cost. The price was about $10 a day...the cost was almost my life. It's worth the fight and inconvenience...I was much more inconvenienced by my drinking than I am in being sober...(if you think about it).

Hope everyone has an easy day. Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning fellow Nesters......Star....on the dollar savings, I figure in the past 10 days, I've saved $100... Our booze is $ here in Canada with all the taxes!

Wow....might treat myself to something!

Off to the hospital. Catch up with u all later!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Overit has 30 days! congrats over it! I know it feels great!
              ALL I HAVE TO DO IS GET THOUGH THIS DAY AF

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hope
                Knows no fear.

Hope dares to blossom
                Even inside the abysmal abyss.

Hope secretly feeds
                And strengthens
                Promise.

- Sri Chinmoy

Good Morning All, You will be in my thoughts today. Thank you for your companionship on this journey. Tess
                Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                pointed the way
                with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning nesters,
                  Sorry I have been MIA..really busy at work then last night was the Alzheimer's support group then my laptop was behaving badly. But day 10 so making progress and thinking of u all.
                  Dottie
                  Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Overit....I've been in the prize closet all night trying to make a hat that will accomodate your bag! On behalf of the entire Newbie's Nest, please accept this major award!!!

:day5:

This is a very small token of a HUGE milestone. Did you ever think that 30 days ago you'd be giving advice on how to stay sober?? Well done, my dear. Do you have a few words for those folks who are just flying in? Can you tell us what you've learned?

We are SO proud of you!!! Here's to a lifetime of sobriety!!! XXOO, B
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

YA! Thanks everyone and for the modified hat Byrdie.

I was thinking about my sobriety this morning. The things I've noticed are small but they are adding up. I have lost 7.2#, I smile, I'm generally nicer to people, definately more calm, more patient, more in love with my hubs than ever before, my hand writing is legible again, I am sleeping like a log, the sun shines brighter, I look forward to what the day holds instead of watching the clock until it gets to an "acceptable" hour to start drinking.

I am still taking my AB. I have no physical or mental cravings at all. But, I don't want to stop taking my AB and get to that day 7 or 14 days where I know it's out of my system and "treat" myself to a drink, just to try it. (the mind can be as evil as the Beast) So, in thinking that, it tells me I'm not ready yet. I say that I will never drink again, that I will not lose this quit for anything, that nothing will be more seductive to me than my quit, but, if I'm wondering about the future still, it's not time yet.

I appreciate everyone here. I'm sorry I don't check in more but I'm at work all day and they don't pay me to be here (WTF?) but I think of you all often and appreciate everything and every kind word that you have given to me and all the wonderful support.

To all the newbies, hang in there, it ain't that bad. The cravings only last a few minutes. It as all in my head. I just had to change my attitude or do something else.

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well done Overit! Feel proud of yourself!

I've been having a very tough week. Not tempted to drink but an emotional mess. I turned up for my alcohol counselling last Friday but my counsellor didn't. I waited about 40 minutes in a dark corridoor just in case. Then I began doubting myself wondering if I had gotten the date or time wrong, but I know I went the correct day and time. I recall thinking it was so soon into the New Year. I was going to call but as it was set up through the hospital and I never had any official numbers or appointment cards, I wasn't even certain who to call. So, I'm going to leave it. But feel pretty let down. Thankfully I didn't have any weak moments over xmas as it would have been a disaster this happening my first appointment back then.

I decided to start bereavement counselling instead which will cost quite a bit of money but I think I need that more now. I've tackled the drinking and I'm doing well but not so well with my grief. I'm just hoping nothing in the counselling sends me down the wrong road. I just have to do something. It's not nice feeling this low and now I can't even blame alcohol for it.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congratulations, Overit :wd: You sound GREAT, you!!!! See it doesn't take long to see real changes. Hey, with losing all that weight, I bet your mask is getting a lil BAGGY :H I think you are wise to keep on with the AB.
                          Hey, my friend Dottie :l Day 10 is AWESOME! Keep up the good work! Don't you feel better?
                          Tess - LOVE the HOPE poem- thanks!
                          Moni- Bless your heart :l I think it is good that you are analyzing your needs and taking positive steps to take care of yourself. We are here for you!
                          New Day- We are actually encouraged to "treat" ourselves for accomplishing our goals...I think it's a great idea for you to buy yourself a lil prize for all your hard work. Let us know what you get!!!

Love to all,
                          Star
                          :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

CONGRATS TO OVERIT & DOTTIE today :yay:
                            Keep it up ladies & be proud of yourselves!

Kinda quiet around here today, hope everyone is OK & on plan
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'll be hanging out here tonight. Sorry to be a chronic newbie and I hope no one is angry. I am going to continue to try. Reading back on Byrdie and K9 and others post I am not the only one who has struggled but the differance i see is some stayed and kept trying and others left and they did not get to have long term soberity which is what i want so here I stay and hope that I will get it. I have downloaded hypnosis mp3 to my Ipod which i will start tonight and guided meditation which i will start tonight also. Thanks for your patients.
                              ALL I HAVE TO DO IS GET THOUGH THIS DAY AF

Comment

Newbies Nest

ODAT-I'll be thinking of you tonight.

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Working...
                                X