Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

I'm good. We had a super crazy holiday season as usual. At one point it was 8 nights in a row going out and then we hosted 18 people for dinner on X-Mas day and on and on. I was holding steady AF until I drove out to Kansas with some old buddies to bird hunt. That killed me. Damn. I was 33 days into a really solid AF routine. I have no idea how I'm going to stay off AL long term. I guess it really does come one day at a time. Well, here we go -- Day 1!

Thanks as always for being so welcoming / supportive. I count you all as a blessing.

-Fin
    Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
    Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sometimes, even for the first few months, Fin- we have to protect ourselves by not engaging in activities that we used to associate with drinking. It's too easy to cave. You'll get it, friend!
      :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Starfish1;1443790 wrote: Sometimes, even for the first few months, Fin- we have to protect ourselves by not engaging in activities that we used to associate with drinking. It's too easy to cave. You'll get it, friend!
        Star-that's exactly what I was talking about with the "habit" of drinking. so far I haven't had to be in a social drinking situation, except at my house with hubs and his buddies. For that, I just don't go in the man cave with them that often and when I do I make sure I have a glass of D-7UP in hand. There was the day we got to leave work early, I stayed and worked. This weekend with work was an old/new challenge but I tackled it. Just one habit at a time, then phew, got through that one and cross that one off the list.

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Newbies Nest

"I cannot control how I am perceived, I can only control how I am presented."

Mein-that is great! Very true and very relevant to a situation that I am going through at the moment. (stupid family)

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yes, I had to be in a social situation, just last weekend, and even having 3 months AF, I was challenged. I would have gotten out of it (the party) if I could have- that's how tough I think it is to subject ourselves to that kind of temptation and how important I think it is to protect the quit. It's just not worth it!
            :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Friends, just a short check in.

New Day, I am so thrilled for you that you made it through that "tight spot." That situation is one that has derailed many before you.

Moni, belated congratulations on your 60 days!

Hi Fin, welcome back!

See you all later on!
              "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
              AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh, just cross posted. Welcome back Fin! So glad you are back here with us. Overit, I think you are going to be sorry you asked.....

Feeling pretty panicky today. Day 44. Time is running out for me. My husband wants me to give notice on the 1st, to liquidate everything and come home. I am still afraid to leave, because everthing is still so unsettled with my son. He is in his own place, and has his job, but there have been several major episodes that have alarmed me. He has not been taking his niacin, which keeps any schizophrenic episodes in check. Or least they have for the last year.

I'm so afraid, that everything is starting to fall apart. After a year of work, stress and expense to get him back to functioning, with a job and his first place of his own. I am just terrified what's going to happen when it all falls apart and I am far away.

He will never be able to pull himself up off the street when he is delusional. He would not even be able to rationally assess his situation or how to get out of it. I'm just overwhelmed and don't know what to do. Any and all prayers are welcome. Thanks for letting me vent.
                AF since 12/2/12
                http://hamsnetwork.org/taper/

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Almost,

Im very sorry to hear of your troubles. What you are going through sounds like a living nightmare. Does your son have a doctor who could talk with him re importance of meds? Or are there any mental health support groups in the area?

Will say a prayer for you and him, Take care :l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks, Sweetpea. No, he is very hostile to the doctors. I was taking him for therapy, with a group of other schizophrenics, five days a week, in addition to weekly apointments with psychiatrists, social workers, his bail guy and his court dates. Once he had complied with everything, over the course of months, the charges were dismissed and he no longer has to comply. He won't see anyone now.

I have told him endlessly that they are critical to maintaining everything he has gained. At first it was carelessness, but once he has started the slide into an 'episode', he becomes belligerent about not taking them.

I know there are no good solutions, but thanks for your kind words and prayers. They are truly appreciated.
                    AF since 12/2/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Almost Free-I can't even imagine. Too bad there isn't like a half-way house to live in where they dispense his medicine to him daily. Thinking of you today.

AF since 12/26/13

Comment

Newbies Nest

Almost, Im assuming your in the states, do you have a thing called sectioning? Its a process whereby an individual who may be deemed as a risk to themselves or others due to mental ill-health can be taken into hospital for the appropriate treatment and care.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Overit,

They do have halfway houses, but will not let him in unless he is on THEIR meds. They are very hostile to the non-pharmaceutical approach, even though Dr. Hoffer was head of psychiatric research and had been using the niacin for over 50 years, with over 5,000 patients, with great results. He was doing tremendously better than the others in his group. There are also long term health issues with being on the meds he was on. Same with most of the other meds I researched. They said that he would be a bad example to the others, who may want to discontinue their meds, too. Oh, sorry if he's doing a hundred times better than your patients, and is actually able to live a normal life!
                          AF since 12/2/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sweetpea, I'm from the States, but not there currently. The only thing they have there (or here) is a 72 hour hold. They generally observe them, put them on heavy meds and then release them. Most patients feel so lousy, they stop taking them cold turkey, instead of weaning off, and this brings on another attack, sometimes with additional brain damage. Trying not to go there......
                            AF since 12/2/12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Almost free...maybe there are online forums for his problem...as you can see, none of us know how to help you. Ask us about a craving, and we are right here for you, but this is beyond our area of expertise....have you checked around to see if there are others in your same position...parents of such and such? How are YOU doing? How are you able to stay sober thru all of this? Wishing you all the best!! (but feelling pretty helpless and useless for you). B
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh that answers my question Finally Done. Dealing with mental illness is very difficult for family members of sufferers, I hope in any case that there is support that you can access for yourself?

Thinking of you xo

Comment

Working...
                                X