Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Tess-2;1445825 wrote: RC - Of course you went right back to driving under the influence. If I were to swig down a six-pack in the next hour or so (It wouldn't take any longer than that!), I would get in my car and head for the store for more beer. Once I start drinking I absolutely cannot stop. And once I am drunk I lose the ability to make wise decisions. It's when I sober up a bit that the FEAR sets in.

I am so happy and grateful -- happy and grateful
    -- that I have been sober for 17 days and that I am sober at this very moment.

On January 1st (my first day of sobriety) my husband and I watched The Way We Were (Redford and Streisand) on TV. It seemed like alcohol was being consumed in nearly every scene. Alcohol IS romanticized -- which is very sad and tragic.
    Oh Tess2-I could have written every word you just said. And TV? It's crazy, I had never noticed it until now.

New Day-I just worry that we put so much stock into "what number day it is" that when we reach that goal, there will be a let down. Nothing happnes, no bells ring, no confetti falls, it's just another day. Make sure you keep your guard up. No rewarding yourself with AL.

Siren-I would find a differnet route home. I've tried to change things up to break the habit. Burn some awesome calories tonight. Wondering if you'll feel different?

Good night everyone.

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tess-2;1445825 wrote: RC - Of course you went right back to driving under the influence. If I were to swig down a six-pack in the next hour or so (It wouldn't take any longer than that!), I would get in my car and head for the store for more beer. Once I start drinking I absolutely cannot stop. And once I am drunk I lose the ability to make wise decisions. It's when I sober up a bit that the FEAR sets in.
      This is exactly why tapering never worked for me. I'd start out with the best intentions, but by beer 4 or 5 all bets were off and I was pulling on my good ol' ripped up yoga pants to go flash the guy at the liquor store.
      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Looking thru some baby pics of Stella & her girls

AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9,
          I'm so glad you have changed your wayward ways
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

I was so terrified of running out of wine during an evening .....I did not know, and did not want to find out how I would react, so I always made sure I had plenty of wine on hand. Even if my cheap stuff in the big box was only 1/2 empty, I would make sure to get a back up the next day.
            AL just takes over your life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh Lav.....baby chicks soooo cute! Aren't all babies!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everybody!

Welcome First Day Of, it's great to have you with us. This place is an amazing support system, and it produces success day after AF day. For stress, I remove myself from the situation and go excercise. Sitting and stewing is not good for me. There are some great threads here about weekends if you poke around. Jenniech (pretty sure that is the username) posted a good one a while back.

Siren, it is great to see you today. Have a great spin class! Wave that finger!

K9, thank you for that powerful post. Lest we forget the awful crap we have done while drinking...

NewDay, Tess, Overit, RC, Techie, Lav, Byrdie and Lola, it is so great to see you all here today and read your words. "Coming here" after work and sharing this space with you is as enjoyable as it is important to me. Thanks to all for being here. Have a great AF night, friends!
                "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

I think it is good in early sobriety to write a gratitude list.

Mine was,

I have my health, home, job, children, peace, food, comfort, freedom and future.

Simply quitting ONE thing allows me to keep all of these. Continuing that one thing will cost me ALL of these things.

Not a bad trade IMO

Comment

Newbies Nest

The attitude of gratitude helped me too Kuya, still does

New Day, I need to go back & look at the chick pics to remember how sweet they once were. Now I have a big bunch of stinky chickens with very muddy feet :H

Hi Pinecone!

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

kuya;1445894 wrote: I think it is good in early sobriety to write a gratitude list.

Mine was,

I have my health, home, job, children, peace, food, comfort, freedom and future.

Simply quitting ONE thing allows me to keep all of these. Continuing that one thing will cost me ALL of these things.

Not a bad trade IMO
                      Outstanding Kuya! I copied this and started a notebook on my iPad to remind myself when the going gets tough. There are so many others that I should have done this with as well.....but this resonated with me so much, I actually started the file. :thanks:
                      Safe night in the nest everyone........and Kuya.......have a great day!

Comment

Newbies Nest

kuya;1445894 wrote: I think it is good in early sobriety to write a gratitude list.

Mine was,

Not a bad trade IMO

Yes! That's exactly it, kuya. The ONE thing, ALCOHOL, robs us of all that is good and delightful in life. And to quit that ONE thing, to turn from it and never look back, is to GAIN all that is good in life.

My hubby gave me a card when we were dating -- long before AL was ever a part of my thought process -- and it said, in part, When you appeared, all that was thought to be lost was suddenly found

All that appeared to be lost was suddenly found...

You see, ALL of my beloved fellow "problem drinkers" that is -- alcoholics. We only need to turn from the ONE miserable thing: ALCOHOL.

And we help each other to turn away. And writing a Gratitude List helps us to turn.inkele:
                        Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                        pointed the way
                        with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pinecone;1445874 wrote: Hi Everybody!

Welcome First Day Of, it's great to have you with us. This place is an amazing support system, and it produces success day after AF day. For stress, I remove myself from the situation and go excercise. Sitting and stewing is not good for me. There are some great threads here about weekends if you poke around. Jenniech (pretty sure that is the username) posted a good one a while back.

Siren, it is great to see you today. Have a great spin class! Wave that finger!

K9, thank you for that powerful post. Lest we forget the awful crap we have done while drinking...

NewDay, Tess, Overit, RC, Techie, Lav, Byrdie and Lola, it is so great to see you all here today and read your words. "Coming here" after work and sharing this space with you is as enjoyable as it is important to me. Thanks to all for being here. Have a great AF night, friends!
                          Pinecone - Sweet Dreams. Tomorrow will be another peaceful AF day. I "get" the exercise piece. Sleep Well.
                          Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                          pointed the way
                          with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

I forgot to mention earlier.......(as I've stats previously, I haven't said anything to hubby about my quit, and I as surprised he hadn't said anything yet). Well, tonight as I was pouring my cranberry juice for dinner, he asks why I wasn't drinking wine. He said, I noticed you didn't have any Saturday night. He only noticed Saturday!!! I told him I haven't had any since New Year's Eve (and then it was only 2 glasses, because I as babysitting and want to bed at 10:30pm!
                            He asked if I was okay. I guess he thought maybe there was a medical reason I wasn't drinking. I told him I as just taking a break from it. He caught me off guard and I didn't know what else to say. I guess he misses to some extent the odd glass that he'd have with dinner with me. But he would only have that one glass!
                            I think I'll just leave at that unless he presses me for more. Any thoughts anyone?

Comment

Newbies Nest

New Day;1445903 wrote: I forgot to mention earlier.......(as I've stats previously, I haven't said anything to hubby about my quit, and I as surprised he hadn't said anything yet). Well, tonight as I was pouring my cranberry juice for dinner, he asks why I wasn't drinking wine. He said, I noticed you didn't have any Saturday night. He only noticed Saturday!!! I told him I haven't had any since New Year's Eve (and then it was only 2 glasses, because I as babysitting and want to bed at 10:30pm!
                              He asked if I was okay. I guess he thought maybe there was a medical reason I wasn't drinking. I told him I as just taking a break from it. He caught me off guard and I didn't know what else to say. I guess he misses to some extent the odd glass that he'd have with dinner with me. But he would only have that one glass!
                              I think I'll just leave at that unless he presses me for more. Any thoughts anyone?
                              Wait til you have more confidence in your quit, then explain. Accountability will help you keep your quit

Comment

Newbies Nest

New Day;1445903 wrote: I forgot to mention earlier.......(as I've stats previously, I haven't said anything to hubby about my quit, and I as surprised he hadn't said anything yet). Well, tonight as I was pouring my cranberry juice for dinner, he asks why I wasn't drinking wine. He said, I noticed you didn't have any Saturday night. He only noticed Saturday!!! I told him I haven't had any since New Year's Eve (and then it was only 2 glasses, because I as babysitting and want to bed at 10:30pm!
                                I'm not telling anyone I quit because I have a problem yet, either. I plan to tell people I quit because I want to lose some weight and that alcohol has too many calories. No one knows the extent of my drinking - I'm a closet drinker, too.
                                Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X