Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

NoSugar, just re-reading your story again (wanted to give a shout out first thing). You very well may decide in the future that you do want to moderate your intake, but you should have some serious AF time under your belt so that you know it's your decision and not the alcohol talking. I plan to moderate eventually, but not for at least 4 months of being AF. So I would advise you to make a plan to be completely free of AL, with no thoughts of a potential drinking future. Get rid of all the alcohol in your house (down the drain). Visit the tool box to get a lot of great ideas on moving forward alcohol free.

Stay close to the Nest and post a lot. Don't be shy. This is a warm, supportive group who have seen it all before and can offer great advice. Best of all we will be rooting you on all the way.
    Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Newbies Nest

[QUOTE=Siren136;1448601]You very well may decide in the future that you do want to moderate your intake, but you should have some serious AF time under your belt so that you know it's your decision and not the alcohol talking. I plan to moderate eventually, but not for at least 4 months of being AF. So I would advise you to make a plan to be completely free of AL, with no thoughts of a potential drinking future. UOTE]

This is actually what Moderation Management (another group I used to be involved in) wants you to do. AF for at least 30 days.

I never saw AF for 30 days. Don't think I could Moderate. Wish so, but I just love that buzz too much, and after 30 days AF, I know I would get a rush, and would be right back there wanting more of it.
      I will be sober so I can be clear and remember being a mommy and so I can be in the best place God wants to place me. I will be here! now! FREE! 12.5mg Topamax AM&PM, Ativan until safe from withdrawal syndrome & for anxiety. Thank God I Am Done!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rainyday;1448609 wrote:
        This is actually what Moderation Management (another group I used to be involved in) wants you to do. AF for at least 30 days.

I never saw AF for 30 days. Don't think I could Moderate. Wish so, but I just love that buzz too much, and after 30 days AF, I know I would get a rush, and would be right back there wanting more of it.
        If I decide to I will have rules for myself. No drinking alone. No drinking at home except for very special occasions. No more than 1 drink if I'm driving, or 2 even if I'm not. I've always been a closet drinker, so the first 2 will be huge for me.
        Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Newbies Nest

kuya;1448549 wrote: Tis an odd thing Tess.... Performing this task doesn't make you filled with false pride or sad at your shortcomings.

For me I realised how truly multifaceted I am, we all are. We are all JUST human, and good enough IS good enough.
          (It also made me laugh )

I really struggled to see that I was an alcoholic, ME? NO WAY!

That was another BAD part that I disowned.

Now that I own this disease, accept that I am NO BETTER and NO WORSE than the hobo on the street I can fix it.

But we are NOT the disease, it is just part of the amazing multifaceted brilliant yet flawed human beings that we are...
          Right, kuya, the list made me laugh too. I laughed and cried and then saw the entire picture of me: another "ordinary" human being on this journey of life. Warts and all, as the saying goes. Miraculous and all too, I say. Life is a miracle!

AF Day 22 has been a real struggle for me. Not so terrible as Day 1, but non-stop cravings. In my International Business class, champagne was mentioned by the professor (being produced, of course, in France). Suddenly I thought, "Ah... champagne!! It sounds so wonderful. I really would like to have some. I would like to have a lot!!

So, once home, I got out my AF plan for the day. I have reviewed the MWO tool box. I will not allow myself to set foot outside of my home. Everything in me wants alcohol. I find it necessary to become the "very strict parent" with myself. No matter the excuses for alcohol that I can come up with: the answer is NO. "Is there any aspect of NO that you do not understand?" I ask myself. Well... okay (mean and awful parent) I get it... No is No... :damn: I won't regret this in the morning!!
          Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
          pointed the way
          with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

In my humble opinion if you plan to moderate you plan to fail.Time and time again I've read posts from people who tried to moderate and ended up back in the nest regretting it.people who use this site are here because they cannot control their alcohol intake,so to my mind planning to drink again after an alcohol free period is a disaster waiting to happen.You are here because alcohol is causing problems in your life,why, unless you are completley nuts,would you go to the trouble and struggle and effort to quit and then plan to start all over again.IF YOU COULD MODERATE ALCOHOL YOU WOULD NOT BE HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.
            (this rant is not aimed at anyone in particular,just my 2 cents worth.)
            AF since october 8th 2012:new

How to get Alcohol free in 6 minutes :H
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you for answering me so quickly!

I am rather an all-or-nothing kind of person and usually very decisive and committed once I've made a decision. I guess that is why I am so puzzled and alarmed by this alcohol struggle.

When I was diagnosed with celiac disease 25 years ago, I never again have knowingly consumed gluten (the grains other that wheat, rye, and barley were eliminated much later). When I got pre-diabetic blood glucose numbers a little over a year ago, that was it for sugar and most carbs (and the glucose numbers came down). This alcohol thing must be a must bigger monster because while the threat of disease (diabetes) or feeling awful (gluten) straightened me up right away, alcohol makes me feel totally bad because I consume it in excess and is associated with so many horrible diseases. I feel like the logical part of my brain has been hijacked! I probably will need to be AF given my poor ability to be moderate. Somehow I need to internalize this and never waiver. I see that many of you have managed to do that and that is my goal.

By the way, carbs are not essential for exercise as I am quite an avid exerciser. See Phinney and Volek's The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance.

I will be back later to read more. Thank you.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Siren...just a question....didn't you already have rules for yourself when you got here? I sure did...and I kept breaking them. Then I'd make more rules and break those. I don't know, people are different....I always say if you sail thru these first 30 days and don't give a thought to AL morning, noon and night...maybe moderation is the right thing for you. But if you're like me, white knuckling to get thru to bed time, counting the slow hours and minutes and agonzing thru the witching hour...well, you might want to pull up a twig. B
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

I did have "rules", but no support to get through the first few days/weeks. First thing's first - the weight must come off and that will be at least 4-6 months. So no worries of me making it to 30 days. I will be here a long time. And I'm perfectly fine with that. For now, I am happy happy happy to be alcohol free.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Siren136;1448614 wrote: If I decide to I will have rules for myself. No drinking alone. No drinking at home except for very special occasions. No more than 1 drink if I'm driving, or 2 even if I'm not. I've always been a closet drinker, so the first 2 will be huge for me.
                    These rules sound similar to the ones I had for myself. 2 DUI's, a few jail stints, and $25,000 later, I realized they didn't work.
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Siren136;1448651 wrote: I am happy happy happy to be alcohol free.
                      May you stay happy for the rest of your life :goodjob:
                      AF since october 8th 2012:new

How to get Alcohol free in 6 minutes :H
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9 is that your baby????? Gosh, yall look like sisters!!!!!
                        No Sugar, Welcome! Gosh, I don't feel qualified to talk to you, you are so disciplined in your diet. I ate candy and chips to carry me thru. I know many have taken the healthy approach and you will be hearing from them shortly....Kuya wrote the book on the nutritional side of this thing...Whatever the reasons....we're glad you're here with us to share this journey. B
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yep that's my Baby Boo! :H She's taller than me....just to clarify, she's on the right, I'm on the left. LOL
                          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rules have clearly failed me.
                            I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9Lover;1448671 wrote: Yep that's my Baby Boo! :H She's taller than me....just to clarify, she's on the right, I'm on the left. LOL
                              What beautiful Woman...inside and out! You could be sisters!
                              Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Newbies Nest

jenniech;1448674 wrote: Rules have clearly failed me.
                                I spent years making rules about drinking. I'd set certain days, times amounts etc etc. Even measuring out in onces my daily allowance...:H :H Everytime I would end up in a day or two breaking them. Alcohol was just plan and simple....MORE POWERFUL THAN I WAS. I know that I can not drink alcohol. Not now, not evre!

Since I've accepted that my world keeps getting better and better. I stay focused on what I can do...and that's almost anything now that AL is out of my life. I wish you well Jenn! :goodjob: You came to the right place, 4 sure!
                                Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Working...
                                X