Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

NoSugar;1458007 wrote: There is alot of support for your weak spots here! Stay in touch and good luck, Fin!
    Thanks, NoSugar. This is my third or forth trip through the nest -- 14 days, 28 days and then 33 days. Seems like no matter what I do the constant voice my ego is screaming is knock this AL shit off. So, here I am AGAIN licking my wounds. My goal right now is to just get through the first week. That's all I can handle right now.

Thanks again, all -
    The Fin
    Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
    Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hiya Fin...you'll get it. I'm glad you're back.
      ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kradle...GULP, you want ME to help you with a computer question? Well...ok.

May the least qualified person step up to help Miss Kradle? Here I am!!!

There may be a way to do both at the same time, but I don't know what that'd be, so slow and easy wins the race, right?
        So you are here in the Newbies' Nest, so take your cursor up to the wayyyy upper left hand corner where the http address is showing......when your cursor is over it, it'll highlight it...then right click that address and a window pops up with things to do...choose COPY. Now, close up shop....just hop off and go to the top of a page in the nest...then hit USER CP in the line Between Reply to Thread and Reply to thread...see it? click that...then go into Edit signature...place your cursor where you want the link to appear, like below your AF days or start date...and right click your mouse and that same little menu appears, hit Paste and Voila! the link appears! I had to ADD the '=Tool Box' words to mine...because it just shows up as gobble de gook....do the same with the tool box...I actuallly had to go to the Tool box to get the address...You might be able to just copy and paste from my signature line...but I won't make any promises...It is very handy!!! Hugs! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hells Bells, Fin!! Remember, all you gotta do, is get thru THIS day!!! You can do that!! So glad to see you! B
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Persephone1;1457843 wrote: Hello my fuzzy nesting friends :wings:,

It's the wee hours and I'm awake...and I hope you're all resting peacefully. I've terrible insomnia, though after this I will put on my binaural meditations and hopefully fade off...

I just spent a great deal of time composing my post only to realize that I combined people from different threads, posted it and then noticed I had screwed up royally. I am NOT drunk, I promise! I type it out on a blank sheet first, as sometimes my posts get caught in limbo and I lose them, so this way they are saved. Anyway, I will now post what was intended for the lovely nest...

:welcome: Jimmy, Grade1/2, Ginger and Mimi. Hope that you find inspiration, encouragement and comfort here...The people here are quite wonderful.

AlmostFree & NSugar, I am with you re: AA, I could not hang for various reasons. I consider myself spiritual, but IMO, god has nothing to do with this mess I put myself in and it didn't seem right to place any/all the responsibility on him/her to save me from it/myself. And that was all I heard when I attended. This forum is empowering. It gives us a place to unite, be accountable, and find and use the tools that work for us individually. And that is invaluable. I believe AA does work for some, but recovery, like god/religion is very personal and we each have to find our own way...My Way Out!

OverIt, Byrdie, Kuya and Lav - your attitudes are stellar. You take full responsibility for your sobriety and that is so freakin' powerful! No thing and no person stands in your way. Thank you for your examples.

Jenni, all the best with your flu/conference?will be pulling for you!

Today is day 12 for me and I've had a rough couple of days. Today I had no desire to poison myself, but it's been emotionally draining. I isolated today and regretted it in the evening when it was too late to go anywhere. However, I made a commitment to check in here daily whether I feel like it or not.

This poison is nothing to F around with. I've just begun to see how serious this is and how valuable life is. We cannot afford to give this shit poison another day, another chance to ruin our lives or someone else's. It's so not worth it.

Another day, grateful for this forum and the wonderful people here. :thanks:
            Good Morning Persephone - love your post!! I'm an insomniac too. So... I get a lot of reading done. Sounds like you're a bit of a perfectionist. Yes, I passed that course with flying colors!!

"This poison is nothing to F around with." True statement.

We are happy that you are checking into The Nest daily, whether or not you feel like it. We need you just as much as you need us. We give and receive care, wisdom, support, and a good swift kick in the pants -- as needed. Mostly, we just don't want alcohol to kill us. :bomb:
            Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
            pointed the way
            with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Nesters!

Quick drop in for me right now. Just wanted to say if you haven't seen it, check out that movie called Flight with Denzel Washington. It's the most honest portrayal of alcoholism I've ever seen. I couldn't stop thinking about it even after the movie was over.

Hope ya'll have a great day and I'll drop in later to catch up!

xoxoxoxo
              K9
              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1458017 wrote: Kradle...GULP, you want ME to help you with a computer question? Well...ok.

May the least qualified person step up to help Miss Kradle? Here I am!!!

Byrdie
                We love you, Byrdie!! You take on ANY challenge. And you help me to laugh once in a while. You are priceless!! :woot:

The man pulling radishes
                pointed the way
                with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hippyman;1457988 wrote: Great idea on donating what you no longer need to Charity but I would think twice about giving away something that was given to you as a way of honoring your accomplisments. I hope you'll keep it and someday you will look back at that time in your life thru different eyes. I see life as a school and challenges along the way as lessons to be learned. Have you read the books "Coragous Souls" or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvbkccZArFw[/video]]Robert Schwartz Your Souls Plan - You Are a Holy, Eternal, Courageous Soul - YouTube I'm thinking that we alkies must have signed up for some pretty tuff courses of study? Addiction sure isn't for sillies.

Mornin' Happy Hippy - I've not read the books that you mentioned. But you know that I will now!! Addiction IS for sillies -- However, recovery is for the courageous-of-heart!! :heart: Have a fabulous, bright and colorful
                  , day!! :rockband:

The man pulling radishes
                  pointed the way
                  with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello to all Nesters. This is my second day of accountability and AF. Yesterday was my first day of accountability and I'm happy to announce that I went to the grocery store yesterday evening and didn't buy any AL! I was tempted of course, but I steeled myself and stayed strong, even at the check out counter (in Germany they sell AL next to the candy).

Today has been long. Still snowing like crazy here. I was feeling very good this morning during my German language lesson but not I'm starting to feel my depression. I'm hoping it is hitting hard just because this is day two? I'm ready for my meds to start working again so I can start to cope with this roller coaster (of depression). Since I had class this morning I will have to work later this evening, so that will keep my mind away from AL. I'm also planning a healthy dinner tonight so I hope that will also calm the cravings and depression. I'm hoping to sleep tonight (last night was impossible).

Just want to let you all know that I am happy to be here and I hope I get to know you all more during this journey. I wish everyone a happy AF day!
                    Would you like you, if you met you?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin;1458013 wrote: Thanks, NoSugar. This is my third or forth trip through the nest -- 14 days, 28 days and then 33 days. Seems like no matter what I do the constant voice my ego is screaming is knock this AL shit off. So, here I am AGAIN licking my wounds. My goal right now is to just get through the first week. That's all I can handle right now.

Thanks again, all -
                      The Fin
                      Each of your quits has been longer than the previous one so you can go into this first week with confidence in yourself and faith that there will be understanding friends here to support you no matter what.

Comment

Newbies Nest

NoSugar;1458045 wrote: Each of your quits has been longer than the previous one so you can go into this first week with confidence in yourself and faith that there will be understanding friends here to support you no matter what.
                        Great point! Thank you again! I'm already feeling that unique and required AF confidence to get back to work at this thing. Just gotta get through TODAY.

One inspiring detail to share - I was really desperate for some T.V. last night and watched The Nanny. Holy shit. I thought my evenings were hard with two relatively young kids. Whoa...anyway, one of the struggles this poor family was dealing with was the kids' dependency on pacifiers...way beyond an age when kids should be using these things. Anyway, this hard ass nanny from England took away the pacifiers and good lord, you wouldn't believe the shit storm that followed.

The two kids screamed bloody murder ALL night. I thought, wow...that's how I feel without my IPA to suck down before bed. I then began to think about how childish my habit has been, not much different than these pacifiers theses kids are screaming for. Well, night two rolls around and again, the kids freak out but do eventually fall asleep to the great relief of these two absolutely haggard parents.

I then see myself in the parents -- haggard by the daily internal battle I have with my habit. It's just exhausting...that daily cycle of caving for the pacifier only to rage against myself the next morning for being such a baby. At this point the exhaustion of it all has me back here in the nest with a new perspective - I'm through being a baby and through being an exhausted adult.

PS: In the show, by night three the kids were going right to sleep without ANY complaint. So, get through this day, and then...the next and then...easier and easier...

Be good,
                        Fin
                        Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                        Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mimi-how did the evening go? Any better?

K9-I've had that movie on my mental list to rent. I've heard the same review you gave.

Hi to everyone!

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey, Fin - stick a pacifier in your mouth if it helps keep the booze out!!! :H

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tess-2;1457586 wrote: Overit and NoSugar - friends in sobriety and all things which make common sense. :clapclap: It sounds like there is a balance to be achieved between minding my own business and feeling a somewhat justified sense of anger about alcohol. A balance...

I think I'm going to study the prohibition years. (As if I don't have enough homework already...) But, I have suddenly become GENUINELY interested in that era. Clearly, prohibition did not work. But I want to think about why it didn't work. Well, I just like to think about things. Can't seem to help myself... :question2:
                              So... I did a bit of research into Prohibition. Trust me, not exhaustive research: just a quick look. I found this at albany.edu (some of you in The Nest know that I love poetry):

"Prohibition seemed to be changing the whole family. Before Prohibition, most men drank in saloons. After Prohobition, they began drinking in the home, which exposed the family to the "evils" of alcohol even more so than before. The following poem from Prohibition reveals family life for some families during the time:

Mother's in the kitchen
                              Washing out the jugs;
                              Sister's in the pantry
                              Bottling the suds;
                              Father's in the cellar
                              Mixing up the hops;
                              Johnny's on the front porch
                              Watching for the cops.

The man pulling radishes
                              pointed the way
                              with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

No Sugar!!! Look at YOU with LINKS in your signature line!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could cry...it's makes a NestMum proud to see her babies growing up!!

Just ONE small problem...they don't link!
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X