Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Well, Stacy, now we know you're quitting, too. So park yourself here in the Nest and get comfortable. It's a great place to be. Don't be scared - we've all been through it before.
    Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 8 of accountability... so happy to be here! This morning I was thinking about everyone in the Newbies Nest and how grateful I am for this community. I know without a doubt that if I did not have all of you wonderful people listening to my blabbering on, I would not have made it this far. You all are the support system I needed to finally get well. Thank you!

Yesterday was a strange day. When I posted yesterda morning I was feeling great. By the afternoon I was feeling my depression full force. Maybe it was fatigue, maybe it was work tasks... I don't know. But that is how my depression always is, up and down. Normal, right?! By the time I picked up my dog from daycare and arrived home I had the worst headache and sweets craving. And I have NEVER been a sweets person! I usually crave savory snacks... give me a bag of Doritos and I can kill it in half an hour. I guess this is part of the AL withdrawal? I have seen more than a few of you all post about this feeling. I tried to ignore the craving for both AL and sweets by making a healthy juice with my new juicer and having a (somewhat) healthy sweet snack (lemon sorbet). The closer I got to bedtime the more I NEEDED a glass of wine. The feeling cam out of the blue and hit me up side the head. But... I didn't want to lose any of the progress I made so I headed to the fridge for a bottle of sparkling water. Sure didn't taste as good as wine, but at least I was going through the motions of drinking (or chugging, which is what I would usually do with a wine bottle). Woke up this morning grateful that I didn't give in and vowing to be strong again today.

Plan for today: today is a "juice" day for me. For all three meals I will have the healthy juice I made last night (carrots, apples, blueberries, strawberries, romaine lettuce, ginger). In between the juice I'm having healthy snacks (Greek yogurt with honey, oatmeal and cocunut... and a few slices of turkey salami with cucumber and goats cheese). After work my husband and I will brave the cold to venture to our local ski lift and I will attempt to "telemark" ski again. I'm a good alpine skier but I'm still learning tele skiing. Hope to make it home with no injuries. :-) I will NOT drink any beer at the ski hut and opt for sparkling water. Then I will get into bed early with a good book.

As always, thank you for listening. I hope to one day be as good of a support to everyone who has been supporting me so far. Have a wonderful AF day!

:thanks::thanks::thanks:
      Would you like you, if you met you?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well done MS.... It is amazing how comforting it is to have that plan in place...empowering.

One day at a time, slowly does it.

BTW the sugar cravings are normal, I'm like you and prefer savouries but when I quit I wanted sugar. Do as you plan, fruit and yoghurt as sugar mimics alcohol, screws up your blood alcohol and thereby makes you crave alcohol for the sugar high.

Comment

Newbies Nest

kuya;1461377 wrote: Well done MS.... It is amazing how comforting it is to have that plan in place...empowering.

One day at a time, slowly does it.

BTW the sugar cravings are normal, I'm like you and prefer savouries but when I quit I wanted sugar. Do as you plan, fruit and yoghurt as sugar mimics alcohol, screws up your blood alcohol and thereby makes you crave alcohol for the sugar high.
          Thank you Kuya. Having a plan and being accountable in the Nest really works. I would encourage any Newbies to make a daily plan and write it down on here. It seems to make it official by putting it in writing. I used to be so organized before AL took over my life. I'm hoping to get that part of "me" back. I will keep up the healthy snacks to kick these sweet cravings. I was hoping to lose some weight after kicking the AL habit, not gain weight from eating too much! LOL. I've been freezing fruit in ice cubes to add to my sparkling water and I found the subtle fruit flavor also helps with sweet cravings. There are always tricks to being satisfied and healthy.
          Would you like you, if you met you?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Still dark out but I'm up early to go watch my grandsons for the first half of today

MS, the sugar cravings hit me hard too in the beginning. I finally kicked them back taking some L-Glutamine. You are doing great

Hello & welcome Stacy. Glad you decided to join us! Be sure you read the MWO book - it's downloadable from the Health store here on the site.

Wishing everyone a great AF Tuesday!
            Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

KUYA....question, fruit and yoghurt mimics ...alcohol? Please explain.
              I am on pins and needles scratching my head about this.
              -S-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sorry just saw this.

Alcohol is a huge sugar hit so you have trained your body to LIVE on sugar hits. When people stop they crave sugar BUT if you keep feeding yourself massive hits of sugar it messes up your blood sugar and you THINK you want alcohol but your brain needs energy.

So avoid pure sugar hits, use glutamine powder when you feel shaky and hungry and eat low GI food to stabilise your blood sugar.

When I quit last year I quickly became addicted to two chocolate bars a night at bedtime.
                I was still acting like a drunk getting sugar highs. I am sure it contributed to my relapse at nine weeks.

I am much more careful this time, not religiously, just don't make sweet stuff a habit, and feel like crap if I eat badly.

Comment

Newbies Nest

No Problem, WOW, that's so interesting. Thanks. Hmmmm.
                  -S-

Comment

Newbies Nest

howdy nesters!!!! I've been MIA - yesterday was a busy day of running around...and now holy heck, I am a little lost here!

thelaststraw, I am leaving that one to kuya as she is wonderful with these explanations. But there is sugar in most yogurt and also natural sugar in fruit ....and if we replace the sugar that we are used to getting from alcohol, with sugar from other sources, it doesn't really change the fact that we are used to getting a sugar boost - and our bodies don't adapt to going without, and the cravings for alcohol don't really subside....

And in the beginning our moods are all over the place. probably partly because of the fluctuating blood sugar.

Stacy, I remember very clearly - maybe it was day 4 or even day 10 - I think I was bitchy very often during that time frame - LOL. But sitting at the table for dinner and I snapped a response to somebody - and when I happened to look up - all eyes were on me - almost a little scared for what I might do next! It doesn't last forever....try to have things to keep you busy and maybe something to get away from the family when you're feeling particularly volatile???:H

ok...how did I not see kuya had already replied to the sugar hit thing....sorry!

~lola
                    ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Mardi Gras

Happy Mardi Gras Tuesday Nesters! Today I shall make my special ZULU stew pot!. It's a mess of collard greens boiled with a smoked pork necks, onions, tomatoes, celery etc. and served over black eyed peas...YUM I have such fond memories of Mardi Gras and New Orleans. I love the "Shrimp Poor boys" and visiting the VooDoo museum was a real interesting adventure! The huge Python snakes that they allow loose in the court yard kinda gave me the creeps but they were valued pets. Just don't let them near my wienie dogs. Of course my last visit there involved drinking. I saw the world thru clouded eyes for so many years. I plan on going again to see this beautiful city thru the eyes of Sobriety. I'm sure they have some great Coffee houses to explore!
                      Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Newbies Nest

HippyMan, thanks my the strength symbol last week. It served me well here on day 7. Now, my quit is in parallel with my boat build...they're both a process. Thanks all for helping me once again reach this important starter milestone.

Be good,
                        Happy Fin
                        Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                        Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin;1461499 wrote: HippyMan, thanks my the strength symbol last week. It served me well here on day 7. Now, my quit is in parallel with my boat build...they're both a process. Thanks all for helping me once again reach this important starter milestone.

Be good,
                          Happy Fin
                          Happy Hippy is very proud of you Happy Fin!!! The BEST has yet to come! :applaud::alf::applaud::alf::applaud:
                          Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin...on behalf of the Newbie's Nest, it is with EPIC pride, that I bestow your well-deserved MOON! :moon:
                            You have shown every day of this past week WHO was large and in charge!

What? We have ANOTHER major award?? THELASTSTRAW? Holy moly! We are really showing our arses today! Another moon for the Straw!!! :moon: We couldn't be happier!

This may sound like silly-ness....but I'm here to tell you, 7 days AF is huge in our world. May this be the beginning of a new sober life for both of you!

Which day, of the 7, would you say was the most challenging?
                            Well done you two!!! Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters! Welcome to our new participants. Read and post and this place will really help you get AL out of your life. If you are ready, there is plenty of wisdom here.

Thank you, Jimmy, Ellie, New Day (I, too, can naturally be reclusive and need my alone time, but I'm really reclusive currently and extremely analytical), and Byrdlady for your responses to my curiosity. Sometimes just asking others is therapeutic. I know I will figure myself out in time, but it's nice to hear what others are experiencing on their journey. I suppose I want all the answers now and that isn't how life works. Patience grasshopper. lol

The nest is so positive this morning and there is such success happening; it's great to see!!!! Let's all keep moving forward and find our peace.:l Each day I add to my count gives me a sense of accomplishment, gives us a sense of accomplishment. Keep up the great work!

My new avatar represents transformation for me. I have a lot of change going on in my life...BIG CHANGE...so I'm heading into a whole new life.

Love,

Slay
                              Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

Slaythefear;1461520 wrote:

My new avatar represents transformation for me. I have a lot of change going on in my life...BIG CHANGE...so I'm heading into a whole new life.

Love,

Slay
                                Slay, I LOVE your new avatar. Great symbol. You go, girl...you go...
                                Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                                Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Working...
                                X