Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Afternoon nesters,
    Day 1 for me...I am really having a hard time with thinking I can never drink wine again...such a concept....but I have put on weight and feel horrible so that is not a good alternative either. I will stay close to the nest tonight. I know I can do this I just have to WANT to do it...
    Dottie
    Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dottie Belle;1464445 wrote: Afternoon nesters,
      Day 1 for me...I am really having a hard time with thinking I can never drink wine again...such a concept....but I have put on weight and feel horrible so that is not a good alternative either. I will stay close to the nest tonight. I know I can do this I just have to WANT to do it...
      Dottie
      I know you can do it to!!! I did and that is so amazing to me. I'm sober and happy, at last. You can be sober and happy to!! :l
      Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lucelastic07;1464434 wrote: A much better today, after the drunken debacle that was Friday. My daughter came home from her dad's yesterday, we went to a 'princess disco' party,caught up with friends, watched some TV with crumpets and Maltesers and had a good sleep. Today, she had a swimming lesson, then we watched a Chinese New Year parade,came home and baked a cake and she is currently playing so happily that I have actually had an hour to read and check stuff online. Feeling much more positive, I have a game plan all written down, just got to actually follow through! I know exactly what I have to do and how great I can feel as I've done it before, I haven't even got an excuse for slipping except for I was socially very anxious on Friday. But in the past, I'd drink at homealone so couldn't use the same excuse then. Anyhow, onwards and upwards, no point keep looking back and beating myself up. Happy Sunday y'all!
        You are right to take that position, the past is gone.

I had thousands of day ones, but once I accepted that I just CAN'T drink anymore it all got very easy.
        Be happy with the decision......it is the best one you have ever made !

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oneredshoe;1464438 wrote: Quitting the cigs....is next on my list. I have quit before, but just like giving up alcohol it is a process.
          Me too One, getting mentally prepared now that I have some decent AF time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jennie you inspire me! Thx kuya

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dottie Belle;1464445 wrote: Afternoon nesters,
              Dottie
              Dottie ....... Remember this is a healthy choice you have made......turn that thought around from 'I can't drink wine' to 'I never WANT to drink wine ' and be grateful that you have quit and never have to live through that misery again.

It is such a relief to me, I hope you can find that feeling soon.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Dottie,

I have been thinking about you lately and wondering how you are doing. Sometimes it is so hard just to be willing! So glad you are back.

I don't know why, but sometimes you try and fail, over and over, then one day it 'clicks'. No one even seems to really know why it does one time but not the others. I found it interesting when some people said that the 'quit' that stuck was one they didn't think would... so who knows? This one may be the one for you.

I know you have been through sooo much this year. So glad you are back. Just keep trying. We are all here for you and have missed you. Welcome back. Hugs!

Oneredshoe and Kuya, I really want to stop smoking, too. I didn't smoke for over twenty years, but took it up again as a crutch, because I couldn't stay sober, no matter how many tries and was desperate. It gave me something to do when under stress instead of a drink. I recently had 5 days nicotine free, but caved a few days ago during a very stressful time.

I want to start again....sooner rather than later. It's funny, unlike an AL craving, the craving for nicotine just seemed to go on and on, all day, every day....I think I actually would have chosen a smoke over a drink.....and did! Not sure if that's good or bad. Actually I'm sure it was better than a drink. At least a week-long binge, hangover and withdrawal didn't follow.
                AF since 12/2/12
                http://hamsnetwork.org/taper/

Comment

Newbies Nest

DAY 5 - Human Wheels!

OK, so I feel my Human Wheels starting to turn again! Made it outside to have my skin burned by the sun like a vampire.. However it felt good.. Escaped that city and moved on.. It still took much effort as I'm only at about 70% power.. But it won't be to many days longer to hit 100%! No thought at all to having a drink! (but that's normal for me) Like I said, my desire to drink comes later, when I'm strong and confident! BUT I'm giving you guys a baseball bat with full permission to whack me over the head when the time comes! Don't worry, I will post!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Snowflake! On behalf of the Newbie's Nest, please accept this small token of a big job!!! Here is your Full Moon! :moon: As a Moonie, you have kicked AL in the @$$ for 7 big days and conquered ALL cravings. We are so proud of you! May you have many more moons of happiness! Byrdie (for Star)
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

DimensionDrifter;1464475 wrote: OK, so I feel my Human Wheels starting to turn again! Made it outside to have my skin burned by the sun like a vampire.. However it felt good.. Escaped that city and moved on.. It still took much effort as I'm only at about 70% power.. But it won't be to many days longer to hit 100%! No thought at all to having a drink! (but that's normal for me) Like I said, my desire to drink comes later, when I'm strong and confident! BUT I'm giving you guys a baseball bat with full permission to whack me over the head when the time comes! Don't worry, I will post!
                      I'll stand right beside you DD for a good whack on the nawgin! It's when I feel strong and confident that I roll backwards as well!

Let's plow through that, okay !! ??
                      On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                      *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                      https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kradle123;1464501 wrote: I'll stand right beside you DD for a good whack on the nawgin! It's when I feel strong and confident that I roll backwards as well!

Let's plow through that, okay !! ??
                        Thanks! Very happy to meet another like me.. So when were strong we will watch out for each other! With us strong = weak.. Strange irony indeed!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone! It has been a while since I posted last. I am really understanding the feeling of falling when you are feeling most confident. I HAVE NOT DRANK since November 1, 2012, 108 days.

However, this week I almost drank a couple times. Yesterday I actually went downstairs to get a can of ginger ale for my rye and ginger. I had the can in my hand and put it back. I have a case of non-alcohol beer in the fridge and took one of those instead. I do not want the rye and ginger ale, I want the drunk. I had to tell myself that.

If I was reading this, what would I say to the person typing it. I would give the following advice:

1. Don't do it, you have come so far and you are so proud of your accomplishment. :goodjob:
                          2. You do not want to have to type DAY 1 on the Newbies Nest Forum. :upset:
                          3. Just think how you will feel when you have to tell your kids, your husband and friends etc. :sorryThat is why I suggest to people you have to tell people you have a drinking problem)
                          4. Now you have just added the feelings of regret and shame to the problems you were dealing with. Is the problem gone away? Nope!
                          5. Talk to someone about your feelings. Call someone and have them talk you through this.
                          6. Leave the house. Go for a walk around Walmart or outside if you are lucky enough not to have 3 feet of snow and a -15 C wind chill.
                          7. Go have a nap instead. Or maybe.... :naughtfeet: (I am sorry I just can't resist this smiley) When I am wanting to drink this is actually the last thing I feel like.
                          8. Go work out.
                          9. Eat something good or even something not so good. (Chocolate) Just eat.

I hear all these things but I also read on here the posts of people who have drank and I think, "Well I could just start over. Lo's of people do." The urge is actually physical. It is distracting. It is really strong.

Well that is me for today. I am going to hang in there. Thank you again for being here. It does help to type down all my thoughts. I am sure if it were not for this forum I would have been done a long time ago.

I will not drink alcohol today!
                          AF Since 11/02/12 :wings::bananacomputer::lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nanette;1464545 wrote: Hi everyone! It has been a while since I posted last. I am really understanding the feeling of falling when you are feeling most confident. I HAVE NOT DRANK since November 1, 2012, 108 days.

However, this week I almost drank a couple times. Yesterday I actually went downstairs to get a can of ginger ale for my rye and ginger. I had the can in my hand and put it back. I have a case of non-alcohol beer in the fridge and took one of those instead. I do not want the rye and ginger ale, I want the drunk. I had to tell myself that.

If I was reading this, what would I say to the person typing it. I would give the following advice:

1. Don't do it, you have come so far and you are so proud of your accomplishment. :goodjob:
                            2. You do not want to have to type DAY 1 on the Newbies Nest Forum. :upset:
                            3. Just think how you will feel when you have to tell your kids, your husband and friends etc. :sorryThat is why I suggest to people you have to tell people you have a drinking problem)
                            4. Now you have just added the feelings of regret and shame to the problems you were dealing with. Is the problem gone away? Nope!
                            5. Talk to someone about your feelings. Call someone and have them talk you through this.
                            6. Leave the house. Go for a walk around Walmart or outside if you are lucky enough not to have 3 feet of snow and a -15 C wind chill.
                            7. Go have a nap instead. Or maybe.... :naughtfeet: (I am sorry I just can't resist this smiley) When I am wanting to drink this is actually the last thing I feel like.
                            8. Go work out.
                            9. Eat something good or even something not so good. (Chocolate) Just eat.

I hear all these things but I also read on here the posts of people who have drank and I think, "Well I could just start over. Lo's of people do." The urge is actually physical. It is distracting. It is really strong.

Well that is me for today. I am going to hang in there. Thank you again for being here. It does help to type down all my thoughts. I am sure if it were not for this forum I would have been done a long time ago.

I will not drink alcohol today!
                            This is an excellent well thought out post! Thanks very much! (Except for the walk around walmart! That would drive me to drink! lol!) Yes, my main problem comes when I feel like a demon slayer! Strong, tone, confident,full of energy and feel like I should reward myself!.. (but it's not a reward) It's me getting my a** kicked by Bruce Lee while tied to a barbwire fence!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dimension - Thanks. I love Walmart. It is a very social experience for me. I always see people I know and have good visits. I always find things I didn't even know I wanted too. That is the downfall.
                              AF Since 11/02/12 :wings::bananacomputer::lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone,

Congratulations Snowflake on your full moon. You are doing great!

Drifter and Kradle, I, too, have been known to slip when there is no conceivable reason to. Times when I feel great, there is nothing particularly stressful going on, etc. I found this (entire) post on page 3173 of the Newbie's Nest. It has been posted a few times, but I believe I first saw it from Byrdie. Two lines that spoke to me were:

JUNKIE THINKING: I'm doing so well, one won't hurt me now.
                                RESPONSE: The only reason I'm doing so well is because I haven't taken the first one. Yet once I do, I won't be doing well anymore, I'll be drinking again.

JUNKIE THINKING: I'll just stop again.
                                RESPONSE: Sounds easy, but who am I trying to kid? Look how long it took me to stop this time? And once I start, how long will it take before I get sick enough to face withdrawal again? In fact, when I'm back in the grip of compulsion, what guarantee do I have that I'll ever be able to stop again?

I will try to keep these two admonitions in mind, especially when I start feeling tempted. I have 78 AF days today. Who would have thought that was even possible. I had completely despaired of ever getting sober. I was the chronic relapser around AA for years, and have had more Day ones than I can count. Thanks to everybody here for your support!
                                AF since 12/2/12
                                http://hamsnetwork.org/taper/

Comment

Working...
                                X