Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

allankay;1464626 wrote: Hello everyone.

I am back from my little holiday in Spain, visiting my parents. Last time I was sober for this long they really encouraged me to drink (relax it?s your holiday...) This time around I am more sure of where I am heading with my quit and how to get there. Only two weeks away from six months milestone!!!

Finding myself falling asleep everywhere, due to my working/study schedule and daily training regime. Silverstone half marathon is only 2 weeks away and then London marathon at the end of April. Woop Woop!

I see a lot of new faces here and some regulars here. However, it seems that some people I started this journey with are very silent. I hope it?s because they are busy leading their new and better lives. If you are reading this please check in just to let everyone know that you are doing OK.

Allan
    Allan, good to not give in to the encouraging to drink, huh? Congrats on your upcoming 6 month milestone. You are my hero.
    -S-

Comment

Newbies Nest

LastStraw....he's my hero, too. He came in, saw the task at hand, and DID it. Since then, he's run all kinds of races and marathons...landed a fancy new job, and is about to get 6 hats!!!

So glad to see you're thriving Allan! Hugs dear friend! B
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi B,

Thank you for your kind words. It feels good to compare myself now to the version that was 12 months ago. However, I still get scared by the idea that I am only one drink away to going back to my old self. I don’t know if that feeling ever goes away but it keeps me on my toes for the time being.

Hello Straw. Glad you joined us in the Newbies Nest.

ALLAN
        AF since 1st Sep 2012
        NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

blahhhhhhhh
          still at ski house. Everyone right now is sitting at the dining room table drinking bourbon and wine. Talking about wine....making comments about me sitting over here on my computer. I am ignoring them.
          Just read past posts and the junk thinking posts are really helping me.....
          dinner will be soon and that will make things better. Right now is torture.
          just getting it out there.....I know I can make it through. I am not quite "white knuckling" it but feel very uncomfortable.

thanks for letting me vent....
          I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

jenniech;1464653 wrote: blahhhhhhhh
            still at ski house. Everyone right now is sitting at the dining room table drinking bourbon and wine. Talking about wine....making comments about me sitting over here on my computer. I am ignoring them.
            Just read past posts and the junk thinking posts are really helping me.....
            dinner will be soon and that will make things better. Right now is torture.
            just getting it out there.....I know I can make it through. I am not quite "white knuckling" it but feel very uncomfortable.

thanks for letting me vent....
            :applaud::clapclap:inkele:inkele::thumbsup I am very proud of you!
            Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jenniech, stay strong. You are doing great. It is tough but when the drink sets in and you notice what drink is doing them, you will relaz and feel more comfortable. You've done it before.....well done you - keep your eye on the morning!
              IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
              Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Jenni, what are you having for dinner tonight?
                -S-

Comment

Newbies Nest

I think I'll have bacon & almond butter sandwich, or BLT, or almond & banana sandwich.
                  -S-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Chips and a giant glass of cold milk

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening All!

Interesting thoughts in the nest today.

Nanette, that was a very nice well thought out post. Your addition along with what DD is concerned with has me thinking today about the other side of drinking other than to escape. I'm working on being more healthy both physically and mentally and currently making big changes in my life. I haven't been thinking much about how the urge comes when you achieve this healthier state...you're looking good, the weather turns nice, I'm single again...yeah, then it won't be to escape but to celebrate, socialize more, fun in the sun stuff, etc. With all I've been going through that hasn't really been on my mind, but I'm sure I'll need to prepare for that time. It's been an issue in the past. For today, I'll keep working the plan and path I'm on, but I appreciate the point of view from that perspective that some of you are offering here. I could feel it as I was reading the post today, so slay will need more strategy at that point. We have to write all new programs to put upstairs.

Mimi, because I'm new at Yoga, I'm learning as I go just how much of a workout it can be. Each day, I add another chapter of postures and I deepen the stretches, so I am beginning to understand your viewpoint on it being a good workout and can be tough. I've even been adding a few of my other exercises to the mix with some modifications. Today was an hour and yes, it was more difficult and I worked up a sweat. The starting postures didn't seem like enough, but it's getting better now. I really do enjoy doing it. I'll add patience to my meditation. LOL!!!

Tomorrow is day 25 and I am so happy I didn't slip this last week. Like Jenn, it feels so good when you make it through those urges. So fight the good fight nesters...it's tough, but WE can ALL do it! Let's make 2013 the year to break those chains that keep us in bondage.

Hugs to all.

Love,

Slay
                      Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nanette, that was a very nice well thought out post. Your addition along with what DD is concerned with has me thinking today about the other side of drinking other than to escape. I'm working on being more healthy both physically and mentally and currently making big changes in my life. I haven't been thinking much about how the urge comes when you achieve this healthier state...you're looking good, the weather turns nice, I'm single again...yeah, then it won't be to escape but to celebrate, socialize more, fun in the sun stuff, etc. With all I've been going through that hasn't really been on my mind, but I'm sure I'll need to prepare for that time. It's been an issue in the past. For today, I'll keep working the plan and path I'm on, but I appreciate the point of view from that perspective that some of you are offering here. I could feel it as I was reading the post today, so slay will need more strategy at that point. We have to write all new programs to put upstairs.

Slay this is so true. Thank you for confirming my thoughts and weakness.
                        AF Since 11/02/12 :wings::bananacomputer::lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm with Daisy, Jenn. Just wait a bit and you'll see what the AL does to them. My gf called me three times the other day. By the the third time, she wasn't making any sense and it was so annoying. You've made it this far, you'd really be down on yourself if you broke at the last minute. HANG IN THERE...it's just a tiny bit of time left to go. How about ordering a snack or a virgin tasty drink and savor every bite or sip?

I'm so proud of you guys who have to spend so much time around other drinkers. That is not easy, so hold your head up high and be proud of yourself. Let them make fun...you are a winner!!! I left a post on the encouragement thread you may want to read, Jenn. There are plenty there to keep your mind distracted and positive.
                          Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hang strong, Jenn...this isn't about them, this is about YOU. Visualize waking up tomorrow AF...and how good that feels. Every time you exercise these muscles they'll get stronger! Please keep reaching out....remember the folks that make fun of us most likely have a problem too and they are mad at themselves that they can't do something about it. I'll be glad when you get home! Bahahaha....xo, B
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

:l Nanette. It's not only AL, but I tend to forget the bad in a lot of situations in life. Our brains do tend to stop remembering the bad. As some of the old timers say, they like to be reminded here daily about the struggles, so they don't forget.

I guess we are learning to walk all over again. Maybe you need a new hobby, or something different to look forward to. I made part of today a spa day. It felt great. You may need a new distraction.

Comment

Newbies Nest

For Jenn or whoever else faces challenges from others when you are trying to change. This is from today's encouragement post.

Here are a few ways to bolster yourself against the inevitable backlash of people who are resistant to your change:
                                1. Get very clear on your own values and motivations for this change.

If you feel confident about it, you?ll be less susceptible to others? opinions.
                                2. Prepare a comeback.

It could be matter-of-fact, humorous, or whatever fits best for you. Anticipate the common reaction (i.e.: ?In this economy, you?re lucky to have a job!?), and prepare a response that will shut the conversation down and make it clear you?re not open to negotiating about your intention (?I know! I am so lucky to have a job. How?s your job going??).
                                3. Seek out supporters.

Find people, websites, groups, and resources that say you can make the change you intend. Read success stories, solicit pep talks, share your short-term goals?create a change-based community of like-minded people.
                                4. Filter your updates.

You know that old saying, ?You can?t get bread at the hardware store?? Some people may never support your progress. Consider saving your progress updates for people who are more supportive. If you give detractors less opportunity to offer their feedback, it?s less you?ll have to contend with.
                                5. Be a resource.

When people begin to notice that extra pep in your step, they?ll want a little of this ?change? thing for themselves! If you sense someone is flirting with their own change, offer your story and share what has worked for you. Don?t push, and do accept their resistance. Change is a slow process, but if someone is ready to take the first step, you could very well serve as their catalyst.
                                6. Push through it.

There may be times when it feels impossible. When so many forces are stacked up against you, and you can?t possibly forge a new path in life. This is exactly when you keep going.

This is the stress point beyond which true lasting change occurs. Do reconsider your goals and make sure they?re still in line with your core beliefs. And if so, just keep going.

You can create a new life for yourself and serve as an inspiration to others.

Comment

Working...
                                X