Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Oh Jenniech; I know how you feel! It is only 'ugh' until it passes, and it will. Think ahead to the morning when you open your curtains and see a brand new day and then how grateful and happy you will be with yourself.
    You will 'always' be happy that you did not give in.....no 'ugh' feeling in the morning, that's for sure.
    IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
    Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

kuya;1465712 wrote: At the beginning those thoughts seem to be hourly but they fade and fade. I haven't had a drinking thought for seven weeks and that was triggered by having my first swim of the summer because I would always drink after a swim. The association remained. The next day I swam and no such thought crossed my mind. I had said NO! Firmly and the association was broken.
      Good point Kuya; I have so many associations - certain people, after cleaning my house, getting pissed off at something.....breaking each as they come will be something I will keep in mind now - thanks!
      IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
      Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

jenniech;1465706 wrote: I have been reading posts and they help me so much....for some reason (emotional hangover from the weekend I'm sure) I have been wanting to drink the past couple of hours. It is the AL nemesis that I have not yet been able to kill yet. I won't drink, but I just wanted to put out there that I want to.
        Ugh...
        That sure was me yesterday. I was glad for the support of this forum. All the times during 2012 when I was trying to do this on my own, a night like last night would have been the end of whatever number of AF days I had going.

Have a good evening, Jennie, and be sure to speak up if you need some company!

NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jenn...try not to LONG for it. I mean, DAM, it tried to kill us! There is NOT one good thing about AL you could tell me that would make me take a drink. It's like after you broke up with somebody that was just toxic to you, and months later you could say, 'how the heck did I ever get involved with him?'. Same thing here...don't give AL the satisfaction. Look at it for what it took away, not what it added. At least that's what I did and it helped....B
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Breaking associations, breaking AL's back.....anything, right? :H

Hello & welcome jcnewbie!
            I can't answer your questions concerning Baclofen but you may be able to get your answer:
            Topamax, Campral, Naltrexone, Baclofen, other meds - My Way Out Forums

Have you read the MWO book yet?
            You can download it from the health store here on the site.

Jennie, feel free to vent away, picking up a drink is never the answer
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Evening Nesters!
              I am just checking in again, it's been a long but successful 4th day, no real craving. I may come back later to read yet more. Between work and reading NN and Bac threads I have been at the computer for the last nearly 12 hours. Thank you Starfish for noting my post, and encouragment, and Byrdlady... and everyone that posts! This place just blows me away with all of the support and info sharing and honesty about our disease.
              Be Well,

Jenn
              The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes....Marcel Proust

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone. Just remember that thoughts about drinking are ONLY thoughts. You do not have to act on them. They WILL pass. You will be so happy tomorrow when you realize you made it through another day. Like Byrdie says, any day you can put between you and AL is a good day! Do something to distract yourself from that stinkin drinkin thinkin!! Make sure you are not hungry, angry, lonely or tired (HALT). Have a great AL free night everyone.
                :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

just flying in briefly to say good night and hope we all get some good rest tonight.
                  This seems to be my biggest problem still. I'm beginning to think it isn't related to being AF .... that it is just me! I hate to keep taking OTC sleep aids and melatonin and a "restless leg" naturopath pill, but that seems to be the only way i can get to sleep eventually (other than a prescription sleeping pill)
                  Anybody have sucess with other things?
                  I'm off to bed to give it a try! Nite all!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening friends,

Welcome, jcnewbie!

Jennifire, Great job on your 4 days! You are putting the hardest days behind you right now.

Draper, I'm sorry for your loss. I enjoyed your post, it caused me to think a bit. My two cents, and only because you asked...I wouldn't get hung up on labels. Just go with your gut feeling and let this stuff roll around in your head. I don't think rock bottom has to necessarily mean that we end up in a cardboard box. For me it was a combination of many things, but a huge part of it was constant dissapointment in myself. I wasn't at my full potential for many aspects of my life. It wasn't the level of my drinking that bothered me most at the end, it was my feelings about it. If I challenged you not to eat apples for 30 days, and you would get rewards at the end, I'm sure you could do it with no problem. When we change that to alcohol, our mind has many responses and starts bargaining, arguing, refuting, challenging right away. Why does this happen? Anyways, thanks for posting and getting me thinking.

Have a great AF night!
                    "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                    AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

daisy45;1465716 wrote: Good point Kuya; I have so many associations - certain people, after cleaning my house, getting pissed off at something.....breaking each as they come will be something I will keep in mind now - thanks!
                      Gosh, you are more correct than I realised ! The first days and weeks are almost constant NO ! ........the triggers are so frequent that it is exhausting, relentless and feels impossible. But as the weeks pass your spoiled brat has learned that NO means NO but tries it on again with ANY trigger that you have missed.

This makes getting back out and into life even more important ......to face the triggers head on.
                      Perhaps this is why the longer term abstainant relapse, perhaps hiding away for safety leaves large numbers of triggers untouched.

This recovery malarkey is fascinating stuff TBH

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Evening Nesters....I am so happy to "see" all of you. Starfish I am so happy to see your brightly colored posts....I have missed them. Jennifire....nice job on 4 days, slow and steady eyes on the prize. I am home for the night and will be checking in periodically, if you want to chat just let me know.
                        I have had an interesting and wonderful past couple of days. I met the most amazing lady yesterday at my puppy's playtime, I will call her Mrs. C, she reminded me of Kuya, intuitive and motherly, but had Hippymans contagious happiness. I must have talked to her for an hour....we talked about all kinds of stuff, mostly dogs, but other things too. When it was time for me to excuse myself to get my Maggie I said Mrs. C it was a pleasure to meet and talk to you....she said "Child, God works in mysterious ways, he puts people where they are meant to be at that moment in time, now you come over here and let me give you a hug." Mrs C, gave the best hug, and it was exactly what I needed at that moment in time. Call me crazy but that random act of kindness blew me away and made my eyes well up with tears. Then I thought to myself, if had had been living my life the way I was 16 days ago I would have been hungover and missed puppy playtime thus meaning I would have missed out on meeting Mrs C and her amazing hug. The small things in life that give such great pleasure are what matter the most to me. I will remember Mrs C forever! She has no idea how much she impacted me yesterday.
                        Another crazy thing happened to me today...I am a waitress/server what ever you want to call it, anyway we have a new menu rolling out, which means we are supposed to taste everything unless you have an allergy. This includes the new beverages, alcohol ones included. The new alcoholic beverages were made and straws were handed out, when it came my turn I turned it down. I didn't expect to be called out as to why I didn't taste the beverages....it rolled off of my tongue so easily and with such confidence that it caught me off guard, I simply said that I no loner drink alcohol and that was that. 16 going on 17 consecutive days AF. Sorry for the incredibly lengthy post....
                        "Sometimes the strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, cry behind closed doors and fight battles that nobody knows about".
                        ~Author Unknown
                        AF since February 4, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nice job, One!
                          Star- love your take on "functioning" I agree!
                          Welcome Jennifire and Spiderwoman
                          Draper- hope you're hangin in and you, Daisy - good job on the moon
                          Missing Fin and Tess!!!!!
                          Old timers kuya lav n Byrdie, hippyman ...as always tremendous wisdom
                          Hi jimmy you sound awesome
                          No Sugar, Jenniech , last straw, kairos, DD, siren hang tough!))) Oh who else?
                          Oh welcome jcnewbie and struggles!!!!!
                          Day 3 after momentary stupidity ... But I like day 15/16 better!

Hope I didn't leave anyone out... I'm sorry if so... I read N type on my phone and super hard to go back and see posts

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh elliesmom and Mimi ! Can't forget you two

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ican....how in the heck do you keep up with everyone? I always feel bad by not addressing everyone.....what is your trick?
                              "Sometimes the strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, cry behind closed doors and fight battles that nobody knows about".
                              ~Author Unknown

Comment

Newbies Nest

I read everyone's posts.....
                                ~Author Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X