Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Well should have taken advice, and had more AF time under my belt before heading out to social functions, 11 days AF down the drain after last night...(insert profanity here)...:upset:
    Pressure (perceived or real) from friends, combined with the philosophy that well maybe one or two won't hurt, resulted in the consumption of two bottles of wine
    This morning feeling like crap however I am determined not to give up, I am going to follow the advice from members of this site who have been down this path, my life and family are worth more..
    On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

halo;1467960 wrote: Well should have taken advice, and had more AF time under my belt before heading out to social functions, 11 days AF down the drain after last night...(insert profanity here)...:upset:
      Pressure (perceived or real) from friends, combined with the philosophy that well maybe one or two won't hurt, resulted in the consumption of two bottles of wine
      This morning feeling like crap however I am determined not to give up, I am going to follow the advice from members of this site who have been down this path, my life and family are worth more..
      I know not everybody agrees with AF wine and beer but to be honest, I have found them a saviour. Today I had lunch with a friend and she ordered a wine. I was able to order an AF beer. I've done the same at any social functions. Unfortunately you can't get AF wine in bars here but can get AF beer and it really helps just to avoid anybody putting pressure on.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

huge congrats to moni, and to persephone, and to slay. and wait - to nosugar too? what happened to the days when I could keep track of it all? Whether you are on day 1 or day 100, you should be proud of yourself for keeping your promise to yourself - to keep AL out of your life.

Slay...honestly...if there ever was someone who fought it - LOL...I'm kidding, but really you are a prize pupil... a perfect example of how at first someone can fight this and not really believe that it will happen, but then finally they make it happen...ummm...kind of like me? and Byrdie??? :l

halo, nothing is down the drain, honey...except literally, those two bottels of poison. YOU are back here! You did NOT decide today that you're going down that path again and you didn't convince yourself that WE are all nuts and that YOU have it all figured out...you are back and you are going at this again. AND you had a HUGE learning experience. If you truly want to succeed, will you repeat the actions of last night? No, you will formulate a plan that deals, in advance with the things that brought you down - and the next time - You WILL have all your bases covered and you will be celebrating your strength the day after. :l
        ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Halo,

Glad you are back right away, to start again. So many of us disappear after a slip, some of us for months and months. We've all, (most of us) had countless day ones. Just get back up on the horse. Don't lose more of your life to alcohol. This is a lesson to the rest of us to see, yet again, that it is never just one or two glasses, when we are tempted to dip our toe.

We all get tempted, especially when we are feeling great, that one or two little glasses won't hurt us. We so desperately want it to be true. But, alas, we see the same result over and over again. Stay close and let us help you through the difficult early days. There is a newbie's nest roll call where you can check in daily if you wish. There are always people there who are just starting or starting over. You don't have to struggle alone. Welcome back!
          AF since 12/2/12
          http://hamsnetwork.org/taper/

Comment

Newbies Nest

Halo, Never quit quitting and you will succeed in finding what it takes to get sober and stay sober. I know you can do it!
            Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just when you think things can't get any worse they do.
              My step brother died this morning of a heart attack. 60 years old...

And why not drink?

rednose
              All things in time if I am Alcohol free

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rednose, I am so very sorry for your loss. I lost my brother 8 months ago in a drunk driving accident. He was 30. I drank myself into a coma for the last 8 months and here I am, starting over, feeling the grief sober for the first time. Drinking makes it SO much worse, I promise you.
                Day 1 again 11/5/19
                Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks moni, almost free, lolab and hippyman: after drinking I can get extremely depressed about my lack of will power, my inability to control my alcohol intake. Your positive and insightful words are just what I need now to have a better life, I feel less defeated and more determined... To another start. Day 1
                  On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Help! Please tell me throw away the box wine!

Oh thank you for the cozy hest. Tonight will be my first A/F night for a few days but I need to put together at least a week - I have lost all confidence this year and I have wretched BIG BOX of horrible wine in my cupboard!!! and Get This... I think - oh it is so horrible I won't drink it (wrong) and I think - Oh there is too much to throw away!! (crazy) so I am semi dooming myself with this attitude - Somebody PLEASE tell me to dump it down the drain and burnt he box - please remind me why this is good idea Thank you!! I am going for a run now and will check in when I get back - Thank you!!!!!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening Nesters! Wow! Feel the love; how great is that?

Thank you for your warm congrats No Sugar (lol, it wasn't intentional but it's funny how it may have appeared), Dimension Drifter, Oneredshoe, Fallen Angel (my buddy), thelaststraw, Nursie, JimmyDama, Byrdlady, Persephone, Lavande, Starfish, Pinecone, Almost Free (we have had some rough stuff, eh?), Moni (:goodjob: on 100 days), Lolab (prize student...I like it!), and Hipster (from Yesterday). If I missed anyone, I am sorry. I went back and I think I got you all, but if I missed anyone, many thanks!

I'd like to add a word for today's AF vocabulary...Action. We can think about things changing and wish for changes, but until we actually put the wishes and thoughts into action, nothing changes. It's a great feeling to actually do something about things that we do have control over because God knows there are so many things that we don't. It's empowering to put your foot forward and start walking. There are obstacles to overcome, but if you keep your focus in the right place and take hold of your mind when it tries to trip you up, you will feel a sense of achievement and hope for your life. We all have our ups and downs and we have problems, but the only way to solve them is TO SOLVE THEM.

With that said, I'd like to tell you about the 30 day test I had today. Now, I was thinking how easy today would be. I have this accomplishment and I got this! Well, as I mentioned, I am adding changes to each floor I enter. It gives me ten days to incorporate or change things in my life for the better and carry it forward with me. I mentioned earlier today I added in some weekly cardio to my plan now. When I logged off today, I dyed my hair for another change. Fortunately, I liked it or is that unfortunately? I had plans to go shopping at the health food store for some healthy additions to my diet. I had thawed a steak and was planning a nice dinner with a baked potato and asparagus. A good plan right...set out to have a nice AF rewarding day. Well, all made up with my new hair and feeling great, who comes to visit? You got it! Mr. Richardhead! (yes, I know his real name, grrrrr..) He starts with me...'You need to celebrate; you're looking good girl. Don't you want to go see your drinking pals...go play? Yeah, aren't you feeling a bit lonely celebrating all by your lonesome?" Well, I fought him to the ground and told him no way, just no way. So out I go to the health food store. Shopping around, getting my healthy stuff, checking out and into the car. Oh oh, here he comes again! I went on to my next store to buy some household items. That rat didn't leave me alone ALL DAY! He tried every trick. Just go and eat. Just one. You know the drill. Well after the battle from hell even though I was enjoying my shopping, I did make it home. When the shopping was done and the call kept coming, I started to think HALT! I grabbed control of my mind and started fighting that bastard...how dare he/it go after my victory. HALT is what gave me final strength to fight his last breath home. I was hungry and lonely and that was the reason for his visit and the past habit of celebrating always involving AL. All three reasons could be solved and I got through my door and made my meal ASAP. I enjoyed that meal like I haven't enjoyed a meal in a VERY LONG TIME. It was like heaven. It was a new way to celebrate. A new habit forming. I logged on here being full and satisfied and saw all the wonderful messages. Three problems solved without AL.

THANK YOU ALL!

Love ya,

Slay:l

Halo, I think we've all been there.
                      Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

Get rid of the wine now pronto, take it from someone who feels horrible, it will do nothing but make you feel awful, DO IT NOW

Comment

Newbies Nest

runningbird, welcome. Tell you what, the hangover and feelings of self loathing aren't worth the $13 of wine in that box. Take it to a neighbor, if you can't do that get rid of the dam stuff. Be the EX-OR-CIST....GET. IT. OOOUUUUTTTT!!! Otherwise it will sprouts heads and start talking to you. If you are fed up with having AL in your life and trying to plan your life around it, you are in a great place. Please let us know more about you... Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Runningbird-empty the wine box in the drain, or yard or street. Then toss it in the trash or burn it in the barbeque.
                            Just Do It.
                            -S-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rednose, I am so sorry for your loss. Trust me when I tell you that drinking yourself to oblivion is not going to bring him back or make anything better. Be 100% present for your family, they are going to need you very much. I will be thinking of you...Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

great job slay

runningbird - how many times have you told yourself that you'll start tomorrow? Or as soon as this box/bottle/six pack is empty...? But then when you get to that point, how long does that commitment last? How has that worked for you in the past? I am only saying this because of the years that I wasted - putting off my quit....knowing I needed to....wanting to....trying to....and starting to...but then when the bottle was empty, I'd tell myself things weren't that bad....or that I'd get more and have it in the house to have "just a little at night"...."keep it under control" just have it handy "if I wanted a drink"....ugh.

This time, try something different. Rip the seams of that cardboard, take out the plastic bag, cut it open with a knife and dump it down the sink. Get it out of your sight and make a positive commitment to start new NOW!
                                ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Working...
                                X