Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Wow, 4 years!

I just visited the tool box - good stuff!
    I'm going to bed with a book - check with you in the morning
    Thanks to all!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Is there a place we can track our AF days?

Is there a place we can track our AF days on the website somewhere? Thanks!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

runningbird;1468126 wrote: Is there a place we can track our AF days on the website somewhere? Thanks!!
        Welcome, Runningbird.

There is a Newbies Nest roll call thread. Many of us who are fairly new to this AF life post there most days. I have found that being accountable there, and to the people here in the nest, has gotten me through this first month. It seems weird to me that while I couldn't make much progress on my own getting off AL, things really started to come together after I joined MWO. I am starting to think it is a rare bird who could do this entirely alone. Since you needed support to dump that wine tonight, maybe you will have the same response I have had to what the nest offers - unconditional understanding and love whenever you need it. It is a powerful force.

Reading as much as you can here and posting often will help get you involved and strengthen your commitment. Do it even when you are feeling strong so it will be a natural response when you are struggling! I promised myself that before I caved in I would post here first. Happily, there was always someone online who helped me not to make that bad choice.

Tonight I went to a dinner party and drank water while everyone else drank wine (my drink of choice ) . And believe it or not, it was fine. Plus, I was not worried about it all day. Just 1 week ago I was very stressed about a social event and 1 month ago I absolutely would have had maybe a glass of wine at the party and then a bottle after I got home and my husband had gone to bed. I do not think I have beaten AL by any means but my point is that if you really want to change, are willing to work and put up with the tough physical and mental challenges, and are willing to ask for and receive help, THINGS CAN CHANGE!

You have come to the right place to get this done, Runningbird. Let us know what we can do to help you like you did tonight, ok?

-NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Runningbird,

I was in the middle of adding another post, telling you about the Newbie's Nest Roll Call, when I was interrupted by a long phone call. Go to "Just Starting Out' and click on Newbies Nest Roll Call. People check in every day with their number of days sober. It's a very positive place, and they award prizes as we reach different milestones, like 7 days, (a full moon), 30 days,(a special hat) etc. You just sign on, cut and paste the previous post with all the previous sign ins onto your new post, add your name, then click submit. Hope you join us on that as well. Have a good night's sleep and hope you feel great in the morning! Well done tonight!

Oh, cross posted. Hey there NoSugar! You must feel great after your 30 day hat! Well done for you, too!
          AF since 12/2/12
          http://hamsnetwork.org/taper/

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Hi I went to tracker thank you. I just got an email from my mom, My brother went to the hospital today and is in ICU with super high blood pressure, high blood sugar and and something crazy happening to his heart!. He had a heart attack several years ago. I am worried and scared for him but also know that his drinking is the cause - and my high blood pressure is from my drinking. Thank you for being here.
            More than ever this is a warning to stay AF and get my BP down.

Comment

Newbies Nest

You doing ok Runningbird? I have terrible insomnia, it's 1:20 am here! just checking over the boards & saw you were on...
              "People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone."

? Audrey Hepburn, Actress and Philanthropist :heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Originally Posted by runningbird
                Is there a place we can track our AF days on the website somewhere? Thanks!!

Hi runningbird..you o k? there is a separate thread on the misc part of the site called drinktracker...just log in and count your days..its greeat to see the yellow squares mount up!!!!
                af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Persephone, Hi thank you - I am okay but drank a bunch of diet coke this afternoon and now am a bit wired - then I got the email from my Mom - I have all those mixed up emotions, sad worried, kind of angry with my mother who argues with me when I say I don't want a drink and who give my brother bottles of scotch, she is doing the best she can, I know.

Thank you for asking

You have terrible insomnia - wow 1"20 am and you are reading t he boards - and then you are so kind asking how I am.. I am going to try to sleep - I hope you can, too. I actually have the hypno CD so I think I will lay and listen to it.

Thanks so much, I hope you can sleep, too!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hiya Runningbird,

Hypno cd's sound wonderful! I'm gonna zone to a Netflix movie I think...so glad you found this site. Stay close, K? Take good care of yourself. P
                    "People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone."

Comment

Newbies Nest

Runningbird stay off the grog and your blood pressure will drop fast. I've been on meds for years because I had,alcohol induced high blood pressure. I quit on 9 December and in less than rwo weeks it had fallen so much the meds weere making me dizzy and have been halved. Well done on gettting rid of the vino, yoou won't regret it.:goodjob:
                      AF since 9 December 2012 :yay:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I was supposed to have a date today but he cancelled. That leaves me with more time to study and clean the house. Last night I sat by the fire with a glass of AF red wine. I still refuse to risk the real stuff despite some people suggesting I might be in control now. I don't feel the need to anyway. I don't miss the alcohol. I just missed the habit really. How could you miss something that makes you feel ill, act stupid and gives you a massive spare tyre.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

moni;1468184 wrote: I was supposed to have a date today but he cancelled. That leaves me with more time to study and clean the house. Last night I sat by the fire with a glass of AF red wine. I still refuse to risk the real stuff despite some people suggesting I might be in control now. I don't feel the need to anyway. I don't miss the alcohol. I just missed the habit really. How could you miss something that makes you feel ill, act stupid and gives you a massive spare tyre.
                          :goodjob: There is nothing good waiting at the bottom of a bottle. Congratulations on staying AF! :l
                          Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Awaiting the appearance of some sunshine

As far as sleep issues go, I finally found just the right combo of herbs & Benadryl for me. You have to keep searching until you find what works best for you

Moni, who is suggesting to you that you might be in control now? Friends?
                            That is a very personal decision that only you can make. Please don't let someone influence you, especially someone who doesn't fully understand this issue!

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Sunday!
                            Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Sunday Nesters. Yesterday was a real blast from the past. The living history event was great. I can't say the same for the under cooked pot of beans. They cooked away on an open fire all day and were still hard as a rock??? What do you call a dish of soggy rice covered with rock hard beans with burned biscuits on the side? Pioneer food! :H
                              This day is for the Dogs...:H I have been so busy and they insist that they have been left out of all the fun. We are headed to a "puppy dog picnic". I must swing by the store for some picnic supplies. Thank God they don't include beer anymore! The weather is unseasonably warm and the rain has promised to hold off until we're done! Enjoy today and don't forget to make someone smile!
                              Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hippyman;1468249 wrote: Pioneer food!
                                This day is for the Dogs...:H I have been so busy and they insist that they have been left out of all the fun. We are headed to a "puppy dog picnic".
                                Hiya Hippy, I am sorry your 'pot of beans' didn't turn out for you...I know your good medicine is to nurture with food (it's a lovely quality BTW ) What kind are/were they? Can you salvage them in a crock?

Your pups must feel so lucky to have a whole day devoted to them! I'm only gonna be in MI for the summer (I believe) so I'm not able to commit to a pup long term just yet...what do you think about fostering? Our humane society has a program for those wishing to foster pups who have gone through surgery/trauma so they don't have to be in a kennel while recuperating. I love this idea...

So happy that your shopping with no intent on buying beer for your picnic. Life is SO MUCH BETTER like this :l

Comment

Working...
                                X