Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Evening all,
    Struggles- BEER at a HOSPITAL?? I have never heard of such a thing, and I have bee a nurse for 15 years! Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?
    Ellie'smom- he really might not know that you're an alcoholic. Maybe he just thinks you cut back. Like Byrdie said, I would tell him the truth to sever the possibility that you could drink again.

Today we found out that my husband;s friend that died, died of a heroin overdose. His children found him when they got off the school bus. We are so devastated! This animal of addiction is stealing from us all every single day!
    Day 1 again 11/5/19
    Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
    Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
    Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
    11/27/19: messed up but back on track
    12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Elliesmom: thanks for the advice regarding the vitamin D, I am going to check on that asap, go to get some supplements and check for my levels at the doctor's office on my next visit.

I read what you posted about your husband not noticing that you are AF, there may be reasons why he is not saying anything. I know that in the past when I have told my husband I was quitting, he was always talking about how it was the right choice etc, after a week or so, he would comment on how great I was doing when I refused a glass of wine at dinner. Even though he was complimenting me, I always felt like he was watching and judging me, it put more pressure on me to make sure I didn't mess up...
      Perhaps your husband doesn't want to acknowledge your change because he's afraid that placing more eyes on what your choices are going to be will be more difficult for you ... And when he is offering you a drink or two, he is hoping it will boost your confidence when you refuse... Just trying to play devil's advocate. With your past mentioned drinking patterns, I think he would have to be blind not to notice the difference especially after 23 days AF
      Regardless of why he hasn't said anything know that we are very proud of you, 23 days is awesome!!! :goodjob:I haven't gone 23 days AF in a very very very long time..
      On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters!! I started my journey last week. I am using baclofen, and I seem to be doing well with it. I feel like there is a bigger timeframe between "I want a drink" and my acting on that thought. 4-7pm is my hardest time. Today is my 6th AF day (I will make it today!). Some days harder than others. Sigh. Listening to Pandora-- Jerry Jeff is singing about up against the wall redneck mothers -- When I feel low, I make myself listen to country music and sing along, and two-step across the living room. It gives me energy.:lol3:

Now Waylon is singing. I've Always Been Crazy (but it kept me from going insane) - my anthem!

I'll be back!

GG

Comment

Newbies Nest

There but for the grace of God

Alan, congrats on the half marathon and the 6 months!! You are an inspiration. Struggles I am so sorry about your Mother and about your experience at the hospital; Oh I hope it does not discourage you from staying AF.

I had a strange experience at a hospital today - but it only helped to strengthen my resolve to be AF. I visited my brother - turns out he had a small stroke and heart attack yesterday - due to alcohol induced high blood pressure. I stood by his bed as the neurologist told him that he should consider himself lucky and take this as a warning - that he would recover from this but next time he might not be so lucky... and so he admonished my brother to stick with his program of healing. My blood pressure is one of the biggest scary things related to my drinking - so thank you all for being here. Two days today and feeling good.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone! This is the first minute I have had all day to check in and I see that our own Nursie is celebrating seven days today!!! I am so sorry that I didn't see this earlier, Nursie!! You are due for a good mooning, young lady!! So... Here we go....
            :moon:
            We are so PROUD of you for achieving seven whole days without the beast!!! Keep up the good work!!!
            :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

runningbird;1468677 wrote: Alan, congrats on the half marathon and the 6 months!! You are an inspiration. Struggles I am so sorry about your Mother and about your experience at the hospital; Oh I hope it does not discourage you from staying AF.

I had a strange experience at a hospital today - but it only helped to strengthen my resolve to be AF. I visited my brother - turns out he had a small stroke and heart attack yesterday - due to alcohol induced high blood pressure. I stood by his bed as the neurologist told him that he should consider himself lucky and take this as a warning - that he would recover from this but next time he might not be so lucky... and so he admonished my brother to stick with his program of healing. My blood pressure is one of the biggest scary things related to my drinking - so thank you all for being here. Two days today and feeling good.
              Yes, RunningBird. He does give us another chance when we least expect it.

-S-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters....I haven't posted that much over the past couple of days as I haven't been in the greatest of moods and I really try not to post when I am frustrated, BUT I really really need to vent and have nobody else to vent to. I hope you all don't mind. Today is 21 consecutive AF days for me, I have absolutely no desire to drink but I feel like my husband who has been drinking pretty heavy again is doing everything and anything in his power to break me so that he can have his "playmate" back. I have watched him progressively drink heavier each night, as well as taking higher doses of his sleep medication. This morning I saw him go into full blown action when he poured his first drink at 8:30 am....and proceeded to drink all day long, if that weren't bad enough he tried to bait me into arguments, when that didn't work he started with the verbal abuse, literally nit picking me to death.
                I have no where to go as my family all live many hours away from me and most of my "friends" are drinkers themselves. So needless to say I spent a lot of time out in my garage freezing my butt off and smoking my brains out. All I really want him to do is pass out! I know that sounds terrible but It is honest. I feel beat up and all alone, but I absolutely refuse to give into drinking! I am so sorry that this was such a negative post.
                "Sometimes the strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, cry behind closed doors and fight battles that nobody knows about".
                ~Author Unknown
                AF since February 4, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi OneRedShoe,

I cannot presume to give you advice but I just want to tell you how much I admire your determination to give up drinking. You must be a very strong woman and I know from your posts that you are very kind. The part about freezing in your garage made me wish you were my neighbor and could just come on over. I hope tomorrow is a better day.

- NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

Onered & anyone else.....
                    I don't think I have EVER received the recognition I wanted or deserved from my husband. He never said 'good job' to me for anything I did so when I quit drinking & smoking it was no different. I found coming here to MWO each & everyday to be sufficient - it had to be
                    I highly suggest working on your own gratitude list, expanding yourself spiritually a bit thru reading, meditation, etc all really helps as well. I think I've learned the hard way that we really can't depend on anyone but ourselves.

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!
                    Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Nosugar and Lavande.....I always try to find some kind of humor in situations like today. Whelp I found it. While trying to avoid my husband I decided to color my hair, NOT a good idea when you are flustered! I have dried it only to discover it is a nice shade of..well I am not exactly sure how to describe it, maybe a redder strawberry blonde. In my flustered state I mixed up the portions of each color I use.:H:H:H:H.
                      "Sometimes the strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, cry behind closed doors and fight battles that nobody knows about".
                      ~Author Unknown

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oneredshoe - You have a fabulous sense of humor and maybe your husband will notice your hair. 27 days is wonderful and even more so with the pressure you are under.. do you have a library near by or something nice like that you could go to? Good for you hanging in there in your cold garage!

I wish we could see your hair is sounds fabulous!

Comment

Newbies Nest

runningbird;1468706 wrote: Oneredshoe - You have a fabulous sense of humor and maybe your husband will notice your hair. 27 days is wonderful and even more so with the pressure you are under.. do you have a library near by or something nice like that you could go to? Good for you hanging in there in your cold garage!

I wish we could see your hair is sounds fabulous!
                          Oh I am most sure he will notice it, as he is not a big fan of red hair.:H:H:H Divine intervention perhaps to give me a laugh. Thanks for bumping me up to 27 days, I like the sound of that, but it is 21
                          There are many places like that I could go to, the problem is that I am extremely over protective of my Maggie (my puppy) and leaving her with him when he is wasted is not a option for me. Not that He would ever hurt her intentionally, but he stumbles around when he gets like this and I worry about him falling on or stepping on her, he also drops his sleep medication on the floor a lot, I usually hear it an pick it up so she doesn't get to it. See over protective......:H.

I would call my hair fabulously funny....so I may as well rock it for a while.
                          ~Author Unknown

Comment

Newbies Nest

One- I'm sure your hair is fab! Stay strong girlfriend!

I heard something the other day that made me think of when we have a slip and need to start over. The illustration was this: If you were walking up a flight of stairs and were at the third level and stumbled and fell, would you go back to the bottom and start over? Of course not! You'd get up and continue from where you left off!

I just wanted to share this thought for anyone that feels discouraged. Never give up...pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep going

I hope everyone had a great weekend. I am off to bed...going to gym at 5am. Yes I am crazy. LOL

xoxoxo
                            K9
                            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening Nesters.

First off, Congratulations to Nursie on your 7 day Full Moon! Way to go!

Runningbird, well done on two days! I only wish your brother could find his way here, too, and take this as his wakeup call as well. It's a blessing to get another chance before it's too late.

Onered, try to forgive and not take it personal. I cringe when I remember a few times I was told how obnoxious I had been. Not often, but I still cringe. There was one occasion in particular, one Halloween, where I had taken great pains to get a ton of candy in so that I could relax and drink, and not have to worry about running out. My husband just wanted to get rid of it all as soon as possible and turn off the lights. When I found out that all the candy was gone and it was still early in the evening, I not only went ballistic, (they told me later) but I got in the car and went out to get more candy. I still shudder about that night and what could have happened. I wish your husband could find his way here as well. It's really hard to deal with when someone who really needs help is not willing (yet) to get it. So painful for those that love them. In the meantime, you just wish the jerks would give it a rest and go to bed......
                              AF since 12/2/12
                              http://hamsnetwork.org/taper/

Comment

Newbies Nest

OneRedShoe, is that Maggie?😊
                                Beautiful pup!

Comment

Working...
                                X