Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hey NSug...
    "People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone."

? Audrey Hepburn, Actress and Philanthropist :heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Boozer and Runningbird, you are doing so well - those first few days are the worst. Every day you will see a little more light shining through!
      Day 14 for me - yesterday was crap but because it was so crap, today is even better. I got through a rough one! With everything that is going on in my life right now, I really did not see me getting past those first few days and now as each day passes I feel stronger and more adamant that I just don't want to go back.
      I remember the few days before day 1. I felt awful, and looked just as bad. I had got to the stage where I thought a heart attack or stroke was on the way.....sweating, palpatations......I even noticed red dry skin patches on my legs which I have not had since first coming here over 2 years ago. This feels like my first quit again as I let things slide so badly and if there was one regret I have always had about that first one 2 yrs ago, it was that I went back.
      It is so much harder to get started and stick at it when you have a few days drinking then quit for a couple of weeks and so on......I think because you are never quite in as bad a place as when we first arrive. Does that make sense?
      Anyway, hope everyone, especially those just starting out, waken today with peace in your heart and strength to go another day!
      Bobbieslife - hope you are feeling better today!
      IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
      Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

30 days it is

Ok, my story is pretty ordinary. I'm pretty sure I have an alcohol problem. When Im drinking, which is most of the time, I find it very difficult to go through an evening without a drink. If I can make it through an evening with no booze, then it is easy to carry on abstaining although i always find a way to get back on it soon, usually following a social event at home, when there is left over alcohol in the house.

Recently I have been drinking more. Last month I got into the habit of downing at least one and often two bottles of wine a night. I have also been taking a couple of aspirin a day for medical reasons. I think it is the combination of alcohol and aspirin that made me feel very sick, and I stopped both out of sheer terror.

I feel like I have turned a corner in my attitude to booze. Like I might want to kick it altogether.
        Over the past few days I have felt OK, but I have still been having heart palpitations, which I was having while drinking. When should I expect these to subside? I have also felt irritable and I have been unusually clumsy, dropping stuff and misjudging distance. Is this a normal reaction?

Thanks for the advice about 30 days abstinence. I will definitely do that. What happens after 30 days?

Thanks for reading.

CD

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Thank you all for the kind words regarding my mom. She is home and so far doing okay. I LOVE the posts about "hot flashes" I had a full hysterectomy in September and was told I would never go through menopause...took ovaries too and when I started to drink again, I swore the dr. was wrong and I was going through meno...WOW. Stinking booze.
          Here's another issue I would be interested in input. When quitting, did anyone experience watery eyes? Mine were tearing so bad that my eye exam was incorrect...and trust me, I am BLIND. The eye dr. gave me drops to dry my eyes up, but they kept going. Just wondering if anyone else had that.
          Have a great day

Comment

Newbies Nest

Made it through day 1.

Good morning at 3:04 am.
            Can't sleep but don't want to get out of bed this
            Early.
            I made it through day one. Want some sleep.

Talk to you all later in the day

Rednose
            All things in time if I am Alcohol free

Comment

Newbies Nest

Made it through day 1.

Good morning at 3:04 am.
              Can't sleep but don't want to get out of bed this
              Early.
              I made it through day one. Want some sleep.

Talk to you all later in the day

Rednose
              All things in time if I am Alcohol free

Comment

Newbies Nest

Great job newbies!!
                Runningbird: You should be very proud of yourself for not drinking that wine your mom was pushing on you! I can totally relate to how hard that was....Now here is a little trick that I can't take credit for, but I can say works WONDERS in situations such as what you were in last night: FOOD. Always have a little stash of something - I love roasted almonds plain and mixed in with roasted almonds covered in dark chocolate. They are crunchy, salty, sweet and good for you. It is amazing what a little bit of food (and a little bit of sugar) does for cravings.

As for our AL furnaces....it is funny how stupid we were to think it was menopause, but imagine what we were putting our bodies through that would prompt it to heat up like that and sweat? Our bodies were telling us STOP PUTTING THIS POISEN IN ME.....When I think of how dehydrated and tired my poor organs were in the morning I feel really sad. My body is me, why would I want to do that to myself? So now I make a conscious effort to really listen to what my body is telling me.

Rednose: I hope you were able to fall back to sleep!!! I have found that if I fall asleep with my laptop on and open, it wakes me up too early....the light from the screen I think tricks me into thinking it is daytime. Have you tried some sleepytime tea with valerian? That stuff makes me pretty sleepy and it is all natural with no side effects.

Anyway, I ramble. Today is day 30 for me. However, for me, it is just another day. I have been here before. This time, the urges are much more diminished and so I feel really strong. I don't deserve to drink. I deserve to be happy, healthy and free.
                I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning!
                  Off to work. Unhung and ready for the day.
                  Everyone have a great day!
                  Day 1 again 11/5/19
                  Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                  Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                  Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                  11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                  12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

BObby, how you making out? Adding some lemon to that water helps to flush the system. And nice hot showers. Somebody here told me that once and it really helped.
                    Day 1 again 11/5/19
                    Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                    Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                    Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                    11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                    12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Enjoying some coffee while waiting for the sun to make an appearance - don't think that's going to happen though, oh well.

Chillibird, it takes time for us to really feel 100% better physically when we quit. It probably would be safest for you to go see your GP re the palpitations, get your B/P checked & all that

struggles, sounds like eye allergies to me! I live in an area with a lot of farmland & I go through certain times of the year where itchy & watery eyes are annoying but fairly common.

rednose, hang in there, sleep will come. Try some herbal teas, I love them!

jennie, CONGRATS on your 30 AF days - keep going

Greetings Nursie & everyone. Wishing everyone a terrific AF Tuesday!
                      Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Everyone
                        That was my first night AL Free in years. The sweats are horrible but I keep some towels close by.
                        I have no energy, no appetite to eat, barely drinking that water, but know that I have to
                        Added the lemon good idea that helped make it better going down.
                        I finally fell asleep and then the phone rang, I could tell it was the number from the man that brought all this on. I did not pick up the phone and just knew that it would lead me to more drinking if I give in.
                        The phone calls are so darn childish and it can be one of my triggers , I know its they want to just make my life more miserable.
                        Just the constant thinking wants me to drink, but I don't want to go back to those days and whats its physically done to me. I will be almost 36 soon and never would think it would come to this. I am glad I can post and read and get help from the great people I met on this site. Thanks to you everyone for their support.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning friends, boy it is busy here!

Jenni, congratulations on your thirty days! What an accomplishment, and you had some trials this time too. You sound very strong and positive.

Runningbird, good job navigating those difficulties. Have you heard about HALT? Hungry, alone, lonely, tired as "triggers?" It is a helpful concept to use to take inventory of why we have cravings to drink.

It is K9 that made the comment about you will never wake up and wish that you had drank the night before. One of my favorites too!

Boozer, good job resisting the temptations. Our minds will always be able to find a "reason" to drink. The danger is that the real us might not always find a reason to get sober.

Amazing about the night sweats too. Just think of what we have been putting our bodies through!

See you all later, have a great AF day!
                          "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                          AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

BOBBIESLIFE...Good Morning.

Comment

Newbies Nest

jenniech;1469523 wrote: Today is day 30 for me. However, for me, it is just another day. I have been here before. This time, the urges are much more diminished and so I feel really strong. I don't deserve to drink. I deserve to be happy, healthy and free.
                              Wonderful work, Jennie!

- and it IS work!

I have thought about you, Persephone, and Slay often this month. We started together and often I would think "THEY can do it so there is no reason you can't do it, too". And when each of you posted during what seemed like the long days of Febrary, I would be so happy to see we all were hanging in there. I also would think about how if I failed, it would really be hard to see my quit-pals move on without me. I would be glad for you but so regretful and frankly, I am really sick of regrets!

You may have been to day 30 before but this can be the last one! Let's all of us stick together!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I know I know. It's early - I wake up early. My cat yells at me, beginning at 3am. She's 15/16 years old. She gets to yell if she wants.

Off to the gym.

-S-

Comment

Working...
                                X