Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters !

You are all doing so well, it is amazing what supporting one another can achieve.

I have another heavy week to face, but will be back posting soon.

Just wanted to pop in for Slay and NS

Slay..... Whatever happens with that man, you are done. No way can you end up carrying him. Men like him quickly find someone else to feed off. TRY to forget he exists.

No Sugar...... Now you are a little further along moods go in waves of days rather than hours. When you are on a down wave we find a hook to hang the feelings on.......then the up wave comes and we are fine again. All that is happening is the brain repairing.

Think of recovery like renovating a VERY dilapidated house. When you first quit the house, your body, is still functioning but a mess. Taps are leaking, walls peeling, doors hanging off their hinges. For some the house is near derelict and must be demolished. When you quit you go in and gut the house. It is exciting, you are energised at the dreams of how that house will be when it is finished. You have visions of the future, for us alcoholics we envision ourselves fit and slim and happy and everything is perfect.

At the beginning of the renovation we are stripping out the bad, light and air is let back into the house. We can get advice from people who have experience, from MWO, AA, Smart recovery etc. BUT no one else can build it for you, it is for YOU, not your family or spouse.

If there was a lot of damage there can come a moment when it all looks overwhelming. We feel like we have taken on too much. This is common during and at 30 days. Then we start to build, some weeks go well and some are frustrating and boring even. A room comes together....joy! The next week another area just won't come right, the cost seems too great, you are tired because of your day job, family, LIFE! You sometimes wish you had NEVER started.....after all the old house was functioning, wasn't it ? You may toy with giving up, but that is worse because you now know what could have been.

If you stick at it, your house will come together, slower than someone else's, maybe, but always improving, bit by bit, room by room. You will have weeks of fatigue, weeks of joy. If you stick at it you will have a brand new house, you will be so proud, neighbours will admire your efforts and the results ( some, however, may be jealous and some will try to sabotage your progress). YOUR house may be large and grandiose or a smaller cute cottage......but it all yours, YOU built it and can enjoy entertaining guests, although not all of them may be welcome back.

Just like a renovation you must stick it out even if you hit delays, fatigue, and changes to the original vision. Maybe you didn't get fit, lose weight, save your marriage etc.but your new house will be safe, warm and bring you joy. A place from which you can venture into the world knowing there is a haven at the end of each day.......not the old wreck you just wanted to get away from with alcohol.

But if you let alcohol back in, it is like taking a wrecking ball to that new house. You may have some good bits to salvage. The blueprint is still there, but you have to start ALL OVER AGAIN.

My house is nearly complete, it is weathertight, built on the solid ground of acceptance that the old house was NOT salvageable. There is still some painting, and internal fixtures and decor to finish. Just like a real house it will undergo makeovers from time to time........but I would be a damned fool to wreck this one, I may never have the strength to rebuild.

Comment

Newbies Nest

kuya;1471401 wrote: Good morning Nesters !

You are all doing so well, it is amazing what supporting one another can achieve.

Slay..... Whatever happens with that man, you are done. No way can you end up carrying him. Men like him quickly find someone else to feed off. TRY to forget he exists.

No Sugar...... Now you are a little further along moods go in waves of days rather than hours. When you are on a down wave we find a hook to hang the feelings on.......then the up wave comes and we are fine again. All that is happening is the brain repairing.

Think of recovery like renovating a VERY dilapidated house. When you first quit the house, your body, is still functioning but a mess. Taps are leaking, walls peeling, doors hanging off their hinges. For some the house is near derelict and must be demolished. When you quit you go in and gut the house. It is exciting, you are energised at the dreams of how that house will be when it is finished. You have visions of the future, for us alcoholics we envision ourselves fit and slim and happy and everything is perfect.

At the beginning of the renovation we are stripping out the bad, light and air is let back into the house. We can get advice from people who have experience, from MWO, AA, Smart recovery etc. BUT no one else can build it for you, it is for YOU, not your family or spouse.

If there was a lot of damage there can come a moment when it all looks overwhelming. We feel like we have taken on too much. This is common during and at 30 days. Then we start to build, some weeks go well and some are frustrating and boring even. A room comes together....joy! The next week another area just won't come right, the cost seems too great, you are tired because of your day job, family, LIFE! You sometimes wish you had NEVER started.....after all the old house was functioning, wasn't it ? You may toy with giving up, but that is worse because you now know what could have been.

If you stick at it, your house will come together, slower than someone else's, maybe, but always improving, bit by bit, room by room. You will have weeks of fatigue, weeks of joy. If you stick at it you will have a brand new house, you will be so proud, neighbours will admire your efforts and the results ( some, however, may be jealous and some will try to sabotage your progress). YOUR house may be large and grandiose or a smaller cute cottage......but it all yours, YOU built it and can enjoy entertaining guests, although not all of them may be welcome back.

Just like a renovation you must stick it out even if you hit delays, fatigue, and changes to the original vision. Maybe you didn't get fit, lose weight, save your marriage etc.but your new house will be safe, warm and bring you joy. A place from which you can venture into the world knowing there is a haven at the end of each day.......not the old wreck you just wanted to get away from with alcohol.

But if you let alcohol back in, it is like taking a wrecking ball to that new house. You may have some good bits to salvage. The blueprint is still there, but you have to start ALL OVER AGAIN.

My house is nearly complete, it is weathertight, built on the solid ground of acceptance that the old house was NOT salvageable. There is still some painting, and internal fixtures and decor to finish. Just like a real house it will undergo makeovers from time to time........but I would be a damned fool to wreck this one, I may never have the strength to rebuild.
      WHOYA KUYA IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:l:h:l:h. I am going to print this brilliant post and hang it on my bathroom mirror! So glad to se you back Mama K. I sure did miss you!
      "Sometimes the strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, cry behind closed doors and fight battles that nobody knows about".
      ~Author Unknown
      AF since February 4, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oneredshoe;1471423 wrote: WHOYA KUYA IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:l:h:l:h. I am going to print this brilliant post and hang it on my bathroom mirror! So glad to se you back Mama K. I sure did miss you!
        Hi One.......big week next week, but hopefully back to normal transmission soon

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 5 today.
          After buying the 1 lb box of Frango Mints and thinking of stopping for a hot dog on the way home, realized that I'm now trying to comfort myself with food. Have to exercise that same "NO" muscle I used when beginning to contemplate that bottle of wine. All of you on this board make such a difference to me. The support is unbelievable. I know I'm not on much and hope to someday contribute - but right now I'm just happy that I'm not drowning myself in the BIG bottle of wine and waking up miserable. Happy Friday all.
          10/14/13: I am truly grateful for another day in this amazing life. I'm sober and mindful of every moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

So... thats what a Friday night looks like. huh
            Happy friday night all! good night!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dayum;1471441 wrote: So... thats what a Friday night looks like. huh
              Happy friday night all! good night!
              Wait until you see Saturday morning....hang-over free!!! Good job!!
              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Dayum, in early sobriety Friday night feels empty. Six months sober and it feels amazing. It is Saturday morning here and last night I made an amazing supper, watched a film, caught up with friends in England by phone, did my hair, had a swim while listening to music.

Today I am going to a housewarming till the wee hours, coming home sober and tomorrow swimming then going for lunch at a friends farmhouse followed by wrangling some pigs :H and walking in the country.

Prior to getting sober my weekend looked like this.....

Friday night, exhausted, sit in front of TV, drink 500ml vodka.
                Saturday, hungover,cancel invite ( too 'tired' to drive) sit in front of TV, drink 500ml vodka.
                Sunday, hungover, cancel invite ( 'tired' ) sit in front of TV, drink 500ml vodka.

Huh ! :H

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Kuya - you just summed up last weekend for me. I just made arrangements with some non-drinking friends so that my Saturday and Sunday nights don't match tonight and yesterday - sitting in front of the TV with junk food and checking my empty emails and vacant Facebook page.
                  10/14/13: I am truly grateful for another day in this amazing life. I'm sober and mindful of every moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

ENORMOUS APPRECIATION!

kuya;1471401 wrote: Good morning Nesters !

Wow, Kuya, thank you for taking your time to offer this.

For the last while I have been much more tolerant of defects in the house my body lives in than in the body and mind my spirit live in. Thanks for the image - it will help me keep my thoughts that have been going in so many unproductive directions focused.

This is the thing I hope beyond all else is happening:
                    "All that is happening is the brain repairing."

This also really helps: "This is common during and at 30 days".
                    In my real life, I don't know any people who acknowledge being alcoholics so I have felt sometimes like I do have a horrible defect. If what I am experiencing is common or normal in the world of getting off alcohol, I am THRILLED to be average.

I also am so relieved to have met all the people on MWO who are wonderful people working on a problem, NOT DEFECTIVE PEOPLE!

And yes, "...here can come a moment when it all looks overwhelming." It does seem that way. I have honestly felt I couldn't breathe because of the weight on my chest. Stress just wrecks us.

I will stop or I'll be pointing out each and every reassuring line you wrote!

Like OneRedShoe, I also am keeping a copy of this close at hand.

Oh, just ONE MORE: It also helps to laugh and I sure did when I matched up some specific body parts with this description: "VERY dilapidated house. When you first quit the house, your body, is still functioning but a mess. Taps are leaking, walls peeling, doors hanging off their hinges".
                    :H:H:H

Again, thanks - NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

can't wait to celebrate with you sugar!!
                      kuya - you were sorely missed!! So good to hear from you.

I had somewhat of an "ah ha" moment(s) a the women's AA meeting tonight (sorry fellas, this doesn't apply to you)....One woman was talking about how she was always a heavy drinker but then once menopause started, the AL started changing for her. She got drunk in a different, more dangerous way. That is exactly what happened to me! I am not saying I was NOT an alcoholic before menopause, but I think the hormones + alcohol made me a bit more crazy than before. The other "ah ha" was when they were talking about manageability. AA is really into you having to "admit that your life has become unmanageable". That part has always been difficult for me because I have never had external problems like DUI, divorce, etc. as a result of drinking. I have a good husband (most of the time), wonderful kids a decent job and a nice home. I worked out everyday and made sure my kids were well taken care of. How could that mean my life was unmanageable??? Here is what I learned and what I will be thinking about A LOT in the next few days: It isn't the manageability of life as it appears to the outside world, it is how you feel INSIDE. Drinking makes me feel dead inside. It makes me ungrateful for what I have. It makes me not enjoy the good things in life. Therefore, my life from the inside was unmanageable. Make sense? food for thought...
                      I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

kuya;1471426 wrote: Hi One.......big week next week, but hopefully back to normal transmission soon
                        I hope that everything goes GREAT for you next week! I will be thinking many positive thoughts for you! Gosh Kuya it sure is good to "see" you again, feel like I have a little more pep in my step. :H
                        "Sometimes the strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, cry behind closed doors and fight battles that nobody knows about".
                        ~Author Unknown

Comment

Newbies Nest

02-25-2013, 04:24 PM. These brilliant words were written by Nosugar.....

NoSugar

Gallery: 0
                          A message from a Newbie to the Super-newbies
                          Hello,

I tried to stop drinking on my own the last half of 2012 and had reasonably good success when I was away from home visiting someone or on vacation but slipped back into old habits at home and would drink too much wine most evenings. Around Christmas I thought I had beaten AL but then regressed AGAIN. I found several online support forums and decided that I would try one despite never having participated in (or believed in the success of) anything like this. I visited the “new” section of 3 forums and liked this one best because of the overall tone members used with one another (mostly unconditional love and support) and the words of several of the successfully AF mentors in the Newbies Nest really resonated with me (I need to hear “straight talk”). So I lurked for awhile and finally got up the nerve to join. I also decided I had to make this work because:

1. I have to stop drinking.
                          2. I can’t do it alone.
                          3. I won’t voluntarily go to a face-to-face meeting.

So that is the background that made me give MWO a try. The point of this message is that I noticed several new people in the nest over the last few days that seem to want very much to succeed, just like I do.

Maybe the “MWO rules” I made for myself after lurking and learning from the people here who have remained AF for extended periods (Thanks to all of you!) that have helped me so far will help one of you:

1. Read as many threads as you can and post often. It takes a great deal of time and the latter is tricky if that is not your normal personality. It isn’t mine but I’ve forced myself to do it and it is becoming less difficult. I think it is important to post when you are feeling good and strong so that it feels natural for you to do it when you are struggling and need help. Plus, members can help you better if you have given them the chance to know you.
                          2. Don’t read threads that undermine your goals. For example, I do not read threads that promote moderation because I could feel myself losing my resolve to stay AF when I read them.
                          3. I promised myself that when tempted to drink, I would first post and give MWO the chance to work its magic. Because this is a global forum, it seems that someone who is willing to help you is always online. (Please give us more than 5 seconds! Be patient and someone will be there).
                          4. I promised myself I would post about my anxiety when an upcoming event would involve alcohol and I was worried about my ability to resist temptation. The ‘words of wisdom’ I received in responses have armored me.
                          5. I probably should have put this first – I resolved never to lie on MWO. Therefore, as a proxy for being accountable to myself, I am 100% accountable here. Just knowing I will have to post my failure motivates me not to fail.
                          6. Make this the # 1 priority in your life, ahead of reading books, watching movies, working out, etc. All of those things are a better part of my AF life right now but they are secondary to the work I do to be AF.
                          7. Be as kind to yourself as you see MWO members be to one another in their posts.

I hope something here can help one of you.

NoSugar

P.S. GET ALL OF THE ALCOHOL OUT OF YOUR HOUSE, GARAGE, CAR, OR WHEREVER ELSE YOU HID IT!!
                          Toolbox: https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html
                          Last edited by NoSugar : 02-25-2013 at 05:54 PM.
                          ~Author Unknown

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dear Nosugar,

This is my opinion on forgiving oneself. I feel that we often have a hard time forgiving ourselves for we may feel like we are condoning our past actions. We punish ourselves with guilt and shame, but this doesn't make us stronger. It holds us in the past and weakens us, making it harder for us to heal. Forgiving yourself will not change your past, but it can and will make your future so much brighter. Forgiving ourselves is very hard but is in my opinion necessary in order to build our house on a strong foundation. Being kind to ourselves is to forgive ourselves......I think you should make it an addition to rule #7. I am sending you love and peace.
                            ~Author Unknown

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wanted to be accountable this evening...

Had 2 drinks after dinner: no excuse except i had the meeting with the school principal regarding that awful woman...really been struggling with it. Need to be done and let it go.

Reading a lot here. Finished tonight itch honey toast, hot cocoa and a star trek.

:sigh:
                              On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                              *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you Onered,

I will always be honest here. I must stay accountable. Otherwise this is for me a waste of time.

:l

PS: I will experiment with forgiving myself. You're right; it won't change the past but it might make the future easier to bare.
                                :thanks:
                                On My Own Way Out Since May 20, 2012
                                *If you think poorly of yourself, you can fail with a clear conscience.
                                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html tool box
                                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-30074.html newbie nest

Comment

Working...
                                X