Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

kuya;1474320 wrote: Ah......Joan Larsen refers a lot to chemical sensitivity in her book 'seven weeks to sobriety'. A big factor in alcoholism, Multiple chemical sensitivities.
    That is interesting- I did not know there was a relationship. I struggled with it years b/f I drank, due to chronic exposure to chemicals in grad school. We were not as careful as we should have been. It passed with time but for awhile I had to RUN down the detergent aisle at the store. I still use I unscented products and don't get me NEAR a mothball!

Comment

Newbies Nest

What also annoys me Laststraw, is that alcohol is the EASIEST drug to quit ( hardest to stay quit because of social pressures)

So many people, including me, waste years before it gets sooooo bad, just because they thought it was too hard.

Arrrrgggghhhh!!!!!,

Comment

Newbies Nest

NoSugar;1474322 wrote: That is interesting- I did not know there was a relationship. I struggled with it years b/f I drank, due to chronic exposure to chemicals in grad school. We were not as careful as we should have been. It passed with time but for awhile I had to RUN down the detergent aisle at the store. I still use I inscented products and don't get me NEAR a mothball!
        That is interesting......get her book !

Comment

Newbies Nest

kuya;1474305 wrote: Slay, what is MCS ?

I want to start juicing and need to get a decent blender and recipes.....any suggestions ?
          Multiple Chemical Sensitivity.

I'd suggest you use a blender and make smoothies vs. getting a juicer. You get everything including the fiber with a smoothie. I started with my mini blender I had to try it out along with yoga. I could feel and see a difference within the first week. The other day the 'Nutribullet' arrived. It's approx $99 plus tax and shipping. Has a powerful motor and will grind up more things. It's cheaper than going with a Vitamix or such and does the job.
          You use 1/2 greens and 1/2 fruits and other veggies and then add a charger like hemp hearts, chia seeds, walnuts or a protein mixture. It's WORTH it! You get protein and so many nutrients packed into the drink and there is a ton of info online. Start with spinach as it is pretty mild tasting. I started with Spinach and Kale. My Nutribullet arrived Monday I believe. So I went out and bought a bunch of different greens this time and today I used the following and IT DID DETOX ME! lol

Dandelion greens
          Red Romaine Lettuce
          Parsley
          Carrot
          Red Grapes
          2/3 of an orange
          Banana
          Walnuts
          Small amount of unsweetened almond milk and wild berry juice and the rest water to the line.

Power lunch! If you add Hemp Hearts or such it helps fill you up and keep you full longer. The dandelion greens are great for the liver and digestive system. You can add lemon or lime, too if you want to kick it up. I think mine kicked me enough. LOL! I'd get one. I think you'll love it and the health it gives you. My skin is better already.

Oh and the Nutribullet comes with recipes and there are tons online. I just make my own, but you can get ideas and play with it.
          Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

Slaythefear;1474325 wrote: Multiple Chemical Sensitivity.

I'd suggest you use a blender and make smoothies vs. getting a juicer. You get everything including the fiber with a smoothie. I started with my mini blender I had to try it out along with yoga. I could feel and see a difference within the first week. The other day the 'Nutribullet' arrived. It's approx $99 plus tax and shipping. Has a powerful motor and will grind up more things. It's cheaper than going with a Vitamix or such and does the job.
            You use 1/2 greens and 1/2 fruits and other veggies and then add a charger like hemp hearts, chia seeds, walnuts or a protein mixture. It's WORTH it! You get protein and so many nutrients packed into the drink and there is a ton of info online. Start with spinach as it is pretty mild tasting. I started with Spinach and Kale. My Nutribullet arrived Monday I believe. So I went out and bought a bunch of different greens this time and today I used the following and IT DID DETOX ME! lol

Dandelion greens
            Red Romaine Lettuce
            Parsley
            Carrot
            Red Grapes
            2/3 of an orange
            Banana
            Walnuts
            Small amount of unsweetened almond milk and wild berry juice and the rest water to the line.

Power lunch! If you add Hemp Hearts or such it helps fill you up and keep you full longer. The dandelion greens are great for the liver and digestive system. You can add lemon or lime, too if you want to kick it up. I think mine kicked me enough. LOL! I'd get one. I think you'll love it and the health it gives you. My skin is better already.

Oh and the Nutribullet comes with recipes and there are tons online. I just make my own, but you can get ideas and play with it.
            Thanks Slay:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

NoSugar;1474322 wrote: That is interesting- I did not know there was a relationship. I struggled with it years b/f I drank, due to chronic exposure to chemicals in grad school. We were not as careful as we should have been. It passed with time but for awhile I had to RUN down the detergent aisle at the store. I still use I unscented products and don't get me NEAR a mothball!
              Wow, No Sugar. Me, too! Only I was really sick for years after being poisoned. It's a long story, but I had to live in a bubble environment for many years. Have you heard of Cindy Duehring? I was as sick as she was, but I got better with a massive amount of research and determination. I am still sensitive, but I can function again. Damn near killed me. She wasn't as fortunate and got worse and died of seizures.

So interesting my quit buddy this time has sensitivity to chemicals.
              Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

Back in my day, we only had cookies to use to quit....none of these newfangled nutrabullets and smoothie doohickies....you Newbie's got it too easy these days!!

:gramps:
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

kuya;1474326 wrote: Thanks Slay:h
                  I know there are several people doing it around here. I heard of the Nutribullet from Lolab and then FA ordered one and liked it, so I jumped on that one. There is a thread in one of the sections about juicing I think. I posted on it once. Tons of info out there online. Lolab gave the suggestion that she freezes her Kale and I did freeze some to help it last longer. I think you'll love it.:l Let me know if you try it out. You can start with your own blender but it probably won't break down carrots and such into the smoothie, but maybe. I love to have a banana in mine. I used avocado instead a couple times for creaminess. Pineapples, apples, mangos, kiwis, berries of all types, melon...you name it.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1474328 wrote: Back in my day, we only had cookies to use to quit....none of these newfangled nutrabullets and smoothie doohickies....you Newbie's got it too easy these days!!

:gramps:
                    ROTFL!!!!!!!! Hey, Byrd, I put on ten lbs with all the cookies and ice cream and you name it. If it was sweet, it was going in my mouth. (Don't let Patrick hear that) That wasn't going to cut it for much longer, so I started the yoga then trying the smoothies with just a few things. Now I'm going to really get into it. I'm losing the craving for junk. Try it!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Slay, can't you try moderating the cookies instead of ripping them out totally....for...for KALE!! I never drank anything green and I be darned if I'm gonna start now! Fists shaking!! (unless someone makes me one and it tastes good!!).
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters,

Maybe it is not a big deal and you all know about this already but when I did a Google search for the book Kuya just recommended to me, WE CAME UP!

Newbies Nest - Page 3335 - My Way Out Forums
                        www.mywayout.org/.../newbies-nest-333...
                        7 posts - 4 authors - 18 hours ago
                        ... chemical sensitivities Ah......Joan Larsen refers a lot to chemical sensitivity in her book 'seven weeks to. ... A big factor in alcoholism, apparently. .... Slay, what is MCS ? I want to start ...

Obviously this is a public forum but google-level public caught me off guard!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1474332 wrote: Slay, can't you try moderating the cookies instead of ripping them out totally....for...for KALE!! I never drank anything green and I be darned if I'm gonna start now! Fists shaking!! (unless someone makes me one and it tastes good!!).
                          You crack me up!!!! You and your cookies! lol Hey, I'm the queen of junk food. You know the girl that eats sweets in the morning. Ah, just one more...yeah! The sugar addiction was as bad as the AL addiction. I thought when I quit AL I'd lose weight. Hell no! I was dumping in junk.

Seriously, the smoothies can taste very good. You put the right fruits with the right greens and yes, they are good. However, if you want a milkshake, you may have to put some good tasting protein mix in there. I was using strawberries and bananas with spinach and a few other things and it was pretty tasty. We'll convert you eventually. As it catches on more around here, you'll start getting like my Chinchilla...curious and have to explore it. LOL!

If not, will you eat a cookie for me, please?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

I haven't been around much lately but wanted to wish LastStraw CONGRATS

Byrdie, I quit with cookies & M&Ms too :H
                            At some point I put a stop to the sugar cravings with some L-Glutamine.

I wish I could jump into the raw food craze more but I find it overworks my digestion (if you know what I mean) I hope everyone else enjoys their juicing

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!
                            Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am listening!! I am not in denial about my cookie eating!!! I actually think it'd be bettter for my colitis if I ate better...so I am paying attention...and if you all don't die, I'll prolly try it!! Another kitchen gadget to get! I'll cram it in here somewhere!
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1474341 wrote: I am listening!! I am not in denial about my cookie eating!!! I actually think it'd be bettter for my colitis if I ate better...so I am paying attention...and if you all don't die, I'll prolly try it!! Another kitchen gadget to get! I'll cram it in here somewhere!
                                ROTFL!!!! It's just one more gadget! :H So if we start dropping off like flies, save the cash! I knew I was a pig with all that junk food, but now I've turned into a guinea pig?

I'll keep you posted. This one today sent my digestive track into detox mode, but it was for detox, so I'm not complaining. I won't be drinking one that potent everyday. Between that and the paint fumes, I'm ready for bed. On that note, night nesters!

Love,

Slay

Comment

Working...
                                X