Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Slaythefear;1474327 wrote: Wow, No Sugar. Me, too! Only I was really sick for years after being poisoned. It's a long story, but I had to live in a bubble environment for many years. Have you heard of Cindy Duehring? I was as sick as she was, but I got better with a massive amount of research and determination. I am still sensitive, but I can function again. Damn near killed me. She wasn't as fortunate and got worse and died of seizures.

So interesting my quit buddy this time has sensitivity to chemicals.
    I will go look CD up, Slay, as I have not heard of her (we'll see what The Google does with us this time!):H

I am sorry you have had to deal with MCS. It is a tough one when your environment makes it hard to function and some people consider your problem to be psychosomatic. I hope you found good medical support. It helps that with the "greening" of America, some of my biggest triggers like the outgassing from new products is getting to be less of a problem.

Just like I appreciate being AF each day, I have for years been very grateful not to be so extremely reactive to our sadly toxic modern environment.

Be well, quit-pal!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I can't use any laundry soap with smelly perfumes either. Once I switched to this really nice-smelling scent and immediately got the worst, urm, yeast infection-ish thing of my life. I itched so bad 'there' that I wanted a wire brush. I started googling, of course, and saw there were many women like me. Most had been suffering for a long time, but one or two chalked theirs up to allergies. I thought of the one new thing in my life and stopped it. Thank heavens that worked because I was MISERABLE. I am very sensitive to lots of chemicals and also medicines.
      Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks for the welcome Siren.:thanks: , not sure if I am ready to share my story yet.This is still a bit raw admitting to myself that alcohol and I aren't friends anymore. ( Tuesday )I look forward to reading everyone's story and will hopefully share with everyone soon.:new:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm glad you came over Caz. As I said this is a great place for support. Read read read and post post post. Share when you're ready.

:colorwelcome:
          Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Newbies Nest

My breakfast for past couple of months:
            healthy handful of baby spinach
            heaping tablespoon of powder protein (first tried soy, now trying rice)
            ground up flax seed
            L - Glutamine
            handful of mixed berries from my freezer
            small handful of walnuts
            1/2 a banana
            water
            Then I BULLET it. Delicious!!

As for smells - when people put on too much cologne, I want to vomit!!!

Today I am angry. A big perk in being sober for me is being able to go skiing with no hangover - it really is so much better! Anyway, tomorrow I was supposed to help mentally and/or physically challenged people ski - mainly help them on and off the ski lifts. I would NEVER be able to volunteer to do that if I were drinking as it requires me to get up really early, drive 2 hours, ski with these people, then drive the 2 hours home. I was also going to take my 13 year old.....
            I am angry because now I am sick....sore throat, fatigue, headache, swollen and tender lymph nodes in my neck....I don't think I will be able to go. I was really looking forward to skiing, to showing my son the power of community service, to helping people....and I know I shouldn't care. but I know that if I back out, the rest of my group of volunteers will think I am making it up....NOT SO.

Anyway, it is frustrating to have to cancel something.....but I guess my reasons are better than the reason of being hungover.
            YUK
            I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

new job

Hello Nesters - Day 12 here. I have been "on the brink" of a new job for several months. I've been in my current job for a very, very, very, very long time. No stress, no demands, I can phone it in. I can show up waaaaay hungover, even loaded, and no one notices or it doesn't matter. New job is exciting and engaging, lots more accountability and responsibility - I can so totally handle it. But. You got it - no way can I ever be off game (i.e. hungover) - it is too visible a position, and I would be unable to handle the fast pace. I am so afraid to take the leap and commit! Being in the nest has been so inspiring, these 12 days have been relatively easy, but I've got wobbly knees here. I don't want a life with hangovers and not remembering the last hour before I went to bed/passed out. I am not yet willing?able?certain? to say never again. When I think of myself doing this job, I feel so much happier - so much the person I want to be. Can I be that person?
              10/14/13: I am truly grateful for another day in this amazing life. I'm sober and mindful of every moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Friday Nesters! It's an exciting weekend coming up, 4 sure! :alf: Today I need to go over and help decorate the float for tomorrow mornings parade. This Hippy is going "green" and so are my 3 girls. There are so many great things to do (Highland games) and food to munch on (Corned Beef and Cabbage). Things to avoid ... BEER TENT! :H I'll have my canteen filled with Root Beer instead! A wee little birdie told me that some may even caught a glimpse of Men in kilts! OMG, I won't even answer that question :H !! Have a safe, happy SOBER weekend ALL :goodjob: !
                Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Newbies Nest

:welcome:Welcome to the wonderful world of Sobriety! :goodjob:
                  I'm Strong and in Control;1474561 wrote: Hello Nesters - Day 12 here. I have been "on the brink" of a new job for several months. I've been in my current job for a very, very, very, very long time. No stress, no demands, I can phone it in. I can show up waaaaay hungover, even loaded, and no one notices or it doesn't matter. New job is exciting and engaging, lots more accountability and responsibility - I can so totally handle it. But. You got it - no way can I ever be off game (i.e. hungover) - it is too visible a position, and I would be unable to handle the fast pace. I am so afraid to take the leap and commit! Being in the nest has been so inspiring, these 12 days have been relatively easy, but I've got wobbly knees here. I don't want a life with hangovers and not remembering the last hour before I went to bed/passed out. I am not yet willing?able?certain? to say never again. When I think of myself doing this job, I feel so much happier - so much the person I want to be. Can I be that person?
                  Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                  https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Newbies Nest

good morning! Smoothies are great - I just don't think there are enough hours in the day to eat all the good stuff that you're supposed to eat...so smoothies, for me, are a great way to pack some of that stuff in. Trust me, if you put some mixed berries in - you won't even know there's kale or spinach in there - the fruit even keeps it from being "green"...I make one for my son every morning with banana, frozen organic mixed fruit, kale, sunflower seeds, and kefir. Mine is a little more adventurous - LOL...usually with wheatgrass powder or powdered greens of some sort - kale - banana - kefir - ground flaxseed meal, sunflower seeds - and sometimes canned pumpkin and organic rolled oats. I also have goji berries, pumpkin seeds, ...wait...there's a juicing/smoothie thread? I best move this over there. sorry.

Anyway...Byrdie - I want you to carefully read over the ingredients listed above....Do you see "diet coke" listed anywhere??? :H No. No diet coke. That's key.

I hope everyone remembers to review their plan before the weekend. Even if you're going along smooth sailing...you never know when something can pop up that can derail you. Stay on your toes and be prepared in advance - for temptations...make a list of things to do to keep yourself occupied. If your mind is drifting towards thinking about alcohol. Stop - and do a complete 180. Do something else and take your mind off it....just change your task. If you're sitting outside in the sun (I wish) and you think how nice it would be to have a drink. Get up. Pick up dog poo. Go inside. Take a nap. Exercise. Paint a room. Anything to change the environment that led you to thinking about alcohol.

lola
                    ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

ok....it took me 20 minutes but I found the Juicing/smoothie thread. For anyone else interested:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ing-73697.html
                      ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Does anybody here use GABA? Sorry if this is in teh incorrect thread but didn't like to start a new thread. My counsellor put me on Fish oils and Gaba a few weeks ago but GABA has been taken off the market here and I was wondering if it's worth ordering from abroad. The health store gave me L-Theanine instead which they claim is a close substitute.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Nesters! Today is another day to prove to yourself that you can be and ARE in control of your choices. A day to make your life better. One step leads to another and pretty soon you will be making leaps and bounds. So fight this fight with all your might. That's my rhyme for the thread. Ha!

Brydlady, I just did a quick search on Green Smoothies and Colitis and I think you should do some research and reading. It looks like it can help a lot. For one you are getting the nutrients you need for healing. For two, the food is ground down for easy absorption and less taxing on the digestive system. However, I'm not sure about fiber. I can do some looking around at a later time, but if I were you, I'd take a look into it. I've had so many health issues that I've used alternative medicine or options outside of the regular doctor route because they weren't helping me, so do yourself a favor and learn as much about your condition as possible and apply that smart brain of yours to it. Doctors are motivated by drug companies and such. You may have a good one, but I've been through the ringer with 'the for profit' medical system. I've used herbs, diet, all kinds of things to get myself out of illness and most of it was from my own research and experimentation. I'm alive today because of it.

Jenn is a smoothie gal, too. This is really catching on and I know why. Jenn, don't worry about what they think and you'll get another opportunity to do things that are positive with your son. This is just one event. Don't sweat the small stuff. Life has too many big things that come along that need your attention.

Lolab, I agree with the kale and spinach being pretty low key. My smoothies are still green though. I use quite a bit of greens. Some of the greens are bitter though. I used dandelion greens yesterday for detox and it took a lot to get past the bitter taste, but it's great for the liver and digestive track. At least everyone knows there is a juice/smoothie thread now.

Glad you are feeling better, Hipster. Kilts? I have some celtic music in my favorites I like. I have an online friend who is Scottish and he sends me tunes now and then. I like a lot of it...but not too much on the bagpipes and kilt stuff.

Well, hang tough today or tonight everyone. Set your mind on victory and it will be yours. For those of us who aren't in our first 30 days, adding the healthy behaviors and diets in is really helping. You start to feel so much better you don't want to go back.

Love,

Slay
                          Rule your mind or it will rule you. It is from a thought that an action grows. :bat

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'mStrongandInControl....I betcha if you read that post you just wrote you'd find the 'hidden answers' you seek!!
                            Your name. I'm Strong and In Control. But as long as AL on board, are you? If you are like 99% of us here, the answer is no. You sought out and are participating in a problem AL forum, and are 12 days sober and feeling great, right?? Right now, you ARE strong and in control, but as soon as you drink...you once again, relinquish those reigns. It's really as simple as that. Addiction is a bitch.
                            I also notice your signature line....If not now, when? That's a great question! Kuya so eloquently writes that she waited to quit for 23 years because she was afraid. We all were! But what we feared isn't anywhere NEAR as bad as we thought! In fact...it is do-able, right?? You can put it off for another year and be asking the same questions next year like I did...only in your case, you'll have passed up a great job opportunity, so you'll have to throw that in.
                            I also notice that you posted in the Mods section the other day....I noticed this because your name is long and it stood out, so I went over and read. If you want to KEEP strong and in control, you will keep AL out of your life. I noticed that one of the responses was...'beware of the haters'. Nice....we are the bad guys now, for trying to keep you sober. Be careful of the Voices you listen to. If 99 people walk off a cliff and die are you going to play the odds that you are the 1 that can do it and live? I hope not. At least get your 30 days in before you listen to anyone else about AL. We all agree that's the best plan, right?
                            The beauty of this site (if you are smart enough to pay attention to it) is that you can see your past, present AND FUTURE!! I know, it's nuts!! Just look around, you won't find ONE person who is glad that they went BACK to drinking. NOT ONE. NOT. ONE. So that's pretty strong in my opinion.
                            If you want this new job, and it sounds like you do...move forward and grab it. Stick with us and make your plan. Not one drink, not ever! You will never be sorry you are sober. Moderation is fine for everything....except addiction. I have a great post on letting go...let me go fish that out for you. It may help!! The future WITH AL is scary...the future without it, isn't!!! B
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

ISAIC, here is the post by KTAB on Letting go....

Letting go.

Acceptance and denial seem to me to be key elements of moving on. How many of us have truly 100% accepted our alcoholism and let go of the niggling doubt that maybe somehow someday the clock could magically be turned back to a time when we were 'normal'?

As I see it, it is very simple, we have two choices, accept our problem, make the life changing changes necessary or continue to skirt the real issue. I have been clean now for a little while but a couple of weeks ago the friday night feeling hit and the thoughts of how nice a beer or two would be in the local and the cravings of course started. Two beers would have been nice and I am pretty sure I could have stopped at two but it would just have awoken the beast in me again and I would drink again the next day. Maybe its only me but food is somewhat similar, when I get in the mood for say a pizza or an indian meal and dont have it that night, the thought will sit there semi dormant but I will end up eating that food at some time over the next couple of days. I wonder if this is indicative of how the craving and reward centers of my brain are programmed.
                              Anyway I digress, I didnt drink on the friday but of course the thoughts werent far away and on saturday afternoon I was in the supermarket and found myself in front of the mountain of wine bottles, I picked one up and put it back down, I had allowed the thought to come to me 'hey about a bottle of wine to have with dinner?' I ran with it and then it came the 'maybe you should get two just in case' Then it hit me like a sledge hammer who was I kidding, this addiction wasnt going to go away, the alkie thinking was still there, the lying, the hiding the sneaky drinks were only a breath away. I stopped and bought a bottle of coke.

So I got to thinking about this, was there some part of me still clinging onto the idea that I can drink again? Obviously there is. So what do I do about it? I am back to the two choices, either I accept this or I dont. I believe it is very hard for us to accept that this is our life now and I think that is why so many here keep failing time after time, because they dont give it over totally, I am probably one of the biggest offenders.

If there is a big grey animal in the room with a tusk and a trunk it can only be an elephant. If I am still here posting on an alkie forum after nearly three years looking to help my problem drinking then I am an alcoholic, so if I am born 4 foot 6 with a one ear, green eyes and a big conk I cant change that can I? no more than I can change the fact of my alcoholism either but I can accept the fact. Ok, thats sorted, so without being over dramatic I can stop drinking or I can continue which would undoubtably take years off of my life and result in the quality of the years I have left a hollow shell of what they could be.

After true acceptance comes a sense of relief, a sense of peace and the first step on the path to gratitude for finding however we did the true escape and the right to lead a full and proper life without the ball and chain of AL chaffing the skin on our ankles.
                              Letting go sounds good to me, how about you?

Take care,
                              Johnny
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Starting at day one once again

Not much to say.. Starting over at day one today.

All the best

rednose
                                All things in time if I am Alcohol free

Comment

Working...
                                X