Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hello everybody.....I am a newbie. I have been struggling with drinking for many years......I got divorced 4 years ago in June from an alcoholic. I had no idea how much I had been drinking too, and thought after I divorced him, I would stop. I decided to take a year to party it up and then cut back...except cutting back has proved difficult. I have progressively cut back but I would like to take it a step further.....perhaps even quit. I am in a high-powered career....entertaining clients, and celebrating wins....so the thought of completely giving it up scares me. I have cut back enough that I have not been hung-over much in quite sometime but I still find myself drinking too often and really for no reason. When I make up my mind that I am not drinking I can do it, but all too often, I do not make up my mind. I am hoping to read some of your stories to remind myself that I do not need to drink....I really dont. I started my business 3 years ago with one partner who drinks far more than I do....and I find myself drinking with him when I am not even in the mood. Our business is doing well but we could do soooo much better if we can get this under control. I am thinking about ordering these vitamins and tapes but have just found the website.....any thoughts on all of this....so happy to have found this and am able to talk about this with someone......I have been keeping a journal since my divorce and seen a recurring theme in it......too much alcohol!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters!

Well, I took the plunge and signed up for an Olympice distance triathlon at the end of August. I'm thrilled and scared and can't wait to start training. I downloaded a 12 week couch to sprint training plan and then I'll start a 10 week Olympic training plan. That should take me close to the race day.

I'm also planning on doing some of the P90X workouts and following the diet. That should correspond with the first 12 weeks so when I ramp it up for the Olympic training I'll be lean and mean. And there is no alcohol allowed in the diet.
      Well it's all right now. I've learned my lesson well. You see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Miley and Lucy- and WELCOME to our nest!! You have both landed in a great spot if you are really serious about giving up the drink- and it sounds as though you are! You will find loads of support here any time of the day or night. Miley, checking in daily is a wonderful idea. The more you hang out in the nest, the more benefit you will receive. Lucy, I cannot advise on the CDs or supplements but there will be someone along soon who can talk about that. In the early days, it is best to read, read, read and post, post, post. Get yourself a foolproof plan for making it through the days and nights AF. There are ideas in the mwo toolbox which you can access by clicking the link below. Before you guys know it you will be racking up those AF days!
        :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, siren, we cross posted. That sounds great for you! That's just what you need to make yourself feel better about other situations (like work) that are out of your control . Great job!
          :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome Sweetie, Miley, and Lucy! I like to suggest reading back a couple weeks to get to know us here in the Nest...it is a great place if you are serious about getting the AL Monkey off your back. Feel free to share the truth....we have either seen it, or DONE it....UGG. You are in good company who understands. It is such a relief to be off THAT bus!
            We are so glad you've joined us! Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Why?
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by kuya
              Elliesmum.....you made me cry !

dont do that again!
              https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Because I have terrible issues around crying......I should do it more Hippy, but don't :upset:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome to sweetie, miley and Lucy.

Lucy ..... All I can say about sobriety is I would never want to go back to even moderate drinking........ Sober is the new drunk IMO

Comment

Newbies Nest

I agree, Kuya!! Sober IS the new drunk! :H

Here's how the female mind works....
                  I got an advertisement in the mail, it was for some fancy spa here in town, they talked about relaxing and aroma's and gels and such...my mind immediately said, this lady is so pretty, she looks like she really has it going on...she's prolly one of those that doesn't drink....I had a twinge of jealousy!!!!Then I thought...DAM, I AM ONE OF THOSE THAT DON'T DRINK! It was kind of neat....(I guess you had to be there).
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hippyman;1482478 wrote: Yep, it's 6 months TODAY that I've been free from alcohol YEAH. We are pigging out on apple pie to celebrate! My World has changed so much and I am very grateful!!! :l
                    Oh Hippy......I am so very happy for you! I honestly can't wait to celebrate 6 months free of alcohol, that is a ways off as but I will be at 50 consecutive AF days tomorrow and it feels damn good. :H
                    "Sometimes the strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, cry behind closed doors and fight battles that nobody knows about".
                    ~Author Unknown
                    AF since February 4, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Siren136;1482570 wrote: Hi Nesters!

Well, I took the plunge and signed up for an Olympice distance triathlon at the end of August. I'm thrilled and scared and can't wait to start training. I downloaded a 12 week couch to sprint training plan and then I'll start a 10 week Olympic training plan. That should take me close to the race day.

I'm also planning on doing some of the P90X workouts and following the diet. That should correspond with the first 12 weeks so when I ramp it up for the Olympic training I'll be lean and mean. And there is no alcohol allowed in the diet.
                      Good for you Siren! I have done the insanity workout before and am going to start doing it again as soon as my move is done, I loved it when I was doing it. P90X does the body and mind good!!!!!!!!! :goodjob:
                      "Sometimes the strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, cry behind closed doors and fight battles that nobody knows about".
                      ~Author Unknown

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm back on Day 1..... My goal is 7 . I remember feeling really happy about day 10 last time like Ellie mentioned.... I want to feel that way again

Comment

Newbies Nest

Icanwithoutacan;1482648 wrote: I'm back on Day 1..... My goal is 7 . I remember feeling really happy about day 10 last time like Ellie mentioned.... I want to feel that way again
                          Glad to see you back up and running! :goodjob: You can do this, I know you can. Be 100% committed it makes a huge difference. Sending you strength and love.
                          ~Author Unknown

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning nest.

I have certainly been having my "tests" these last 11 days. My job has become so stressful, and I've had to travel a lot for work. Then, I went out of town with my husband over the weekend to go to a big fundraiser party a friend of ours was hosting and did not drink - I was the designated driver. Driving back last night from our weekend trip, a neighbor called and said there was a tornado touchdown in our neighborhood, and we've had a lot of damage to our house.

Wonderful! I know I've read, and I think it's true - each thing you get through without AL makes you stronger, and I think it's true. The party was actually very fun and I did not miss the AL at all. In fact, I felt sorry for the people who were overly drunk and would feel horrible the next day. I also finished reading the Carolyn Knap book "Drinking: A love affair". I related to most of her book - but one thing she said really stuck out to me. She had a twin sister who did not drink (or wasn't an Alcoholic). They lost both their parents within a year of each other to cancer. Carolyn drank through the whole painful experience. And looking back, in retrospect, she noted that her sister had gone through all of those same emotions she had without having to numb them with Alcohol. It made me think about the fact that I'm sure I used AL just to numb things out rather than just feel the emotions. And I wondered at what point did that become "normal" for me? What's wrong with experiencing emotions??? So that is my thought for the day.

Hope everyone has a great day in the nest.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well I blew all these days AF. My mom is back in the hospital and they believe she had a heart attack. Because of the small town she lives in, she needs to be transported to a bigger hospital to have an angiogram. She is in such bad health. Well I let the stress get to me and drank about a case of beer daily since last Wednesday. I have no money and no limits left on my credit card so until the banks open at 9am, I am unable to go out and buy more beer. I woke this morning to get the kids up for school and am so dizzy and feel lousy. As I sit hear with tears, I am thinking I am such a failure. I know I can do this and I have before, but I let my guard down and it's killing me. I haven't showered in days and just drank all day long and slept off and on. The ironic thing is that I closed on my house and now own it so I should be happy and sober. But, then my mom again and I hit the beer. I thought I will have a couple, yeah, right. So I am back on day 1 and feeling like shit. I started a journal and I reread some of my entries, I was happy and sober and getting healthy again. I'm sipping water, NOT BEER and will do a LOT of soul searching.

Comment

Newbies Nest

MYLIFE, yes...what's wrong with the experience of emotions? that's a good thought to ponder.

-S-

Comment

Working...
                                X