Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hey Lolab!!! It's great to 'see' you! We sure have missed you around here! AND, we are jealous that you are ditching us for warmer climes...ENJOY your vacation!!! I know what you mean about this winter...it just won't let go. Hugs to you dear lady, and travel safely!! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

NoSugar;1483614 wrote: Hi, Quest.

That seems to be a really common fear but here's the deal IMO: That can be dealt with after you feel 'safely sober'.

In the early days, just eat whatever you want that enables you NOT to drink and don't worry about it. When you are past the white-knuckle part and you are thinking straighter and have more energy, you can make better food choices, do the necessary cooking, etc. Even then, you need to stay FULL. It is very very easy for your brain to mistake low blood sugar for an alcohol craving. I used to deliberately get my blood sugar low to get the RUSH from breaking the fast with red wine. This wasn't deliberate in the sense of planning it but over time, I had subconsciously adjusted my behavior so that it happened. I know now I was chasing the feeling of relief from that first glass that spiked my blood sugar and the quicker buzz from drinking on an empty stomach.

After this first tough bit, if you keep yourself satiated with high quality foods (IMO, good fats, some protein, and veggie carbs), the cravings might not even develop. If they do, just EAT, and the craving will go away. (For now, carbs are going to quench that biological signal best because they will rapidly increase your blood sugar).

Then, when all of that blood sugar business is straightened out, come join some of us on the RealFoodRecipe thread -- we're sharing ideas for making some really good food. The link is in my signature.

Not allowing yourself to get hungry could be the key
      you are looking for, Quest!!

Have a great day, NS
      You are completely right NS - just had a yogurt and I'm gonna grab an apple to munch on - that will put me on till I get home. Not half got a headache though...........

Gonna take some more supps and grab on with both hands to whiteknuckle tonight out.

Let you know how I get on
      Trying again from 22nd September 2014 Keeping it simple. Keeping it real.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Icanwithoutacan;1483620 wrote: Quest, lmao at the.5.......��
        :H:H:H

Well, it's mine and I'm keeping it :H

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Lola! So good to see you! I hope your eyes get better...I have missed you around here! Enjoy the rest of your vacation and soak up the sunshine. :l

Quest - I'll be white knuckling it tonight too against the cigs. Kuya mentioned that Kudzu helped her with cravings (for smoking), I have some so I will give it a go. I have GOT to do whatever it takes this time! Both of us should remember that it won't stay this hard forever...so let's just get through the first few days...ok?

I am off at Noon today (government furloughs). My daughter is going to take the test to get her drivers permit this afternoon...I'm actually looking forward to her driving, it's about time I can sit back and be chauffered around like I deserve to be. LOL
          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9Lover;1483672 wrote: I'm actually looking forward to her driving, . LOL
            K9, I would have said that only so that I had someone to drive me while I was drunk!

My plan today? Worked out this AM, work, then Zumba after work for some great calorie burn. Hopefully whiteknuckles will have nothing to do with my day.

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Newbies Nest

Overit44;1483674 wrote: K9, I would have said that only so that I had someone to drive me while I was drunk!

My plan today? Worked out this AM, work, then Zumba after work for some great calorie burn. Hopefully whiteknuckles will have nothing to do with my day.
              So true Overit! I wonder how many times I would have talked her into driving me to the liquor store and threatening to drive myself if she didn't drive me? Sad...but I can see myself doing that! I'm so glad I don't put HER or myself in those situations anymore. That's not a decision a 16 year old should have to make...

Have fun at Zumba! My daughter and I did that twice a few weeks ago and it was lots of fun. You know what's sad, a few years ago I used to go to the gym at 4:45 in the morning...after a night of rum and cokes (less calories ya know)...HOW in the world I did that I will never know! I just remember I could smell the rum coming out of my pores when I sat in the sauna. Thank goodness there was nobody else in there at that ungodly hour of the day!
              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9Lover;1483678 wrote: So true Overit! I wonder how many times I would have talked her into driving me to the liquor store and threatening to drive myself if she didn't drive me? Sad...but I can see myself doing that! I'm so glad I don't put HER or myself in those situations anymore. That's not a decision a 16 year old should have to make...

Have fun at Zumba! My daughter and I did that twice a few weeks ago and it was lots of fun. You know what's sad, a few years ago I used to go to the gym at 4:45 in the morning...after a night of rum and cokes (less calories ya know)...HOW in the world I did that I will never know! I just remember I could smell the rum coming out of my pores when I sat in the sauna. Thank goodness there was nobody else in there at that ungodly hour of the day!
                Euuuggghhh - working out with a hangover ?????? Tried that once and nearly passed out on the stairmaster..........followed by a swift run to the ladies room - well, we'll leave that one there lol

And thanksd K9 for your reply - must beat the ciggies myself too - one step at a time

Comment

Newbies Nest

Almost 7 days AF I thought this would go away the shakes the sweats no appetite
                  and now the holiday is coming . I cant go no where in this shape and with so many triggers around.
                  and this ex girlfriend stuff the phone calls come and I just crave a drink.
                  Thanks in advance to everyone

Comment

Newbies Nest

Bobby, it WILL go away- but only if you stay away from the AL!
                    You have made it this far, Bobby- YOU ARE DOING GREAT!!
                    Easter is not an excuse to drink!!! The phone calls are NOT an excuse to drink!!! Just think about it, Bobby. Has drinking solved any of the problems with your ex??
                    Stick here in the nest with us over the Easter weekend, Bobby. We will help you through- You can do this :l
                    :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks starfish

You are totally correct. nothing was solved, just looking at how much I spent on liquor all that time. WOW money wasted. wish I could be one of those people who can moderate, but I did get addicted very easily. Easter will be hard.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Bobby. Why don't you make a list of all the benefits you are gaining from giving up the drink- like saving money!!! Write down every positive that you can think of to stay off the bottle and earn your newbies nest moon. I bet it will be a long list. I know you will feel better, look better, be happier!
                        And what about Easter- surely you can think of some other things to associate Easter with than drinking- right? Spend some of that money you saved on a nice meal- I bet you will feel like eating by Easter Sunday!
                        Come on, Bobby- you can do this!
                        :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

A re-post from the Encouragement thread

This is part of a piece FallenAngel posted today. As we work past this addiction and remake our lives, it would help if we could think of ourselves like this, I think:

FallenAngel;1483703 wrote:
                          A story is told of an Eastern village that, through the centuries, was known for its exquisite pottery. Especially striking were its urns; high as tables, wide as chairs, they were admired around the globe for their strong form and delicate beauty.

Legend has it that when each urn was apparently finished, there was one final step. The artist broke it - and then put it back together with gold filigree.

An ordinary urn was then transformed into a priceless work of art. What seemed finished wasn?t, until it was broken.

So it is with people! Broken by hardships, disappointments and tragedy, they can become disappointed and bitter. But when mended by a hand of infinite patience and love, the finished product will be a work of exquisite beauty and effectiveness; a life that could only reach its wholeness after it was broken.

If you feel broken remember that you are a work of art! And you may not actually be complete until the pieces are reassembled and bonded with a golden filigree of love.
                          We can come out from this stronger than we would have been without the shattering experience of addiction.

:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

:wd:

Yay, bobbys.

You can do it. You sound great, today. I have hope you will start feeling great, too.

-S-

Comment

Newbies Nest

I have to do this, I have some meds to help out but there not working like I was told they would. Just have to keep busy. Just so depressed thinking about the calls, the ex and luckily work is understanding.
                              Thanks to all. this site is great.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Bobbyslife - I'm pretty new to joining on here and only on day 3 of AF days but I just wanted to offer some support too. I have been thinking about Easter as well and how it usually involves drinking when we are with friends. This year, I really want to enjoy all of the company and food without worrying about the wine (is there enough at our friends' home? Should I bring more? Hide some in my bag? Will they notice how much I'm having?). Starfish is right - let's think about the other things we can enjoy associating with Easter. I'll be close by on here all weekend to help myself and will be here to help you too!

Overit and K9 - I went to Zumba this morning. I started taking the classes last fall to gain some strength and change up my cardio (I usually just swim laps). I love it. Plus, today was inspiring because we had a new instructor and she had amazing abs. I hope I can get to that point! Cutting out AL should help for sure. It's kind of a vain reason for quitting AL but I'll use as many reasons to stay AF as I can!

Quest - hope your day is going well so far!

Day 3 is okay so far. I could feel the urge come up a bit when I stopped at Rite Aid for some Easter things for the girls. I saw the wine area. Walked right past. Then thought about it more on the way to the car. But just headed home. My 2 year old and I just had a great lunch and I'm going to start on some more sewing. Need to stay close here today. Man, the triggers are just such a pain!

Comment

Working...
                                X