Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

So sad

jenniech;1487144 wrote: I agree....it affected me differently from day to day depending on how sleep deprived I was, how dehydrated, how hungry....etc. Thing is, it is so sneaky that it can hit you and cause black outs at any time. I fell down my stairs last year and I still have pain in my back from it.
    This person fell down stairs and he is DEAD.
    You just never know so WHY take the chance? Life is too precious.
    I'm so sorry for this family. I've got young adult children of my own, and I know they "party." Ridiculous word for drinking too much.

I've got a couple of flights of stairs to negotiate, which I did after drinking (am now abstaining). I'd ask myself: Is this the night I fall down the stairs and suffer a terrible injury? Of course, my phone would be unreachable, and the awful part: If I was injured, and could get to the phone, my son-in-law might be a first responder. Ugh. Jenniech, sorry you are still suffering with pain; hope you make a full recovery soon!
    Friedabee is "free to be!"

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow Jenni - that's terrible about the young man with so much to live for.

A young girl I worked with a few years ago lost a friend at university in a similar situation. It was during Freshers week (don't know if they call it the same everywhere - but basically the first week of University where all the students get completely wasted every night!). This young lad came back to the Halls after a night of heavy drinking. His room was on the top floor and he decided it would be a great idea to slide down the banister from the top and plunged four floors to his death.

In the UK a few years ago we had a really hard hitting TV advert showing a young lad who was high on drink thinking he had turned into superman, climbing onto scaffolding and leaping off to his death. The fact that they actually made a TV advert warning young people about this type of drink related accident makes me wonder how many other young people are losing their lives this way - tragic!
      Never put off to tomorrow what you can achieve today!

Comment

Newbies Nest

drunk accidents

Saw this in news today:
        The body of a 23-year-old man who skied off into the night after he apparently drank alcohol in a hut on Oregon?s Mount Hood was found submerged in a creek late Sunday, officials said.

Clackamas County Sheriff's Office said it was ?sad to report? the body had been found at about 7:15 p.m. local time (10:15 p.m. ET) Sunday near Highway 26 west of the Ski Bowl Resort.

?Searchers learned that a group of experienced skiers left the boundary of Ski Bowl's west side last night. The group gathered at a hut that is just outside the boundary,? the sheriff?s office said in a statement.

?Investigators learned from a member of the group that alcohol was being consumed and the subject appeared intoxicated,? it said. ?The subject decided to head down the mountain alone but became disorientated when he left.?

He had been in contact with a member of the group via cell phone but was still unable to find his way,? it added.

In a previous statement, the sheriff?s office said the man was last seen at 9 p.m. local time Saturday by campers at Mirror Lake and was reported missing at 11 a.m. Sunday.

It said the man ?had left the group he was with to ski down the mountain. The group made plans to meet up later but the subject did not show up.?

The campers ?had only been in contact with him from across the lake. The campers attempted to direct him to their location but he never arrived,? the earlier statement said.

Pacific Northwest Search and Rescue, Mountain Wave Search and Rescue, American Medical Response Reach and Treat Team, and the Oregon National Guard were involved in the search along with a helicopter.
        I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters!

Kreeves and Fin - Way to go on getting through day 1...now as our Beloved Byrdie says "Rinse and Repeat!" :goodjob:

All this talk about drunk accidents makes me remember all my stupidity. One night I slipped and fell backwards and hit the back of my head on the edge of the table. I had to call for my daughter to help me up. That could have been SO much worse, I'm suprised I didn't get a concussion...or worse! I was in so much pain for weeks but was too embarrassed to tell anybody. Ugh. I am just thankful I survived everything I put myself through!

Blossoms, Jennie, Snap, Friedabee, Running, Lav, Byrdie and everyone else I missed...have a great sober day! Be thankful each day you're alive :h
          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow. All of these accidents are very sad. Especially since every single one was preventable by not drinking. I've often wondered how the sloshed skiers get down the hill. I ski a lot myself but I usually stick to water or tea while up on the mountain... maybe one beer but no more than one. Even though skiing is an easy sport for some, you still have to have your wits about you when skiing down the slope. Wait until you are at the bottom to Apres Ski. This poor guy was skiing down the mountain in the dark... and drunk! Skiing in the dark is dangerous enough (if there are no lights). Just makes me sad.

There are probably countless times I could have been seriously injured or lost my life due to AL. To all of you with falling stories, I have one as well... I was pretty toasty one evening and decided to carry my dog like a baby (WTF?)... ended up falling down the few stairs in our house and landing on my back/tailbone. Luckily my dog was ok but I was left with a HUGE bruise and some serious pain. It could have been so much worse. That is one thing I'm looking forward to by slowing down or completely quitting AL... no longer waking up to unexplainable bruises!

Happy AF Wednesday everyone. Day 3 for me. Love to you all!
            Would you like you, if you met you?

Comment

Newbies Nest

I should be dead 100 times over for all the stupid crap I've done. Luck only runs so deep, so glad to be back fighting the good fight...freeing my life from the evil clutches of AL. I will beat you down! (AL that is :-))
              Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
              Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin;1487270 wrote: I should be dead 100 times over for all the stupid crap I've done. Luck only runs so deep, so glad to be back fighting the good fight...freeing my life from the evil clutches of AL. I will beat you down! (AL that is :-))
                I hear ya Fin. I've just been sitting here thinking about all of the countless times I have driven drunk. Only to wake up and wonder (1) how I got home and (2) where is my car. I finally got a DUI in 2005 which was one of the most horrible experiences I've ever been through. You would think that a DUI would be a wake up call to slow down on drinking. Nope, not for me. Instead, I make sure I have a DD and/or a ride with more responsible friends. How's that for genius? LOL. Geez. I'm in my 30s now so I should know better.

And I'll say it again... I really wish German super markets would NOT sell mini-bottles at the check out counter! Every store is this way... it makes it so difficult for me. Mini-bottles are easy to hide from my husband and make me "think" I'm not drinking that much. I didn't buy any mini-bottles today but geez they sure did stare me down as I paid for my groceries. Sigh.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mein Sonnenschein;1487278 wrote: I hear ya Fin. Mini-bottles are easy to hide from my husband and make me "think" I'm not drinking that much. I didn't buy any but geez they sure did stare me down as I paid for my groceries today. Sigh.
                  Mini bottles? The horror! I swear, we are so f'ed up as a society the way tolerate the promotion at every turn to knock ourselves into a daze. For example, I was in a spin class yesterday and even there the conversation turned to AL - "after climbing __ hill, be sure to stop over at such and such a brewery and give their latest Spring Hoppy IPA a try." I'm thinking, WTF? Is no place sacred?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mein Sonnenschein;1487251 wrote:

That is one thing I'm looking forward to by slowing down or completely quitting AL... no longer waking up to unexplainable bruises.
                    Me too! Don't you hate it when someone says "what happened to you!?" And points to a big bruise but you have no idea where it came from. Surely that's not normal for non drinkers.

Comment

Newbies Nest

One time I fell in the shower and the whole left side of my body was bruised for 3 weeks. Later I felt the beast calling my name and a member here gently reminded me of this "accident"...it was enough to derail the drinking thoughts I had! For me, drinking is not sitting in front of the fire place sipping a drink and getting a happy buzz. For me, it's DUI's, handcuffs and a cellmate named Diablo.

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9, I wonder how Diablo is getting on?
                        Yep, when I have a romantic thought about AL, I quickly remember how I hid it in my closet, and when I'd say I had to use the bathroom, would rush in there and take 7 huge gulps right out of the bottle or box and hide it again. Then I remember hiding the empties...I had 37 one liter boxes one time to get rid of. Yes, that is sexy all right....could you imagine being married to this person? Ugg.....
                        Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1487386 wrote: K9, I wonder how Diablo is getting on?
                          Yep, when I have a romantic thought about AL, I quickly remember how I hid it in my closet, and when I'd say I had to use the bathroom, would rush in there and take 7 huge gulps right out of the bottle or box and hide it again. Then I remember hiding the empties...I had 37 one liter boxes one time to get rid of. Yes, that is sexy all right....could you imagine being married to this person? Ugg.....
                          Byrdie
                          Byrdie, I did the same EXACT thing. I actually did that just this past week. But instead of box wine it was tetra pack wine. I would wait for my husband to leave the house to go for a run, fetch fire wood, take the dog for a walk, take a shower... then I was pouring back the wine from my secret hiding place. Who was I fooling? My husband and his family knew what was up. I would also hide Jack Daniels in my closet at home and do the same thing. "Oh, I need to go to the closet and get a sweater... glug glug glug...".

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening nesters - got day 3 done and dusted !!! Not done that for a loooooooong time

Now preparing to tackle day 4 tomorrow - I am planning to succeed and beat this devil - been such a long time since I've got past 3 days - very happy
                            Trying again from 22nd September 2014 Keeping it simple. Keeping it real.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Quest for the key;1487409 wrote: Evening nesters - got day 3 done and dusted !!! Not done that for a loooooooong time

Now preparing to tackle day 4 tomorrow - I am planning to succeed and beat this devil - been such a long time since I've got past 3 days - very happy
                              Rockin' it, Quest. Well done!

Comment

Newbies Nest

You can do this Quest! We are your groupies and will cheer you on!!!

Byrdie - I was thinking earlier (yes, scary thought) and now that you are the QUEEN OF POLLS, maybe we should have one that asks about attempts at moderating...like who's tried it and failed, who's tried it and succeeded...you get the idea! I can say I failed HORRIBLY!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X