Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

K9Lover;1487445 wrote: You can do this Quest! We are your groupies and will cheer you on!!!

Byrdie - I was thinking earlier (yes, scary thought) and now that you are the QUEEN OF POLLS, maybe we should have one that asks about attempts at moderating...like who's tried it and failed, who's tried it and succeeded...you get the idea! I can say I failed HORRIBLY!!!
    Great idea, K9!!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

NoSugar-
      You had read the post I put in Inchy's chain about becoming AF, you mentioned I should post it here. It is now here, title is "starting out? You might want to read this."
      Hopefully it will help someone.
      BHOG

?Alcohol removes inhibitions - like that scared little mouse who got drunk and shook his whiskers and shouted: "Now bring on that damn cat!"-Eleanor Early

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well, I've nearly been 'stoned' to death for tackling this topic of moderation in the past...but I did live to tell about it. How should I word it??? How was your experience with Long Term Moderating (2 years or more, moderation being 7 units/ wk for female and 14 for male)? Never tried it....tried and failed....am following the guidelines of moderate drinking Something like that? I don't know there is something in that that seems like it's not enough....thoughts? Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Perhaps something along the lines of how long were you able to moderate without falling into old habits? 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, 1 yr?
          Just a thought.
          BHOG

?Alcohol removes inhibitions - like that scared little mouse who got drunk and shook his whiskers and shouted: "Now bring on that damn cat!"-Eleanor Early

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1487468 wrote: Well, I've nearly been 'stoned' to death for tackling this topic of moderation in the past...but I did live to tell about it. How should I word it??? How was your experience with Long Term Moderating (2 years or more, moderation being 7 units/ wk for female and 14 for male)? Never tried it....tried and failed....am following the guidelines of moderate drinking Something like that? I don't know there is something in that that seems like it's not enough....thoughts? Byrdie
            It would be impossible for me to moderate. Particularly because my week quota is always consumed in one day and sometimes in one hour! Oh dear. I am really excited to be on day 5. Has been so much easier with this site.

It's a bit weird being in Australia and posting because I post before I go to sleep and speak about being on day 4. Then when I wake up I post again as day 5 but you guys are still on the same day.

Cheers
            RA

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yeah, RA, the IDL does create some confusion!
              BHOG

Comment

Newbies Nest

Running Aussie;1487475 wrote: It would be impossible for me to moderate. Particularly because my week quota is always consumed in one day and sometimes in one hour! Oh dear. I am really excited to be on day 5. Has been so much easier with this site.

It's a bit weird being in Australia and posting because I post before I go to sleep and speak about being on day 4. Then when I wake up I post again as day 5 but you guys are still on the same day.

Cheers
                RA
                Haha.... I feel the same way about the days I'm one of the first to post on the roll call because I've been on that day for hours.
                I kind of like it now because I'm acknowledging the day as I'm finishing it and it is another success to tick off

Comment

Newbies Nest

BHOG;1487453 wrote: NoSugar-
                  You had read the post I put in Inchy's chain about becoming AF, you mentioned I should post it here. It is now here, title is "starting out? You might want to read this."
                  Hopefully it will help someone.
                  Thanks, BHOG

I have been stalking you - you have such a good way of expressing what we need to hear. I'm not surprised that you are a writer!

Thank you for reposting for a larger audience.

- NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

NoSugar;1487482 wrote: Thanks, BHOG

I have been stalking you - you have such a good way of expressing what we need to hear. I'm not surprised that you are a writer!

Thank you for reposting for a larger audience.

- NS
                    Now I am blushing!
                    BHOG

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yeah Byrdie, I know the moderation vs. abstinence topic is a hot one. I've had my ass feathers set on fire before too. It's not to spark a war or anything, it would just be interesting to see that statistics. I'm sure there are SOME that actually can moderate. They don't even have to say who they are, they can just vote!

Hmmm...now to come up with the right wording so we get the right facts! I like your idea of how long moderation lasted...anywhere from 1 day to indefinitely...
                      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

hi everyone! just want to say well done quest for day3!!

And K9...i love your photos! but are you sure you're 40??? send some of your genes my way!!
                        'The surest way not to fail is to determine to succeed'
                        Richard Brinsley Sheridan

1st goal: 7 days
                        2nd goal: 30 days
                        3rd goal: 3 months

Comment

Newbies Nest

BHOG;1487484 wrote: Now I am blushing!
                          But not FLUSHING because you drank too much! :H

:l NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Prettytulip! And yes I'm SURE I'm 40...the aches and pains are settling in. LOL

The look on my daughters face is her "What is wrong with my mother" look. I see that one a lot.
                            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9, Moderation? Ha-ha...ha!

Yeah, I thought I could do that too. I have now failed 4X since last July after each 30-day AF period. I could handle the moderation for a couple of days and then wham'o, right back to 6-8 IPAs / night. It's a horrible, horrible cycle and then when you are actively moderating, all you can think about is how you're moderating and how unfulfilling it is. I mean, I want my power buzz, not some weak-ass tingle. Plus, I sure as hell wasn't drinking just for the taste and all that's the collective problem with my biology / psychology.

Anyway, to answer to Kuya, I am finally committed to the commitment.
                              Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                              Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

I always deluded myself into thinking I could moderate....I would moderate for ONE DAY....have two glasses of wine instead of the whole bottle....but it was TORTURE so the next day, I would finish off what I left the night before and then have ANOTHER entire bottle.
                                Making up for the night before.

I am in awe of anyone here who can moderate comfortably. That just isn't me. The history of my posts since I first came on to this site is hard cold proof that moderation does not work for me. I may not have ever gotten a DUI, or landed in jail or lost my home or family but I was well on my way to at least harming myself or worse when drunk. I was a quiet, isolated drinker and made a point of not going out or talking to anyone when drunk so was able to hide it pretty well. But I was ABSENT from my family even though I was sitting right there with them.
                                I just won't anymore

Comment

Working...
                                X