Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

K9Lover;1490215 wrote: I sure hope Happy Hipster is OK too...he's always so upbeat and encouraging. I hope his "girls" are ok too.

Jennie and RA - Oh to think of ALL the nights I was too drunk or passed out to have responded to anything that might have happened. Thank goodness it never did...but what if??? And now my daughter is learning to drive...I'm SO thankful that I will never put her in the spot to drive her already drunk mother to the liquor store for more beer. Because I KNOW that would have happened eventually. And she would have done it too, just to prevent ME from driving. What a spot to put a kid in...jeesh. Thank goodness that won't be an issue...

Fin - Glad to see you strong and committed...I have complete faith in you. Hang in there my friend!
    K9, you rock. Thanks as always for stopping by and for the encouragement. You've made some good choices and I aim to do the same.
    Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
    Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Has anyone tried the alcohol free wine (Fre)? We're having a dinner party this weekend and I thought rather than trying to explain to everyone why I wasn't drinking, I might try the alcohol free wine and no one would even notice. It's seems ironic that for so long I covered up excessive drinking and now I almost feel like in certain situations I need to cover up NOT drinking. I don't know why, but I feel a little hesitant about trying the Fre. I'm afraid it might be too much like the real thing? Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kreeves...many enjoy the AF beers that are available....with no adverse affects. The time or two I tried the AF wines (totally AF) I found that it wasn't worth the calories...(funny, I didn't used to care if it was the high octane stuff). It was too sweet even for my low standards. I just drink water with lime or lemon now...I find nobody else really cares what's in my glass. I'd rather eat the calories now than drink them.
        That wasn't a very good answer, but the AF wines have not been met with very good reviews from what I've read around here over the years. It's like, Nice Try, but No thanks!! Hope that makes sense! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

kreeves;1490291 wrote: Has anyone tried the alcohol free wine (Fre)? We're having a dinner party this weekend and I thought rather than trying to explain to everyone why I wasn't drinking, I might try the alcohol free wine and no one would even notice. It's seems ironic that for so long I covered up excessive drinking and now I almost feel like in certain situations I need to cover up NOT drinking. I don't know why, but I feel a little hesitant about trying the Fre. I'm afraid it might be too much like the real thing? Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.
          I've gotten into trouble with AF beers. They left me wanting and on 2X occasions, I feel they led me back to the real thing. I think it's too early for you to play this game. Why not just drink soda water with a little color (pick your juice) mixed in. That's what I do now and love it. It gives me a little hit of sugar and the carbonation fills me up like a beer w/o being too much like a beer. Just my two cents worth.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Fin, that's good information to know! I never drank for the taste anyway, just the dang buzz, so why bother! B
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

kreeves;1490291 wrote: Has anyone tried the alcohol free wine (Fre)? We're having a dinner party this weekend and I thought rather than trying to explain to everyone why I wasn't drinking, I might try the alcohol free wine and no one would even notice. It's seems ironic that for so long I covered up excessive drinking and now I almost feel like in certain situations I need to cover up NOT drinking. I don't know why, but I feel a little hesitant about trying the Fre. I'm afraid it might be too much like the real thing? Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.
              Kreeves....I have tried sparking ciders, but like Byrdie said it was just too sweet for me. I mix pure cranberry with soda water and a squeeze of lemon....It is YUMMY, and the pure cranberry juice is good for you (not the fake juice concentrate) a little bit goes a long way though, it is quite bitter if you put too much in. For me I know that I am too early to even think about NA beers. I felt like I had to hide not drinking at first, now I just tell people it is a lifestyle choice I have made to NOT drink, most have been pretty respectful of my choice. Just my 2 cents worth.
              "Sometimes the strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, cry behind closed doors and fight battles that nobody knows about".
              ~Author Unknown
              AF since February 4, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1490339 wrote: Hey Fin, that's good information to know! I never drank for the taste anyway, just the dang buzz, so why bother! B
                Exactly.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kreeves,
                  I tried AF wine ONE time and I'd never have it again. If Byrdie has low standards for wine, I have NO standards for wine and I thought it was disgusting!! I could drink it out of a plastic bottle with a flip lip if it has alcohol in it...but to drink AF and have it taste gross...no way. I agree that you should have something sparkling and fizzy, and who cares what others think, this is your life, not theirs.
                  Good luck!
                  K9
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9Lover;1490377 wrote: Kreeves,
                    I tried AF wine ONE time and I'd never have it again. If Byrdie has low standards for wine, I have NO standards for wine and I thought it was disgusting!! I could drink it out of a plastic bottle with a flip lip if it has alcohol in it...but to drink AF and have it taste gross...no way. I agree that you should have something sparkling and fizzy, and who cares what others think, this is your life, not theirs.
                    Good luck!
                    K9
                    I was the same, I'd throw any old crap down my throat- so long as it had alcohol in it! But, AF drinks...boy am I fussy!
                    'The surest way not to fail is to determine to succeed'
                    Richard Brinsley Sheridan

1st goal: 7 days
                    2nd goal: 30 days
                    3rd goal: 3 months

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you guys for the suggestions on the AF wine/beer. I will probably just stick with my Cascade Ice which as really worked in helping me with cravings. Wishing a good evening to all of my MWO comrades.

Comment

Newbies Nest

kreeves;1490399 wrote: Thank you guys for the suggestions on the AF wine/beer. I will probably just stick with my Cascade Ice which as really worked in helping me with cravings. Wishing a good evening to all of my MWO comrades.
                        What is Cascade Ice?
                        "Sometimes the strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, cry behind closed doors and fight battles that nobody knows about".
                        ~Author Unknown
                        AF since February 4, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin;1490154 wrote: I now feel 100% committed to this life long, life changing, life afirming behavioral change. Thank You!
                          Fin, the optimism and determination in this comment give me strength and inspiration. Thank you:thanks:
                          'The surest way not to fail is to determine to succeed'
                          Richard Brinsley Sheridan

1st goal: 7 days
                          2nd goal: 30 days
                          3rd goal: 3 months

Comment

Newbies Nest

prettytulip;1490407 wrote: Fin, the optimism and determination in this comment give me strength and inspiration. Thank you:thanks:
                            Cool. I actually helped someone?! So far it feels like I've been all take and no give, so thanks for the "thanks". Have a great evening everyone.

Being good,
                            -Fin

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin;1490409 wrote: Cool. I actually helped someone?! So far it feels like I've been all take and no give, so thanks for the "thanks". Have a great evening everyone.

Being good,
                              -Fin
                              You help us by just being here...so don't go anywhere!!! :l
                              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9Lover;1490413 wrote: You help us by just being here...so don't go anywhere!!! :l
                                Ha! And miss your bright sunny face? Never.

Comment

Working...
                                X